Avalon

Avalon Reviews

deano
deano

November 29, 2009
This Mamoru Oshii's first live-action sci-fi motion picture is familiar as Blade Runner meets The Matrix and I thought this is worse and bloody dull I ever watched because it seemed not much exciting to me and bit confused. I suppose that you when you don't understand what the characters are talking about. Horrible, horrible, horrible acting kept distracting me all the time.
_kelly .

February 3, 2008
Was not at all disappointed. The key here is that in scenes set in the game, it feels set in a game and scenes set in "real realities" look real (though both the game and real worlds utilize the same effects palette, just producing starkly different results).

The story is also tops, but the intrigue of falling deeper into the game ultimately overshadows what the script props up as the character's real motivation.

I'm really suprised this film doesn't have more of a cult following. I highly recommend it to scifi fans, dystopia fans, gaming fans, technophreaks, VFX freeks, philosophy phreeks, animator/animation junkies, film-makers and just film fans.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

October 13, 2007
Mr Oshii, the next time write a book about the subject, or let someone else direct.
EightThirty .

October 3, 2007
This Movie is not 4 everyone ^_^
Drew S

February 10, 2007
Pretty, but also pretty stupid. No one in this movie can act worth a damn, especially Ash, who displays a range of emotions from A to A. She has the same blank stare on her face throughout the entire movie, no matter what happens; it might be to show that she's distanced from reality, but it's not a good directorial decision. The plot manages to make some sense, but is told very poorly, such as with massively long and pointless shots of Ash riding a train or making food. And the ending really sucks.

As I said before, the only vaguely interesting part about this movie is the visual presentation. Avalon is quite a neat-looking film.
Ross C

February 2, 2007
Weird Polish movie about a virtual reality computer game
Sylvester K

August 9, 2013
I am kind of confused about Avalon, it's an unique film about the effects of video games on people. The direction and cinematography were unique too, but I wasn't sure whether the uniqueness was a good thing or not, it started off quite well then it went downhill steadily. I got so bored of the second half of the film, it was literally intellectually challenging to watch.
alanjayh
alanjayh

April 12, 2010
This is a Japanese movie set in Poland of all places with pollish actors. I saw the english spoken version, and right away I could tell with their thick eastern european accent this movie was a bit strange. terrific visuals and similar in many ways to "the Matrix" and even a bit of "Tron". The acting is indeed wooden but at an hour forty minutes and interesting story, its worth watching. The ending is a bit opaque, however I believe its done purposely for you to decide what is reality and what is not.
Anthony V

June 29, 2007
Wow. A truly powerful movie.
sagosa
April 7, 2009
extraña combinacion, director japones filmando en ingles en polonia. El resultado es bueno pero no espectacular
Artcore17
January 20, 2009
Really not a bad movie. The biggest problem is that at times its downright boring. I realize this is to emphasize the barrenness of the world but it could have been done better. But for those few of you who like Matrix AND foreign films this is definitely worth seeing.
August 6, 2008
OK. Interesting premise? Check. Noteworthy director? Check. Decent Actors? Check. Story? ? Story? Aww to Hell with it. It?s close enough. That?s the thought process that I felt went into Mamoru Oshii?s Avalon. The whole idea and visuals of the film were great. I was just bored watching it.

Set in a not-too-distant future, the world is seemingly overrun by a virtual reality game called Avalon. There?s a risk to it though because some users are coming out of the game braindead. That?s OK though because it?s fun! The film follows Ash, a pro player searching for?something. She lives a very lonely life, but is feared and respected in the halls of Avalon. Someone from her past shows up and she sets out on some sort of adventure or something. To be honest, I lost interest by the time this happened, so I can?t really tell you what was going on by the end. On the surface it looks like the film is trying to discern what is more real; the game or reality?

Visually, the film is fantastic. It was made with this sort of hazy light surrounding the characters which gives many scenes a sort of dream-like quality, especially those seen in the game. In the outside world, things seem rather dry and boring showing that these players who can take out helicopters and tanks like it?s an every day thing can barely live a normal day-to-day life. The in-game scenes also feature some interesting effects such as the ?deaths? of characters as they suddenly become two dimensional and then disappear in a cloud of pixels. The game system itself, a horrible second cousin of a dentist?s chair looks rather impressive from a prop standpoint as well.

That?s about all I got out of the film though. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, but it didn?t. Things picked up a little bit towards the end of the film where Ash reaches a whole new level of gameplay that looks remarkably like the real world. I was faced with the question of whether or not she was really in a game. Unfortunately by that point I couldn?t care less. I wouldn?t recommend this film. If you like the premise and want to see something at least moderately interesting, check out the Anime series .hack//sign.
ilovenwyrk
June 6, 2008
Great example why other countries make better movies than Hollywood. The Matrix series was based on this movie, but didn't come close, did it?
lurple
April 12, 2008
For years we've been seeing animated films trying to come closer and closer to looking like real life. Avalon takes the opposite approach, taking a real film and making much of it look somewhat like an anime.

This Japanese and Polish film is quite interesting conceptually, combining impressive visuals and a stellar score with Arthurian myth and online gaming.

Despite the good points the film gets a bit draggy, and I found some of the direction downright irritating. For example, during the final showdown the camera repeatedly cuts to the opera that is performing the (admittedly great) climatic music in between shots of the showdown. Annoying.

Gamers may get a chuckle out of the characters attempts to gain experience points and the brief shots of their character sheets.
September 22, 2007
One of the best movies ever made. A gem that actually lives up to its reputation, and then provides even more. What's just as interesting as the plot though, is how neutered the American release was. Watch the original, then watch the American release, if you want to grasp just how strongly american distributors are still looking down on the population at large. Bad for most movies, but for one as beautiful as this it's a bit like slapping a new layer of paint over the mona lisa due to worries over american audiences desire to look at a woman who's not wearing a bikini and fighting alongside Will Smith.
November 29, 2007
A little slow, as far as action movies go, but that's okay since it's not a straight action movie. It's a cool idea, though.
November 18, 2007
cool Polish movie. kinda the oppisite of the Matrix. I enjoyed looking at this movie, and I like listening to polish spoken.
June 5, 2007
An exciting action sci-fi flick that might remind you of a few others (Matrix, anyone?), but it definately sets itself apart with it's own originality and unique spirit. It's a visual feast, and would be almost as good if it were a silent film.
LamestGuyEver
May 20, 2007
Visually, one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. The storyline moves by at a lethargic pace, but manages to be an interesting plot regardless.