Army of Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Army of Darkness Reviews

½ September 22, 2007
This film is tremendously fun, has a great sense of humor, Bruce Campbell is excellent, as usual, and Sam Raimi's directing style is fantastic and unique.
½ February 25, 2011
Quite silly but has its moments.

A man in modern times, Ash (played by Bruce Campbell), is attacked by
an evil force and transported back in time, to the Dark Ages. He is
soon captured by the local king but eventually wins the locals over.
The local wise man figures that Ash is The Chosen One, a special person
sent to free the land from evil forces. To do so he must track down a
special book, the Necronomicon, and recite a certain phrase. However,
things don't go exactly to plan...

This started well. The jokes flowed thick and fast and Bruce Campbell
was great with the one-liners. The plot was never going to be too
serious but it wasn't too bad to start off with, and the humour carried
the movie.

Then, from a point, it just got stupidly silly, and the jokes become
less frequent. It stopped being a comedy and become a common-or- garden
zombie / living dead movie. There were still a few good incidences and
laugh-out-loud moments, but these were negated by the silliness of the
plot.

Overall, more silly than funny, but not to a huge extent.
August 13, 2008
Todavia peor que la segunda parte, se metieron en terrenos medievales y ejercitos de zombies. Pesima conclusion a la trilogia.
December 5, 2015
Still one of the most utterly watchable movies ever. Its fun every time you see it.
November 16, 2015
My full opinion: Well, I don't have any issues, while I was watching it, and I certainly wasn't at all disappointed with it. What I can tell you about Army of Darkness is this. It's not as funny or, entertaining as Evil Dead 2, but I did laugh, and I did find myself entertained by it, nevertheless. 3/4
November 6, 2015
The third opus of the hilarious horror trilogy, Army Of Darkness is a hell of a ride! Funny, witty and filled with classic lines, this final installment goes beyond anything imaginable and turns out to be a great conclusion to the saga of Ash Vs. Evil. Of course the freshness of the original or even the creativity of the second are not as sharp here but the plot unfolds quite nicely and the situations flows. It's totally relax but it's entertaining, fun, well shot and definitely a heck of a trip! CULT!
½ October 31, 2015
It follows a similar structure of a storyline, but the horror series gets better and better in a nice change of setting with some fantasy action and little more comic, and more work into Campbell's performance. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
November 1, 2015
As a family friendly fantasy adventure, Army of Darkness is actually pretty damn good with a great final battle, unfortunately though, because of its looney toon nature and lack of horror, it falls short as an Evil Dead sequel.
October 1, 2015
The face that someone said, "THIS IS THE GUY I WANT TO MAKE SPIDER-MAN," blows my mind. Army of Darkness is a direct continuation of the Evil Dead 2 and stomps its predecessor's face in the mud to climb over it. Hilarious and quotable this is the sort of movie that aggravates your partner after watching since you will likely start squinting your eyes and saying groovy for no reason. The effects are often rotten but it doesn't matter if you love it and I love it.
October 22, 2015
One of the funniest films ever made.
October 23, 2015
How did we go from a simple horror movie in a cabin in the woods to a horror comedy set in medieval times? Sam Raimi, that's how. This movie is hilarious, and if you didn't watch Evil Dead 2, you would be confused as heck to see this paired up with the first two movies. This is the campiest, the funniest, and the most outright weird entry in the Evil Dead franchise. Despite this, it is my least favorite. That doesn't mean it doesn't have incredible scenes. The acting is hilarious, Bruce Campbell owns the role of Ash again, and the stop-motion visuals work well with it's campy tone. It truly is an impressive feat when you look at it's visuals, even if it does look dated today. Sometimes the movie slows down, and overall it feels like the most conventional, despite the wackiness. The first two are so unique in story and visuals that this ultimately feels like a medieval comedy that plays out like you would expect. It doesn't have the jaw-dropping "I don't know if I'm supposed to be scared or laughing" moments, but as this movie isn't much of a horror movie, it doesn't bother me too much. Overall, it isn't as unique as the first two, but it is ever-so entertaining. Hail to the king, baby! 8.5/10
October 22, 2015
It's a fine enough movie, and if it wasn't part of the Evil Dead series it would be an easy four stars. However, it's so tonally different from the other two that it's almost distracting. Bruce Campbell still gives a great performance, but it's hard to root for Ash, who in this movie is honestly kind of a jerk.
March 31, 2012
Army of Darkness (or Evil Dead III, if you're so inclined) had the potential to be the worst film in the Evil Dead series. If you really think about it, the story and the ideas contained within could have come off as far too hokey or ridiculous and could have potentially hurt the film's success. Thankfully, they don't. The film is hokey, to be sure, but it's intentional. It's far removed from the original horror classic. Sam Raimi, Ivan Raimi, Robert Tapert, and Bruce Campbell knew exactly what they were doing when they made it. Despite the multiple versions of the film (U.S. Theatrical Cut, Director's Cut, International Cut), the film made a splash with not only fans of the Evil Dead films but of the genre, as well. Does it eclipse Evil Dead I and II? Well no, that's not possible, but it does add to the fun without taking anything away from it. It's a movie I never tire of and it's an absolute blast to watch. By the way, in case you might be wondering, I prefer the U.S. Theatrical Cut. The longer cuts are just too clunky, in my opinion.
October 9, 2015
Greatest Movie of All Time!
½ October 2, 2015
With a seamless mix of over the top action and comedy and the fully evolved character of Ash Williams delivering his best one liners, Army of Darkness concludes Sam Raimi's Evil dead trilogy in the most fitting and memorable way possible.
September 30, 2015
I consider this a classic. It also one of the rare times that a 3rd sequel is better than the first two movies.
"Gimmie Some Sugar, Baby."
½ September 3, 2015
The funniest one among three.
May 31, 2009
After how suspenseful and spooky the first two movies were, this movie is kind of a step down in quality. It's definitely going for a very different tone, but it doesn't always feel like Raimi knows what kind of movie he wants to make. He tries to retain the creepy aesthetic of Evil Dead through the make-up design and camerawork, but he's more interested in comedy and all out campy action this time around. Sometimes it works well, as this is easily the funniest and most quotable movie in the series. However, it will occasionally shift into flat out Looney Tunes/Tex Avery shenanigans with such a jarring thrust that it gets hard to care if Ash wins or not. We cared about Ash in the first two because we could feel the torment that anguished him in between the crazy scenarios. This Ash is such an action hero archetype that he always has a joke even in the saddest of moments, which makes for funny dialogue but not a lot of sympathy. And while the Evil Dead films have been largely focused on him, it's hard to ignore how incidental everything else in the story is. There's no investment in his romance arc that feels crow barred in to not have it be all guys in the film, none of the other characters have any presence and the comedic antics of the enemy range from suitably malevolent to Star Wars droids levels of out of place.Also, this was clearly before Raimi figured out how to direct action that isn't horror rooted, as the antics of the extras in particular are so unconvincing that it pulls out right out of certain scenes.

That said, the spirited direction Raimi provides, along with stellar production value overall, is handled as well as you would want from a movie in this series. Sometimes you don't mind how fake the skeletons look because it's all in line with the film's visual tone and the camerawork does a lot to make them feel involved in a scene. Also, Bruce Campbell has never been better than he was in this movie either, even if Ash has inexplicably become an outrageous prick between this film and the last. He exudes the charisma and swagger that Raimi matches visually to make us care about the story even when there's not a whole lot of tension to be had.

I know I may come off more negative than my score reflects, but it really is not as strong a film as the others were. Even those had their limitations, but they feel a lot more focused and tense with what they had to work with. This film wants to be something totally different but still retain the Evil Dead brand, all the while channeling a "kid with a film camera" sense of storytelling. What you get is a stew of a movie, with lot of good parts mixed in stuff that just doesn't work very well. Still, if you can just stick with it, it has plenty of moments to make up for how scatterbrained it comes off as.
August 17, 2015
Army of Darkness is essentially the most badass movie I've ever seen. Is it the greatest movie I've ever seen? No. But in a list of personal favorites this is certainly up there.