• PG-13, 1 hr. 52 min.
    In Theaters:
    Oct 12, 2012 Wide
    On DVD:
    Feb 19, 2013
  • Atlas Distribution

Critic Review - New York Post

"Atlas Shrugged: Part II" is political economy written with crayon.

October 12, 2012 Full Review Source: New York Post | Comments (20)
New York Post
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Orson Olson

Orson Olson

If so, then Kyle Smith has no clue as to what "political economy" means.

Oct 13 - 03:20 AM

Truman F.

Truman F

Nah. Rand just gets it that wrong.

Oct 14 - 07:00 AM

Stephen Dmytriw

Stephen Dmytriw

DERRR Like so many left wing morons who shit on Rand, I doubt you've ever read any of her books, or know anything about her. You are just another moron jumping on the Rand is bad band wagon. While the messages may be a bit simplistic, they were great adventure stories nonetheless. Anyone who thinks is is some kind of important political work is a moron. Looking at her life, especially her connection to the Soviet Union, it's not there's no mystery how her philosophies were formed.

Oct 14 - 02:28 PM

Truman F.

Truman F

Well then, Captain Mindreader, you'd be wronger than wrong, wouldn't you. I've read a couple of her books and have actually worked my way through the great ball of bogosity, John Galt's speech, which is more than most self-proclaimed objectivists have.

As far as bandwagon - I've known she's crap for thirty years. Maybe one day you'll figure it out too.

Oct 14 - 09:45 PM

minke p.

minke pants

I read her when I was 12. The same friend of my mother's gave me The Fountainhead and 1984. She'd picked up on the fact that i was already an atheist, although I scarcely dared to be blatant about it.

I had to read Anthem before I could 'get' Fountainhead.
I had to read Animal Farm before I could 'get' 1984.

I guess Ayn's got something that naturally appeals to the pseud adolescent that I was:
finished with the church
contemptuous of authority
contemptuous of the state
contemptuous of social workers (cloaked authority of the state)
contemptuous of social and sexual mores

as was Orwell

as was I

as AM I.

oh... but then Ayn handed me a new set of chains: my boss.

Worship him, worship him

No thanks, Ayn.

She's just doing the same shtick St, Augustine did 1,700 years ago: "Hey, kids, I'm a crazy anarchist too, for 'what is a robbery but a small kingdom, what is a kingdom but a great robbery?' Now put on this leash and worship the Church and State."

or your friggin' boss.

Oct 15 - 10:33 PM

BCENS

B Cens

Dude, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE?! I can't take it anymore! Change your avatar! You look like a stunt double for Fifield!

Oct 15 - 01:25 PM

Bob Delsol

Bob Delsol

let me guess, you're liberal.

Oct 13 - 06:21 AM

Joseph Minardi

Joseph Minardi

Or maybe, just maybe, the movie really SUCKED. And Kyle Smith is no liberal.

Oct 13 - 07:27 AM

Truman F.

Truman F

That's it. They'll point fingers everywhere but where it belongs. Oh mommy, the reviewer is a liberal! Oh mommy, the press is trying to suppress us! Oh mommy, acadmia is conspiring against us! Oh mommy, Hollywood is too afraid of our ideas to put them into a movie!

But never: Oh mommy, maybe we're wrong! Oh mommy, the reviewers are calling it a crappy movie because it's a crappy movie! Oh mommy, maybe Ayn Rand isn't the genius we all tell our quivering selves she must be! Oh mommy, maybe we're exactly the smug cult of a--holes everyone always tells us we are!

Oct 13 - 08:56 AM

Truman F.

Truman F

But never: Oh mommy, maybe we're wrong! Oh mommy, the reviewers are calling it a crappy movie because it's a crappy movie! Oh mommy, maybe Ayn Rand isn't the towering genius we all tell our quivering selves she must be! Oh mommy, maybe "Atlas Shrugged" really is the half-ton tub of rancid lard we keep insisting it isn't isn't isn't! Oh mommy, maybe we're exactly the smug cult of a--holes everyone always tells us we are, and we should finally take the clue so many people are offering us!

Oct 13 - 08:59 AM

Bill Kleinsturn

Bill Kleinsturn

Clever, although inappropriate, use of adjectives. Not much else. Alinsky's Rule #5 comes to mind. Not much else there, either. Whatever floats your boat spending the time of your life that you'll never get back.

You do know that when you write tripe like this using phrases like "no artistic ability of any kind" it's convincing no one, other than you think you're a good writer but we all wonder why then "no ability" (which means NO ability) needs the modifier ("of any kind").

But in the words of Daniel Tosh, I'll call BS. "No ability" "of any kind" happened to get two parts of a three part movie in theaters across the country. So, there must be some ability, eh?

Which is why, Trudy, the more you preach and pontificate, the more people think to themselves, "Uh huh. Think I'll decide for myself."

Oct 14 - 10:06 AM

Frank Mayfield

Frank Mayfield

Yes, because making fun of a person's name screams credibility.

Oct 24 - 12:41 PM

Anthony R.

Anthony Rubino

New York Post, simpleton. New. York. Post.
[L]et me guess[;] you're illiterate.

Oct 13 - 07:38 AM

Roy Brooks

Roy Brooks

Stick to movies your understanding of the economy is fairly sad. plus actually bother to read the book and not just 1/8th of it.

Oct 13 - 08:02 AM

Truman F.

Truman F

Kyle Smith was the only top critic to call Part I "fresh." So if *he* thinks its a stinker, then stinker it is, and that means "top critics" is going to stay glued to 0% throughout the release.

And of *course* this movie's going to be a stinker. It's based on a novel by Ayn Rand, she of the immense ego and vaporware talent. How could it *not* suck? Take a picture of a train wreck, and you get a picture of a train wreck.

The good thing about this release, like the previous one, is that it gets the Rand acolytes out in full force, fully mustered and posting as if they were a major force - and yet they can't save their movie from dropping like a rock. Why? Because, at the end of the day, for all their noise and smug self-assurance and PR machine, there just aren't very many of them.

Still, I hope that the exercise equipment manufacturer who's doing these movies as a vanity project decides to go for Part III, permanently sealing a place for "Atlas" in the Hall of Legendarily Terrible Trilogies.

Does this movie suck? There's really no one else to blame but Ayn Rand herself.

Oct 13 - 08:51 AM

Chris Whittaker

Chris Whittaker

Besides, even the libertarians (Kurt Loder reviewing for Reason Magazine) thought that Part 1 was a piece of crap.

Oct 13 - 11:09 AM

Truman F.

Truman F

Because it was.

The producers continue to show slavish devotion perhaps but certainly no business sense, and clearly no artistic abilities of any kind.

Oct 13 - 12:50 PM

Bill Kleinsturn

Bill Kleinsturn

You gotta love how compulsive Truman is about this. If he really thought what he spews, he'd just ignore it all. Instead, look at all his posts about this, here and on other reviews of this movie. I think the drive, the compulsion, is clinical in his case. If he doesn't relieve his anxiety, he'll pee himself. I mean, Gandhi's progression was, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

C'mon Truman, let's see if you can manage your incontinence and not stain the floor all of us are using. Prove me wrong by not writing another post about this movie here. Show us all how forgetful this movie is, that it's so bad it's not even worth your time. You can do it. Can't you?

Oct 14 - 09:59 AM

BCENS

B Cens

@kleinsturn - No need to spew right-wing rhetoric all over the place, scro! They're all bums here! Their revolution is over! CONDOLONCES! THE BUMS LOST!

BTW, you certainly get around here at RT. Are you EMPLOYED, sir?

Oct 15 - 05:05 PM

minke p.

minke pants

Yeah, Bill. Pee-pee, doody. You're smart. Yes, you are.

Oct 14 - 10:54 AM

Truman F.

Truman F

Yep. The thing I like best about Randians is their unearned condescension. They raise their eyebrows right up to that middlebrow level Rand wrote for, and then tell poop jokes.

Oct 14 - 11:02 AM

minke p.

minke pants

Yeah, Bill. Pee-pee, doody. You're smart. Yes, you are.

Oct 14 - 10:54 AM

Truman F.

Truman F

It's kinda like he found a list of "fifteen ways to be condescending on the internet" and is checking them off one by one.

Oct 14 - 11:03 AM