• R, 1 hr. 40 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Article 99 Reviews

Lee K

June 8, 2009
Wasnt bad, I thought it would be alot better considering the cast. Loved when Keifer donned the floppy hat as his father did in M.A.S.H
Audrey L

March 31, 2008
A very entertaining film about the innovative means by which doctors in a veterans hospital try and actually help the patients,while being thwarted by bureaucratic red tape at every turn.
Jason R

December 24, 2007
If you haven't seen this movie then I recommend it, kinda like a modern day M*A*S*H, but instead of a far off distant country the war is right here at home, as a group of doctors have to break every rule in the book to defeat a corrupt system and get America's war veterans the treatment they deserve.
1HotGrandma
October 8, 2008
Though an olderr movie, sadly it still reflects the inadequate care our Vets still recieve today in our VA Hospitals today.
Ida K

January 13, 2008
I was an army brat so I appreciated this movie since the goverment *does* work this way. However, I also work in a hospital and I realize there are rules for a reason. This movie was very idealistic and I can't believe no one got locked up for some of the stunts they pulled.
August 12, 2014
really enjoy this movie, have seen it several times.
February 8, 2014
Article 99 (Howard Deutch, 1991)
[originally posted 18Jun2001]

Here's an interesting concept. Take a director whose career is rapidly fading, give him a star whose career is rapidly fading, and stock his film with rising stars. Think you can come up with a saleable product?

You can if you're Howard Deutch (Pretty in Pink) and Kiefer Sutherland (The Lost Boys). Article 99 was the last good film Sutherland made before the dry spell that ended with Dark City; Deutch is still looking for a comeback film. Sutherland is surrounded by then-rising stars who have since become household names, including Ray Liotta (fresh off the success of Goodfellas), Kathy Baker (a year before Picket Fences), Keith David (still best known for playing Childs in Carpenter's 1982 remake of The Thing), and Lynne Thigpen (who, come to think of it, still hasn't gotten the recognition she deserves). Put the lot of them in a VA hospital, as (all except David, who plays a sociopathic-but-likable Vietnam vet) they try to cut through all the red tape and just do their jobs, while the hospital's administrator (John Mahoney, now known as Frasier's dad) tries to hamstring them at every turn. It doesn't sound like a recipe for the kind of comedy Deutch is used to directing, but somehow it all works, with the doctors and the administration battling it out until things go just one step too far, as they usually do in movies. And it still could have fallen flat on its face if not for the very last scene, as the end credits begin rolling. It's a feel-good movie that doesn't allow you to feel good. Now THAT'S an accomplishment. *** 1/2
August 7, 2013
Wants to be sassy while indicting the terrible state of VA hospitals. Comes off as preachy and pandering.
June 30, 2013
As a Gulf War Veteran who has tolerated enough crap from the Department of Veteran Affairs to last me five life times this movie nails the subject between the ears as it should be addressed. Those civilians who have never had to go through the most insane level of bullshit known to mankind have not a clue what the Veteran community tolerates as it pertains to acquiring services due the sacrifices we have made.

This movie clearly represents the obfuscation, misinformation, lies, denial of services, and the withholding of information that those in charge of the VA tell the practitioners along with other employees to do. Very few times in life are there men and women who see all of the information, see the connections, see the injustice, only to take a step forward to put those in charge on their butt. These rare and rather heroic people stand up against the corruption as those who get the job done. Should you doubt what I am saying visit any VA Medical Center or federal office building where claims are filed in order to speak first hand to those who are in the middle of fighting for necessary services. Furthermore maybe, just maybe you can elaborate on why this movie was released in the shortest time frame only to be rushed through the country as quick as possible. As we certainly do not want to show "Any" government entity in a bad light...

May God have mercy on the souls of those who delay, deny, and expect us to die as I along with many others shall have no mercy and give no quarter to such rats.
January 25, 2013
This film is a very insistent reminder of what we owe to the men and women who fought our country's battles, laying their lives on the line for us all for very little pay. The very least we owe them is what they were promised--that their country would take care of their health. I thought this film was well acted and made a very important point, one that needs to be reiterated again and again.
April 19, 2012
Movie has it's heart in the right place, but the execution is sort of all over the place. Star studded cast.
December 6, 2011
Great movie, although it does get a little far left for me. Still, with Kiefer Sutherland and Ray Liotta, even if you don't want the preaching, you can still hit mute and have a great movie!