August Rush Reviews

½ August 5, 2010
Touching. Great music.
DreamExtractor
August 17, 2011
A good hearted film with some great music, great performances, but a very terrible ending that almost ruined it for me.
½ April 28, 2011
Now, okay. I understand that this is a film that loves music (and I can see that), but, one problem I have with some films is the crime they commit of taking a plot that has been used over and over again and just rehashes it without adding anything new. Sadly, for August Rush, this is the truth. The acting in this film is, actually wonderful. Freddie Highmore is wonderful as ever, but even his acting can not really save this film. The script is basically a modern telling of Oliver Twist, just added a love of music. Now, if the script only worked on the love of music and cut the rest of it out, then this film would have been better. But, it had to have a sappy love story thrown in. Now, the main reason, if any, to see this film would have to be the film's score. I mean, it is just wonderful to hear all the music in the film and it would have worked well if the film only dealt with Evan (Freddie Highmore) being a music prodigy. Now, the direction of this film is rather slow. I mean, it could have been much faster paced and it does drag for a while. Overall, I only recommend this film if you are into cliche films or just really good film scores.
April 4, 2010
Touching, musically full of zest, imaginative, and family friendly, August Rush has stellar acting, a great soundtrack, and the love of all out there crafting their masterpiece.
July 23, 2010
B
TheDudeLebowski65
½ July 14, 2010
Overrated piece of crap. Bad acting, bad script and Sappy story make for August Rush a definite miss. Just a poor story.
February 22, 2010
Just a feel good movie all over, not for everyone. I thought it was magical and beautiful.
January 11, 2010
August Rush does have many flaws, just like about ever movie... however I can't find myself disliking this movie one bit, because of how heartwarming it is!
ScoopOnline
December 13, 2009
An incredible journey moving at the speed of sound
December 13, 2007
Didn't quite live up to my high expectations...Freddie Highmore did an awesome job and I really enjoyed the opening sequence, but overall, it felt like one giant music montage...I felt like the score never stopped playing in the background, and there's a particular development in Robin Williams' role that I wasn't expecting nor did I particularly enjoy. Once again, I enjoyed the trailer more than the movie itself.
TomBowler
August 2, 2009
if you're a music fan, you will love this film. if you're not, you'll like it just as much. robin williams is exceptional as usual, the only real downfall is the fact that the lead actor is not played all that well by freddie highmore. however, he has a promising future ahead, and if he gets backup casts as good as he has in this film then he'll be right as rain.
January 7, 2009
Plot-wise, there's hardly anything new here. It's the same old "lost and found" kind of story you'd probably have seen loads of times till now. The only difference is that this one's executed musically. But, despite this fact, the movie isn't boring or a complete let-down and is pretty much watchable. Not a movie you should rush for, but give it a chance if you get a chance to watch it some day.
January 17, 2008
This movie could have been served on a cob there is that much corn in it. Little kid runs around town looking for his lost parents and "feeling" the music. It had me feeling for a sick bucket most of the way through.
October 23, 2008
Ok, this movie has its faults. Like a 10 year old kid (prodigy or not) is going to compose that music? And Robin Williams can be that annoying? And his parents can hear a few seconds of the symphony and know it is their kid?

But the story is uplifting, and I really enjoyed the music, and I had tears in my eyes at the end. Watch the darn movie!
August 17, 2007
Beautiful music and film.
deano
November 23, 2007
That story is full of strong emotionally drama between the musics and a very long lost relationship. Really wonderful heart-warming flick stars Freddie Highmore is amazing as a young orphan who heads to New York in search of his real parents, who are musicians, and very mystery of musical in his mind like his parents. And his co-stars Robin Williams as a crazy old sod who usesthe local homeless boys to make money - they basically busk on the streets for him and he lives off their takings. A very different role for Williams, but, not surprisingly, he pulls it off.
movieguru12
December 8, 2007
Absolutely WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!
½ November 22, 2007
Everybody in this movie is really cute. Sometimes, I like cliches.