RT's Oscar Picks 2013 - Results

Summary

We at Rotten Tomatoes freely admit we're not the world's greatest Oscar prognosticators. Still, we did a bit better than usual this year; while there were some surprises (Sound Editing was a tie?!) and a few winners that aren't all that surprising in retrospect, most of our predictions came true at the 85th Annual Academy Awards. Read on to see how our forecast squared with the final results! Back to Article

Comments

Alex Sharrard

Alex Sharrard

Argo was good but....not that good..

Feb 21 - 08:45 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Are you referring about it's accuarcies or by the movie experience overall?

Feb 22 - 02:39 PM

Wade Tubbs

Wade Tubbs

Pshh. "Argo" was the Best Picture of the year. I really hope it wins, but come on, how can the Academy resist Lincoln?

Feb 23 - 08:48 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

I kind of agree with Alex, I didn't think Argo was anything too special. I enjoy the films directed by Affleck, but I always find them lacking a distinct style. He reminds me of Eastwood's style in a way. Simple visuals with a good story and characters. This isn't bad but, IMO, the impact is limited. I also thought Argo had some bad edits and scenes that were too short. Kudos for the period look though.

Feb 25 - 03:05 PM

Berny Grim

Berny Grim

I really like Brave and Wreck it Ralph but is obvious that Frankenweenie is goona win Animated Feature.

Feb 21 - 09:14 PM

Jon West

Jon West

wat

Feb 22 - 11:25 AM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

True. Though I still liked Frankenweenie, and I'm sure was better made than the others (and less childish), I still enjoyed WiR more.

Feb 23 - 08:42 PM

Yonatan Gottlieb

Yonatan Gottlieb

Christoph Waltz will win and i hope Wreck it ralph will win because it was a better movie, but i doubt that it will win

Feb 21 - 09:33 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

Say the phrase "will win" one more time, I dare you.

Feb 22 - 06:53 AM

Ahmed Reloaded

Ahmed Reloaded

Hahaha.

Feb 22 - 03:08 PM

Ahmed Reloaded

Ahmed Reloaded

And once again - hahahahah No hard feelings, Yonatan... :)

Feb 22 - 03:09 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

I'm still not so sure that Argo will win.

Feb 21 - 09:37 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

I know: Deakins has been nominated 10 F*CKING TIMES...so has Thomas Newman, for that matter!

Feb 21 - 09:38 PM

Barry McCockener

Bard The Bowman

Its gonna be kinda weird if the academy gives the Best Picture award to Argo, since they didn't even nominate Affleck for best director. It should definitely go to Argo or Silvers Linings Playbook, though

Feb 21 - 09:41 PM

Tory Lee

Tory Lee

Agreed.

Feb 22 - 01:29 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

These are about what I think. I'm going to hate seeing Lawrence win best actress, not because she's bad at all but because Chastain is who should win. Pixar winning Best Animation will be the first they've won it and shouldn't.

Two catagories I'm totally up in the air about are Original Screenplay and Supporting Actor. On the latter I lean towards Jones but Waltz could take it. Django is who I lean towards in OS, but Amour or ZDT could spoil it for the Tarantino fanboys.

Feb 21 - 09:56 PM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

Hopefully the Academy Awards won't be as lazy and pathetic as the Golden Globes, and just hand out the Best Animated Feature Award to Brave, instead of watching the films. It's already bad enough that Frankenweenie and Wreck-it-Ralph got snubbed by the Golden Globes, but if Brave wins the Oscar, now you're snubbing ParaNorman as well....

Feb 21 - 10:00 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

I hope your right on best actress, but the backlash on the movie which has been so totally undeserved I fear will take Chastain as collateral damage.

Feb 21 - 10:02 PM

Lawrence Garcia

Lawrence Garcia

I hope that Jessica Chastain wins as well, but I think that at this point it's between Jennifer Lawrence and Emmanuelle Riva. I hate that the backlash affected her chances so much.

Feb 21 - 11:54 PM

JD Shippel

JD Shippel

The baseless allegations and petty controversy surrounding ZDT is such a shame. It really should have cleaned up in nominations and deserves to win Picture, Screenplay, and Best Actress (and Bigelow sure as hell deserved a directing nom)

Feb 22 - 11:54 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Leon Panetta counts as baseless?

Feb 22 - 12:46 PM

Chris Reed

Chris Reed

Every thing looks good except best score, while Lincoln was good it was a step down from Warhorse and compared to Williams other dramatic works Lincoln barely rises to be among the best. Also Wreck-It-Ralph deserves Best Animated Film

Feb 21 - 10:19 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

nice

Feb 21 - 10:25 PM

Bane vs Randy

Bane vs Randy

Zero Dark Thirty should win for best picture! Too bad it won't.

Feb 21 - 10:46 PM

Travis Somerville

Travis Somerville

I thought ParaNorman was the best animated film this year.

Feb 21 - 10:46 PM

Timothy Figueroa

Timothy Figueroa

I hope Life Of Pi wins Original Score. Such beautiful music, especially "Pi's Lullaby".

Feb 21 - 11:28 PM

Eero Vanne

Eero Vanne

I still think Argo and Lincoln are overrated, but if another one of them has to win it's Argo. Lincoln had terrific acting but the movie is meant to hunt for Oscars and it wasn't a special film in Spielberg's filmography in any way.

Feb 21 - 11:29 PM

Olivia Iswara

Olivia Iswara

I think it is a special film. Expect it to be a classic in a few years.

Feb 22 - 02:06 AM

Rona Laney

Rona Laney

i think jaws should win

Feb 21 - 11:29 PM

Lawrence Garcia

Lawrence Garcia

Feb 21 - 11:54 PM

Olivia Iswara

Olivia Iswara

Oh damn this whole Argo gaining momentum thing, ARGO IS WAY OVERRATED! It has been a while since the Academy did give its Best Picture to the truly best of the year, if this year's does go to Argo, I think I will forever be an Oscar cynic.

Feb 22 - 02:03 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The Society of Oscar Cynics proudly embrace you with open arms and soothing libation.

Feb 22 - 12:48 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus