20% The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Any Given Sunday Reviews

jjb3332003
March 18, 2009
Typical Oliver Stone melodrama.
July 14, 2007
The greatest football movie ever...
July 8, 2014
This starts out as one of Stone's more promising recent films, but after the first half hour, it descends into a mire of too many characters and subplots to really hold your interest. At nearly 3 hours, this is far too long to support it's main plot line, which is a fairly familiar rise-and-fall, lessons learned sports narrative. The film becomes a blur of subplots and hyperkinetic editing ... I couldn't wait for it to end. At what point in his career did Al Pacino become such an uniteresting actor?
November 27, 2009
Great football with some dark comedy very good acting
June 24, 2014
Although I was not the biggest fan of Oliver Stone, since Any Given Sunday boasted a very skilful cast I went ahead and watched it anyway.

Any Given Sunday is a little too ambitious for Oliver Stone's own good.
I'm not such a big fan of NFL, but I like a good sports movies. But Any Given Sunday is far from good. The problem is that it has a scale too big for it to reach. The fact is that there are good characters in Any Given Sunday, but there is a surplus of them and not all of them are that interesting. There is a central plot and a lot of subplots, but occasionally Oliver Stone fails to make the right elements interesting. For instance, the main story in Any Given Sunday did not appeal to me, but some of the subplots, particularly the one surrounding Dr. Harvey Mandrake. The general story did not feel like it had the heart of a good sports movies and was a little too political for my tastes. The excess of talking and the lack of actual sport in the film rendered flat results. The fact is that Oliver Stone nad John Logan are unable to craft much of an entertaining story for Any Given Sunday, and Oliver Stone gets so caught up in his own self indulgent direction that he is unable to realise how the slow pace of the film and extensive length do no favours to a movie already suffering from a flat and uninspiring sports film. So Any Given Sunday is not an example of him in top form.
Although Any Given Sunday has a decent visual style thanks to some consistently good cinematography and nice scenery as well as some powerful editing, and this shows particularly during the football sequences because everything is choreographed well and filmed to be very entertaining, yet Any Given Sunday is way too focused on talking about the games instead of actually having the characters play them which makes it a thoroughly boring film. I cannot sit through nearly three hours of melodramatic writing without being bored to death, so Any Given Sunday was not a film I could enhoy. It had some nice parts and the football match scenes were executed very well, but the simple fact is that the film is too focused on talking to really soar. If what the characters were discussing was genuinely more entertaining then I could let the problem go, but Any Given Sunday was really just a 162 minute long story recycled from many superior sports movies. For me, Any Given Sunday was not the exhilarating and gritty film that I could have been and was instead just an overly ambitious film which could not honestly pick a path to take and instead skewed off in many directions only to reach a formulaic conclusion. To put it simply, Any Given Sunday is a long, slow and boring film which doesn't really introduce much new to the sports film genre and it doesn't make me a bigger fan of gridiron than I already was. There is no rush, little excitement, and above all, barely any entertainment to justify everything, and if not for the actors, there would have honestly been nothing to keep me watching Any Given Sunday after the first half of the film.
The cast is the only thing in Any Given Sunday that really gives the film any consistent power aside from the musical score and the soundtrack, and in all honesty it was worth watching the film to see them act it all out.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think that Al Pacino is the greatest actor in existence, and even though Any Given Sunday did not entertain me, the lead performance of Al Pacino did. Although he gets stuck with material that is rudimentary and repetitive, he manages to make a compelling effort as the lead because of the way that he just dominates the screen whenever he is present. He gets himself involved deeply in the film and is not afraid to shout his way through things which he does with firm emotional power and dedication to the material, so he turns in another impressive lead effort. Al Pacino is terrific in Any Given Sunday, particularly in his scenes with Jamie Foxx, and so he makes it slightly better.
Jamie Foxx also turns in an impressive performance in Any Given Sunday. From a time before his international recognition for playing Ray Charles in his Academy Award winning performance in Ray, Jamie Foxx portrayed "Steamin" Willy Beamin in Any Given Sunday and did it powerfully. He charged fast with the dedicated power of a football player and delivered his lines with genuine strength and gusto which leads him to a charismatic performance. Jamie Foxx is spot on in Any Given Sunday, and his supporting performance is powerful enough to make his scenes fairly good.
Dennis Quaid is also vibrant in Any Given Sunday. Within the matter of a few scenes he is able to use his emotional power as an actor to snatch the attention of viewers and earn their respect. He grips his character with a powerful tenacity and projects his true acting brilliance into the role very well. Dennis Quaid just continues to impress me.
James Woods is also a great presence in Any Given Sunday. His supporting effort captures his natural charisma and instantly makes him an entertaining screen presence which he manages to keep consistent during the brief time he is one screen. His supporting role is small, yet it is pivotal because his character contributes enough to the story to make it slightly more interesting. James Woods is terrific in Any Given Sunday.
Cameron Diaz also delivers a powerful dramatic performance, and Matthew Modine did his part well.

But despite a dedicated cast, Any Given Sunday is nothing but an overly long and slow film which spends more time talking about football than it does actually playing it.
June 6, 2008
Perfect sports movie. Strong, intense and full of basic emotions. A really good movie.
June 18, 2014
I had no idea what was going on here but an enjoyable sports flick. Pacino's quality, McGinley is comedy gold and a serious twitch off Diaz. Nice twist at the end aswell.
john o.
August 21, 2011
It's okay, pretty boring at some points but all round entertaining.
jimoss23
October 5, 2013
Willie Fukin Beaman, this movie put Jamie Foxx on the acting map, it showed he was more than a Comedian.. Al killed his coaching role as well.
January 12, 2012
Great movie. Great acting, kinda clich√ (C) story and plot formula.
March 23, 2014
If Pacino were not so watchable, it would be a fairly jumbled bust.
March 8, 2014
The leader can never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert. -- Vince Lombardi
September 15, 2009
Oliver stone is the last person i would expect to make a football movie. This feels like he is simultaneously glorifying the sport while criticizing it. Maybe the first part is just a show so he could sneak in the second. I still don't think the multi cut sudo stream of continuousness style that was more present in natural born killers works. Cameron Diaz dosen't feel right. Jim Brown really surprised me actually, you don't expect a former pro football player turned actor for a career of mostly B movies to be good but i though he was great. I have lots of feeling on this average movie.
February 21, 2014
classic. best pro football film.
February 15, 2014
A very concise and I believe somewhat believable take on the NFL. This movie is great for sports fans and shows up on a lot of best of... lists. Al Pacino is a great coach with some memorable lines. Unfortunately, this is a Cameron Diaz movie. Movies that she is featured in tend to be horrid. Don't believe me? Look at her track record. I digress. Any Given Sunday is the ultimate football movie this side of Remember the Titans.
February 13, 2014
Back when Pacino still had it! One of Stone's most solid films! Amazing cast, delivering great perfomances. Beautifully shot and edited. Fine choice of music!
January 31, 2014
Would rate as a whole 3 stars but for whatever reason Cameron Diaz is terrible in this. Lot of both really good and really bad stuff in here.
January 25, 2014
While this definitely could have been better, I was thoroughly entertained and captivated by the movie despite its cliches. The cast is great, and the performances from main actors definitely enhance the overall quality of the film.
July 9, 2013
Maybe the last 45 minutes saves it (I didn't make it that far), but no audience should have to sit through this much shallowness and cliche.
December 7, 2013
I'm a football fan, not so much a fan of NFL with the way they've tried to tone down the violence in recent years. Figured I would watch this since Pacino's halftime speech is probably one of the most famous part of the movie. Pacino is a coach who is under fire under the new management of the team played by Cameron Diaz. His top 2 QBs go down to injuries, so he has to use cocky and arrogant Jamie Foxx. The game action is well done, however I felt it was way too overproduced. Too much shaky cam, filtering, motion blur, and other things that don't really add anything. It is a nice look at the down on the field action, but it also tries too hard to make it stylized. Also, there's not really much to the film beyond the conflict of Diaz and Pacino, their isn't as much of a focus on the football team like other movies, so I don't care if the team wins or loses. I know they tried to make it so everyone is savage, not just the action on the field, but the locker room politics as well as the top office politics. It just forgets to make it interesting. Should have been much better, it really shows its age and doesn't tell an interesting story.