ATM Reviews

½ December 31, 2013
Plenty of holes in this one. In short a stupid and ridiculous movie. Too bad, the cast is actually solid, but they are doomed to an inane plot which forces them to do the usual clichéd stupid stuff guaranteed to prolong their misery. All in all, goofy movie.
July 31, 2012
ATM desperately wants to be a high concept thriller in the vein of Phone Booth, but lacks the good performances and thrills of that movie to be successful. The writing and acting are terrible, the characters continually do remarkably dumb things, and the "set-up" phase of the story to get you involved with the characters is downright atrocious. I didn't like any of these characters at all and some of the things that come out of their mouth make you shake your head. There's a scene or two that pack a punch viscerally, but they are too separated and are following by stupefying actions. They do one thing right not showing who the villain is or what his motivations are, but the ending just felt tacked on to me. I mainly watched this because I thought the concept sounded really cool, but beyond that there's nothing to recommend about this film. It lacks the brain, story, and thrills required of this genre to succeed.
February 9, 2013
I really like fast-paced claustrophobic movies.
LWOODS04
February 18, 2012
"The only reason I found this film to be a tad scary and definitely creepy is because this could happen. Maybe not exactly like this. But there are some crayzay peeps out there doing similar shit. I thought the premise was good and so was the acting. I however thought some of the decisions were ridiculous. Why park so far away, why not jump the guy-there are three of you like Corey says, and last why didn't you just run the other damn way when he was standing so far away or distracted by, I don't know, beating the crap out of someone else? I got a little frustrated with the three victims. But then again, who knows how one might act if ever in this situation. We all lose our thought process when were scared and panicking. I know I do."
TheDudeLebowski65
September 17, 2012
Interesting concept that lacks in effective storytelling, ATM is a mediocre low-budget horror film that mixes elements of Slasher film and psychological horror. The film is predictable and you know how it will turn out. The film's script is poorly written, and though it has an interested concept for a horror film, its potential is wasted due to the fact that you know how it will play out. This film had potential in being a good little horror film; unfortunately the script has too many flaws to make this film work well enough to really entertain the viewer. Considering that the film is mediocre, there are some pretty good performances, which is a shame because the filmmaker's couldn't deliver a better plot than what was shown on-screen. The film doesn't have any real payoff, which is disappointing because it starts off well enough, and you think it's going to be a good little flick. Unfortunately the script is limited by poor writing, thus the film never really takes off. Director David Brooks can't seem to comprehend the horror medium and he uses ideas previously explored in other films to create this film. This could have been such a memorable horror yarn, but it falls short. If the filmmakers would have rewritten the script a few times, and tried to develop something more original instead of focusing on clichéd material. If you're going into this one expecting a good horror film, you'll be sadly disappointed. ATM could have turned out much better; unfortunately it's quite forgettable and doesn't deliver. This is a prime of example of a picture that wasted its potential, and will leave you wanting more.
½ August 12, 2012
ATM

Low cash can make good movies

Turns out that ATM is a good film. In its own way this movie brings up many questions worth reflecting, like the paranoia and injustice, and still manages to entertain full time with its unique style of suspense.

ATM is simple film about a group of three co-wokers that after leaving a Christmas Party together, they stop at an ATM machine but end up fighting for their lives once they become trapped by an unknown man.

Yes, you might have guessed it, the acting in this movie isnt amazing, neither are the effects and pacing. However, the movie manages to create a unique form of suspense and is very involving throughout its runtime. The movie invovles the audience and brings up questions and themes worth analyzing - I am a fan of movies that fall under these types.

I dont recommend this movie to anyone who wants to watch something scary, or action packed. This is a slow movie, and the ending to many may be dissapointing. However, personally, I had a good time watching this movie and it definately let me thinking for a while (always a sign of a good film).

Corey: Life's about choices man. One bad one can ruin every good one you have made.
YodaMasterJedi
June 27, 2012
three stars!
April 21, 2012
Coming fresh off of the well-crafted film Buried, writer unknown returns, in a severe downfall in his career. âATMâ? is about three young people who end up together for the dumbest reason possible, and because the druggie wants to stop at an ATM, fate them ensues. First let me say that when the killer arrives and begins to devise is random plan, many of the business workers can be suspected, but no, the outcome will just piss you off. There is absolutely nothing clever about this movie and it plays as a rehash of the film Frozen, almost recreating some of the dialogue. The only thing that held up after this film was Josh Peckâ(TM)s performance which I thoroughly enjoyed. He can act, which is a shame that he chooses film roles like this. The directing is very basic, the writing is dreadful, and the plot is preposterous. There really is nothing to like here unless you want to make fun of a bad film. âATMâ? is a mere 85 minutes in length, while still feeling too long. This film is a waste of time!
MANUGINO
March 9, 2012
On a late night visit to an ATM, three co-workers end up in a desperate fight for their lives when they become trapped by an unknown man.

Not bad! I very much enjoyed this movie. Like I said before and I'll say again and probably keep saying it about future movies, there's just some movies that you just watch once in your life, you enjoy it and never see again and this was one of them. Yes it was thrilling for the moment but that's about it.

After leaving their company Christmas Party together, David Hargrove and Emily Brandt's impromptu first date takes an unexpected turn when their coworker, Corey, asks them to make a late-night stop at an ATM. What should be a routine transaction turns into a desperate struggle for survival when an unknown man appears outside the vestibule. With the wintry temperatures dipping below freezing, and the morning sunrise still hours away, they have no choice but to play the man's deadly game of cat-and-mouse.
½ March 6, 2012
I must admit it had me on edge a little bit, but still disappointed.
themoviewaffler.com
½ March 11, 2012
First time director Brooks sets his debut in an ATM booth but the only withdrawal will be that of the viewer's patience.
The horror genre has often reflected the fears of the times. Movies like Universal's "Dracula" and "The Mummy" exploited America's fear of immigrants and European fascism in the thirties. During the Vietnam era the likes of "Deliverance" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" preyed on young men's anxiety of finding themselves out of their depth in an unknown and dangerous territory. If there's one overbearing fear in our current time it's the fear of poverty. Brooks and screenwriter Chris Sparling make a half-hearted attempt at commenting on the financial crisis. The three protagonists are employees of an investment firm and of course we have the setting of an ATM booth. Bad move. Financial workers have become the new traffic wardens, it's the most despised occupation there is now so if this is the job of your protagonists you better work hard to get the audience on their side. It doesn't help that these characters make such stupid decisions that you just want them to get offed as quickly as possible.
Following a Christmas office party the three co-workers find themselves stopping off at an ATM booth in the middle of a large deserted parking lot. When a hooded figure kills a dog-walker outside the booth they are too scared to leave and spend the night being menaced by the mystery killer while trying to figure out an escape plan.
Writing a contemporary horror movie is getting tougher as technology progresses. One of the key themes of horror is isolation but we live in a world where it's increasingly difficult to be isolated. Sparling really struggles with this challenge and ends up digging plotholes into his story. There are so many moments that will have you cringing, for example:

a character forgets to take his mobile phone with him.
another character's phone battery is dead.
the third character leaves their phone in their handbag, inside an unlocked car.
the car is parked as far away from the ATM as possible, for no apparent reason.
the killer is often a considerable distance from the booth, giving them ample opportunity to make a break for it.
at one point the antagonist traps them in the booth by jamming a car against it's door. Somehow nobody thinks to just pull it open. We know it opens inwards because we saw this when they entered first and it's repeated at the end in a montage of CCTV footage.
With just a bit of thought and a closer analysis of the script this could have been a tight little thriller. As it is it's like checking your bank account, there's a lot less in it than you had hoped for.
Angel G.
½ August 6, 2012
I have mixed feeling about this slasher-horror thriller, its good, but not great. ATM is one of those claustrophobic thrillers, and does it do a good job in the suspense department? Surprisingly yes, it does a good job. The acting was fine to me, Josh Peck impresses me and was the better actor, he plays a darker, serious version of what he used to do in Nick, so that's at least a step to get out of his nickelodeon fame. Brian Geraghty is a decent actor, he always plays his roles well, there wasn't nothing I didn't like about him. The downside is Alice Eve, another decent actress who played her role very well...in She's Out of My League, in here, all I had were mixed feelings. She was at first whiny, then annoying, after that she finally was acting like she should have been, I just think this wasn't her role. I think the disappointing part of the movie is the ending, not that its confusing, it just leaves with nothing, like a bag of air. The villain is what brings suspense and anxiety in the movie, but you never know who it is, and its kinda....dumb? I don't know, the movie shifts to dumb, to chilling, to dumber, to serious, to horrifying and to a dumb ending. ATM is a dumb, satisfying horror guilty pleasure.
March 11, 2012
Nothing new to the genre, the higher end performance from its three main leads (Alice Eve, Brian Geraghty, Josh Peck) brings ATM to a respectable level. Though with very little pay-off, there is an eerie-ness beyond that of most horror resolutions that brings this tight-knit, location thriller to a thought-provoking conclusion.
jim222001us
½ March 6, 2012
After an office party, 3 co-workers find themselves stuck at an ATM in the middle of nowhere with a killer outside that won't let them leave. The film looked cool in the trailer but ATM is a road to nowhere and it doesn't even explain what the killers motive is. I was into it through-out but the end is disappointing and there's no payoff.
½ August 27, 2014
This dump doodle of a film, is probably the laziest thriller, I've seen in a loooooooooooong time. A thriller with no set-up, payoff, characters, motivation, cleverness, or good villains. It has a lame twist though, if that was even a twist to begin with. I found Frozen, a movie with a similar concept to be incredibly stupid, however that was Citizen Kane in comparison. Awful film.
June 25, 2013
ATM, a horror/suspense film with average performances and above acceptable suspense has an ending that will make you wish their were a sequel.
½ January 1, 2013
This movie is just plain terrible. It is about dumb people who do dumb things with a dumb serial killer. Nothing about this film makes sense?! The decision making in this film is beyond comprehension. I am not even completely done and I am just rooting for everyone to die. I seriously have not seen a movie this bad since the crap horror movie, Frozen.
November 26, 2012
I really liked this move. It was so different from other scary movies. I liked the idea of a crazy plotting a game of mice in an atm booth. The whole hooded winter coat was freaky. The actors did a great job and the movie never lost my interest, the 3 main characters are causing themselves more problems than the actual bad guy! Sweet movie! Rent it!
½ October 28, 2012
ATM was so bad, you just know there will be a straight to video sequel! The whole time, the stupid characters try to make you believe that this random ATM killer is the guy who lost a bunch of money through an investment firm. Meanwhile, the jokester tag along guy keeps pushing his buddy to hit on the hot chick. Why doesn't he hit on her? It's never implied that he is gay and he claims she is pretty hot too. We never find out who the killer is and why but apparently he has killed a bunch of other people in ATM's too bad no one else in the movie knew there was an ATM serial killer running around. Lame. Poor acting and very improbable ending. Here's hoping that nobody else invests money in any more of these duds. DECLINED!