The Ant Bully Reviews

3niR
July 17, 2010
A good movie for the children. Although I enjoyed it too.
DreamExtractor
½ July 31, 2011
Stupid in my opinion, really not even a time waster.
November 21, 2007
This cartoon is pretty good. Has lessons on being aware of your environment and working together. They didn't bother with trivialities like the ant colony having only female ants, etc.
maxthesax
½ April 28, 2011
The Ant Bully is a nice bit of animation - short and sweet, with good pacing and enough humor to keep you smiling, even though the message is a bit overbearing (the whole, "it takes a village/no man is an island" bit).

The story for the most part centers on the Ant Colony's point of view, which is a nice switch, even though a young boy is the featured character. Said young boy, called Peanut by his mother, is picked on by a larger boy, so he takes his frustration out on something smaller than he is; the ant colony. Amongst the characters in the ant colony is a wizard (voiced by Nicholas Cage, who must have been preparing for The Sorcerer's Apprentice or something). The Wizard comes up with a potion that renders Peanut (who the Ants call "The Destroyer") down to ant size. From here we have a fish out of water tale (kind of like Avatar - yeah Jhon, I knew that would get your attention), where Peanut learns some life lessons about community and teamwork.

During the course of the film we meet an ant scout, full of bravado and himself, and a forager drill sergeant (voiced by Regina King) who puts the young foragers through boot camp. On the human side we have Peanut's whacked out Grandma who is preparing for an alien invasion, and a pest exterminator named Beals whose company is called.... Wait for it... Beals A Bug.

Through it all the film keeps you smiling in a lightweight sort of way. There's nothing really revolutionary or exceptional, just harmless humor and entertainment as the colony deals with a mosquito attack (complete with the Flight of The Valkaries soundtrack that was used in Apocalypse Now), and a harrowing chase scene involving frogs.

The best part of this film for me was that Julia Roberts was one of the voices - hurray, a film in which I didn't have to look at her ugly mug. I wish the film had been more successful so perhaps she'd do a career change - it would sure make my film viewing life better.

This is the type of film that rates a firm 6.5 - entertaining, but certainly not mind bending and light years away from the depth of most Pixar films - though still worth a viewing.
michael e.
January 5, 2011
a very funny and creative movie, though it borrows heavily from "Antz" it still adds some new things and for that it works
thmtsang
½ November 10, 2007
Lucas is being bullied and he takes out his frustation on an ant hill. The ants shrink him down to his size and force him to conform and work with them.
June 26, 2010
C
November 27, 2006
Had my wife not checked The Ant Bully out of the library I never would've bothered or even thought to bother with it. Admittedly its the typical story with a positive message with CG animation and celebrity voices but like most of those movies its got a few random parts that are so odd it makes you think more of it. I'll probably never see it again but I certainly don't regret seeing it.
½ August 9, 2006
Pretty good and somewhat funny. Not too shabby for a kids movie.
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ February 15, 2007
Well... pretty good story for the kids... They can learn something after watching this movie...
July 25, 2006
This movie was so much better than I had expected. After seeing Dreamworks' Antz a few years ago, I thought this movie was going to be a rehash of a not-so-good movie. But it was a lot better. The story is so much more inspired and creative. The animation (as is typical of anything being produced nowadays) was amazing and the sequences were expertly and beautifully art directed. With an Antz inclination and a plot that slants toward the Honey, I Shrunk The Kids side, this movie brings adventure to what could've been a very insipid look at ants and their anthropomorphic attriibutes and lifestyle. Lucas Nickle is very endearing as the 10-year-old bully who is bullied himself. The story ends up being one of friendship and understanding the differences between each other and the similarities we share. The moral ends up being one of forgiveness and working with those who torment you. Themes of forgiveness and absolution (for lack of calling it "redemption") abound. Definitely watch this movie if you're into cute stuff with a cute message.
½ December 2, 2011
Stupid in my opinion, really not even a time waster.
Bradley T. Johnson
½ March 27, 2010
Not like some animated movies flooding into theaters, The Ant Bully is a sweet, funny, and adorable little film into an ant sized world. Sure to please families. Overall Rating:72
½ June 22, 2011
I feel, as an insect movie, this beat both the mediocre Antz and Disney Pixar's masterful A Bug's Life in regards to animation. There were times where it looked like real ants and not computer generated blobs. I also thought the star voice cast did well, but the dialogue was uneven and at the end of the day it's only really meant for little kids.
½ July 24, 2011
it's small and bold on it's family diolauge and humor, but large and desprite on worn out gags and unclever plots. C
½ April 9, 2012
Boring, Only wanted to watch it because of Julia and Meryl, total bomb
½ September 13, 2011
Could have been more clever if it wasn't for any corny dialogue and a slightly lacking storyline, but it does stand out with decent animation and witty humor.
½ October 4, 2007
Quite a good kids movie, really. Full of good morals and sensible ideas, while still being a fun movie.
½ November 1, 2007
I did like Cage's character in this but at the end of the day if you want to watch an animated insect film Antz is still by far the best - and not only because it has Christopher Walken and Sylvester Stallone as ants - mainly because it bigs up individuality, this one bigs up communism.
sjcole4
September 6, 2009
They try to do some interesting things with this one to make it seem fresh, and surprisingly it stands on its own and is sufficiently original when compared with A Bug's Life and Antz. But it's not sufficiently original when compared with most other animated films since the overall story is somewhat a cliche at this point. The animation is solid and the themes (especially anything dealing with religion) are cleverly tackled. Most of the voice work is also solid, although some performances seem phoned in and uninspired. Of course that could be due to the fact that Nic Cage is too prominent in the film. It could've spent maybe a little bit more time developing characters and it does come off a bit heavy-handed sometimes, but not so much that it's unbearable. Now can Hollywood please retire animated films with ants as the main characters!