Total Recall: 2013 Best Picture Nominees

Summary

Awards season is in full swing, and film fans everywhere are either debating their picks for who's about to win or arguing over those who've already won. That goes double for us at RT, and to celebrate our annual embrace of Oscar fever, we've decided to dedicate this week's list to the films getting ready to duke it out for this year's Best Picture Academy Award. With room for real-life stories, a little romance, a few songs, some hard-hitting drama, and even some action and/or comedy, this year's batch of nominees is certainly an eclectic bunch -- so let's take a look at them all, reminisce about how many we've seen, and then hit the comments section to weigh in on their odds of winning come February 24. It's time for Total Recall! Back to Article

Comments

This comment has been removed.

Giovanni Rodriguez

Giovanni Rodriguez

I agree with this guy :(

Jan 16 - 04:59 PM

This comment has been removed.

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

First of all: show me two movies in the past year that had as good a cast, as good a script or as good an action sequence. You can't? Didn't think so.

Secondly: There is no 1966 version. There was a film that was called Django that came out in 1966, but they have nothing to do with each other, except the genre. And you would have known that if you had seen both of them, which means that either you were lying before and just hate Tarantino so you pretended that Django Unchained sucked, or you actually didn't even watch the 1966 version and you were just trying to impress people you don't even know on this forum by saying that there WAS a 1966 version and you've seen it. Either way, you cone out as the bad guy, Dean Morris.

Jan 17 - 05:44 AM

Gage Kent

Your opinion is terrible.

Jan 17 - 10:13 AM

Vinícius Gandolphi

Vinícius Gandolphi

Sebastian Ochoa for President.

Jan 17 - 11:13 AM

John Serrano

John Serrano

Sebastian, you're right, but The Dark Knight Rises had a cast that good or better (why Michael Caine hasn't win an oscar yet??)

Jan 17 - 11:27 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

hipster

Jan 17 - 02:23 PM

Matthew Robbins

Matthew Robbins

The Django from the 1966 movie is in Django Unchained.

Jan 17 - 02:55 PM

Armond White Sucks

Michael Baldelli

Jan 17 - 04:36 PM

Keith Allison

Keith Allison

Probably. Though there is a chance it could go to Argo.

Jan 16 - 05:09 PM

Joe Renzo

Joe Renzo

I doubt it will go to Argo as the director was not even nominated.

Jan 16 - 06:39 PM

Perry Ah

Perry Ah

a shame Affleck was snubbed.

Jan 16 - 09:07 PM

Eduardo Díaz

Eduardo Díaz

True but not impossible. In 1990 Driving Miss Daisy won Best Picture and its director was not nominated. We'll see...

Jan 17 - 10:27 AM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Yeah, but that film was not so great...

Jan 26 - 09:39 PM

Don Ammar

Don Ammar

I hope it does go to Argo or Zero Dark Thirty. They are both incredible pieces of movie magic which inspire incredible amounts of emotion.

Jan 17 - 01:17 PM

Ric Almazar

Ric Almazar

I totally agree. I'll give my vote to either of the two.

Jan 18 - 03:55 PM

This comment has been removed.

Aaron G.

Aaron Grossman

your opinions are the worst opinions

Jan 16 - 06:49 PM

Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

Oh man. Totally.

Jan 17 - 01:41 PM

Gage Kent

Your opinions are terrible.

Jan 16 - 07:57 PM

Jansen Gefert

Jansen Gefert

agreed

Jan 16 - 08:32 PM

Grant Avritt

Grant Avritt

I hope you're trolling. 2/10 made me respond.

Jan 16 - 09:02 PM

Brian Patterson

Brian Patterson

Moron

Jan 17 - 02:31 AM

Claudia Romani Zanelato

Claudia Romani Zanelato

Maybe I'm the only that agrees with you.

Jan 17 - 05:38 AM

Max Power

Max Power

no wonder you posted as alan smithee, terrible post absolutely terrible

Jan 17 - 09:36 AM

Don Ammar

Don Ammar

If you consider Zero Dark Thirty "Hackneyed" in any shape or form you don't understand film, you don't understand conceptualizing real drama and you've never experienced movie magic. You're not just an idiot. You're an idiot who is fooling himself into believing that you're not. I respect opinions but I don't respect those that bash without any sort of corroboration. You're a fool. Good day tool bag.

Jan 17 - 01:11 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

Either you've never seen the multitude of modern military programs on TV or you don't understand the term hackneyed in any shape or form. Go watch Generation Kill, Strike Back, The Unit, Homeland, Code Name: Geronimo, etc. Although something tells me you already waste your time watching all that junk... It's you, the jarhead Call of Duty generation that truly do not understand "drama", as you think standing around spouting a bunch of jargon while looking angry is what film is all about. You think waving the camera around like the cameraman is having a seizure in conjunction with a fast cut every millisecond is somehow a technical marvel. You don't have any clue about solid character development or creativity and instead fixate on whatever the next hot current event that can be unnecessarily exploited is. All you do is flock to whatever the critics and payed for by Weinstein Oscars claim is sophisticated despite the obvious truth of the matter.

Say baa, bro!

Jan 17 - 04:35 PM

Jackson Eckert

Jackson Eckert

Alan Smithee, you deserve an award for this level of trolling. You can't be an idiot, because you know what "hackneyed" and "pubescent" mean. I applaud you and your art, sir.

Jan 17 - 05:34 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Screw you.

Jan 17 - 02:33 PM

Gage Kent

Agree with the first part of your statement, but disagree with the second part of your statement. Lincoln has some tough competition.

Jan 16 - 05:51 PM

Dylan Soller

Dylan Soller

It was not a better film than Lincoln. Good, but not better.

Jan 16 - 06:42 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Lincoln was a dull, cheesy movie that brings nothing new to the table. While I agree it'll win, I believe the most enjoyable films were Django and SLP. The former is a truly fantastic film that is impressive in it's acting, cinematography, and overall screenplay, which I believe in itself makes it a winner. And not only that, but it's certainly the most entertaining film of all the nominees. People think that to be a good film, it needs to be sophisticated (which is kind of true), but people also think that sophisticated films need to be dull! If you look at the individual components of Django, you will realise that it may seem silly, but is actually a very good film.

Now, I believe BotSW was a fantastic effort, and much different to the same old Hollywood film story that Lincoln and Argo delivers. It was a beautiful film, and it deserves more recognition. Amour was a nice story, but films were made to entertain. That is the purpose of the entire film industry. There is a great emotional impact, which will make it win the Foreign Language category, but it deserves nothing else (maybe the actress, though). Life of Pi was entertaining, beautiful and emotional, which is a mixture of the previous films I mentioned, which is why Lee DEFINITELY deserves the Best Director, and maybe Best Picture.

But all in all, this year was much better than the last.

Jan 16 - 07:43 PM

Gage Kent

I didn't think Lincoln was dull. A few moments were cheesy, but Daniel Day Lewis did a great job carrying the film. I LOVED Django, didn't get around to seeing SLP yet. You say "Amour was a nice story, but films were made to entertain." This isn't always true. Some films aim only to entertain, some films aim to be artistic, and some films do both (like Django). I do hate it how people think something can't be art and entertainment at the same time, so I still see where you are coming from. Look at Pulp Fiction. It is definitely a work of art, but beside that it is so entertaining! Django I think was QT's best film since Pulp Fiction (though Basterds comes close). I think Django might be the most re-watchable out of all the movies that came out this year. The second time I saw it in theaters, there were scenes I could not WAIT to see again. Overall, this year kicked last year's ass with respect to having better movies. The only movies I really enjoyed last year were Drive and The Descendants.

Jan 16 - 10:35 PM

Kaiya Ando

Kaiya Ando

2012 was definitely better than 2011 in my point of view. But 2011 movies such as The help, money ball, the descendants and so on, were definitely entertaining. I'm waiting to buy Lincoln, and Amour on Cd because it unfortunately didn't come out at where I am currently living.

Jan 17 - 01:36 AM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Thanks, Gage, for correcting me. And you are absolutely right, some films aim to be artistic, but there needs to be some sort of entertainment. Amour's emotional impact may engage audiences, but at the end of the day, the better movies go to the ones that do that, as well as make the audience leave the theatre having liked the film. Personally, that wasn't my complete reaction to Amour. It was a good film, in which case you are right. But no one wants to go watch a movie if they are not going to be either entertained, emotionally affected, etc. A movie is as good as how it makes the audience feel. Amour had great cinematography, screenplay, the works, but if they don't make the audience feel, then I guess the screenplay wasn't as good as one originally thought.

I know I'm constantly contradicting myself, but it's only because it's a debatable issue.

Jan 17 - 05:53 AM

Timothy Kerridge

Timothy Kerridge

yes probably better nominees than last year but nowhere near as good as 2010 where any of the ten could have won and I'd have been happy

Jan 17 - 10:29 AM

Dane Mychal

Dane Mychal

SLP is a fantasy rom-com that makes a storybook ending out of a severe bipolar case. This never happens in real life, people. SLP is harmless but the least important film in the pack. Lincoln was dull if you are a mindless sod who thinks SLP and films of its ilk are the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's only in the conversation because it has the power of Harvey Weinstein behind it, and he's looking to deliver his third straight Best Picture win.

Django was good; I've seen it twice -- but hardly the best film of the year. Way too long, QT's first film without the late Sally Menke suffers from a lack of editing. It's simply not as good as Inglourious Basterds (the best film of 2009 for my money).

Lincoln, Argo and ZDT would make great BP winners.

Jan 20 - 03:41 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

I never said SLP was the best this year (or the best thing since sliced bread), I simply said that it was one of the most enjoyable. It made me laugh, while Lincoln made me sleep. However most of what you said was true. Inglorious Basterds certainly was a FANTASTIC film, and much better than Django.

However, Lincoln, Argo and ZDT are certainly not the best films of the year. In fact, the two latter films weren't even nominated for Best Director! While they might win, the only other film to win without Best Director was Driving Miss Daisy, and that certainly was not an amazing film.

But we've all seen Argo and Lincoln before, it is just another Hollywood film. Argo may have been a bit more unique that Lincoln, you have to understand that Lincoln may have been a beautiful piece of filmmaking, but it's something we've all seen before. That's why I like Django and Beasts.

A lot of the best films in history were European (or from European directors), while Lincoln, ZDT and Argo are the farthest from being European. Tarantino always has a European style, which is why I like his work.

I'm not saying Lincoln wasn't a good film, quite the opposite, it's just not unique. Everything was good about Lincoln, which is why it very well could win the Oscar, it just wasn't that interesting, nor entertaining.

This doesn't show my favourite films, just what I believes deserves to win:

Lincoln - too familiar, but great acting, directing, everything, just not something I would want to watch for a good time.

Argo - may also be familiar, but much more exciting than Lincoln, BUT not as good

Amour - Sad, well directed and acted, but more boring than Lincoln

Zero Dark Thirty - Exciting, interesting, but too repetitive. The last half an hour was really one of the only good parts.

Life of Pi - best film of the year. Emotionally enchanting, visually astounding, not dull [cough].

Django Unchained - If Basterds couldn't win, this one can't.

Silver Linings Playbook - Moving, funny, well acted, MUCH different to The Fighter, but not the best film of the year

Les Miserables - Haven't seen it

Beasts of the Southern Wild - Most unique, but too indie to win

Jan 26 - 08:09 AM

Blake Lovullo

Blake Lovullo

Yeah.

Jan 16 - 07:47 PM

David Gaillardetz

David Gaillardetz

I liked Django, but Lincoln was great too. Anyone that says otherwise is fooling themselves. It may not be for everyone, but then neither is Django. Both were superbly acted with a great script and production design. Quit complaining and just enjoy the fact that for once we have decent contenders in the running.

Jan 17 - 12:50 PM

^ this

Jan 17 - 06:27 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I will actually go out on a limb and say that QT will get the best screenplay.
As for best pic, I could see the rare instance that Argo gets best pic and Lincoln gets best director. It happened with Driving Miss Daisy/Born on the Fourth of July. If it happens again, this could very well be the year.

Jan 17 - 08:21 PM

Giovanni Rodriguez

Giovanni Rodriguez

I agree with this guy :(

Jan 16 - 04:59 PM

This comment has been removed.

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Jan 17 - 05:44 AM

Gage Kent

Your opinion is terrible.

Jan 17 - 10:13 AM

Vinícius Gandolphi

Vinícius Gandolphi

Sebastian Ochoa for President.

Jan 17 - 11:13 AM

John Serrano

John Serrano

Jan 17 - 11:27 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

hipster

Jan 17 - 02:23 PM

Matthew Robbins

Matthew Robbins

The Django from the 1966 movie is in Django Unchained.

Jan 17 - 02:55 PM

Ahmed Reloaded

Ahmed Reloaded

Agree !

Jan 16 - 05:45 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Was Lincoln really that good?

Jan 16 - 06:31 PM

Chung Lee

Chung Lee

not really, but it is after all a "masterpiece" from one of the Hollywood's great which is not going to be in this world for a long time.

Jan 16 - 06:43 PM

Hunter Ewing

Hunter Ewing

Lincoln was quite amazing. Especially if you are read up on Abraham Lincoln. Its the most vunerable film Steven Spielberg has made, besides Schindler's List, but that had an 'epic' feel to it while Licoln is more like a play.

Jan 17 - 11:19 AM

David Gaillardetz

David Gaillardetz

I entirely agree with you. I can see why some think it is boring, but I think if you are looking for an action-packed civil war drama you are in the wrong movie. The political intrigue and tension did not only feel authentic but it also was palpable. Day-Lewis' performance was also unmatched. Really well-done film.

Jan 18 - 10:01 AM

Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith

no man it was boring as hell, be better to wait for it on dvd

Jan 17 - 05:46 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Yeah Lincoln, Argo, and Zero Dark Thirty are the only ones that have a shot. The latter two would have to pull off a Driving Miss Daisy and do it without a director nod, but if either builds enough momentum through the guild awards it may be possible or even likely by the time the Oscars come.

Jan 16 - 09:52 PM

Nael Nabil

Nael Nabil

although i am a big fan of Afleck i still Don't see why people, are overrating Argo, in my opinion, it wasn't a big deal story,and afleck succeeded in making it one and nearly most of the good scenes in the movie wasn't in the real story like, the bazaar scene , and the final Airport scene, where they had to discusses the story of the movie "Argo" to the Iranian police. it was all faked by afleck

Jan 19 - 05:14 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

my pick is definitely zero dark thirty or argo. however, it's really a shame that the dark knight rises was not nominated.

Jan 16 - 05:08 PM

Gary Devenport

Gary Devenport

Ditto. Real shame.

Jan 16 - 05:27 PM

...or Moonrise Kingdom :(

Jan 16 - 05:52 PM

Pedro Valença

Pedro Valença

I totally hear you

Jan 16 - 11:03 PM

Sam F.

Sam Francis

I know how you feel... I was hoping for Moonrise Kingdom to get at least a nomination

Jan 17 - 04:47 AM

Timothy Kerridge

Timothy Kerridge

I was so sure it was going to WIN a few weeks ago...

Jan 17 - 10:35 AM

Vinh Do

Vinh Do

kinda weird saying this but... i like all Mr. Anderson's work, and they are all great. Except they are never exceptional, or rather exceptionally better than the rest. pitch it against Argo or Django and it's always somewhere a few levels down the podium =/

Jan 17 - 04:25 PM

Tom Q.

Tom Qin

It is only a shame if The Dark Knight Rises had the potential to be nominated but was not. Nobody considered this film because its execution did not match its potential.

Jan 17 - 10:57 AM

John Serrano

John Serrano

it is the best film of 2012 (though I haven't seen Django yet), but some guy shooted people in a theater, and it will never win ANYTHING in America.

Jan 17 - 11:31 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Dark Knight Rises was garbage.

Jan 17 - 12:46 PM

Gage Kent

best film of 2012 only if you are a batman fanboy.

Jan 17 - 01:49 PM

Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith

Django is the best film ive ever seen

Jan 17 - 05:47 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

By saying the phrase "shooted", your comment has already lost it's credibility.

Jan 26 - 09:41 PM

Jacob H.

Jacob Holmes

The reason Dark Knight Rises isn't nominated is because a)it's a comic book movie and I guess those are forbidden to be nominated, and b)it was nowhere near Best Picture material. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie but Nolan definitely dropped the ball on a few occasions with this one.

Jan 17 - 11:33 AM

Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

TDK should have received a nomination, and I'd be for Pfister getting a Cinematography nod for TDKR, but yes - the best of the trilogy is past the point of Academy recognition.

Jan 17 - 01:45 PM

Keith Allison

Keith Allison

Probably. Though there is a chance it could go to Argo.

Jan 16 - 05:09 PM

Joe Renzo

Joe Renzo

I doubt it will go to Argo as the director was not even nominated.

Jan 16 - 06:39 PM

Perry Ah

Perry Ah

a shame Affleck was snubbed.

Jan 16 - 09:07 PM

Eduardo Díaz

Eduardo Díaz

Jan 17 - 10:27 AM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Yeah, but that film was not so great...

Jan 26 - 09:39 PM

Don Ammar

Don Ammar

Jan 17 - 01:17 PM

Ric Almazar

Ric Almazar

I totally agree. I'll give my vote to either of the two.

Jan 18 - 03:55 PM

Jacob McLaughlin

Jacob McLaughlin

My ideal film to win would be Django Unchained and I hope Argo can pull off a best picture win without a director nod. I liked Lincoln, but not as much as the latter two films I mentioned.

Jan 16 - 05:15 PM

Mark Conroy

Mark Conroy

You sir, are the only person this thread or any other who can comment with an unnecessary tone of angry and harsh cynicism. Thank you

Jan 16 - 05:38 PM

Joshua

Joshua "LF" Mitchell

I agree with what Mark said. Props, dude. :D

Jan 16 - 09:38 PM

Alex Murphy

Alex Murphy

Even though QT got subbed for director, im hoping Django wins. That maybe biased though because most of the other contenders are not out over here in the UK.

Jan 19 - 11:58 AM

Andre Berry

Andre Berry

I would love for Django to get Best Pic as well, but I think they will give it Best Screenplay only. I do hope that Cristoph Waltz gets best supporting actor, and I cannot say enough how much I want Denzel Washington to get best actor, though that will probably go to Daniel Day-Lewis.

Jan 19 - 12:44 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Les Miserables...go away

Jan 16 - 05:17 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Dream a dream, my friend...

Jan 16 - 05:25 PM

Yes... please.

Jan 16 - 05:46 PM

William J.

William Johnsten

It won't, it's nominated for more awards than Django Unchained and Argo :)

Jan 17 - 12:02 AM

Gage Kent

And Argo and Django are better films. Your point?

Jan 17 - 10:15 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

ok..

Jan 17 - 05:25 PM

Tom Q.

Tom Qin

Totally agree. Les Miserables was never beyond just good. Over-directed and over-produced.

Jan 17 - 10:57 AM

Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

Beautifully shot, remarkably acted, ace period-production-design, and made Hooper finally happen for me as a brave and brilliant director. Wowed in every technical fashion.

All that said - one of the stupidest stories ever told. A 20-years-served bread-thief on the run from the most bored inspector in the history of law enforcement. 50 proud rebellious idiots vs. all of France.

Right... I absolutely buy that.

Jan 17 - 01:52 PM

Jacob H.

Jacob Holmes

The rebellion actually happened in real life

Jan 17 - 03:47 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

The rebellious part actually happened. I think the fact that the story has been told every night for the 28 years and still draws crowds tells me there's something to it. I think it's all a matter of perspective. If you wanted to break Batman down to it's core story you could say it's ridiculous too. A rich guy with a revenge complex who dresses up as a bat to go out and fight clowns, burn victims and fat guys in tux's...or you could look at it as a young child overcoming the tragedy of his parents violent deaths to forge a dark avenger and redeem an entire city.

Jan 17 - 03:50 PM

Gage Kent

And who is supposed to actually buy the fact that two people who HAVE NEVER MET IN THEIR LIVES take one glance at each other and fall so deeply in love that they are willing to die for each other and just can't live with anybody else?!?! BULLSHIT! We have a name for love at first sight: infatuation.

Jan 17 - 06:29 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

We also have a name for people who do that regularly, they're called teenagers :). Nothing about the story says in 5 years they didn't get tired of each other and trade up for younger models. :)

Jan 17 - 06:55 PM

Sam F.

Sam Francis

Please, it was based on the novel. Romeo and Juliet was the same thing.

Jan 17 - 07:21 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"50 proud rebellious idiots vs. all of France"

Yeah, a Revolution in France? Please. I'll buy that as soon as I believe that a Schicklgruber could ever lead Germany!

Jan 18 - 11:13 AM

Nancy Digirolamo

Nancy Digirolamo

Les Miserables was amazing. It was powerful and moving, and there is a reason why it won Best Picture at the Golden Globes (not to mention it led with the most wins).

You don't like it, I get it. But...70% of critics disagree with you :P

Jan 17 - 08:11 PM

Gage Kent

70% is really not that much acclaim when you think about it.

Jan 17 - 10:51 PM

Nancy Digirolamo

Nancy Digirolamo

Well, its more than a lot of other films get.
You are entitled to your opinion, though. Musicals aren't for everyone, just like how slashing, killer movies (such as Django) aren't or me.

But please don't go around bashing a film you don't like every time you see it mentioned somewhere. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that others don't.

Jan 18 - 07:57 AM

Ryan Cassidy

Ryan Cassidy

Les Miserable didnt win best picture at the Globes, Argo did. Affleck also won best director.

Jan 18 - 03:29 PM

Nancy Digirolamo

Nancy Digirolamo

Argo won Best Dramatic Picture, Les Miserables won Best Comedy or Musical. Those were the only two awards for Best Picture.

Jan 18 - 05:42 PM

Simon Rock

Simon Rock

Your '70% of critics' argument makes no sense. 70% of critics liked it, but not many people here are saying they didn't like it. Django, Argo, Lincoln, and practically every other nomination were just better movies.

Jan 19 - 06:45 PM

Nancy Digirolamo

Nancy Digirolamo

...in your opinion, of course.
And the 70% of critics thing does make sense. They were saying they didn't like it and were making it seem like no one likes it. That's not true, there is a reason why the book is a classic and the musical has been seen by 60 million people, and that 70% of critics like it.

Just my 2 cents...

Jan 19 - 07:53 PM

Gage Kent

Yep. Pretty much Simon. 70% is not acclaim, the film is generally favorable on metacritic, Roger Ebert didn't like it, and France hates it. But no... totally "acclaimed"...yeah... sure...

Jan 22 - 02:50 PM

This comment has been removed.

Aaron G.

Aaron Grossman

your opinions are the worst opinions

Jan 16 - 06:49 PM

Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

Oh man. Totally.

Jan 17 - 01:41 PM

Gage Kent

Your opinions are terrible.

Jan 16 - 07:57 PM

Jansen Gefert

Jansen Gefert

agreed

Jan 16 - 08:32 PM

Grant Avritt

Grant Avritt

I hope you're trolling. 2/10 made me respond.

Jan 16 - 09:02 PM

Brian Patterson

Brian Patterson

Moron

Jan 17 - 02:31 AM

Claudia Romani Zanelato

Claudia Romani Zanelato

Maybe I'm the only that agrees with you.

Jan 17 - 05:38 AM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Screw you.

Jan 17 - 02:33 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Dream a dream, my friend...

Jan 16 - 05:25 PM

Konrad Lewszyk

Konrad Lewszyk

Where is The Dark Knight Rises -.-.....that's extremely painful

Jan 16 - 05:39 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

There's always the Razzies ;)

Jan 16 - 05:44 PM

Loren Schrock

Loren Schrock

not as painful as a missing nomination for Nolan

Jan 16 - 05:45 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Nolan should have been nominated for both Memento and Inception. His work on the Dark Knight Rises was excellent, but was a step down from his previous effort.

Jan 16 - 07:06 PM

Saetre

Saetre Saetre

FOR YOU

Jan 18 - 04:27 AM

Daniel Atkinson

Daniel Atkinson

I just laughed out loud.

Jan 19 - 04:26 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Argo would win for statistical reasons:
1. It's the most critically acclaimed.
2. They owe Affleck for the two previous films.
3. Most of the other nominees already won in terms of directors (Ang Lee, Katheryn Bigelow, Steven Spielberg)
But hey, if the Academy gave Crash the Accolade, the can give Lay Miz it too.

Jan 16 - 05:43 PM

Dave Traverso

Dave Traverso

If they felt like they "owed" Affleck something, they would have nominated him for Best Director

Jan 16 - 06:22 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Nah, otherwise they'd also nominate whatshisname from Django Unchained...you know, the Titanic guy? Lol poor d cap.

Jan 16 - 06:26 PM

Chung Lee

Chung Lee

Argo should NOT win. it might be a nice film but not really innovating. As a war film, zero dark thirty triumphed it in every single way

Jan 16 - 06:44 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Agreed, Zero Dark Thirty was really well made, and I haven't seen Jessica Chastain give a performance this good since Coriolanus. Plus, I love the little irony they put when Obama speaks about torture and the fact this might be the nicest character, if not best, Mark Strong has played.

But is Argo really that overrated? I haven't seen it but trust the accolades it's nabbed from ZD30 thus far.

Jan 16 - 06:51 PM

Sam F.

Sam Francis

Most critically acclaimed doesn't mean Oscar win. Remember 'Crash'?

Jan 17 - 04:49 AM

I wish I didn't...

Jan 17 - 10:15 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Did you even read the rest of my comment Sammy boy?

Jan 17 - 10:50 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

There's always the Razzies ;)

Jan 16 - 05:44 PM

King Crunk

Jan 16 - 07:06 PM

Yes... please.

Jan 16 - 05:46 PM

William J.

William Johnsten

It won't, it's nominated for more awards than Django Unchained and Argo :)

Jan 17 - 12:02 AM

Gage Kent

And Argo and Django are better films. Your point?

Jan 17 - 10:15 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

ok..

Jan 17 - 05:25 PM

Gage Kent

Django Unchained: awesome, but not the Academy's type of film.
Lincoln: good chance of winning.
Argo: good chance of winning, maybe even more so than Lincoln.
Zero Dark Thirty: has a shot, but not as good as Lincoln or Argo I believe.
Life of Pi: nobody cares.
Amour: will already win best foreign film (duh), so it unlikely to win best picture I would think.
Beasts of the Southern Wild: too small to win.
Les Miserables: god I hope it doesn't win.
Silver Linings Playbook: too small to win.

Jan 16 - 05:50 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

I liked this analysis. Perhaps underplaying the chances of SLP given all the nominations it got, but otherwise agreed.

Jan 16 - 06:32 PM

Zane M.

Zane Morrow

Thank you!!

Jan 16 - 07:30 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Nice assessment! Still, just out of curiosity, what is it about LIFE OF PI that doesn't generate any kind of interest?

Jan 16 - 07:51 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Life of Pi was really amazing. I believe that and Django Unchained were truly the best films of the year, but neither are going to win. Although LoP might win for the Director category. It's hard to have half your main cast be CGI, but Ang Lee pulled it off.

Jan 16 - 11:17 PM

WS S.

WS Shannon

Life of Pi was great, Gage is being a fanboy for Argo and Django Unchained is all.

Jan 17 - 12:01 AM

Gage Kent

I am a fanboy for Django. That I can't deny. But I am not a fanboy of Argo. I just thought Argo was good.

Jan 17 - 10:16 AM

Lucas Thornton

Lucas Thornton

The Artist, The King's Speech, the Hurt Locker, and Slumdog Millionaire were pretty small. I don't the size of the film has anything to do with it anymore.
Another thing the first two had in common with Silver Linings Playbook: All three were produced by the Weinstein Company. They know how to win Oscars.

Jan 16 - 08:03 PM

Gage Kent

I am not saying small films can't win, but the majority of the time I would at least expect the "bigger" film to win best picture. Only reason why I think Beasts and Playbook don't have that great odds.

Jan 16 - 10:37 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Even if "The Artist" and "The King's Speech" are small in production, they were among the toughest contenders by the time they were released. Problem this year is that studios released big-budget films with a high standard of quality that have all as many chances of winning.

Jan 17 - 10:03 AM

Sam F.

Sam Francis

I love Les Miserables, but I doubt it will win. It's up against other bigger films...

Jan 17 - 04:51 AM

Kate Avery

Kate Avery

excellent assessment. And I agree, in the shadow of the big draws like Lincoln and Argo, SLP and BoSW don't have much of a chance of winning, which is a shame because while I really loved many of those big draws, those two small films, along with Moonrise Kingdom, are probably my favorite of the year.

Jan 17 - 06:28 PM

Sam F.

Sam Francis

I agree!

Jan 17 - 07:45 PM

Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Kind of agree. But, I actually adored Les Mis. I think all the nominations are brilliant films, but really hope Argo or Life of Pi win as they have been under-nominated compared to Lincoln which everyone seems to expect will win. Would be happy with Django or Les Mis too. Too hard to pick properly this year - but then again, it'll probably just go to Lincoln.

Jan 17 - 07:05 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

"Amour" is very overrated.

Jan 18 - 12:41 PM

Jan 16 - 05:51 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel