96% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

Army of Darkness Reviews

NotEnoughSlavesInIt
February 16, 2014
69%
Not my favorite, but still filled with funny quotes to be definitely worth watching.
October 27, 2012
This is my favourite bad movie. Nothing about this film should be taken seriously, they definitely don't!
March 17, 2014
This is more hilarious than any comedy film you watched lately, highly entertaining with an excellent direction from Sam Raimi.
March 7, 2014
This cult classic is groovy.
March 8, 2014
One of the best hybrid films there is, Ash comes into full perspective as a hero in this film.
September 23, 2011
The 'Evil Dead' franchise, aiming more for an action/adventure vibe in an attempt to broaden its audience, takes on the cheesy monster movies and sword-and-sorcery epics of the 60's and does it brilliantly. A worthy addition to the series, as well as a wonderfully comic homage to Ray Harryhausen.
February 13, 2013
Both Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell's careers started taking off after "Evil Dead II." Raimi's "Deadman" was a commercial and critical hit, while Campbell found considerably more acting jobs, mainly in B-movies. In 1992, they reunited once more for the third and final (?) film in the "Evil Dead" series, "Army of Darkness."

"Evil Dead II" ended with Ash being sent back in time through a wormhole to the year 1300 AD along with the demons. This was actually envisioned to happen as a main plot point of the movie, but they couldn't manage it, so they just made it the ending. But it's the whole story of this movie, as Ash now has to defend medieval soldiers against a whole army of the dead.

I have to mention the opening; after a very brief recap by Ash of "Evil Dead II," he arrives in the past and is captured by Lord Arthur's (Marcus Gilbert) men and sent to his death...odd, considering the last movie ended with him killing a demon and being proclaimed a savior; I guess continuity was never entirely important to the filmmakers of this series.

Anyway, he is thrown into a pit to battle a demonic creature-now called a Deadite-and is able to kill it; now he's proclaimed a savior. Of course, he just wants to go home, but he has to find the Book of the Dead and recite the magic phrase - "Klaatu verata nicto"-which, of course, is a line from "The Day the Earth Stood Still." But when he finally finds the book, he forgets the third word; this causes the dead to rise from all the graves and march back to attack the castle; this includes Ash's own evil duplicate that came from a shattered mirror.

By now, there's no real horror; it's more of a medieval action comedy, with a lot of cartoon sound effects and slapstick humor. It's a little distracting, but the good news is that Ash is totally fleshed out as a character; he has a lot of personality and delivers a lot of classic lines; Campbell's charisma definitely shines here, in both of his roles. He also has a love interest named Sheila (Embeth Davidtz) who is taken over by the Deadites; I don't really care for her. She spends her first bit of screen time blaming Ash for killing her brother-quite irrationally, in my opinion; she can't even have known what happened. And I don't think we even know who her brother is, so why do we care?

Much like "Evil Dead II," the highlight is when Ash is off by himself...well, he and other versions of himself, but it's still great. The ending is a really awesome fight between the soldiers and the Deadites, which settles a feud between Arthur's men and Duke Henry's (Richard Grove) men. It's a lot of the same effects and cinematography we've seen in the first two movies, but it's still a lot of fun to watch.

"Army of Darkness" feels like a little bit of a sore thumb compared to the first two "Evil Dead" movies, but just a little sore. It's certainly entertaining, and it basically verifies Campbell's role in film history as an all-around bad-ass. Now is the series over? Both Raimi and Campbell have spoken of an upcoming "Army of Darkness 2," and then a merging of the original series with the remake series. I have no idea how much of this is true, but I'm really curious. For now, enjoy Raimi's trilogy; it's awesome.
Diego Tutweiller
January 12, 2014
Oh dear, I seem to have committed some sacrilege against the Evil Dead franchise. This is the only movie out of the Evil Dead films that I find enjoyable, and even then it's not very good. It's one of those films that gets a 10/10 for pure, unbridled entertainment value and a 2 or so for everything else. It's silly, chaotic, and features an army of dead people led by evil Bruce Campbell. What more could you possibly ask for?

Unlike Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness actually does something creative with the franchise instead of settling with being a carbon copy of the first film. In this installment, Ash Williams (Campbell) has been sucked back through time... for some reason... and has landed in medieval times, where two warring nation-things have to band together in order to defeat the menace of a, well, Army of Darkness. Even if you don't like this movie, you have to appreciate the pure awesomeness of nearly every line of dialogue spoken in it. "My name is Ash... and this is my boomstick!" If you haven't heard that quote before, you've most likely been living under a rock.

Of course, I can't give high marks to a movie as silly as this one, but it gains massive points for pure and unfettered entertainment value. Nothing will ever top Bruce Campbell's mechanical hand in terms of silliness and unbridled enthusiasm. You have to appreciate just how amazing it is that a movie like this could have been made, especially since it was spawned from a low-budget horror franchise. The camp level of this film reaches maximum levels, with a typical damsel-in-distress romantic subplot and skeleton warriors who look like they're right out of Jason and the Argonauts. Every ounce of this movie is so outlandish, so ridiculously over-the-top, you can't help but be entertained by it.

Army of Darkness is also helped along by the fact that, simply put, it's original. The Evil Dead was a pretty bland horror movie, and its sequel was a carbon copy of the first. This one dispenses with the usual gimmicks by completely reversing the franchise's concept. Instead of straight-up horror, this installment is more of an action and adventure flick with a horror element thrown in, making it everything The Mummy should have been-- and more. This is probably why Evil Dead fans (Deadheads, we shall call them) dislike this installment in the franchise: It's different. And I'm not bashing them, I'm just assuming that we wanted different things out of this movie, and I ended up being far more entertained than they were. Horror has never been my favorite genre (I think I've only really liked two horror movies through my whole life), so a little action/comedy infusion was welcome here. If that's not what you're looking for, hey, I get it. Stick to the first two films and you'll have a great time.

Final Score for Army of Darkness: 6/10 stars. Yes, with this enormously positive review, you'd expect a 7 or even an 8, but I can't give this movie too many points, mainly because it's so silly and forgettable. The only moments that will really stick in your head are the one-liners; the rest of it is take-it-or-leave-it entertainment. Yes, it will never get old seeing Bruce Campbell outfit his car with zombie-killing devices using only his chemistry textbook and middle-ages technology. But there is (as you could probably guess from the title alone) virtually no substance to this movie. Yes, it's hilarious. Yes, it's entertaining. No, that does not make it great.
February 17, 2014
Todos os filmes da serie são incríveis, esperei minha infância inteira para ver Ash no passado e não deixou nada a desejar. Ótimas piadas em um filme memorável. O único filme ruim é o remake
Maineutral R.
July 27, 2013
Yeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhh baaaaby! This was huge FUN! Army of Darkness is a short, less scary but super fun movie that ends the Evil Dead trilogy in a hilarious and strangely fitting note. One-liners, cool attitudes, fun stuff, slapstick and entertaining are at hand in Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness.

The first Evil Dead was a great film: scary, subtly, dark and memorable, but it wasn't huge fun in terms of slapstick. The second was even better: not only was it scary, but it was also funny in the slapstick territory, and we found out it worked better that way. The third one now gets rid of the scary element and goes purely on fun slapstick. It might disappoint some, but for me, I don't care, cause one: it was obvious that the second one couldn't be surpassed; and two: I prefer slapstick of horror, so the movie can have fun with itself for God's sake. Thanks to this, we can say the whole trilogy is just great and worth.

Army of Darkness might be the most rentable of the Evil Dead movies, even if it's the less satisfactory of them. It still represents a huge entertaining and fun movie. If you're sick to death of really crappy spoofs, Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider movies, Army of Darkness is your movie to actually have fun. Highly recommended.
February 15, 2014
With the Evil Dead and it's semi-sequel, Sam Raimi's tongue was firmly in cheek however here it is wagging briskly. The inspired lunacy has been reduced to an onslaught of comedic misfires and the perfunctory swords and sorcery plot wouldn't feel out of place in a generic children's fantasy. Were it not for Bruce Campbell's amiably cool screen presence the movie would have basically no merits whatsoever.
August 13, 2007
Awesomeness incarnate. Its Maddox's #1 Movie
November 11, 2011
completely abandoning the horror of the first one and taking the slapstick of the second one to a whole new level Army of Darkness is a gem.
August 5, 2010
esta movie es pa' chavar jaja
April 5, 2013
Though it may be a step down from it's incredible predecessor, Army of Darkness is endlessly quotable, surprisingly epic, and extremely funny
January 24, 2014
More of a remake of Jason and the Agronauts than a sequel to Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness makes a cohesive plot through dynamic team-work shifting and rivalries set aside to become alliance in fighting the new, different but less scary demons.
January 23, 2014
best movie in the entire franchise by far
January 8, 2014
[1/8/14] Today was a cold day, temperature was low enough to make me think I lived on Hoth. And as I went through the 'free' section of Fios-on-Demand, I saw one film that sparked my interest. Folks, today I watched a classic horror film by name of "Army of Darkness" for the first time. I'd give it a five but, from my understanding, it's not the best film in the series but it's pretty damn close to a five. Sure some of the visual effects look crappy at times but the entertainment value made the muddier shots easy to look over. It's not a long film and the film does have a few great line. There could have been a bit more gore in my opinion but hey, I wasn't disappointed by the choreography so I won't fully dig up that rant. Overall, Sam Raimi's picture is one of a kind; I mean, a medieval battle with the dead AND it features a "corpse orchestra?" I'm in, I'm all the way in.
February 18, 2013
Hail to the king, baby. It ditches the tense horror elements of the first two in favor of slapstick humor, but the film embraces it along with it's B-movie quality with no
shame in it's game and still manages to become a Evil Dead film of epic proportions all thanks to Bruce Campbell's sly performance.
January 9, 2014
This is a classic movie. Sequl to evil dead and evil dead to, its a really good time. If you like raunchy horror movies, then this will be your cup of tea. good time. especially with a few beers ;)