62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Arthur Christmas Reviews

Sam B

December 14, 2012
Though lacking the technical wizardry of other contemporary animated movies, Arthur Christmas is tightly scripted, creative and witty in surprising ways (which itself is unsurprising given the Aardman legacy), and emotionally sophisticated. Likely the best under-the-radar animated movie of the last several years.
Anthony L

December 10, 2013
Hurrah, a new and original Christmas film to join the very few really good Christmas films list. I loved the idea of each Santa handing down the responsibility to each Son and the evolution of the Christmas eve Toy delivery. Typically with Ardman films, it's all about the details. If you miss all the little beautiful quirks in this film then I'm afraid your brain has been a little too programmed by the deluge of awful Christmas films released before. It is funny, refreshing, exciting and impressive. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will probably make a point of watching it every year, maybe even in Summer, as it is that good.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

November 24, 2011
much has been made of this film as a Christmas gem, a future classic. this is a very fun movie, but a bit chaotic, a good film, but not really as good as the hype. overall this is a definitely a solid enough movie to make it a semi regular addition to our holiday watching.
Josh L

November 29, 2011
A wonderfully inventive holiday film with fantastic animation and a story that rivals Pixar in tenderness and heartfelt moments. This is another animated movie that is just as entertaining and worthwhile for adults as it is children. It's also very entertaining, even with a little bit of padding in the middle of the story that isn't as strong as the rest of the movie. The story takes all the mythology of previous Santa stories and gives it a 21st century twist that we have not yet seen and it is very cool. This is one Christmas film that I will delight in watching during the holidays every year. Aardman Animations knocked this one out of the park.
Cynthia S

November 23, 2011
This rather charming, and funny, little animated feature takes a little bit to get going. But, when it does, it is absolutely wonderful! This was one of the best children's movies I've seen in quite awhile. The story was very touching, and the animation top notch. This definitely got my holiday spirits rolling.........
Graham J

November 16, 2012
My wife got this for my daughter and her to watch and I didn't plan on watching it. An hour and a half later, I realized that I never got off the couch. A holiday filmed with wit and charm, and amazing detail.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 16, 2010
"A major problem with cartoons today is that they forget that the movie is for the child. Yes the adult escorts the child to the movie and I appreciate some adult humor thrown in with the child related humor. But this movie is missing (like so many others) the simplicity cartoons use to have when I was growing up. The child is the one who's going to annoy the parent to see the movie a million times and beg for it when it's released on DVD. I didn't get the movie for me, I got it for my niece's and nephew's. They were bored. They enjoyed the opening scene and some of the crazy stunts that came from Grandsanta, but that's about it. I, like them, was expecting more."
Scott G

October 29, 2011
Definitely one of the brightest, funniest festive films of the year, with easily recognizable voices (which, might I add, I see as a good thing) with a fun plot and all around one little girl, I'm sure there are quite a few people that can relate?
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

December 30, 2011
Arthur Christmas is a beautiful and fun Christmas movie that is sure to be a holiday classic. The story follows Arthur who is the son of Santa Clause, his brother Steve is a smart but at times inconsiderate role model who is second in command to Santa, and when a little girl has a gift that did not get sent Arthur does everything he can to make sure this girl has a Merry Christmas. The plot of the movie is funny and a great lesson to be told about Christmas and children, and what i learned from this movie if anything is that every child needs to believe in Santa, because there is nothing better than believeing that there is somebody who loves you that whill bring you a present on Christmas day, and the characters of the film were good but i found the characters to be a little selfish at times besides Arthur who was a incredibly kind and good charcater and he saved the film in a way from being just a bunch of selfish men wanting to be a star. The voice cast was great, James McAvoy was perfect for the character, Hugh Laurie was also was a well done choice as Steve, Jim Broadbent was good as the voice as Santa, and Bill Nighy was also a great choice for his role, what else can I say for voice actors other than I liked them. The animation was incredible, I could really tell they worked hard to make a beautiful Christmas film and it really payed off big time, I loved the beauty in this film. Arthur Christmas had some few problems that kept it from being a perfect Christmas film, but those were minor compared to the things that they got right that made it a great Christmas film and that will make it remembered for years to come.
Mark H

December 5, 2011
When a Christmas gift - a bike - accidentally goes undelivered to a little girl, Santa's son Arthur takes the initiative to solve the problem. Arthur Christmas is a joint venture between Sony Pictures Animation and Aardman Animations, the British studio known for Wallace and Gromit. Cold, charmless Christmas movie radiates scarcely any tradition or warmth. I didn't realize the classic tale of Santa Claus needed to be re-written for contemporary audiences but that's what we're presented with here. It's about as captivating as a lump of coal.

Arthur Christmas is an overly simplified tale aimed exclusively at very young children. When you get right down to it, the entire plot concerns the delivery of one package. That's hardly a story to excite the senses. There's plenty of colorful, eye popping visuals, however. It's slick and frantically paced but very little of it engenders any sort of tenderness. All of the hyperactivity actually gave me a headache. Additionally the high caliber British cast (James McAvoy, Hugh Laurie, Jim Broadbent, Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton) have been instructed to shout all of their lines as if that would makes their voice performances funnier. That doesn't work in bad sitcoms and it doesn't work here. It's not all wretched. There's a sexually ambiguous little elf named Bryony who is a peculiar gift-wrapping obsessive. She/He/It is kind of amusing. But as for the rest of it, I found this frantic exercise extremely lacking in Christmas spirit.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

December 20, 2011
When a single gift out of several billion is left behind on Christmas Eve, Santa's affable but bumbling youngest son Arthur takes it on himself to make sure it gets delivered before sunrise. Surprisingly dense and entertaining, juggling lots of well-drawn characters and subplots together with an entirely new, technology-influenced mythology of Santa Claus. Curiously, I saw it with two adults and two kids, and the adults enjoyed it much more than the youngsters.
Liam G

December 20, 2011
It may not be saying too much, but ''Arthur Christmas'' is my Christmas film since ''Elf''. If there was one animation studio that could pull of a creative, funny and heartfelt Christmas film, it was Aardman and they proved why with this film. The voice acting is great, with James McAvoy, Bill Nighy, Hugh Laurie and Jim Broadbent all perfectly fitting their roles. The animation is, as expected, wonderful. But what I love about ''Arthur Christmas'' is that it is a proper family film. It's not a KIDS film. There is enough wit, heart and a well-developed depiction of a dysfunctional family to keep adults entertained, as well as the funny jokes and the way the film captures Christmas for the children. It's not been the strongest year for animation, but ''Arthur Christmas'' definitely stands out and establishes itself as a soon to be a, though probably underrated, Christmas classic.
Everett J

December 19, 2011
"Arthur Christmas" definitely scores points on originality. Taking a generic story, freshening it up, and adding enough mix of wit and charm to feel new. Arthur(James McAvoy) is the son of Santa(Jim Broadbent), and always means well but he is the misfit of the family and the joke of the North Pole. When Christmas Eve comes to an end it is discovered that one child was skipped and didn't receive their toy. Arthur then sets out on a mission to get the toy to the child before they wake up so no child is left behind on Christmas. The voice cast is perfect, as the English accents really help the movie. Bill Nighy is the funniest as Grand Santa, and provides the bulk of laughs in the middle of the movie. The best thing about the movie are all the effects of the elves(especially in night vision) working in like a military operation to have Christmas be a success. Very fun movie, the kids will enjoy. Adults will find it to be funny and run a little long, but it's just good ole fashion Christmas fun.
Tom M

October 30, 2011
I really loved the direction this film took to a christmas movie. It steered away from the hackneyed "Christmas is about being together" moral and instead went to the slightly less hackneyed "be a good person, not just a person who does good" moral. It was refreshing to see this in a christmas film, and it worked really well. I also REALLY enjoyed the lack of magic in this film. It steered away from the stupidity of Santa using inexplicable magic to fly around the world and instead gave him a (really freakin cool looking) UFO called the S-1, "fairy dust" was actually a mix of various chemicals and whatnot that reacted with the reindeer to make them fly, etc. That world is far more fun to explore instead of this world where we have to buy magic, its more fun to buy fake technology. The animation was really beautiful as well. Wonderful shots of the northern lights, great shots of the icy north pole and ariel shots around the world. This is definitely one for the kids, but i think parents will have just as much fun. It's really adorable, and even gets a bit emotional.
KJ P

November 14, 2011
This near perfect holiday film brings together a new take on how to deliver the gifts on Christmas Eve. Santa is played off as the fat man that he truly is, not doing anything, as technology has taken over and all the elves are now delivering the gifts in a timely fashion. The way it is done make it seem very realistic, and if it weren't for the end, the whole history of Santa would have been abolished, but all around, this family christmas film is a soon-to-be classic! A child has been missed and it is up to Arthur to save the day, seeing as Santa and his older son do not seem to care about the fact that they missed one child out of the hundreds of millions. This journey is well worth the 3D ticket pricing and the voice acting is phenomenal. "Arthur Christmas" (in my opinion) is one of the best animated holiday films of the decade. This film has amazingly crafted family fun written all over it!
Dann M

November 30, 2011
Arthur Christmas is a surprisingly good film that's charming and fun. On its surface it seems as if we've been there and done that in other films; such as Fred Claus and Elf. But Arthur Christmas puts some new twists on familiar themes, and gives a new and interesting perspective on the Santa Claus mythology. The CG animation is also especially well-done, and the 3D is amazing (giving true depth and feel to the scenes). Arthur Christmas is a fun, clever film that can be enjoyed by all ages and will undoubtedly become a Christmas classic.
Bradley W

December 18, 2011
John B

November 24, 2011
Arthur Christmas is the first new film that I think fits nicely into the traditional Christmas canon along with the claymation things that we love so much. The Polar Express was close but I think their use of the creepy Santa didn't help. The story is charming and unique.
Bradley T. Johnson
Bradley T. Johnson

December 21, 2011
A delightful festive treat with something for everyone. Aardman does it again; Arthur Christmas is fun, bright, and humorous with great voice-acting from the cast. It also has one very emotional moment at the end that might make you choke up in the throat. A vibrant and fast paced film that might make an appearance every holiday season. Overall Rating: 88