At the Earth's Core - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

At the Earth's Core Reviews

June 1, 2013
Made by Amicus Productions and often confused with Hammer Horror films. Easy to see why seeing as both companies used the same legendary stars, they both made various horror films although Hammer was more traditional mythical fables, and of course all the films shared very familiar visual styles.

This British classic really does look every bit like a Hammer horror. The start of the film shows Cushing and McClure in their dapper Victorian suits, sitting within their huge drilling machine which is decked out like 'Sherlock Holmes' study, you half expect Chris Lee to flutter in through a port hole (I do love that drilling machine model though).

All American star Doug McClure plays the slightly brash yet tough heroic half of the lead duo, while the eminent distinguished Peter Cushing gives up his usual sinister roles for the fumbling yet likeable good doctor. Together the pair work well off each other and do give an early blockbuster-like chemistry that you see in most modern day flicks. Of course its all very quaint, charming and hammy, tongue planted firmly in cheek...and that's just Cushing's adorable little performance.

The film kicks off with a blast as the duo commence drilling deep into the earth, it all feels very much like 'The Time Machine'. No sooner have we got through the silliness of actually getting to the Earth's core the pair are attacked by huge rubber monsters much akin to 'Godzilla's' well known 'men in suits' style. Yes it all looks incredibly tacky and pantomime-ish but remember in its day this was equivalent to a Michael Bay flick.

The general appearance of the Earth's core is pretty much your standard 'The Land That Time Forgot' type fantasy jungle with huge plants, vines, trees, primitive humanoids, sexy scantily clad females and various man eating beasties all shrouded in an eerie pink glow. It may all look terribly plastic and fake but again remember this was way before CGI so everything is real, which is pleasing to the eye, well if you ignore the horrendous blue screen live action/creature sequences.

The plot makes no real sense frankly, its all very stupid and revolves around some big rubber prehistoric eagle looking creatures that rule this interior world by controlling little 'Jawa' type humanoids with telepathy. They enslave other regular looking humans (all black folk with daft wigs it seems, apart from the sexy women) that live in a nearby village for some reason (some kind of mining or something), and...errr I don't really know. Not sure why these creatures do this, why the little 'Jawa' men obey them, why they like to sacrifice sexy big breasted women (do they eat them? is that what happened there??), why/how the big bird-like creatures are so telepathically powerful many plot holes you give up.

You must look past the crappy plot and its massive inconsistencies, its all about the big cool rubber monsters running amok (could of done with more), Cushing's unbelievably corny stereotypically polite British gentlemanly performance, McClure's ruffled hair and of course Caroline Munro's tanned body.

The story starts off really well but does lack severely throughout the middle as the plot goes down the toilet. You're not sure what's going on, why and if there's any point to any of it, end of the day all you know is the goodies have got to kill those big prehistoric bird things...for some reason. McClure looks buff, Cushing looked so damn thin and fragile it worried me, whilst Munro was clearly made up to try and copy the success of Raquel Welch's famous fantasy character.

Anyone notice that the screeching sound effects used for the big prehistoric bird things was reused in 'Krull' for 'Slayers', when they got killed.
February 3, 2009
All the appeal of a Saturday morning kid's show. God bless Peter Cushing for being the one bright spot in this otherwise forgettable film.
½ August 15, 2009
I remember watching this movie a few years ago after my granny told me that she was gonna watch it and that I should. I did and I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't the best of its kind that I have ever saw, but it was pretty good. An inventor and his sidekick go on a journey to the center of the earth in a huge drilling machine. Once they get there, they don't discover lava or fire, they discover a lost world and a prehistoric tribe. They get held hostage and from that point on is when At The Earth's Core turns into a good movie. It'll keep you in suspense wondering how they're gonna escape and go back to the surface.
If you like one of a kind adventures like this movie, I would definitely recommend getting At The Earth's Core. The only drawbacks I could see was that it was a little bit boring at the beginning, but it gets better all along. The special effects also weren't the best ever seen, but then again it what do you expect of a movie that came out back in the mid 70's?

One more thing, most of the time I don't remember a movie all that great after just watching it once. But it's been about 2 years since I saw At The Earth's Core and I still remember most of it. It'll stick with you. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I haven't seen this movie since then so not sure what I'd think, but I do remember parts of it and it was real neat.
February 4, 2009
This movie followed most of the other center of the earth movies, but its not all that bad, children would enjoy, also an adult with nothing else to do like myself. This came in a dual pack from MGM Midnite Movies. It took me a while to figure out that Peter Cushing was Dr. Abner Perry as it appeared he lost a lot of weight from my memory of him. The beautiful girl was Caroline Munro who played Princess Dia, This movie was filmed in 1976, little did we know then that a Real Princess Diana would come along. Movie was filled with flying creatures in rubber suites, men who were the slaves of the rubber suited creatures and they reminded me of the plant of the apes early years. Our hero Doug McClure fights off monsters, fire lava, bad guys, wicked looking bird beaked monsters and in the end loses Princess Dia as she wants to stay in her world and not travel to his, myself I would have told the Doctor to go home without me as long as little Princess Dia agreed to cook and clean the cave. Modern day Sci-Fi Buffs would have a hard time enjoying this one, but if your in to the ole school Sci-Fi and Fantasy then Give it a try. Its not the worst film out there so 3 stars and its in my collection
March 10, 2007
Hi! I'm Doug McClure. You may remember me from such films as...every film he made is hilarious rubbish, and this is no exception. Entertainingly awful!
February 25, 2015
The first five minutes are brilliant...then it's best to switch it off and imagine what happens next.
March 19, 2011
An entertaining, sci-fi/adventure film, about two scientists who find themselves in an alterior world while exploring the center of earth. The special effects are extremely campy, but are sufficient for this films needs. On this alternatre world at the center of the earth there are still dinosaur(ish) like beings and humans are slaves to a weird race, who's main power source is a telkinetic relationship with rubber flying lizard birds. It is up to our two heroes to liberate mankind from this oppressive regime. This isn't a great film by any means, but it is an entertaining hour and went minutes. There ar laughs and thrills to be had. I don't get people who watch what is obviously a b-movie and complain about the special effects or the campy acting. Aren't those the main reasons to watch this kind of movie?
September 2, 2009
Fantastic saturday morning romp through the earths core to....well somewhere else really. Great classic and really enjoyable.
½ April 3, 2008
Brings back warm childhood memories.
November 20, 2009
I always liked Peter Cushing but never thought he could be such a terrible actor. This whole movie, in general, is one big let down, but what the heck, it's funny and it'll bring back childhood memories. I loved how terribly ridiculous it was, the giant parrot lords (Mahars), and the very clean and English speaking Wing People... what if the Innes and Dr. Perry had been Scmidt and Dr. Von Braun from Germany, would the Wing People speak German then? oh, well...
Caroline Munro is true eye-candy.
February 26, 2012
This one has it all! Peter Cushing as an umbrella carrying english professor who builds a massive iron drill that burrows into the earth. Doug McClure plays the spunky American David who disses the girl and then wins her back. All the time they battle men in monster suits and slave driving Ugnaught looking creatures that spoke in keyboard feedback. Plus hot lava and Caroline Munro in a very skimpy outfit! The plot involves a lot of walking. First our heroes are captured and marched to the underground city where these telepathic flying dinosaurs make mincemeat out of maiden fairs. Then there is a lot of tunnel walking back and forth as David escapes, reenters, escapes and then attacks and then escapes in those same tunnels. The fighting is all protective of the latex makeup and prosthetic masks. And the music is a hold over from the Quartermass era of British science fiction. Personally, I loved it. Especially the giant lizard that David has to stab in the ear to kill. That thing was awesome!
½ June 12, 2010
Book 'em Danno...Don't pass go and don't collect $200, just got straight to jail for this crime of a movie."
February 25, 2010
Typical of this era as far as Over the top characters, boistrous personalities. And the special effects, heavy use of miniaturs. The first scenes are perfect examples...the background is obvious.

I like the use of tv monitors for viewing outside (instead of windows...something nasa and subs should do, glass isn't a good idea for obvious reasons) but the lamps inside the ship LOL total opposite!

Anyway it's actually not that bad of a movie. If it comes on tv give it a watch.
July 6, 2007
This time, Doug McClure teams up with an absent minded Peter Cushing to tackle a flock of psychic pterodactyls terrorizing a bunch of primitive humans! Neat -O!
½ August 29, 2014
Here's David and Ms. Lovely Lady

A scientist set in classic times and his friend try out a new drilling machine the scientist created. The machine drills into the Earth's core and they find a strange civilization with creatures they have never seen. The friend falls in love with a tribal girl they encounter and she helps them survive the rugged terrain. How will the scientist, friend, and Lovely Lady survive their journey inside Earth?

"I'm at the controls and you must keep a clear head too!"

Kevin Connor, director of The Land that Time Forgot (1975), Motel Hell, Frankenstein (2004), Strawberry Summer, Chasing Leprechauns, Sweet Surrender, and The Thanksgiving House, delivers At the Earth's Core. The storyline for this picture is very average with an obvious Journey to the Center of the Earth feel. The acting may be better than you anticipate and the cast includes Peter Cushing, Doug McClure, Caroline Munro, and Bobby Parr.

"After what we've seen they've got to be destroyed."

I grabbed this off Netflix when I discovered it starred Peter Cushing (one of my favorites from the horror genre). Overall, this is a pretty average movie with some cool science fiction elements. This is far from as good as the Harryhausen classics, but this is still fun to watch the different creatures. This is worth seeing once but far from a classic.

"This is my fight."

Grade: C
½ February 24, 2014
This is brilliant Sunday afternoon TV when nothing else is on. A cross between the Land that Time Forgot and Journey to the Centre of the Earth its full of 70s afro cuts, the worst special effects and a barrel load of prehistoric nonsense. I haven't laughed so much since Nazis at the Centre of the Earth. Truly appalling and a must see.
January 26, 2014
It's slow and silly, and doesn't have much of a plot, but it is fun. The monsters are cheesy, the sci-fi is great, and the cast is good. The story is a bit loose and confusing, and nothing really gets explained. Overall, it's a entertaining campy monster movie.
½ July 29, 2009
The Cush and Doug McClure travel to the core in a drill and stumble upon Caroline Munro's heaving bosom.
½ November 29, 2012

"Sir, we've been on top of the Earth long enough, it's time we find out what's underneath"-David Innes (Doug McClure)

Throwback camp of the highest order.

"Your act of civilary, wasn't very popular."-Dr. Abner Perry(Petre Chushing)
½ August 2, 2012
The second of Burroughs novels brought to screen by the British as only they can. Well any movie with Caroline Munro in a fur dress has its high points but it pretty much ends there. The flying dinosaurs and creatures do not flap their wings which is funny in itself. Lacks the story and setting from the book and is not as well done as The Land the Time Forgot.