Army of Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Army of Darkness Reviews

½ April 11, 2016
It may not be what its predecessors were, but Army of Darkness offers amazing practical effects, and charming tongue-in-cheek humor.
November 12, 2012
A big joke, but a good one. The three Evil Dead films are like a long film, because there's no timeouts between the events of the films. The greatest trilogy to watch at Halloween.
½ March 27, 2016
God this movie is so awesome. Entertaining, gorey, funny, unique... just greatness.
½ March 19, 2016
Army of Darkness is the third film of the Evil Dead series, directed by Sam Raimi, written by the Raimi brothers, and it stars Bruce Campbell in a comedy film about Ash Williams being trapped in the Middle Ages and has to deal with the deadites to get to the present time. Out of all the movies in this series, Army of Darkness is the one that I watched the least, which I think is because I didn't like how it went to comedy with little to no horror in it. So I remember it being the least liked for it, but I was quite sure if I liked it at the time, or didn't liked it. So after watching this, Army of Darkness is the best Evil Dead movie by comparison, but it's the funniest one out of all of them, and I still enjoyed it very much. Bruce Campbell is having a lot of fun in this, whether it is being a bad*bleep*, an a hole, and wacky. The one liners that he says are very quotable as the dialogue is pretty good. The story is good, and the humor it has is really funny. The slapstick is funny, which is saying something, and the writing is just great. The effects are great, both visual and stop-motion effects. The score by Joseph LoLuca and the theme song by Danny Elfman is catchy to listen, and the action scenes are a delight to watch. The only problem that I had, is that I didn't really seem much of a chemistry between Ash and Shelia, but despite that, Army of Darkness is a really great end to the trilogy that is my favorite horror trilogy.
August 27, 2011
This is easily the best film in Sam Raimi's Evil Dead trilogy. The film is genuinely hilarious with tons of memorable and quotable one-liners, and this is the film where Ash fully comes into his own and becomes the character that I've come to know and love.

8/10
January 30, 2011
Bruce Campbell is god!.... simple as. It may be the weakest of the Evil Dead trilogy, and you could certainly say it somewhat tries a little bit too hard, but Army Of Darkness is an insane amount of fun, it caps off in style possibly the most diverse (and outside of the back to the future/indiana jones and lord of the rings trilogy, the most consistent) trilogy of films ever, each one was radically different to the last, the first being a grungy, nasty masterpiece of hardcore gory darkness laced with black, black humor, the second (and absolute) best a sort of remake of the first, and an outright live action cartoon, Evil Dead 2 is an explosion of ferocious insanity, hilarity and demented invention, and Army is a python-esque medieval, action adventure, fantasy, comedy epic. It's ragged, overblown and sometimes slapdash but just utterly fucking joyful. The directors cut on US blu ray is the only version you or anyone should be watching, that this movie took THIS long to be seen in all it's glory is mad, you get more battle, more glorious gags and the entire unbutchered sequence of ASh being attacked by mini versions of himself, the full version of this scene is a sublime extended bit of insanely silly slapstick and highlights the comedic genius of Bruce Campbell, in not sure there is a better psychical comedian in the last 30 years. This is also the full Ash, the truly complete character we came to know and love, brash, macho, stupid, clumsy, disastrously incompetent at times and when it comes down to it, an outright badass of an action hero, it's like the three movies gradually assemble this character into who we now think he always was from the start (in the first film he's basically a complete little weed who nuts up and becomes the final guy) and the film is packed full of madcap cartoon nuttiness and crazy action and effects, plus an hilariously bleak ending. This movie is always a true pleasure to watch. Massively quotable too, "give me some sugar baby" and for the cheap seats, "this is my BOOM STICK"! brilliant.
February 16, 2016
Yes, it is funny! But, you do need to be in a jolly mode per-se, to climb into the madness and absurd humor and endless cheezyness. Itīs entertaining and dearing in regards to the unholy un-self rigtheousness.
February 12, 2016
Easily one of my favorite movies
Spooky,goofy and fun to watch
And the dark ending caught me of guard and dare I say it scared me!!!!
July 19, 2015
Hail to the king baby!
January 19, 2016
Absolutely mental. The slapstick in this when Ash is in the cabin is priceless. Campbell's physical comedy is outstanding. Groovy.
½ September 22, 2007
This film is tremendously fun, has a great sense of humor, Bruce Campbell is excellent, as usual, and Sam Raimi's directing style is fantastic and unique.
½ February 25, 2011
Quite silly but has its moments.

A man in modern times, Ash (played by Bruce Campbell), is attacked by
an evil force and transported back in time, to the Dark Ages. He is
soon captured by the local king but eventually wins the locals over.
The local wise man figures that Ash is The Chosen One, a special person
sent to free the land from evil forces. To do so he must track down a
special book, the Necronomicon, and recite a certain phrase. However,
things don't go exactly to plan...

This started well. The jokes flowed thick and fast and Bruce Campbell
was great with the one-liners. The plot was never going to be too
serious but it wasn't too bad to start off with, and the humour carried
the movie.

Then, from a point, it just got stupidly silly, and the jokes become
less frequent. It stopped being a comedy and become a common-or- garden
zombie / living dead movie. There were still a few good incidences and
laugh-out-loud moments, but these were negated by the silliness of the
plot.

Overall, more silly than funny, but not to a huge extent.
September 23, 2011
The 'Evil Dead' franchise, aiming more for an action/adventure vibe in an attempt to broaden its audience, takes on the cheesy monster movies and sword-and-sorcery epics of the 60's and does it brilliantly. 'Army of Darkness' is a worthy addition to the series, as well as a wonderful, whimsical comic homage to Ray Harryhausen.
December 23, 2015
pretty bad but worth a few laughs. I liked it when I was younger.
August 13, 2008
Todavia peor que la segunda parte, se metieron en terrenos medievales y ejercitos de zombies. Pesima conclusion a la trilogia.
December 5, 2015
Still one of the most utterly watchable movies ever. Its fun every time you see it.
½ November 17, 2015
I think the worst movie I ever saw
November 16, 2015
My full opinion: Well, I don't have any issues, while I was watching it, and I certainly wasn't at all disappointed with it. What I can tell you about Army of Darkness is this. It's not as funny or, entertaining as Evil Dead 2, but I did laugh, and I did find myself entertained by it, nevertheless. 3/4
November 6, 2015
The third opus of the hilarious horror trilogy, Army Of Darkness is a hell of a ride! Funny, witty and filled with classic lines, this final installment goes beyond anything imaginable and turns out to be a great conclusion to the saga of Ash Vs. Evil. Of course the freshness of the original or even the creativity of the second are not as sharp here but the plot unfolds quite nicely and the situations flows. It's totally relax but it's entertaining, fun, well shot and definitely a heck of a trip! CULT!
½ December 5, 2008
The first thing that this movie is is a special effects masterpiece. For its time and budget, there is no questioning Sam Raimi's wonderboy talent as a visual artist.

The camp is in top form with endlessly quotable cheese ball lines, Bruce Campbell is terrifically suited to the character of Ash, more so than in the last two, and as I said, the effects are awesome.
It's endless, utter silliness and cool action makes this a fantastically entertaining camp horror comedy classic.