Antz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Antz Reviews

½ December 23, 2010
The greatest delight of this entertaining film is to see that it has Woody Allen's fingerprints all over it, mainly in the protagonist's insecurities and neurosis, but the animation does not seem exactly fluid and natural when it comes to its wooden-faced, stiff-looking characters.
½ August 27, 2011
Brilliant animated feature, Antz is a fun, entertaining picture that is a must watch for viewers of all ages. What makes the film work so well is the varied cast of talented voice actors who bring great characters alive, and it is elevated with a great story and stunning animation. I heavily enjoyed the film, and though it was a worthy film to watch, And what's great about the film, is that it wasn't made by Pixar, and it just goes to show that other studios have managed to get animated magic as well with their features. Antz is a well made feature, a film that looks stunning, and is fun to look at and enjoy. The story is engaging as well, and the cast, like I stated is wonderful, and they each bring some terrific voice acting to the roles they portray, and it's what makes the film really stand out among other animated features. If you're a genre fan, you'll surely love this one. The film may not be a Pixar feature, but it nonetheless succeeds at capturing the viewer's attention due to a fine story, terrific animation and enough humor to appeal to viewers of all ages or anyone looking for a fine animated comedy. Antz works well on many levels, it's a film that manages to succeed on nearly every level and with its cast of voice actors, and they manage to give much more depth to the film, as well as having an entertaining and humorous visual sense that make Antz a film that is well worth your time, and it is a film that ranks among the finest computer animated features ever made. If you're a fan of animated films, give Antz a shot, it's a visually striking feature with terrific storytelling, and effective voice performances to really make this an enjoyable and highly memorable feature.
Market Man
½ August 16, 2012
Many adult themes are presented in this film; that's what makes it great. The story itself is a good and keeps the audience engaged. This isn't your typical animated film. It's dark, violent, and at times even depressing. It's more deep and not very childish, but that is what makes it stand out.
½ July 28, 2006
Such a metaphorical film for many issues. Woody Allen was a great choice for the main character here, a great film to teach the kids about individuality.
Directors Cat
½ November 13, 2011
As smart as Pixar's "A Bugs Life" is. Antz is smarter. However it isn't as funny. Both have their flaws but like Bugs Life its family entrtainment that isn't too bland for adults. It's less colourful than Bugs Life but it instead has a complex story.
September 6, 2010
It's always been funny to me that this movie and A Bug's Life came out around the same time. They appear similar, but really this one has a deeper, and better story. It isn't only entertaining and cute like A Bug's Life is.
½ October 29, 2011
As a child I would watch when I could, can't say much has changed, but it still has a fun storyline to watch, for once I can admire Sylvester, mostly because he isn't actually on screen, but a really good, family film, kept me quiet so there's a hint.
½ August 25, 2011
I really REALLY liked this movie for the simple fact that on the surface of it, it appeared to be a kids movie, but when you scratch the surface of it, really its just a deliciously constructed metaphor for communism. Its a Bugs Life on crack. Awesome movie with some pretty convincing names, including the king of neurosis, Woody Allen.
April 24, 2011
47%??? This movie wasnt as good as Bugs Life but come on people, it was an animated achievment at the time. The plot was interesting, the characters were quirky but fun, and Woody Allen can sure have a funny voice. But this movie swears, who wants to show their kids that. Anyway, the movie is good, but not great.
June 24, 2011
A childhood favourite and a classic!
michael e.
January 5, 2011
One of dreamworks best movies and had a great cast, great comedy, great animation, great drama, and great struggles in the film
Movie Monster
½ October 3, 2010
While Pixar's "A Bug's Life" is a film about insects aimed at children, Dreamworks Animations's debut film "Antz" is very similar but aimed at the more sophisticated older audience.

A troubled ant named Z is a worker ant who dosen't like to work. His friend who is a soldier ant decide to switch places. Z is then dragged into a brutal war with termites (which is an awesome scene), and gets stranded with the Princess of the ant colony. While trying to get back home, they run into hilarious mischeif and fall in love in the process. Sounds like a good plot but the film is very smart that little children won't get very much out of it. Not to mention, this film has some pretty surprising language for PG-Rated animated flick.

It's not one of the best animation films out there but its worth watching.

"You the ant!"
December 9, 2008
Satiric and structured, it's another Woody Allen project that is a winner in my book.
July 21, 2010
The Gandiman
½ July 12, 2010
Ill-scripted and uninteresting
June 8, 2010
I saw this as a kid and didn't like it - probably because it's not really a kids movie. It's an animated Woody Allen movie! So much angst and neuroticism. I'm not a great fan of Woody's trademark hedging around though.
January 22, 2010
I did not find this movie anywhere as good as people say it is! A Bug's Life is a million times better!
½ November 19, 2009
A weak attempt from Woody Allen and Dreamworks to cash in on computer generated technology. It is the ugly cousin of Bug's Life, a far better film. This is a bland script with cheesy dialogue and uninteresting characters.
½ May 29, 2007
Woody Allen! I love that ending homage to Allen's beloved New York, with Doris Day heading off the closing credits. The animation is far worse than A Bug's Life, but as a story, I like Antz better. While I wouldn't say the movie is particularlly colorful in respect to bugs and their lives, the dialogue is pure Woody, and because of that, it is hilarious. This is also probably the inception of Disney hiring famous actors to do voicework, but somehow - at least in this film - it doesn't detract.
August 24, 2006