Asylum (House of Crazies) Reviews

½ August 28, 2013
The young psychiatrist is supposed to figure out which of the patients was the doctor who went mad so he could get the job, actually. The whole time I was certain I knew who it was too, but I was wrong. I love when a movie surprises me like that. This is also an anthology horror, though. The stories were all really eerie, although only one was gory. I really enjoyed this movie, and recommend it.
ScoopOnline
February 3, 2011
Not bad to watch it once.
flixsterman
January 25, 2009
A new doctor arrives at an institution for the incurably insane and sets about the task of identifying which of the inmates is the hospital's former administrator. Along the way we're treated to four episodic tales of horror. A mistress who's lover chopped his wife up in separate pieces and stored her in a freezer. A tailor who is contracted to construct a suit that will raise the dead. A disturbed woman tormented by her beautiful but murderous 'best friend'. And finally a man of medicine who is convinced he can transfer the souls of men in to the tiny toy robots that he himself constructs.

For low budget English horror this really isn't bad stuff. If you're a fan of such films as Tales of Terror and Creepshow then this might be right up your alley.
August 11, 2007
A real treat of four haunting stories, told by patients at a mental hospital. The visiting psychiatrist must deduce from the stories, which of the patients was a former doctor. Each story was creepy and stylish. There are some nice twists along the way. A classic anthology of British horror.
Ryan M
½ March 27, 2012
*** out of ****

It's come to my attention that horror anthologies were quite popular in the decade of the 1970's. I've seen gems like Mario Bava's "Black Sabbath", and I'm well-aware that there are a few that I still have yet to check out, but I had heard of a lesser-known entry titled "Asylum". Under the direction of Roy Ward (pun intended?) Baker, I was confident that it had to be something at least genuinely interesting; so I popped it in, gave it a chance, and sure enough it was. It's the kind of flick that a lot of people probably won't see, but I hope that someday it finds its audience, because it's a near perfect movie for a dark night alone in the house; but then again, it is such moments that I (and horror cinema) live for. As an overall film, I must confess that it is, in fact, far from perfect; but each piece of the puzzle fits to create a satisfying conclusion. It's not one of those messy, illogical anthologies in which there are a few good segments that lead to nothing at the end of the road; the segments do indeed differ in quality (but then again, when do they not?), but they are all engaging in their own special way. Long story short, it's hard to believe that you'll ever find yourself dozing off.

A man named Martin (Robert Powell) approaches a large, beautifully-realized asylum located somewhere seemingly in the middle of nowhere. He immediately meets with the head of the ward, and it's in this meeting that we learn all that we need to know about Dr. Martin's character. He is trying to score a job at the institution - which is deemed exclusively for the incurable psychiatric patients - and the head of the building tells him that to even land the slightest chance at getting the job, he must fulfill a task; pass a series of psychological and mentally stimulating tests. You see, the former owner of the institution has recently become a patient; although Martin, being new to the area, doesn't know which one of them he or she may be. Therefore, the test is simple: out of four selected patients, he must choose only one - the one that he thinks is the newly-committed former doctor. After listening to their story of how they ended up in the building, he may decide.

The first story is that of a once very beautiful young woman who was having an affair with a married man. Together, they both conspired to murder the man's current wife; who had been suspicious of the affair to begin with. When she comes home from work, the husband cuts her up limb-by-limb with an axe, and proceeds to hide her remains in a freezer deep in the cellar. However, when the other woman arrives, he's nowhere to be found; and so she goes searching for him in the basement where the body lies, only to discover that it remains there no more. A prolific scene involves the decapitated head of the wife; which appears on the DVD cover and official posters.

The second story is about a tailor who - on the knife's edge of bankruptcy and poverty - accepts a job from a mysterious man who gives him a special cloth that - unbeknownst to the tailor - has the ability to wake the dead or any other inanimate object that dons the fabrics. The third piece of the story is about a woman who is released from the asylum at the center of the story, only to return home to a sense of undeniable unease. A friend comes to visit, and things just get weirder and weirder from there. The fourth and final story is an interview with a patient who likes to make mechanical mannequins of himself, claiming to have the ability to control their physical actions.

As you can probably tell, it's just a simple film about four short tales of the mad and the macabre. But as a huge horror fan, I can appreciate that; and since nothing about it felt terribly familiar, I'll say that I had a good time watching it. No, it's not a genre classic; but I see no reason for its obscurity. With beautiful camerawork, terrific atmosphere, and a dark sense of fascination; I'm not all that sure whether "Asylum" will make you lose your head, like the posters suggest, but while it lasts; it's kind of hard not to have a little fun with it. It boasts an impressive and talented cast - which includes Charlotte Rampling, Britt Ekland (of "The Wicker Man" fame), and the ridiculously creepy Peter Cushing - and it's got a skilled director at the helm. All works out well, even if the final product is flawed and not particularly memorable. Still, I'd gladly watch it again. It's a good, solid, creepy, scary, tense movie; and it bears the necessary qualities of what I call a satisfying horror film. It won't keep you up at night, but it'll still give you some nice chills. Now, mind your head.
June 13, 2008
Classic 70's horror.
October 11, 2010
A typically mixed bag of horror in this anthology from Amicus, it's got some great sets and an unnerving feel, but for whatever reason it manages to end on the weakest of the three storylines, aside from the stinger involved in the wraparound tale.

Worth a rental, but nothing too special.
½ October 31, 2007
Another cool collection from Amicus. The first story is so dang disturbing, I'm surprised this film isn't better known.
½ June 24, 2013
One can never get enough of the old British classic horror movies.

With Asylum you are not disappointed. With a series of short stories centred around a group of people locked away in an asylum. Dr Martin (Robert Powell) pays a visit to the asylum and ends up meeting each of the patients, each with their own story to tell.

Each story presented within the movie is unique and you can see how they may have influenced later films such as puppet master.

The cinematography was creepy in some areas providing that typical British Gothic element which Hammer produced so well.

I would highly recommend this movie for it's atmospheric, musical and directorial work. A great movie with the lights out on a late Friday night. After all, you can never beat a great traditional British Horror Movie from the 70's.
Ryan M
½ March 27, 2012
*** out of ****

February 18, 2012
A creepy 1970's horror anthology film written by Robert Bloch (author of Psycho) and directed by British TV and film veteran Roy Ward Baker ("A Night to Remember", the TV show "The Avengers"), "Asylum" rises and falls on the strength of its individual segments. Luckily, most of the segments are pretty strong and while the film might lack the over-the-top lurid edge of current horror movies, it's got just the right mixture of cheese, gore and Hammer-like scary moments.

Released by Hammer Studios rival Amicus, the film holds up pretty well due to the performances of a strong cast (including Robert Powell who later starred in "Jesus of Nazareth" in the title role), horror veteran Peter Cushing, Barry Morse (the original "The Fugitive", "Space: 1999"), Herbert Lom ("The Pink Panther"), Charlolette Rambling, Britt Ekland and Patrick Magee ("A Clockwork Orange", "Barry Lyndon"). All films are a products of their era and reflect the tastes, values and limitations of their time but, taking all this into account, "Asylum" holds up remarkably well.

The DVD release from Dark Sky Films includes a commentary track, featurette on Amicus as well as other assorted extras. Recommended.
October 29, 2011
Pretty goofy and very tame...Cushing was barely even in it! It was mostly interesting to see a young Charlotte Rampling playing crazy.
August 2, 2011
The wraparound story of a doctor asked to interview patients in an asylum is really clever and ties all of the individual stories together nicely. Speaking of the stories, I really enjoyed the opening sequence, "Frozen Fear", about a man who thinks he can get rid of his wife. As silly as it all looks, the effects are actually well done. It's mostly bloodless but the drawn out revenge sequence builds some neat suspense.
The second story is "The Weird Tailor" which I enjoyed more when "Thriller" adapted it. Barry Morse was good as the tailor but I thought "Thriller" emphasized the strain on his wife better, which made for a more impacting final scene. Even Peter Cushing didn't make it much more interesting. "Lucy Comes To Stay" with Britt Eklund is mostly boring. I didn't see the ending coming though, which saved the tale for me a bit. Eklund was entertaining in her brief appearance.
The final story was short but exceedingly fun. Herbert Lom just kills in "Mannikins of Horror" about a doctor and some dolls. This story is different in that it ties into the wraparound story and is not a flashback like the other segments are. I don't want to give it away but Lom's portrayal of the Doctor is intense and the facial expression of his doll is a little disturbing.
½ October 19, 2010
Amicus horror anthology,with stories written by Robert Bloch (Psycho).Well made,good acting,and an iconic score.