• PG-13, 1 hr. 43 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Autumn in New York Reviews

Red L

February 6, 2014
I've seen a few movies like this. Womanizing guy falls in love with beautiful woman only to find out she has terminal something-or-other, and he matures caring for her. Seen it, done it.
Nicki M

January 20, 2008
Pretty ordinary. I really didn't like Richard Gere's character in this at all, and when the inevitable happened at the end, I really didn't feel too sad about it either. Winona is okay, but overall it failed to move me.
Michael G

December 6, 2006
This movie sucked but I got to look at Winona Ryder for a couple hours. So I don't care.
Leigh R

June 14, 2006
Good love story.
Dann M

December 17, 2011
Autumn in New York is a rather maudlin romance that tells an interesting story, but it focuses a little too much on symbolism and aesthetics. Richard Gere plays a New York playboy who gets more than he bargains for when he pursues a much younger woman who turns out to have a unique heart condition. Winona Ryder delivers her usual charm and good humor, but Richard Gere is just phoning it in. As a result, Gere and Ryder don't quite connect well enough to sell this unconventional romance. Additionally, the film itself does the story no favors by over saturating itself in symbolism and aesthetic designs that emphasize the themes. Still, it's not a bad picture and Gere and Ryder are both likable and sympathetic in their respective roles. Autumn in New York is an entertaining story that explores some interesting themes.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

October 11, 2011
Richard Geer plays an aging lothario who newest target is an extremely young Ryder who catches his eye one Autumn evening in New York City. The result of their instant attraction is a tempestuous affair which becomes complicated after he finds out that she is terminally ill. The originality of the plot was a bit predictable with this Renaissance woman and a modern day bachelor but the beautiful autumn scenery enveloped me in a bittersweet lovey-dovey atmosphere that sedated me like a cup of tea to make me temporarily forget about this romance mismatch and instead sympathize for the situation alone. It is an excellent movie for anyone who has ever read and thoroughly enjoyed a Harelequinesque novel.

One redeeming feature is the filming of New York. Just Beautiful!!
Yinalí R

January 18, 2008
Really liked it, but I've seen these types of movies before.
Sunil J

April 28, 2008
Aww, it's a love story. Oh...wait. *Dies

It had moments but I can't recommend it.
KeepGuessing
KeepGuessing

May 6, 2008
Tottaly unforgettable movie. The premise for the story just literally rips your heart out. The whole sense of impending tragedy that blankets the film from beginning 'till the teear-jecking end just keeps you utterly enthralled as you watch.
Lee K

iLeo

January 31, 2007
Good.
February 4, 2008
What the flying fuck is up with chick flick dramas? Autumn and the sick woman wit an unknown ailment. OK... she dies and the guy left behind changes because of her positive influence over him. How about a chick flick that destroys everyone when she lives and leaves things even worse after she dies?
ChGeor9
June 10, 2013
I liked the movie when it was in the theater. I watched it recently through NetFlix. I thought the actors were good in their roles.
jjb3332003
July 31, 2007
Much hokier than I remembered. Gere and Ryder have no chemistry. (A very good retake on Love Story)
September 9, 2007
He fell in love for the first time...
she fell in love forever

He taught her how to live. She taughthim to love.

Romantic drama about an aging playboy who falls for sweet, but terminally ill, young woman.
December 4, 2011
An average if only at that story about Will Keane (Gere) falling in love with Winona Ryder's character, Charlotte and maybe if it didn't continue to depress you for the entire movie, I maybe, maybe would of liked it. But again, maybe.
ColMongol
July 23, 2011
Before her shoplifting frenzy, she was quite the dish! Ah well, perhaps she can recuperate in later years to better recapture some of that faded glory. This was a charming picture, as it happens, nothing major, mind you. But it had it qualities. Now I'll leave it lay for some future connoisseur to regard it in 'tin-type' delight..
terris85017
terris85017

March 21, 2010
(2000 Director: Joan Chen) This movie is on TV right now...watching it (review to follow).Somewhat predictable story about a very ailing young lovely woman 9Winona Ryder) suffering from a brain tumour. Richard Gere plays her very fickle boyfriend who comes through for her in the end. (review to be continued)
angelsfairy87
June 23, 2007
I really tried to like this movie because my sister absolutely loves this film but i found myself making fun of it the whole way through. I mean i can't remember specifics but i do remember that the romance between Gere and Ryder was not believable at all. And i really did not enjoy Ryder's overall performance, though i should state i do enjoy most of her films this was not one of them at all.