August Evening - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

August Evening Reviews

½ October 20, 2010
This movie has a slow pace, but some wonderful moments. It's a slice of life movie about strong relationships, and the importance of family. Not for someone who gets bored easily, however, because it really is a slow moving (yet nice) drama.
½ August 15, 2008
The story sometimes moves at a crawl, but always the filmmaker follows the pair with unobtrusive attentiveness to conflicting cultural and generational pulls.
½ July 11, 2014
good family drama lil long though
½ January 16, 2011
The Ozu plots will be remade forever, but will anyone dare to adapt his style?
½ December 26, 2010
A sweet, sad, little story. It could easily have been twenty or thirty minutes shorter and just as effective.
½ October 20, 2010
½ March 6, 2010
romance and responsibility
September 24, 2009
A subtle film on the struggle to define love, family, and relationships. In some ways this film has amazing uniqueness, but it tends to take those aspects and overdo them. Some paring down of story lines and the nonverbal sequences would make this film much more satisfying.
July 16, 2009
Sensitive film about cultural and generational conflicts within a migrant family in Texas. Engrossing in a quiet way.
June 21, 2009
I can't find a DVD with English captions that work.
May 4, 2009
a very pure, touching, sad movie about family, bonds, love, care, responsibility...so natural, so simple, yet so beautiful...
March 16, 2009
A real gem. Show true love and bonding of family and people you treat like family. It also shows some people who have no feelings for the people that have sacrifice for them.
½ August 15, 2008
½ January 29, 2009
pretty interesting movie. made me truly realize how depressing it can be to be a elderly mexican immigrant in the US.
January 21, 2009
A great story of an aging man, his struggles with family and work. The characters are portrayed excellently. It is such a sad story.
½ January 12, 2009
A very quiet, observant, and sweet film. I love that it's natural and tells a story that I haven't seen portrayed on film before - we always need more of that! The performances were lovely and well done on the whole. There was an honesty to this film that is lacking in so many films that are done on a larger scale. My only major complaint is that it meanders and consequently was longer than it needed to be - but still a great film.
December 17, 2008
the lead actress is from my hometown nd i know her mom
November 6, 2008
This movie moved me. It may be my #1 movie of the year.
May 26, 2008
I don't know why some people/companies who make trailers think they've made a trailer when all they've done is shown some images on the screen interspliced with words from critics hailing how good this film is.

I don't care how many artsy fartsy awards it won at God knows what festival, I wanna know what the film's about and is it worth my time.

Unless it's a teaser or your trailer has Will Smith in it; why would anyone care what critics (that they've probably never heard of) have to say about a film with a lot of awards. "Crash" won a lot of awards too, that doesn't make it a good film.