• R, 1 hr. 48 min.

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Anything Else Reviews

Jason S

January 7, 2008
This wasn't very good. The story was bleah and the actors didn't seem to put out performances at all. I didn't care what happened to any of these people halfway through.
Alice S

December 31, 2007
I dislike movies about seasoned pros imparting advice to wide-eyed proteges. In terms of Woody's oeuvre, there was too much didacticism and not enough heart...
Jennifer X

July 16, 2007
it was kind of eerie to see american pie jason biggs emulate woody allen so accurately. christina ricci was uneven but she's completely gorgeous and i can understand why jason biggs is obsessed with her. evokes classic woody allen humor and falters at times but generally it's all good fun. i wouldn't consider it one of the better woody allen films but this is a movie where woody is thoroughly comfortable with his style and i think, in the later years, creates some variations. i want to hurt people who are all annie hall BLAH BLAH this and that. allen's not going to make another annie hall, but his style has always be the same. get over yourselves! all allen films are inherently the same and different.
James A

March 20, 2006
For the first time in my life I had to just stop watching a movie due to boredom and shotty diologue.
Yinalí R

June 6, 2008
I seriously thought this was going to be about some romantic comedy we naturally see. I was SO wrong, in so many levels. This movie is about little psychos who can drain someone, a "life sucker" if you will. Very well done, some plot holes but it's good in general. Woody Allen (always) makes it worth a watch.
Mike T

August 5, 2006
One of the best films of 2003. The way Woody Allen's current work is so frequently shunned by audiences and film critics is shameful. He is a relevant, extremely skilled filmmaker, and this piece of work fits nicely into his brilliant career. It's a beautifully photographed piece - Allen's only movie to be filmed using an anamorphic ratio aside from Manhattan. Jason Biggs is charming in the lead, and he shares fantastic screen chemistry with Woody Allen. Christina Ricci is top-notch as a confused, neurotic character, and all the supporting roles are filled nicely as well. Everything I want from a romantic comedy, and so much more. Anything Else is great.
Jossepi
Jossepi

May 16, 2009
I thought this film is way underrated. You'll have to be a "reader" or "intelligent" to understand fully what Allen achieved in Anything Else. It was hilarious and classic. Definitely worth watching twice for the memorable sayings. If you are into boring, senseless bloodbath action, this is not for you.
qtmemoe
qtmemoe

April 28, 2009
This movie sucked! I LIKE Christina Ricci but this was one of Woody Allen's worst!
Sunil J

April 25, 2008
Has moments but not very good.
kenscheck
February 27, 2014
Woody Allen makes yet another relationship comedy, one that has an average script (for Allen), and is lead by an uneven performance from Jason Biggs. I enjoyed Christina Ricci, and I thought the film was at it's best when Allen was on screen...but Biggs would be uncomfortable and awkward one scene, then mildly decent in the next, and then the whole film relies on the narration by Biggs which is stiff and emotionless throughout. I don't know if he was nervous to be working with Allen or what, but his performance is weak. I might've enjoyed this more with another lead actor in the part...as it stands it is an average Woody Allen comedy that lacks the spark of his earlier work.
June 25, 2013
there's always something else to look for life but good and bad not a bad film i found myself thinking of happier times that once was overall i thought the film was really good and quite the story kudos to the cast and director and special thanks to Jason Biggs and Christinia Ricci lovely comedy
June 23, 2012
What this movie really amounts to is... nothing. It's a lot of dialogue, a bit of monologue, and a whooooole lot of beating around the bush and avoiding anything resembling a plot. But somehow, it works anyway. Christina Ricci is as quirky and fun as ever, and Jason Biggs is much less annoying than he was in the American Pie movies. The dialogue is fun and entertaining, and even though there's really no point, I enjoyed it anyway.
February 8, 2007
While some have called this Woody Allen's all-time worst film, I have to disagree. It's certainly no masterpiece - it's largely bland and uninspired - but there is a sort of gentle inoffensive charm to it, especially Christina Ricci's cheerfully disorganized portrayal of Amanda. If anyone but Allen had made this movie it wouldn't have been that bad. It's only in comparison to his other works, many of which I would consider masterpieces, that this ranks pretty far down in the canon.
June 6, 2011
You are Jerry Falk(Jason Biggs) & your Mentor is Woody Allen, & he's who you go to for advice, you might be in big trouble:
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Yada, Yada, Yada, & more mindless talk, Hot Psycho Cheating Girlfriend(Christina Ricci), Blah, Blah, Blah,Blah, more Yada Yada Yada,Whine, Whine, Whine, JUST SHOOT ME IF THIS IS ALL THERE IS
macabrescribe
October 30, 2009
Anything Else is most definitely not Woody Allen's best picture. It has great moments and lines, but the movie itself is very anticlimactic. Jason Biggs does not give a praiseworthy performance, and Christina Ricci isn't any more notable. I'm not sure if it is deliberate, but the characters portrayed by Jason Biggs and Woody Allen are too similar. It becomes annoying because it is like watching the old and young version of the same character at the same time, which may be the intent.
June 9, 2009
I'm surprised I even saw this because it's Woody Allen but it's got Christina Ricci in it and that's the only reason I did.
February 22, 2008
This marketing campaign is terrible. Look at that poster. Seriously, Flixster took the time to put it up so I want you to look at it. Jason Biggs is holding up a big heartshaped Christina Ricci. It looks like a romantic comedy that probably has a filthy moment that involves a byproduct of an animal. IT'S NOT THAT MOVIE...AT ALL!

This is really solid Woody Allen. This is the stuff Woody does best. Relationships between men and women without the sappy music and moments in the rain. Okay, there's a scene in the rain in this one, but the rain is much more realistic. Instead of making the couple more radiant, the couple gets pissed because they're getting rained on.

...like real life. That's pretty much why I like this movie so much. This is closer to real life (despite being somewhat of an absurd comedy) than most romantic comedies ever try to venture into. Christina Ricci plays her part as the selfish girlfriend perfectly. Yes, she's a little over the top, but not to the point of being unbelievable. She's just a selfish person. Her job, as an actress, was to convey that and she did a marvelous job. Now to Jason Biggs. I've never really been a fan. I've never gone so far as to despise him or regret seeing him in movies, but American Pie always left a bad taste in my mouth. (Luckily, I somewhat enjoyed Saving Silverman.) It's interesting to watch him in Anything Else because he's doing a Woody Allen impression the whole time. Some of it is intentional. Some of it is not. I'll say that much for him. I'll say this: While his performance isn't striking, it's never so off that I'm pulled out of the film. That will be my back-handed compliment for this review.

Now, to Woody Allen. This might be my last Woody for a while. This was the last in my Dreamworks collection and I can really hold off before I see Scoop. (Cassandra's Dream isn't playing anywhere around us.) It's interesting because I call this Woody Allen's Tuesdays With Morrie on a dark comedy twist. I love Woody as Goebel. To an extent, it's the character he's played in all of his movies, but the background to his character is very fun and very new for Allen. I'd love to see a movie just about Goebel, but I know that will never happen, despite the fact that Woody Allen makes a movie a year.

This movie is great, but wildly depressing. Don't be fooled by the marketing to this movie because you'll leave pissed...(or piss off your girlfriend.)
dooritor
September 2, 2006
perfect allen protege. biggs gots the mumble and twitchiness down perfectly. so much fun to watch. this is hilarious. but woody allen, so NO SHIT its funny.
July 5, 2007
Not annie hall, but very comedic at many parts.
Jason biggs seemed somewhat awkward addressing the camera,and they explained an unfolding plot in which the audience already understood what was going on.
June 20, 2007
Among Allen's worst, this film is nearly unwatchable despite a great scene in which Woody destroys a car.