Argo

Argo

96%

Total untrue.

Argo was so disappointing movie. As an Iranian, I have to say the general story is true. But the movie begin with lies about the Shah and ends with lie when airplane took off as it happened in the Banana Republic Ireland.
Korosh Koroshzadeh
02-17-2013 10:16 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

David Ohnona

David Ohnona

Flat and pedestrian. Period.

Jun 16 - 06:15 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

This was so disappointing thread. Me no get what writer trying say.

Apr 1 - 03:34 PM

Zane M.

Zane Morrow

This is all true and the best movie of the year.

Mar 31 - 10:35 AM

Javier Anselmo

Javier Anselmo

Very overrated this movie, not even reach the intensity of a thriller, completely flat. I prefer thousand times the cynicism of Kathryn Bigelow warmongering in Zero Dark Thirty

Mar 25 - 03:21 PM

Selby Parker Sr.

Selby Parker Sr.

I retired from State/Federal Civil Service after 45 years, I never heard the F....... language used by government officials that Hollywood credits. Why the need to be so profane, is beyond me.

Mar 23 - 06:06 AM

Chris Carleton

Chris Carleton

I enjoy historical fact based dramas, but Argo is Hollywood fabrication. It was a shoe in to win ?Best Picture? because Hollywood was able to pat itself on the back.

-Did the Iranians ever call the fake production company to check the story out: No
-Did the Iranians chase the Argo crew to the airport: No

One of the 6 U.S. hostages, Kathleen F. Stafford who was a Consular assistant said: "There were many heroes in this story, she says, especially the Canadians." Ken Taylor was subsequently awarded the Congressional Gold Medal by the U.S. Congress for his assistance to the United States of America.

The most disputed aspect of the movie?s version of events has to do with Canada?s role in the escape 30 years ago. Canada received complete credit for the rescue, because the U.S. was worried about possible repercussions if CIA involvement was publicized. The Americans were housed by two Canadians: the Ambassador Taylor, and a Canadian embassy employee, John Sheardown. (In the film, all of them stay with Taylor). It was Taylor who cabled Washington to begin the escape plan in earnest, and once the plan was decided on, Canadians ?scouted the airport, sent people in and out of Iran to establish random patterns and get copies of entry and exit visas, bought three sets of airline tickets,? and ?even coached the six in sounding Canadian.?

Almost none of that appears in Argo. Taylor himself has a major part, and is presented as a sympathetic and brave man who took great personal risks to save the Americans. But his actual role was even larger. He was ?spying for the U.S. throughout the hostage crisis, at the request of Jimmy Carter.? After some friends who attended the Argo premiere in Toronto described it to Taylor, he expressed concern ?that we?re portrayed as innkeepers who are waiting to be saved by the CIA?.

The lack of the portrayal of Canada?s involvement isn?t the only thing that has gotten the goat of some, though?it?s the trip to the airport that serves as the movie?s climax. Affleck?s version involves every conceivable complication?each one of them invented purely to create tension. In the movie, the U.S. government reverses approval of the plan at the last minute, there may be no plane tickets waiting for the Americans. In fact, the plane tickets were purchased ahead of time by the Canadians. Airport security guards stop the Americans in the film, leading to a tense scene in which one of the Americans makes the risky decision to speak Farsi with the guards. Actually the trip through the airport was ?smooth as silk,? as Mendez wrote. Improbably, the teams of carpet weavers that the Iranian government put to work repairing shredded documents piece together the face of one of the six Americans right as the group reaches the airport, those carpet weavers relay the image to their higher-ups in time for armed men to chase down the departing airplane. None of that happened.

Feb 25 - 06:01 AM

Andrew Moore

Andrew Moore

This is exactly what I am boycotting this film, and will never watch it. Many Canadians grew up watching documentaries about this event, because it was an important event in Canadian history..

Yet this film turns the truth completely upside down to make the Americans look like hero's and the Iranians as villains, and the Canadians as sheepish innkeepers!

Feb 25 - 07:11 AM

pat

Pat S.

The Iranians *were* the villains.

The embassy was US territory and the embassy personnel had diplomatic immunity. Attacking the embassy and taking the personnel hostage was a severe breach of international law, there is no excuse for that.

The film is actually much more understanding and apologetic of the Iranian's actions than it would need to be.

Feb 25 - 07:43 AM

Tom Sillers

Tom Sillers

An informed post! Whenever I come across one, I feel like I've been crawling in the desert (read: blogosphere) for days and have finally found an oasis. Thank you.

Mar 3 - 05:42 AM

pat

Pat S.

Meh, yet another nationalist who's butt-hurt that a Hollywood movie dares to shed light on some dark aspects of his country's past (and present), rather than sticking to that country's government-approved propaganda narrative.

It was the same way with Indian nationalists when Slumdog Millionaire was released.

Feb 24 - 03:07 PM

Brandon Carbaugh

Brandon Carbaugh

You know what they say: don't let the truth ruin a good story.

Feb 24 - 01:01 PM

Jordan Robertson

Jordan Robertson

96% bullcrap

Feb 23 - 11:31 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Dumbfuck

Feb 24 - 03:05 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

terrorist !! hahaha

Feb 23 - 10:33 PM

Magic Mike

Mulholland Driver

For me it was disappointing as an entertaining film.
I was not surprised by the revision of fact versus fiction.

Feb 23 - 01:58 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

When write no good sentence people no get what try to say.

Feb 21 - 08:33 PM

Lewis Bartholomew

Lewis Bartholomew

It also lies about the roll of the Canadians as well as if we didn't have much of a part in the rescue. But this is an American making a feel good American film that twists the facts to make money in the USA during a time when 9/11 is still fresh in everyone's minds (remember what Canada did back then? Naw, I didn't think you did).

Feb 20 - 06:58 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Argo didn't make Iranians look bad. In fact, Argo was an intelligent enough film that there weren't even any villains in it. Everyone was tyring to do their best, as they understood it. Argo even shows that the hostage crisis arose from a populace with legitimate grievance. It even gave some good, albeit breif, insight into Iran's history.

Feb 20 - 05:45 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Argo didn't make Iranians look bad. In fact, Argo was an intelligent enough film that there were any villains in it. It showed that the hostage crisis arose from a populace that was legitimately upset. It gave some good brief insight into Iran's history.

Feb 20 - 05:43 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

I had no idea what you just said

Feb 19 - 12:44 PM

Kirk Gordon

Kirk Gordon

No doubt you were offended as it portrays Iran exactly as much of the world sees it, which is too bad as I have met some very nice people from your country. Public executions, gun toting fundamentalists, what do you expect? It was a great movie, scripted from declassified files. By the way, no one in Canada was a fan of the Shah, then or now.

Feb 19 - 06:24 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile