Arbitrage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arbitrage Reviews

July 1, 2015
Richard Gere was very good in this thriller of a man's world colliding when he is about to be charged with fraud.
May 17, 2016
With a cast led by the charming Richard Gere, "Arbitrage" takes you on a roller coaster into one businessman's life as his world continues to collapse in on himself. With lie after lie being spun, Robert Miller watches as his life, his company and the futures of his family are put on the line as he tries to undo all the damage he has caused. Add a fatal car accident on top of it all and Robert Miller comes to realize he may not make it out unscathed.

Richard Gere is fantastic as he uses the acting abilities for which he is so famous for. Susan Sarandon is astounding as ever though I wish we could have seen more of her character. I felt she was very underutilized. The storyline isn't bad but I felt it dragged on a little bit longer than it should have as well as it had some weak spots. Some parts were a bit confusing but you nevertheless get the whole picture. The dialogue is crisp and never dull. All in all, not a bad film. Definitely one to watch, but not really to buy and own.
½ April 21, 2016
Deftly reminded me a movie of a similar theme 'The Player' which I enjoyed rather more. Features a generic but a very effective modern background score that is tense and runs as an undercurrent to an ocean of subplots (some more meaningless than the others) which underwhelms the atmosphere it tried to build. The performances were superb especially Gere in the lead role and an actress I have come to admire recently, Brit Marling.

A trading empire magnate Robert Miller (Richard Gere) is in the process to sell off his company in haste that is sitting on a huge pile of cooked accounts showing fraudulent numbers. With his business experience, contacts and shrewd mind, he thought he could get away without giving a whiff of the fraud to his nonchalant wife Ellen (Susan Sarandon) or his brilliant daughter Brooke (Brit Marling). When all things are falling into plan an accident kills Julie (Laetitia Casta) a woman with whom he has a clandestine affair. When Robert looks for an unlikely person for help, a detective Michael (Tim Roth) picks the scent of him and is coming close to rocking his boat.

What I first liked about his one is that it is not one a movie that shies away from worldly themes of good over evil or a climax with a moral epiphany. Next comes the frenetic screenplay that doesn't give you the breathing space to linger on the numerous flaws along the way. Performances and background score elevate the movie even more boosted by its slick editing.

Tense atmosphere with a frenetic screenplay leaves you with a gasp to catch your breath.
Hal
½ April 11, 2016
Outstanding acting across the board, taut direction by Nicholas Jarecki. Highly recommended.
April 10, 2016
Unimaginably disagreeable.
½ October 7, 2015
Slow paced and quite boring. A bit disappointing.
½ April 6, 2016
"INTENSE | MASTERPIECE | REALISTIC | SUSPENSEFUL | THRILLING" (94-out-of-100)
½ March 25, 2016
An absorbing drama that examines the dirty laundry behind the closed doors of a typical upper class American family and the man of the house tumbling down a rabbit hole of lies, infidelity and murder.
February 20, 2016
This subtle type of thriller can only be properly pulled off with the right cast of actors, and they knock it out of the park.
½ January 18, 2016
My thoughts:
A mistress should know her place. Period.
A bunch of coke heads.
½ December 29, 2012
It's complicated and sleazy, as is expected from the high and mighty of NYC. Lies, fraud, double crosses and in the end the bad guys still win.
May 2, 2014
Arbitrage is exciting, competently acted and well done, but the story is very cliche and predictable.
½ November 12, 2015
Richard Gere has never been held in particularly high regard as actor but here he is perfectly cast as ageing hedge fund magnate who's life quickly unravels. A well written script with plenty of drama but the climax is a little weak.
½ September 17, 2015
Intriguing, pulsating thriller but the lack of conclusion and enotional vacuum of the film limits it from greatness.
August 27, 2015
It's an engaging watch.
August 2, 2015
Predictable, dull with weak performances and plot holes galore.
½ July 7, 2015
was enjoying the film when it seemed to come to an abrupt end just when it was getting interesting......good film but such a disappointing ending
December 18, 2012
I Like Richard Gere.
May 31, 2015
A workmanlike glimpse into the parallel universe of the Wall Street wealthy. Richard Gere, Tim Roth and Susan Sarandon are exceptionally persuasive professional actors - surrounded here by a well directed and experienced supporting cast. Stuart Margolin, Reg E. Cathey and particularly Tibor Feldman are especially effective in small but important roles.