Argo

Argo

96%

Will the Golden Globes help its Oscar chances?

After Affleck was snubbed for Best Director at the Oscars, I thought that there was no way that Argo could win Best Picture anymore. But now that it did so well at the Golden Globes, do you think that maybe it has a chance? Or am I taking the Globes too seriously?
Bram S.
01-14-2013 12:18 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

Lincoln will take BP and Ang Lee the Director's.Argo team will be crying by morning,holding only film editing/screenplay awards.Are we done here?

Feb 22 - 03:19 AM

JJ ..

JJ .

Well, you were wrong, sir.

Apr 2 - 11:20 PM

Dylan  J.

Dylan Jones

Dumbass.

Apr 3 - 10:27 AM

Becky Parrish

Becky Parrish

I just don't get it???? Okay movie, how is it slated to win best picture?!!!!!!!!! I felt as though I was watching a made for television documentary.

Feb 17 - 12:11 PM

2000movies C.

2000movies Chinafan

yes I dont support it for Oscar....I didnt even think this movie would have nominated...ok...Im from overseas......but show us some high taste.....award giving authorities!

Feb 15 - 09:08 PM

Justin D.

Justin Downing

I think its got a chance and i'm rooting for it, but the Academy in the past has chosen to side with movies in the likes of Lincoln. (Also a fantastic movie)

Feb 15 - 04:11 PM

Bob Griesser

Bob Griesser

Please Please don't let this be movie of the year. I have been slowly losing faith with the academy and this would most likely be the final straw

Feb 12 - 05:07 PM

Matt S.

Matt Smith

I think the snub will help. Ever since, EVERYONE has been there to Affleck's back, talking about how ridiculous it was. He and/or the movie have won a ton of other awards.

I just saw the movie today and I can see why. I think it was fantastic. Some people complain in on this board it's pro-American. For the life of me- I don't see why that's such a problem. It's just like having a sports movie- the feature team isn't going to lose. I also very much appreciated the historical context.

Only weird part- at the very beginning, the the Embassy workers mention who the mob had grown in size over the past couple days. Next, they pull out bolt cutters and get inside. How could it possibly take them 2-3 days to find bolt cutters?

Feb 11 - 03:00 PM

Meero Himberger

Meero Himberger

well the academy wont pick lincoln because steven spielberg directed it, Zero dark thirty was to controversial, so it must come down to argo unless the acedemy like silver linings playbook better

Feb 11 - 08:10 AM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

I'm pretty sure it CAN pull of a 'Driving Miss Daisy',that is to say,win the BP without a directing nomination.Still,don't put nuthin' past the dickhe- er,Academy to hand it over to the Lincoln team.

Feb 1 - 05:18 AM

Jori Alkema

Jori Alkema

Hyped beyond recognition.
An average film at best. 3,5 out of 5. Best movie of the year? What the heck? I found the characters flat, especially the lead, the dialogue dull and event less. The whole suspense of the film was created my a suspenseful score, and lot of very serious and tense glances and angry people.

Jan 14 - 09:55 AM

Burning Refuse

Burning Refuse

"Best movie of the year" could be considered over-hyping. But "average film at best" I wouldn't call this particular film. There is generally too much consensus between both critics and users that this is above average. 8.4/10 critic and 4.3/5 user ratings indicate this. Even Metacritic gave Argo universal acclaim status. That many film buffs across North America and even parts of the globe can't be all wrong simultaneously.

Jan 15 - 01:12 AM

Jori Alkema

Jori Alkema

alright, a 4 out of 5, that given with it wasn't my kind of movie. I also felt it glorified America a whole lot, don't you think? and they made things seem way more important then they actually were. In any case, for each its own, right? But ''best movie of the year''? I have yet to see django, misearable, lincon and such, they just came out in the theater here, but i'm thinking my pick won't be argo ;P (I loved The Town and Gone Baby Gone btw)

Jan 15 - 03:28 AM

Justin D.

Justin Downing

Well i guess american lives aren't important anymore? And your credentials for objection in the oscars are invalid due to a lack of knowledge of any of the other nominees.

Feb 16 - 05:17 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile