47% The Other Woman Apr 25

97% Orphan Black: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Antiviral Reviews

December 21, 2013
Very strange.....long and drawn out. It seemed to lack cohesion. The overall concept, however, was interesting to think about.
April 22, 2013
This movie establishes David Cronenberg's son, Brandon Cronenberg, as a filmmaker to be on the lookout for, and one who (unsurprisingly) tackles similar subject matter as well. In this film, Caleb Landry Jones (X-MEN: FIRST CLASS) plays an employee of a clinic which sells viruses that have been in celebrities. This idea, which takes the commodification of celebrity to the extreme, is what's at the heart of the movie. The concept is fully explored, and doesn't pull any punches when it comes to showing the graphic implications of its premise. The only faults I find with it is that the social commentary tends to be rather on the head, and that the tone of the movie could have been a little more visceral. Still, it's a worthy feature debut and highly recommended for fans of "body horror."
December 8, 2013
One line summary: Future horror thriller: diseases are big business, lucrative crime, and silent weapons.

--------------------------

Edward Porris reports to a clinic to get infected with the same disease that celebrity Hannah Geist has. Syd is his handler and the protagonist of the film. He reassures people to keep going with their stated choices.

Syd is also a part of the celebrity meat market. Cells from celebrities are used to reproduce (in relatively large quantities) muscle tissue that is sold as steaks and the like. Arvid is his contact in the meat sales.

Syd gets a new sample from Hannah Geist, and gives it to himself. He's knocked out for a while. When he wakes up, Hannah is dead, and Syd was one of the last people to see her alive. Arvid would like Syd to give him a sample of this, since Arvid could make a huge profit on it. Syd claims not to have any knowledge of what killed her.

Everyone is up in arms about Hannah's passing, especially at the Lucas Clinic, the company where Syd works. Syd stays ill, and consults with Arvid, who takes him to Levine. Levine forcibly takes a sample of the Hannah Geist pathogens. Syd tries to escape, but he is way too weak. They dump him on the street later. Nice. Thugs from another group kidnap him. They take him to Dr. Abendroth, who has come from Germany to do an autopsy on Hannah. First, though, the doctor wishes to see what is happening with the living specimen, Syd.

Doctor Abendroth tells him that the virus he has was designed to deflect diagnosis, but that he had gotten around the viruses protections. Hannah is still alive, but further along in the disease. They talk. Hannah's family has traced the disease back to Lucas Clinic, and hope that Syd will find out who at Lucas designed it. Syd has to retrace his steps, this time with an entirely different purpose.

Something sinister is afoot. Will Syd be able to help Hannah? Will he survive the effort?

------Scores-------

Cinematography: 8/10 Bad in a few spots (jerky camera and the like), but mostly fine quality.

Sound: 10/10 No problems.

Acting: 8/10 Much better than I expected. Caleb Landry Jones and Malcolm McDowell were quite good.

Screenplay: 8/10 Good story, well developed in the narration of deep corruption.
NeuroMan42
December 4, 2013
Brandon Cronenberg's film is disturbingly frightening in the aspect that many of the "Celebrity Fetish" methods I can seen coming true in less than five to ten years. Chilling indeed.
Madmartigan
November 28, 2013
Shite. A mildly interesting premise squandered. Not enough happens and the depth of the lead is acting sick.
November 25, 2013
showing us the situation of the world which corrupt and obsessed. the story is about Syd March is employed by the Lucas Clinic, a company which purchases viruses and other pathogens from celebrities who fall ill, in order to inject them into clients who desire a connection with celebrities. In particular, the pathogens supplied by the Lucas Clinic's exclusive celebrity Hannah Geist are extremely popular. the situation more complicated because Syd also must keep his life after he injected himself blood from Hannah which is infected by virus they both didn`t know. this movie promising us a gross idea but didn`t give us a supporting gross scene, this movie will probably dissapointed you if you expect big expectation from the idea. but this movie give us an outstanding visual screen and great cinematography which treat our eyes with clever combination of colours. a unique idea of movie but really dissapointing with execution.
November 24, 2013
Antiviral tells the story of a future celebrity-obsessed society where its citizens pay money to become injected with the same viruses which have plagued their favorite stars. Not only that but they can eat celebrity steaks (grown from celebrity cells). Antiviral is a shocking and grotesque social commentary and I can only recommend this for the patient (as it seems to drag on and on at times) and also for the strong stomached crowd (which is definitely not me as I spent numerous scenes cringing under a blanket). You decide.
November 23, 2013
Interesting satire; much more artsy than the average independent movie. Not bad, but maybe a little too creepy.
November 23, 2013
Obsession with celebrities has reached extreme levels in Brandon Cronenberg's dark dystopian flick. Fans wanting to feel closer to their heroes and heroines can now purchase viruses and other ailments the stars have been afflicted with and voluntarily be injected with the same symptoms. When Syd March of Lucas Clinic injects himself with the latest virus from superstar Hannah Geist, he is stunned to discover that the illness is terminal. With Hannah and Syd both dying, he must try and find a cure for himself and for his company's star attraction. Dark, thought-provoking and depicting a future that could become a reality one day, Antiviral is worth a look.
ivoonaa
November 20, 2013
skroz me nebi iznenadila ovakva buducnost
John W.
November 17, 2013
Brendan Cronenberg (son of surreal icon David) delivers a sleek, slick, cautionary tale for our celebrity obsessed culture. Antiviral plays with some interesting ideas, but it is a bit uneven and lacking in sublety and depth.
November 17, 2013
I struggled with this. It's certainly got the hallmarks of a Cronenberg movie, but none of the magic.
libbeymatt
April 8, 2013
I enjoyed this ... outlines the obsession of celebrities and how far people will go to emulate them.
November 10, 2013
Visually intriguing in its simplicity, a journey into a bizarre concept.
April 14, 2013
Antiviral is no horror film; a shock film, yes. It was pretty gross seeing people eating human, celebrity meat, but it wasn't horrific. En gros, I liked the film and was interested by its story, but despite my appreciation, I wouldn't watch it again
November 3, 2013
An odd movie but, I think, a great premise. I give it a 5/10 rating, and most of those points come from the premise: in the not too far distant future, celebrity worship has gotten so out of hand that companies now market diseases carried by celebs and sell them to adoring fans who can be that much closer to their celeb idols. What the...

Great concept. Justin Bieber allegedly spat on fans recently, and I suspect some of them took pleasure in that. Much in the same way people like sweat from rock heroes at concerts, etc. This film just takes it to the next level. She has herpes...you can have herpes just like her! It'll be just like she kissed you.

The concept is about the only plus. I did not like the lead actor, who seemed to do the same thing over and over and do it poorly and too much. I did not like the lack of color. Some call the premise lame, but I think it's great. Why not make it a setting we can relate to instead of everything being so surgical white, even outside the lab? I mean the lead actor's skin is even so pale, and the food he eats, etc. Finally, it's just so weird and hard to follow. It took me three sittings to get through the movie as it is a little slow and comes in at just under two hours. But I did want to finish it. Then the finish left me a little empty as I'm not even sure what the hell I watched.

Anyway, like the premise, and I like the idea of the machine that can read a virus, put a face to it, and give people in the know the ability to change it to a customer's liking...all the while changing the virus so it can not be transmitted again (like a copyright). Very imaginative writing in that regard. Other than that, just too weird and hard to follow. The one guy using stem cells or whatever to grow steaks that people eat!? I think people might actually inject blood, etc of celebs. But eating them is just a bit too far.
November 1, 2013
"Cronenberg Jr. has created a reality that makes the skin crawl. Satire, horror and sci-fi meld into one delectably gruesome tale in which Caleb Landry Jones' pasty protagonist spends most of the film clutching a thermometer, syringe and a vial of blood." "Beautiful cinematography and music."
October 23, 2013
Two Caleb Landry Jones' films in a row. Another creepy character of him, spooky!
Fairly suspense; only the plot is rather complicated & difficult, plus kinda slow & long.
Tyler V.
October 22, 2013
There are moments I like, for instance each time he has a "customer" in his office and he gives the little spiel about how perfect the celebrity is. But ultimately, I find the whole thing pretentious, and the plot, quite frankly, kind of stupid.
October 21, 2013
Brandon Cronenberg shows off a nice visual style, modest pacing and a film that's very reminiscent of his fathers early, grungy body-horrors. Like a few of his fathers early films, it's not perfect. The lack of outright horror and set pieces doesn't make it an easy watch, especially being 15 minutes shy of 2 hours. Yet, there is plenty to admire about this film to make it worth getting through. Caleb Jones, who previously annoyed me in an X-Men film, is unconventional and deadpan but the delivery works to the character and the films advantage. The idea, once you're able to grasp it, is unique and played out realistically. It's very reminiscent of a Black Mirror episode and has a brilliantly Cronenbergy end. Worth watching if you're into your horror films that deal with ideas rather than scares and if you miss the old school David Cronenberg than this might be a nice way to reminisce.