Movies Like L'Auberge Espagnole (Pot Luck)(Euro Pudding)(The Spanish Apartment)

—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

L'Auberge Espagnole (Pot Luck)(Euro Pudding)(The Spanish Apartment) Reviews

Carlos M

September 29, 2011
What a lovely, charming, funny and touching film about friendship and love that will please even more those who know what it is like to be abroad in the same situation, like myself. The poignant story portrays with great sincerity the insecurities and fears of youth through a group of characters we easily identify with and care about.
Cassandra M

December 21, 2009
At first sight, this film is a lively and engaging comedy, particularly for anybody familiar with the world of Erasmus students. Klapisch has undoubtedly succeeded in capturing the atmosphere of the multi-national student squat, creating an immediately interesting cultural crossroads, and of course a premise for lots of stereotyped jokes. And what trendier place for it all to take place than Barcelona ? The film's sparky characterisation (particularly Wendy zi English and her 'geezer' of a brother) proves that Klapish has observed intently the lifestyle and behaviour of today's European student travelers.

However, this does not hide a handful of gaping holes in the plot, which are easily noticeable on a second viewing of the film.

L'auberge espagnole falls arms flailing into the voice-over trap: drastic over-use throughout. Whether Klapisch intended to give a bird's eye view of the action, or simply to speed up the pace of the film at times, the result of too much voice-over is that Xavier's character loses its authenticity.

Romain Duris's acting is wooden - particularly with so many beautiful females around. As for Judith Godreche, she plays a non-starter of a part. Her character has no proper relationship with either of her men.

Klapish has paid attention to some nice little details. A quick shot of a sandal's foot on a marble staircase, William the English lad's upturned collar, and a TV clip of the Catalan sport of human tower-building, for example.

However these little gems cannot hide flagrant over-editing which stagger the flow of the film and dissolve any feeling of resolution at the end. The frantic city running scene à la 007 is ridiculous: why ALL the house mates have to return so suddenly remains a mystery.

Some say this film makes political reference to the leading European powers. I think that it just wants to be a light entertaining comedy: it nearly fails even to be that !
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
Weird... but good
Ross C

January 14, 2007
A movie I can really identify with about a bunch of Erasmus students from across Europe sharing a house and life in Barcelona. It avoids being corny, and presents a funny, entertaining depiction of international university life, and the self-development of the characters and their national stereotypes.
Stefanie C

April 10, 2008
average movie with a great ending.
Daniel P

June 6, 2010
A joyous, funny, clever and unexpectedly moving film - an instant favorite - and another masterpiece from Cédric Klapisch. A celebration of Europe and a melting pot of different cultures, languages and personalities, with every one of the expertly detailed characters interesting and someone you would love to know. The cast - especially Romain Duris who can do no wrong, and Kelly Reilly who is effortlessly charming as well as amusingly neurotic - are superb across the board. Consistently inventive technically, artistically and intellectually. J'adore.
meril l

August 10, 2009
An enjoyable look at a group of international students getting along and having a great time... idyllic, eh?
iLeo
iLeo

February 17, 2008
Absolutely interesting! Since childhood, Xavier dreamt of becoming a writer. As an adult, his dream becomes a bit outward and decides to take an economics course in Barcelona that would enable him to fluently speak Spanish, and secure a similar job position that his father once possessed. Leaving behind his girlfriend Martine, he joins a group of fellow international students living in an apartment. His first conversation begins in the airport when he meets, and befriends, a couple. His experiences create a havoc of ups and downs that would later expend a generous amount of writing materials.
Great cast- Romain Duris, Judith Godrèche, Cécile De France, Audrey Tautou, Kelly Reilly, Frederico D'Anna, Barnaby Metschurat, and Cristina Brondo. Worthy!
Sunil J

April 25, 2008
The main character is a bit of a douche but I really liked the other characters.
Janice :

September 28, 2007
Cute and mellow.
June 19, 2014
Captures a nice sense of how it feels to be young. Liked the atmosphere created from the group of roommates. I wish the movie had focused more on all of the roommates instead of so much on Xavier's love life, I really like the makeshift familt aspect of such movies, though it doesn't delve into that enough. Still pretty good.
quoththeravennevermore
January 4, 2008
Had to see this for French class. Very predictable. Too much sex (I really did not need to see the woman getting it on w/ her flamenco teacher). And did I mention it was predictable?
QueenCityFilms
QueenCityFilms

February 23, 2008
Cool.

Had some memorable scenes. Sappy radiohead music - not too spiffy. Nice affair with the wife scene. Hamburgers.
lyn8511
June 17, 2008
This movie is a great take onworking throught the kinks when you first really step into the world on your own.
williamrwoolard
June 10, 2008
This film reminds me somewhat of my friends and I and all the crazy times we shared. Theye weren't crazy enough, but they would understand. I love the mix of cultures and miss it. This is a winner. It will make you want to leave your life and go around the world.
13thmonkey
November 14, 2007
Entertaining piece about the failure of modern life. I want to be the main character but am not skinny, French or motivated enough to even not know what I want to do with myself.
July 5, 2007
Brilliant microcosm of the EU! Complete with melodramas, prejudices, and ultimately timely co-operations
nusuhill
May 27, 2007
A movie about a young college graduate who travels to Spain to pursue his grad work. While he was in Spain, he meets different types of people. The experience he had in Spain made him grow as a person, and he decided to pursue his real dream: to be a writer for children's books.
katrinamb
March 9, 2007
Not a bad movie, but when I picked it up I mistakenly translated it as "The Spanish Eggplant." I never quite recovered.
February 1, 2007
Not a bad film. I sww it a few months back and enjoyed it. Audrey Tatou was very good in this film as was Romaine Duris.