Avalon Reviews

April 21, 2015
A more cerebral version of The Matrix. Mamoru Oshii's Avalon is not a film for every one. Its very slow paced, filled to the brim with the discussions about the nature of reality and did I mentioned, slow paced? However, for fans of more thought provoking SciFi will enjoy this film. Personally, I think that it is Mamoru Oshii's own reaction to The Matrix, which itself was inspired by his masterpiece, Ghost in the Shell.
½ March 9, 2015
Avalon, as directed by Mamoru Oshii, was a live action spiritual successor to Ghost in the Shell, but it just didn't connect the same way. Whereas Ghost in the Shell asked big questions about humanity, the soul and technology, this film failed to grab my interest in any way. The visuals are purposely filled with a monochromatic bloom effect, but they just end up looking muddled and distracting. There is absolutely no emotion in the film, which turns out to be a fatal flaw seeing as the lead character is looking for the meaning in her life. This is neither an action film, nor a drama, it falls somewhere in the middle, leaving it stranded between interests. Instead of combing the genres, it rejected them. The acting was terrible, the little music that was in the film was unmemorable and the effects were laughable. Surprisingly, the direction was one of the weakest aspects of the film, something that may have something to do with the director only having worked on animated films to that point. Either way, this one is not recommended to anyone, unless out of morbid curiosity. 1.5 out of 5 stars.
½ October 16, 2014
The end is dominated by the music, which is powerful.
½ August 7, 2008
The third act is kinda cool, but it looks like dogshit for most of its length.
January 14, 2014
I know i have seen that film when it was released at the theaters but i can't recall anything about it... i'll have to watch it again...memory do fade away with time... plus the fact that i have seen so many films in my life i sometimes forget a few of them.... human after all.
½ August 9, 2013
I am kind of confused about Avalon, it's an unique film about the effects of video games on people. The direction and cinematography were unique too, but I wasn't sure whether the uniqueness was a good thing or not, it started off quite well then it went downhill steadily. I got so bored of the second half of the film, it was literally intellectually challenging to watch.
March 9, 2013
This movie is very much in the style of Mamoru Oshii's other films most notably Ghost in the Shell. It's a very artistic film in its use of color filters (like the matrix), and its attention to the little details of the environment combined with the music which really suits the film and sets the perfect mood. I was sure this movie rated 3/5 stars at best until the climax, where I really wanted to give it 4/5 stars but it just didn't quite make it there. The acting is is sub par with it's only saving grace being the thick accents of the actors disguising the somewhat cheesy dialogue. The movie was good and is worth a watch, if you are into sci-fi movies specifically ones related to the question of "what is reality?" (also very similar to the matrix). If the movie had a higher budget, a lot more character develoment, and you could ignore the fact that this type of movie has been done many times before, it could have been a great movie, worthy of 4 maybe even 5 stars. The cinematography was great and it was not too heavy on speacial effects which is good because I think that could have really hurt the movie. If you like slow paced movies that make you think and are a fan of computer related sci-fi with a little bit of mystery then you will enjoy this film.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
October 24, 2012
I have to agree with James Cameron's opinion that this is one of the most artistic, stylish sci-fi movie to date. Although made like a low budget film and a super slow pace which can be a sore boredom, it is very surreal not just in a high form of art but it leaves a lot of food for thought. Whether reality is what it seems or what is the real setting behind this movie? What is actually going on behind Ash's real character? The more you think about it the more this movie offers many versions of interpretation. This is one of those films where you will get a different conclusion every time you re-watch it. Brilliant
October 18, 2012
La primera incursion de Mamoru Oshii en cine "real" es, rara, extraña... no se si trata de algun tipo de cine experimental, una ecuacion que el espectador debe despejar o que... pero me gusta. La atmosfera lo es todo, la propuesta es interesante y encuadrable en la mejor linea de sci-fi, los resultados son originales, pero, se queda corta en todos los aspectos. Una lastima, puesto se queda en una peli interesante pero algo aburrida y sin trascendencia.
½ September 7, 2012
Avalon is from 2001 right? So why does it look like a tv-movie from 1994? It came out two years after The Matrix so it's not like good SFX weren't possible in 2001. Worse still, people actually think this is a visually stunning movie! What a dreery, boring mess of a movie this is. Apart from sub-standard CGI of SFX the acting is crap, the story is boring, the so called plot twist is lame and... and... and... well it might make a good movie if it's re-done
September 5, 2012
I think Jerry recommended this to me? Not sure this is actually it.
June 18, 2012
bon film qui fait réfléchir sur le concept réalité virtuel et l'addictions aux jeux vidéos. Une belle fable geek futuriste! :)
April 7, 2012
A very interesting movie -- sparse on plot, big on film details, and quite the unexpected twist towards the end.
½ January 3, 2012
It will surprise you if you take the time to be slowly pulled into the action. Don't expect bloody action scenes, for you wont get them. Expect great photography in a slow pace rhythm that will astound you in the last 10 minutes.
½ December 30, 2005
Make you think a lot. Pretty good storyline.
½ July 4, 2010
Film de geek par excellence, Avalon déçoit tout d'abord par son scénario de bas étage. Immergé dans un jeu vidéo, une bande de jeunes n'a qu'un but, accédez à la "classe spéciale de niveau A". Super, non?
Comme, en plus, le réalisateur a de drôles d'idées et que la musique est pas jolie-jolie, le moins qu'on puisse dire est que le résultat n'est pas des meilleurs. Les acteurs réussissent malgré tout à se motiver (on se demande comment...), c'est le seul point positif.
October 9, 2011
Good ... in a better-than-it's-supposed-to-be film school project-level production sort of way.
June 28, 2011
Avalon... The land where heroes live forever
May 3, 2011
Excellent Polish treatment of sci-fi fantasy. Loved the photography and overall feel of the film. The fact that I could understand some of the dialogue added to my enjoyment of it!