RT's Oscar Picks 2013 - Results

Summary

We at Rotten Tomatoes freely admit we're not the world's greatest Oscar prognosticators. Still, we did a bit better than usual this year; while there were some surprises (Sound Editing was a tie?!) and a few winners that aren't all that surprising in retrospect, most of our predictions came true at the 85th Annual Academy Awards. Read on to see how our forecast squared with the final results! Back to Article

Comments

EdP-Review

edgar perez

please delight us with your choices then...

Feb 22 - 11:48 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Picture, Actor, Director, Cinematography: The Master, Phoenix, PT Anderson; Supp Actor: Sam Jackson; Original Script: Moonrise Kingdom; Original Song/Art, Costume Design: Holy Motors; Actress: Emmanuelle Riva; Supp Actress: Amy Adams

Feb 22 - 12:45 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I like these. Although I think QT for Screenplay is a worthy choice. And the fact that The Master didn't at least get a best cinematography nod is bogus as well.
I also would have picked Skyfall for best cinematography. If only for the scene where they are fighting silhouetted against the neon lights. That was sexy stuff.

Feb 22 - 02:13 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I still haven't seen "Skyfall", sadly, but I've seen stills from that scene, and it does look amazing.

Feb 22 - 02:44 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Take my word for it "Skyfall" does have some inconsistencies- it's almost as if the writers watched Nolans Batman films to come up with the plot for this one!

Feb 22 - 04:06 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I actually kind of liked it that they followed Nolan's Batman films and left some things up to the viewer. It made Silva more terrifying because we weren't quite sure how he operated (eg, how he escaped out of jail).

Feb 23 - 09:40 AM

Matt Hoffman

matthew hoffman

In a perfect world!

Feb 24 - 11:03 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Silvia was just a regular man who could be shot and killed like everyone else!

Feb 25 - 05:02 PM

JD Shippel

JD Shippel

The baseless allegations and petty controversy surrounding ZDT is such a shame. It really should have cleaned up in nominations and deserves to win Picture, Screenplay, and Best Actress (and Bigelow sure as hell deserved a directing nom)

Feb 22 - 11:54 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Leon Panetta counts as baseless?

Feb 22 - 12:46 PM

JD Shippel

JD Shippel

False. She was subtle, something the role called for. She was brilliant.

Feb 22 - 11:55 AM

David Platt

David Platt

Agreed; shame the film she was in is a dull, boring mess. She was brilliant the film wasn't, it was no where near as good as The Hurt Locker.

Feb 22 - 01:04 PM

Bryce Sage

Bryce Sage

@ David what were you smoking? Hurt Locker was an overrated bore and ZD30 is the best film this year, more sorely snubbed than Argo (which steals all the pity votes ZD30 should be getting).

Feb 22 - 04:07 PM

Ryan Hilbert

Ryan Hilbert

Sorry But Denzel Deserves BA For Flight More Than DDL For Lincoln...And Christoph Waltz Deserves BSA For Django About 187,000 Times More Than Tommy Lee...Lincoln Is Like The LeBron James Of The Oscars...Everybody Plays Favorites...It Wasn't Even That Good Of A Movie.

Feb 22 - 12:11 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Except LeBron is the best player in the NBA. I hate the guy too, but it's hard to deny his talent.

Feb 25 - 04:25 PM

Matt Hoffman

matthew hoffman

In a perfect world!

Feb 24 - 11:03 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Silvia was just a regular man who could be shot and killed like everyone else!

Feb 25 - 05:02 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Leon Panetta counts as baseless?

Feb 22 - 12:46 PM

Janson Jinnistan

The Society of Oscar Cynics proudly embrace you with open arms and soothing libation.

Feb 22 - 12:48 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

Sorry Jennifer Lawrence, but I want Chastain to take home Best Actress. I love Lawrence, but Chastain was just wonderful.

Feb 22 - 12:52 PM

David Platt

David Platt

Deakins may have been nominated alot, but clearly the Cinematography in Life of Pi is far better then any of the nominees; it should and will win.

Feb 22 - 01:02 PM

David Platt

David Platt

Feb 22 - 01:04 PM

Phetros Falc„o

Phetros Falc„o

It looks very likely that Argo will win Best Picture, although Lincoln could proably win. And I think that Tony Kushner will win for his screenplay. But I really hope that Waltz will win Best Supporting Actor, although I would not complain if Hoffman won.

Feb 22 - 01:11 PM

Tory Lee

Tory Lee

In all complete honesty, I agree that what I see here will win (besides Brave. Wreck-it Ralph has it), but I just... I just want Silver Linings Playbook to win huge. I think it's quite deserving. Blah. At least Jennifer Lawrence will win her well deserved oscar.

But seriously, if you're not going to nominate Ben Affleck for directing, give it to someone who worked hard, did a fantastic job, and isn't already the king of best directing oscars.

Feb 22 - 01:22 PM

Austin W.

Austin Williamson

You shunned "Skyfall" in every single category it was in except Best Original Song...the score and cinematography was incredible :(

Feb 22 - 01:23 PM

Oliver D.

Oliver Davidson

I wouldn't say they "shunned it." They are picking who will win, not who they think deserves to win. I have Argo, Jennifer Lawrence, Day-Lewis, Hathaway, Lee Jones, and Spielberg all winning. However, I think Zero Dark Thirty, Riva, Phoenix, Hathaway, Hoffman, and Bigelow or PTA should win.

Feb 22 - 05:05 PM

Jesse Waitkoss

Jesse Waitkoss

ParaNorman SHOULD win. Frankly, it's one of the finest animated films ever made. As for Life of Pi's Cinematography, It is most likely going to take home the Oscar even though Roger Deakins photography was better. Still, both enhanced the visual story telling. Zero Dark Thirty should win best Editing. That final 30-40 minutes alone is proof of that. Everything else seems pretty standard though.

Feb 22 - 01:28 PM

Tory Lee

Tory Lee

Agreed.

Feb 22 - 01:29 PM

Chad Anderson

Chad Anderson

Frankenweenie really should win. It was easily the best animated film of the year, and in my opinion, Burton's best work since Ed Wood

Feb 22 - 01:43 PM

Darian Dorafshar

Darian Dorafshar

Agreed

Feb 22 - 01:59 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

Feb 22 - 02:13 PM

Jameson B.

Jameson Bradford

Ang Lee will get director, not Spielberg.

Feb 22 - 02:21 PM

Jesus Ferrer

Jesus Ferrer

Wreck-It Ralph

Feb 22 - 02:29 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday