• PG-13, 1 hr. 34 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Austin Powers in Goldmember Reviews

Phil H

August 8, 2007
Third outing for Powers this time involving the disco era of the 70's and introducing his father with winning results much like 'Indy' did in 'The Last Crusade'.

Its Powers, its crazy, its childish, its chock full of sexual innuendo and toilet humour and like the previous two films its part of the best Bond spoof/parody franchise created. We all know what to expect with this and you get exactly what it says on the tin, so to speak.

The comedy is as sharp and witty as ever being thick n fast as Myers does his thing with various characters, his new creation of 'Goldmember' being typically dumb but quite amusing, unfortunately we also have to endure his Scottish creation again. There are loads of cameos throughout which do seem a little too much at times I must admit (do we really need to see Spears prancing around and Quincy Jones in a clear pointless ego nod?) but the cast continuity still impresses.

The mock intro sequence at the start is a good example of how it can work with Cruise actually looking a dead ringer for the Powers character and sending up his 'M.I.' films perfectly, kudos to Cruise for being able to laugh at himself. The inclusion of Devito and Spacey as 'Dr Evil' and 'Mini me' both hit the nail on the head perfectly also, you could easily do a new film with that cast. The added bonus of Caine playing Powers father is possibly the best bit of casting I've seen for along time, he was born for the role.

This time the franchise almost turned into a smutty sexual spoof like 'Flesh Gordon' in places, the comedy is definitely a touch risky where as the second film was smarter with more cultural references and the first being more sensible plot wise if that's possible. Anyway its still great fun with Dr Evil being the highlight for me as always, love his rap, but I can't decide which film is the best, possibly number two.
Alice S

August 10, 2007
The last-ditch-effort with celebrity cameos is cheap but still hilarious. I also like the role reversals of Scott Evil and Mini-Me. Beyonce plays the blaxpoitation heroine trope with sass and gusto.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 14, 2007
and Dr. Evil. Myers again plays shagadelic secret agent Austin Powers, his arch-nemesis Dr. Evil and horrible henchman Fat Bastard, and now also a new bad guy, the Dutch hedonist Goldmember. I found this movie hilarious and outrageous! It had a lot of crude humor, like Austin hiding behind Mr. Roboto's fountain. But there was also a good amount of self-parody. The best scenes included Dr. Evil's prison rap video, and the suggestive subtitles in Mr. Roboto's office. The several cameos were also enjoyable, especially Ozzy Osbourne pointing out the joke carried over from "The Spy Who Shagged Me." The scene with Godzilla and its copyright was a relevant joke, considering the MPAA's temporary ban on the use of the title "Goldmember." I did have a complaint about the continuity. The difference in Austin Powers' trademark "choppers" was noticeable. And although I'd have liked an explanation for the absence of Felicity Shagwell, I'm glad she was not revealed in the movie as a fembot! Anyway, with this third installment, Austin Powers goes out with a bang! 3 1/2 stars 12-21-02
Daniel Mumby
Daniel Mumby

January 7, 2013
Considering the sharp decline in quality between the first and second Austin Powers films, you'd be more than forgiven for going into Goldmember with the lowest possible expectations. Not only are good threequels genuinely rare, but comedy sequels are often driven by a need to milk the original jokes for as long as possible, rather than bring in anything new to move the characters forward.

For the most part, our expectations are justified: Austin Powers in Goldmember is a really bad comedy which only cements our disappointment at how far the series has fallen since International Man of Mystery. It is in essence a 90-minute exercise in wringing every last drop of humour out from the characters, the problem being that after The Spy Who Shagged Me, there wasn't anything left. But in spite of everything, it is a very marginal improvement on its predecessor, if only because it isn't quite as wretchedly mean-spirited.

One of the big debates that film fans often have is about self-awareness. If a bad film knows that it's bad, is that better or worse than a film which isn't aware of how terrible it is? In the past I've defended films such as Flash Gordon which triumphantly embrace their ridiculous elements. I've even stuck up for George Lucas (hard as that may be), arguing that he isn't aware of how terrifyingly idiotic he is, and that therefore even the worst moments of the Star Wars prequels aren't as painful as the worst excesses of Michael Bay.

I raise this question because Goldmember stakes a lot of its appeal on self-parody. It's as though Jay Roach and Mike Myers were aware of how little there was left in the tank with this series, and tried to make up for it by taking the piss out of themselves. The whole opening sequence re-imagines the series as if it was a Hollywood blockbuster, with Tom Cruise doing one of his early self-deprecating cameos as the big-screen Austin. The whole film is something of a cameo-fest, with Kevin Spacey, Danny DeVito and even John Travolta turning up - and in this early section, it's kind of funny.

The problem, however, is that Goldmember never really commits to the self-parody. Sometimes it wants to follow through with the self-deprecation, making jokes about shoddy wire work and the series' continuity. But other times it pulls back from this and wants to be as self-contained as the other films, mining the same tired jokes with diminishing returns and bot a hint of irony. Put simply, if you want to be self-aware, you have to be self-aware all the time, and just saying something's a self-parody doesn't work if you're not consciously trying to break free from the jokes that you're parodying.

There is even an inconsistency when the film tries to match the first film and send up the Bond series. There are a few moments in which the jokes really work, the best being Michael Caine's scene with the henchman. Caine talks to the henchmen surrounding him about how generic convention means they are doomed to die, saying to one "you haven't even got a nametag" and that they may as well just give up rather than have him fight them. It's a neat little joke which reflects the jokes about henchmen in International Man of Mystery, bringing the series full circle and making us feel that some thought did go into this.

Unfortunately gags of this calibre are few and far between, and the film makes precious little effort with the rest of its Bond trappings. There's plenty of clichéd disco dancing to remind us that we're in the 1970s now, but there's no effort made to use Beyoncé's character to send up either Blaxpoitation or the Bond films that assimilated it, like Live and Let Die. Goldmember could have been an interesting synthesis of Goldfinger and Francisco Scaramanga, but he's far more disgusting than funny, ending up as just a lazy Dutch stereotype with all the old jokes about sex and drugs.

This disappointment only goes to show how by-the-numbers the series has become, and how far removed it is from the often insightful first instalment. Even when the film consciously references Bond, such as the sumo scene halfway through, there is no effort made to tie the jokes to the characters. Even at its most embarrassing and predictable, the Bond series still gave us characters with a purpose, even if that purpose was stupid or made little sense. Goldmember feels constantly in search of an author or plot, with characters wandering around wondering why they exist besides the money involved.

On top of that, the film blatantly recycles jokes from both International Man of Mystery and The Spy Who Shagged Me. We get another shadow puppet joke, something that was run into the ground in the previous film; it has one good moment involving the 'birth' of Mini-Me, but nothing else. Mini-Me himself still gets a rum deal, constantly being punched and kicked around for no real reason other than a mean-spirited belief that little people are inherently funny. Roach is so desperate for a laugh that he even cuts to clips from the first two films, and just disguising them as flashbacks doesn't distract from how cheap he's being.

What we are left with is not so much a plot as a series of sketches. Different characters wander in and out, jokes are made with varying degrees of success, and after 90 minutes, it stops. After its promising opening the film rises and falls on each scene, settling into a shapeless universe in which nothing makes sense and no attempt is made to connect any one scene to another beyond lazy exposition. I'd call this approach contempt, if the film weren't so dull that it doesn't deserve anyone getting angry about it.

What makes Goldmember so disappointing, like its predecessor, is that there are any number of moments that could have worked with a little more effort. The sub-plot about Scott turning evil could have been developed into a proper storyline, giving Austin and Dr. Evil a reason to team up and for the film to examine their similarities, a la Holmes and Moriarty. The film could have made more of Goldmember's predicament, in a variation on the 'lost mojo' plot of the second film. But the whole thing is so episodic and lazy that every time a good idea or opportunity comes along, it's either instantly shot down or swept to one side as the next attempt at a joke starts.

On top of all that, the film is racially insensitive. We can just about excuse the characterisation of Goldmember: if nothing else, the film does occasionally make him so gross that he departs from an exact stereotype of Dutch people and becomes something more bizarre. But the scene with the Japanese twins is completely crass and unacceptable, to the point that when Fat Bastard arrives on screen, we're immensely grateful. While the film isn't as overtly mean-spirited as The Spy Who Shagged Me (perhaps because Bastard has less to do in it), there is a nasty, exploitative undercurrent to it which leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

The performances in Goldmember range from the capable to the completely pointless. Michael York remains game as Basil Exposition, even if he has less to do than usual, and Michael Caine acquits himself perfectly well considering what he has to work with. Mike Myers is hit-and-miss, with Dr. Evil being enjoyable, Austin being annoying and Goldmember being... Goldmember. Elsewhere Robert Wagner is decent, Beyoncé Knowles is wooden and Seth Green isn't as funny or as convincing as he is the first two films.

Austin Powers in Goldmember is a disappointing final instalment of a franchise that should have been restricted to one film. While it marginally improves on the tone of The Spy Who Shagged Me, it remains a lazy, episodic mess that can't decide how self-aware it wants to be, or even whether it wants to have a plot or not. Myers remains a talented individual, as proven by his work in the Shrek series around the same time, but no amount of gold can make up for the fact that Goldmember is pretty pants.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
Alright, I was proved wrong! After the second film, I thought the series really had nowhere else to go, but Director Jay Roach does it again, making yet another sequel topping the original. The gags are non-stop and the actors are relentless. Austin Powers in Goldmember is rip-roaring fun! From slapstick comedy, to actual gut splitting humour, unlike the others, I can actually watch this quite a bit more. 'The Spy Who Shagged ME' will always be my favourite out of the series, but this film really does the series justice. Even though I cannot see the future of this series progressing any further, I'm sure if they were to try, then can pull off yet another hilarious comedy. The humour is now becoming stale, so they better be careful in the fourth instalment!
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
Mike Myers is back as the ultimate gentleman spy with even more obscene comedy and a misdirected plot. Though Beyonce Knowles & Michael Caine's performances provided some light, "Goldmember" attempted to close the series with a strong punch but fails to give it that great big swing. 4/5
Jens S

June 12, 2006
The third installment in the series of the sex-crazed British super spy has all the ingredients that made the first two hits: spot-on James Bond parodies, jokes both above and below the belt and a complete lack of political correctness. That is repetitive at times, but still inventive at others and in the majority of scenes simply laugh out loud funny. The new additions to the cast work great, especially Michael Caine as Powers senior, and there are a few hilarious cameos in the opening sequence. A film that makes you want to kick midgets through a room can't be all bad, can it?
Jason S

December 26, 2006
Poor
Wildaly M

November 19, 2006
Not that funny at all.
Colin M

July 30, 2008
Austin Powers III is a funny film, but it pales so much in comparison to its previous two films that one can't help but feel disappointed after having seen the first two. Mike Myers portraying THREE different characters this time is just too much, and going to the 70s and revisiting the 50s via flashback takes away from Austin's 1960s vibe. The subplot involving Austin's father is a tad ridiculous and "exposing" Austin and Dr. Evil as long lost brothers nearly ruins the legacy of the series.
Eric A

October 24, 2011
Just didn't do it for me, and it somewhat steered off from the direction that the franchise was going in.
Sanjay R

April 24, 2011
Just a goofy, hilarious movie. It is Scary Movie-esque, but much better. I give Mike Myers a lot of credit for playing 4 roles and making those 4 characters the funniest in the movie.
Tyler K

August 7, 2011
Really funny. I, uh, see why you see... sorry, it's late and I feel real strange, but that's exactly how you will feel when you watch this movie. I swear, whoever made the script for this movie, as well as directed it, made effects, and anyone who worked in this film (cast or crew), was really high on drugs. This, however, is a good thing. It's an interesting movie and you won't be bored one bit during it. Hilarious. I loved it allot, you should too. It's the good kind of cheesy, by the way, so don't watch it expecting a Dumb & Dumber like movie.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 3, 2011
Third entry in the Austin Powers franchise is one of the best comedy sequels. I really loved the first two films in the series and I think that every film was great. The Austin Powers trilogy is one of the few trilogies that is great. Every film was terrific. This third film has all the usual trademarks of an Austin Powers film. Mike Myers is as usual very funny in four roles this time around. The film is full of witty dialogue, clever comedy.and of course unforgettable characters. Some of the parts in this film I thought were downright nuts compared to the first two. I thought as far sequels are concerned, especially those in the Comedy genre, Goldmember was a very good third entry. Especially putting in account that most franchises in the genre scrape the bottom of the barrel of ideas in terms of delivering something fresh. Sure this follows the same path as the first two films, but it also manages to drift away from previous entries to be a fine comedy in it's own right. Goldmember is a hilarious film that every Austin Powers fan will love and enjoy. The cast here do a fine job at delivering big laughs and theres plenty of surprises in the film that will make you laugh. A fine third entry thats cleverly written, Goldmember is the perfect example on how to do a perfect third entry to a comedy film. Usually filmmakers are lazy to come up with new and original material, but this is not the case with Goldmember. Theres plenty of new ideas here mixed with the old formula to make this film work well with hilarious results.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 13, 2011
This had some funny jokes but in the end it was very disgusting. It stuck to the series, and Beyonce was as unfunny as the first Austin Powers movie. The story was funny, and Dr. Evil is still my favorite. Some will hate, some will love, as for me, it was okay.
Matt G

January 21, 2011
I could not stop laughing! A-
Dean !

December 31, 2006
It's starting to look a bit dated now, and has a tendency to re-cycle the gags from the first two, and has too many song moments. If you're a fan of the first two you will still enjoy it, but it's not as good as the first one. However I loved the cameos in the opening 5 mins of the film, great idea.
Richard C

June 24, 2010
this was funny. B-
Dan S

June 24, 2007
An average chapter in the comical Austin Powers series. Although it suffers from an abundance of dick jokes its definitely clever at times, with Mike Myers showing that he definitely possesses versatility when required. Michael Caine is great as Austin's father and as stupid as the movie is at some parts, you'll definitely catch yourself laughing more than a few times. Plus, it's a tight running time, which is definitely ideal for a comedy.