91% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

Arbitrage Reviews

July 23, 2014
EXCELLENT ACTING, TAUT SCRIPT
July 16, 2014
A tense and entertaining financial thriller. Richard Gere is at his very best for the first time since "Chicago".
July 12, 2014
This has got to be the movie with one of the most abrupt endings ever. But, it's completely appropriate and makes an excellent point. Money doesn't buy everything, or does it? Good parts for Richard Gere and Susan Sarandon. Bottom line: Nicely paced thriller.
July 5, 2014
I don't know what Richard Gere does in the years he takes off between starring roles in feature films, but I wish he'd do it less. From Pretty Woman to Primal Fear (from what I've gathered) and now to Arbitrage, he is still one of few actors who can carry the weight of an entire film on his shoulders.

Now, that's not to take anything away from the film's supporting cast. Brit Marling and Tim Roth in particular stand out, showing some starpower can be found in a limited-release feature. I was also happy to see familiar faces from House of Cards - Reg E. Cathey and Larry Pine.

As for the story itself, I was glad to see a film related to Wall Street that 1) didn't pummel you with technical details; and 2) closely explored the people behind the shady dealmaking. While more drama than thriller, I still enjoyed the pace of the film, especially as Robert's personal life proceeds in parallel to his business. Towards the end, though, I felt that there could have been further exploration of the familial consequences of Robert's actions, as well as Jimmy's future. All in all a very good movie and a splendid debut by the director Jarecki.
June 30, 2014
good
sure I've seen the storey before though!
June 28, 2014
Arbitrage keeps you on your toes from beginning to end. I cannot remember the last time I rooted for a character so passionately who was also so obviously guilty. The ending asked the audience to make a prediction, which I am still debating. A great movie.
June 28, 2014
Watched on Mobile 2014
December 13, 2012
I found it slow and predictable. That said it is great to see Gere getting some well deserved accolades for a powerful performance.
May 26, 2014
Holes in the plot, as mentioned below. The conclusion is lame. The police would have done a much better job.
May 21, 2014
My Rating: 3/5 stars; Grade: B-; Gesture: Thumbs Sideways; Status: Passable (Fresh); Emoticon: :-I.
May 12, 2014
ayer la vi.....cuantos a de haber que viven asi....ta buena
December 5, 2013
gripping drama, with powerful performances by both gere (his best in years) and sarandon
April 15, 2014
interesting movie, the ending you have to guess the outcome, did he sign or didn't he
Matt H.
April 13, 2014
Arbitrage is a generic Richard Gere thriller that seems a bit unfocused and scattered, but somewhat comes together in the end. It's predictable, melodramatic, but the acting is pretty good, as many stars are in this one (Gere, Sarandon, Roth). The story veers off course in the middle parts and starts to get away from Gere's character, even though this was a path the movie shouldn't have taken. Overall, the film is average. Only watch it if you like Richard Gere enough.
March 11, 2014
Good if you like it when the bad guy wins with complete impunity.
March 3, 2014
Wall Street and morality do not usually go together. In fact, they are practically oxymorons! Anyway, this is a decent financial thriller that keeps you going throughout. Richard Gere's CEO career and personal life spiral out of control after the accidental death of his lover and he never recovers. The poor boy!
February 28, 2014
With a fascinating idea, an intriguing story, an incredible script full of powerful dialogue written and directed by Nicholas Jarecki, an amazing cast headed by Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, Tim Roth, Brit Marling and Nate Parker, interesting scenes and sequences and a fine pace and flow, Arbitrage is a film that shows the harsh side of what happens when you're behind a scam of a company you either build or work for.
February 24, 2014
A decent enough thriller with a good performance from Richard Gere, but it stutters in the final third and you feel with another pass at the script, it could've been something special.
February 16, 2014
Too many holes in the plot and the ending was a terse letdown.
February 16, 2014
A tense thriller with some familiar elements, but it has enough to keep u engaged. Un thriller con elementos familiar, pero tiene suficiente para no perder tu atencion.