Austenland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Austenland Reviews

½ April 25, 2015
This film is a lot of fun for the inner geek/romantic. Russell doesn't quite gel for as a character smitten with Jane Austin and Coolidge, while funny, is a bit too forced and frequent to sit right. JJ Feild is marvelous for his role. The plot doesn't quite make sense, but it's all good fun and thoroughly enjoyable.
½ January 14, 2014
This one was a peculiar film. I sort of liked the premise but then most of the film was actually ridiculous. Even Keri Russell rolls her eyes several times. But the problem was it was so absurd that it actually made me laugh out loud. So I'm not at all sure if I was just laughing at a really bad film. You have been warned.
March 4, 2014
Keri Russell stars in the satirical comedy Austenland. The story follows a young woman obsessed with the works of Jane Austen, who takes a vacation to a cottage retreat where she gets to live out a Jane Austen style adventure. Russell gives a great performance and has good chemistry with her co-stars. Additionally, Jennifer Coolidge and Jane Seymour make for a strong supporting cast. Still, the writing is a little weak and the plot doesn't always seem like it knows where it's going. But, despite its ups and downs Austenland is fun and entertaining.
PantaOz
½ February 6, 2014
I saw the low ratings on RT regarding this British-American romantic comedy directed by Jerusha Hess and based on Shannon Hale's novel of the same name, and I have to say that I disagree with such low ratings. First thing is that acting was superb, and Keri Russell as a single thirty-something obsessed with Jane Austen's 1813 novel Pride and Prejudice, who travels to a British resort called Austenland, in which the Austen era is recreated, was amazing. The same could be said for the co-stars JJ Feild, Jane Seymour, Bret McKenzie, and Jennifer Coolidge!

The story of Jane Hayes was unique, and the Jane Austen-themed resort in England, Austenland was something which I never seen before in any movie. Dialogues were full with clichés, that's true, but everything was done well! The details were amazing... the guests at Austenland choose to be called by an imaginary name, must dress in period costume and conduct themselves like ladies without modern conveniences (though the plumbing was modern). Activities include needlepoint, riding, reading, shooting and entertaining the other guests through musical performances or theatrics. At the conclusion of each guest's stay a ball is held with a romance guaranteed.

Directing was as good as you can get it in a romantic comedy like this... and you hear this from a guy who is very choosy when romantic comedies are in question. This one was very clever one which finds new ways to exploit the Mr. Darcy archetype! To the max! Moving into the director's chair after co-scripting Napoleon Dynamite and its two follow-ups with husband Jared, Jerusha Hess leaves most of the ostentatious quirks behind. (The theme park's strange menagerie of taxidermied animals is the strongest echo of those weird films.) She managed to get just the right notes from Russell ... and everything seemed easy ... Jerusha Hess gets her romance just grounded enough to handle the comic extremes supplied by the supporting cast.

The weakest point was the music... but only for people who left before the credits run out! There was an unexpected and delightful musical romp played during the final credits which in this review is worth 10%! I loved it. Check this one out... I found it very watchable and even enjoyable!
August 23, 2015
You really can't watch a movie like this expecting the performance of a lifetime or a life-changing viewing experience, but for what it is, I really enjoyed it. The concept is fun and while overall it's really corny, sometimes I just like to sit back and watch something cute and quirky. As long as you don't try to take it too seriously, this is a great film.
May 9, 2014
Crazy obsessed person gets dream of living in Austin novel. Yeah, cuz that's gonna work out. Entertaining at least, if you wanna watch a chick flick.
March 15, 2014
It's nice seeing a movie where the female character gets to geek out over something, as a geek myself its refreshing. Of course, this movie is a warning to the extremes of "over-geeking out" at something you love and are passionate about. Despite this message throughout the movie, it's still just mostly fun fluff.
½ February 19, 2014
It's like a Jane Austin story about Jane Austin stories. It sort of works. The "message" though is awkward--something along the lines of being duped into spending all your money on a disappointing experience will pay off in the end because you'll find your true love after all.
½ February 16, 2014
This movie is hilarious and written by one of the people behind Napoleon Dynamite. Jennifer Coolidge is basically the same character in ever movie, but she never fails to slay me.
½ January 2, 2014
Not the most amazing film I've ever seen, but cute enough to entertain me on an airplane and keep me interested until the end.
September 8, 2013
I think if more reviewers were women, Darcy fanatics, and Austenites, this movie would have better reviews. There are a ton of in jokes here for those who, like me, have read hundreds of books based on Pride and Prejudice, and who have watched Colin Firth over and over and over....
½ November 1, 2015
Came across this movie when I was trying to watch Pride & Prejudice on Netflix (it expired before I could finish it!), and I know that it's bad. I know it. But I still laughed so many times that I couldn't help but enjoy it! I love Bret McKenzie as an actor/servant... and well, who doesn't love a version of Mr. Darcy?
October 11, 2015
If you are a Jane Austen fan with a sense of humor you will love this and probably die laughing. I laughed so hard I cried a bit.
September 14, 2015
I loved this movie. So funny and sweet.
½ July 30, 2015
While Austenland is amusing at parts, is kind of interesting premise wise and has a likable cast. It is hindered by a formulaic plot and an overeliance on gags.
½ May 17, 2015
Awful in every way. If Jane Austen were alive she'd sue to have all copies of this film destroyed.
May 7, 2015
Reality vs fantasy. Jane is a woman that is obsessed with Jane Austin's Mr. Darcy and the Regency times. She goes on a vactation to Austin Land to experience this time period, but has a hard time seeing the real from the lie.

was entertaining but lacked any real talent. Way over the time frilly, girly Jane Austin. Too much pink.
½ April 25, 2015