64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

71% Dallas: Season 3
62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Atlantic Rim Reviews

July 11, 2013
The film industry is no stranger when it comes to ripping off major blockbusters. Jaws being the prime example as even to this day many B-movies are still ripping off it plot structure. Atlantic Rim on the other hand is a rip-off in the sense that it ripped off the first trailer for major blockbuster Pacific Rim. Thus creating a film that is empty in entertainment and feels like it was made up on the spot.

Atlantic Rim is about a special team piloting giant robots to combat monsters coming from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. The plot of Atlantic Rim is lifeless. The plot eliminates all issues it present without any reward. Whenever a problem is presented a line of dialogue will eliminate any weight the issue had. Like one of the pilot losing power in her robot is not exciting since according to the scientist "They were never in any real danger" or a pilot best friend dating a girl they both knew for a long time as it's "Water under the bridge" after the announcement. With no conflict or obstacle to overcome there is no sense of accomplishment or progression where our heroes begin to where they end up. The dialogue is unintentionally hilarious. One example being a generic eye-patched villain talking to his commanding officer on the possible apocalypse of a monster takeover to reveal they are only two eggs in the ocean. Despite it short running time of an hour and twenty six minutes it has filler. The filler material is only here to make somewhat use of one pilot who has little purpose in the film and what he does contribute (like saving a stranger little girl just because he asked) has no correlation to the main plot nor development.

In terms of any real logic this film has none. Now why would I complain about logic in a film that has giant robots battling monsters? Well for starter in the film climax the heroes forget that a submarine has launched a second nuclear missile to New York and happily ends with our heroes not disarming it. Did anyone even bother to read the script! Not only that, but the robot suits don't have any kind of interesting origin for their creation. It was just another vehicle created by the government without us obtaining the knowledge of how they work. Heck, even the pedestrians that see the giant robots prefer to record a video instead of running in fear. The pedestrians won't even run when a giant monster is heading their way either. The government and their employee are idiots. The "scientists" of the film created a hand-band like device that would connect to your central nervous system to the robot suit to control with body motion yet the heroes are surprised when their robot get hit they feel the pain too. Made even more laughable by the fact the "scientists"explained this earlier yet are still shock when it occurred. Not only that, but apparently the only training you need to do to pilot a robot is learn to do a basic punch forward and elbow thrusts.

The acting is all around bad. The cast don't even bother putting effort into their roles. With a couple of exception in certain scenes for unintended comedy. Especially from Graham Greene who face remains unmoved by just about anything even when he shot in the arm. The CG is unconvincing. The plastic look of the robot is not much of a problem when it's clearly a quick and cheap rip off, but what can't be tolerated is lazy animation. The animation is copy and pasted from earlier scenes or an earlier performed action several times. The robot all look the same with a different color palette. As for the monsters of the film it's the same designed reused three time. The direction is depress to the extreme. Going as far as adding slow motion for a guy hitting a door with a hammer for dramatic effect. Also you'll never get a clear sense of the environment as you'll be confused exactly where you're going.

Atlantic Rim is a cheap mockbuster and nothing more. It aspires to do very little and what it does is forgettable. It does have a few meagre amusement from some idiotic plot moments, but those are not enough to make it worth a viewing.
August 3, 2013
I haven't seen Pacific Rim, the source of this rip-off, but I did see Cloverfield, to which this has been compared. Let me tell you that's unfair. This movie makes Cloverfield look like King Lear!
pulcino p.
March 29, 2014
The acting is absolutely terrible! The cast is a bunch of nobodies with no talent whatsover.
March 1, 2014
What a horrible piece of shit. I recommend everyone check it out.
December 9, 2013
worst movie ever made, looks cheap, prefer pacific rim
November 17, 2013
Simply a ripoff of the pacific rim! crap!
November 3, 2013
One of the worst sci-fi action films I have ever had to sit through. Bad script, bad plot, bad acting, bad directing, bad sets, bad costumes, and not even a very good monster. Your time would be better spent rewatching Cloverfield, or any version and vintage of Godzilla movies.
September 12, 2013
Terrible screenplay and acting defeat moderately good sound and camera work.

The film opens to a spill on an oil rig.
Three untested giant robots are sent to find it. Drunken incompetence results in a lot of collateral damage before an early success over one of the monsters.
The 'hero' gets both lionized and jailed. Nice.
After the first incident, another monster emerges. The robot pilot who was so dedicated to assisting the cleanup is shown playing checkers with his fellow pilot.
The second monster is bombed by one of our stealth aircraft; no one seems to notice that the monster slithers away alive and unharmed.
Gratuitous jiggling and drinking. Florida does not really resemble Manhatten Island that much.
Worst piece of all: the use of giant melee weapons by the giant robots where much more powerful ordinance failed before.
Cinematography: 8/10

Sound: 8/10 OK.

Acting: 0/10 Uniformly bad. This was undoubtedly the worst performance by Grahame Green that I've ever seen. There's a big disconnect between what the actors say and what's supposed to be going on, such as, 'maybe we hit a wreck' -- when the speaker is on a stationary oil rig.

Screenplay: 0/10 Mardi gras in Florida. Interesting, unexpected. 'The pressure is increasing exponentially.' Exponentially is not what it used to be; the issue vanishes two seconds later with no explanation. Which character(s) am I supposed to care about? Unknown. Which plot thread is supposed to be engaging? None of them are. Generally incompetent dialog. Needless romantic triangle that was barely explored.

Special Effects: 7/10 Varies between competent (dinosaurs) and amateurish (fake explosions, loss of the aircraft carrier Wasp).
August 11, 2013
Nowhere as good as Pacific Rim, though it might carry a few laughs at just how bad it gets. The story is slow, bland, and thin. The acting stinks, and the characters are awful. The CGI is somewhat decent for a movie of this sort, though some of the fights are pretty lack luster. All in all, it's pretty much what you would expect it to be. An Asylum mockbuster.
August 4, 2013
Not bad, for a garbage Asylum film.
July 15, 2013
Absolute trash! Bad acting, rotten script, lousy dialog, so appalling it can only be watched for the entertainment value of how truly bad it is.
July 15, 2013
So deliciously cheezy! The acting was pretty meh, but the characters were so overboard with stereotypes it was amusing. I think I liked the sets the most, reminded me of like 1950's sci-fi. Since I went in expecting a mockbuster, and a mockbuster is what I got, I feel my rating is appropriate :)
July 14, 2013
If there were a billion points, this movie would get zero. I pity the actors in this movie, and curse the writers. I recommend it for a laugh, but watch it for free, either on TV, or pirate it. I found it on the Space channel.
July 12, 2013
There was a dude with an eye patch

July 11, 2013

Jeffrey L.
July 10, 2013
The Asylum is one of my favorite low budget production companies. I had really high hopes for their line up of movies this year, especially after watching Age of Dinosaurs which I felt was their all-time best movie to date and can't gush about it enough. But then 100 Degrees Below Zero came around and I have to be honest in saying I really really did not care for that one much, and even though I had been anticipating AE: Apocalypse Earth quite a bit, that one too fell a bit short of expectations.

Which brings me to Atlantic Rim, Asylum's upcoming mockbuster of Guillermo Del Toro's upcoming CGI slugfest Pacific Rim (admittedly, I believe Asylum is changing the name of their Atlantic Rim to Attack From Beneath, to avoid the usual legal troubles they find themselves in these days with their mockbusters). This was another one I've been highly anticipating, based off just the amazing trailer alone, and the one Asylum movie in the last few months I feel could potentially be just as good as Age of Dinosaurs.

With this one, well, you can pretty much guess what the plot is just based off what movie it's mockbusting - giant monsters appear from under the ocean and the U.S. Military employs some giant robots piloted by trained solders to combat them as they come out of the ocean and start attacking cities. Now, what struck me almost right off the bat as a nice change of pace from the usual Asylum fare, was that this one had a rather large ensemble cast. Normally if we get four or five main main characters in one of these things, that's a good day, but in this one we have quite a few: Most notably we have the well-known rapper Treach playing as one of the Mech pilots. Alongside him we also have David Chokachi (from tons of SyFy Channel Original Movies and other Asylum flicks) as the leader of the Mech pilots and kind of a loose cannon, always getting himself in trouble with his superiors and kind of doing whatever he wants. He actually sort of reminded me a bit of a mix between Bug Hall from Arachnoquake and Robert Downey Jr. in his Iron Man role (for multiple reasons, one of which I'm sure anyone who has seen The Avengers will be able to pick up on during the climatic fight). Jackie Moore, who was also in another Asylum flick, the found footage horror movie 100 Ghost Street: The Return of Richard Speck, plays his girlfriend that's also in the military alongside him and is the third of the Mech piloting trio. Her role, and the way she portrayed it, actually reminded me quite a bit of Katee Sackhoff from Battlestar Galactica - only thing missing was a scene of her smoking a cigar and beating up a superior officer, hahaha. All three of these people also had excellent on-screen chemistry with one another and you never doubt even once that these three are all best buds with one another.

Other then the Mech pilots themselves, there is also the always-entertaining Graham Green ( Jacob's father in the Twilight movies and one of John McClane's fellow cop co-workers in Die Hard with a Vengeance) and in this movie he plays the role of the leading Admiral in charge of everything and was, simply put, a total joy to watch. While everyone did excellent with their roles and the acting from everyone was pretty much above-average for what you would expect from an Asylum movie, it was Graham Green that had most of the best lines; it was always hilarious seeing him chew out his subordinates and having them have to reply simply with 'Yes sir'. Hell, every other line from his mouth was hilarious, especially with his total straight-faced delivery, and he owned every scene he was in, chewing the scenery and spitting it back out like it was stale tobacco. Sharing some of the screen time with him was also Nicole Alexandra Shipley (from Asylum's semi-recent 12/12/12) as one of the main computer techs that works in direct relation with the Mech pilots, and Nicole Dickson in her first acting role playing the part of a NASA scientist that works with the Admiral on the new Mech project (Actually, its called Project Armada in the movie, but for the sake of the review I'll just be referring to it as the Mech project). She was probably the weakest in the movie in terms of acting, but she was surprisingly still not too bad considering it was her first role ever. That about covers it for the main characters - like I said, a much larger cast then usual, plus there are also still quite a few smaller roles throughout, such as one played by regular Asylum director (including of this movie) Jared Cohn as a fighter jet pilot that leads a squadron of jets against the giant monster during one of the earlier action scenes when the monster first makes its appearance while it crawls out of the ocean and proceeds to wreck havoc on a city.

And wreck havoc it does! Quite a bit! Actually, between monster attacks on various cities, occasional mechanical issues with the giant Mechs, and of course the action-packed Mech vs Monster fights, there is pretty much almost always something good going on, action-wise, and when we do get a few minutes of downtime it's wisely used to help establish the characters with some good characterization moments, and then it's never too long before we're thrusted back into some awesome action stuff again. As a matter of fact, I was quite surprised with just how realistic some of the characterization and character-specific beats were such as one scene where, after first finding out about and fighting a monster, David Chokachi's character, when face to face with his friends again, excitably relayed what happened during the fight just like a little boy would when talking about the newest episode of whatever show he and his friends are into. Personally, For Little Jeffrey back in the day, that would have probably been either Gargoyles or Power Rangers.

And speaking of Power Rangers, another thing I loved about this movie is that for a couple scenes after the main Mech trio fought off a giant monster, they get out of their giant robot suits and go through areas of the partially destroyed city to help those trapped or injured in the rubble caused by their fight, and the character played by Treach goes off to help the Red Cross out with fixing up people badly injured and all the other stuff they then have to deal with... which is something the Power Rangers never once did, that I can recall. With them, they fought off a monster and then always left right away to celebrate, thus leaving the city officials on their own to deal with half their city being destroyed (and on a regular basis, at that) - for shame, Power Rangers, for shame!

Actually, I mention Power Rangers in this review quite a bit because I was reminded of the show pretty often throughout the movie. Hell, each Mech had lights on the outside of them, as well as interior lighting in the cockpits, that were all a certain specific color to each Mech; One was Red-themed, one was Blue-themed, and the third was Green-themed, and to add on top of that each one had its own unique Mech-specific power weapon! With those color designations, combined with special power weapons, matched up with giant monster-fighting robots, I was actually expecting some Power Rangers references at some point, and I have to say I was a a bit sad that we didn't get one. Also, this movie would have been the perfect opportunity for Asylum to bring on an old Power Rangers alum into their ranks, like perhaps Jason David Frank (Tommy from the Mighty Morphin' days). Seriously, how friggin' awesome would it have been to see Jason David Frank, the original Green Ranger, piloting the green-themed Mech in this movie?

But I digress. Kind of went off on a side-tangent there, hahaha. Back to the character stuff: It was nice to get a military leader in one of these movies that's not just all gung-ho about nuking the enemy creature in question and is actually against such a plan. So many times movies like this end with the military guy in charge essentially saying 'screw it' and dropping a nuke on the creature as an easy out, but not here, my friends, not at all! He's not only 100% against such a plan, but he actually has to put in a good effort to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen. As a matter of fact, all the characterization in this movie was more attention to that then Asylum normally gives in their movies and it was all much appreciated. For instance, there was also a little love triangle subplot added in between the three Mech pilots. Seems not only are two of them dating, but the girl had actually cheated on him while drunk a few weeks back, with the other one. It was an interesting subplot that added a bit of tension between the characters for a while, however it ultimately ended up being a bit pointless since it doesn't ever really get resolved at all. They're in the middle of dealing with it when they get the alert that New York City is being attacked by the Mother of all Monsters essentially, and they have to leave to go partake in the big climatic battle, and the movie never returns to that subplot anymore after that. Would have been nice to get some form of conclusion to that, but oh well. Just a minor nitpick.

There's actually a couple of other nitpicks I have with this, that I may as well get out of the way now. The first of which is that I would have liked to see a scene or two of the Mech pilots learning to drive and control their giant undersea Mechs. There is a point later in the movie where their Mechs get an upgrade to their hardware and there is a quick re-training scene of them having to learn how to use this new technology, and I suppose by the point we meet everyone at the beginning of the movie they're already familiar with how to pilot and control these things (after all, the movie can only be so long so they can't really waste time with stuff like that), but it still would have been nice to see, but it's far from a deal breaker. As I said, it's only a minor personal nitpick.

The next issue though is slightly bigger then a nitpick, though again not quite a deal breaker. In the second half of the movie, when the much-larger second monster makes itself known and begins its assault on New York City, we only ever see that one monster yet all the characters keep referring to it as 'them'. Anytime anyone talks about that monster, they keep talking about it as if there are way more then just that one, yet we never once see any of the others, so I'm unsure if there were supposed to be tons of other battles happening across the city but just all off-screen, or if it was some kind of dialog error, or what the deal was but it made the last 20 minutes or so a bit confusing as to what was going on with the monster and if there were more or not.

Over all though, since I liked this one quite a bit, I don't really want to end my review off on a downer negative note, so I'll bring things back around to the positive side in mentioning the excellent CGI effects work here. Seriously, this movie had astounding CGI and way above-average for what we've come to expect from Asylum. Be it the wonderfully-designed killer monsters or the giant Mechs themselves, or especially the city-destroying CGI brawls between the two, everything in this movie in terms of the special effects looked excellent and everyone at Asylum should pat themselves on the back for a great job well done!

Atlantic Rim (Sorry, I mean Attack From Beneath) would make a great summer double-bill with Age of Dinosaurs, as both movies encompass the best that Asylum has to offer and both have truly insanely chaotic, awesome, and fun third acts. I know Asylum doesn't really do sequels anymore, but out of all of their movies that deserve one, this is the one I want to see a sequel to most. In addition, I find most of their best movies are their mockbusters, so its sad that they seem to be doing them a lot less and less as time goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next two years they stop doing these ones all together. I mean, I can't blame them seeing as how its just leading to legal issues after legal issues these days, but its still sad to see them declining, so it's all the more important that if, like me, you're a fan of these low budget knock off flicks, then you get out there and support these mockbuster titles.