83%

Critic Review - At the Movies

I had the feeling coming out of this movie that I haven't felt since maybe I was eleven years old in 1977 and I saw Star Wars for the first time.

December 21, 2009 Full Review Source: At the Movies | Comments (58)
At the Movies
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Orlando O.

Orlando Ortega

I agree, rarely a movie can accomplish this. No movie is perfect so to all the critics out there: just shut up and enjoy it.

Dec 24 - 01:51 PM

Anthony C.

Anthony Condelucci

Godfather and Godfather 2 were seamless. I've never seen 2 movies so perfect. You could beg to differ, but in my opinion (and the vast majority) it is true.

Jan 12 - 12:50 AM

Mega M.

Mega Mike

whoa whoa whoa you mean when you were 11 years old in 1999 right? lol. DOn't get mad at me Avatards, I am not a hater of the film. I paid my 14.50.. enjoyed the show, but Star Wars? Let the film really process in your mind for AT LEAST a month or two before you make a claim like that. I mean you can't just come barging out of the theatre and say something like that.

Dec 30 - 12:50 AM

Greg H.

Greg Hile

Amen

Jan 4 - 01:22 PM

Cyrus K.

Cyrus Kandawalla

Nobody is comparing this movie to Star Wars. AO said he had the same feeling after seeing it.

I have the same feeling after eating pizza as I do after eating burgers (I'm full) doesn't mean they are the same.

Jan 6 - 11:23 AM

Elizabeth L.

Elizabeth L

I honestly don't think that James Cameron had THAT MUCH of a strong feeling towards humans destroying nature or whatever that he decided to make a 300 Million Dollar Production on it. Do people seriously think 20th Century Fox would endorse something like that if it was ONLY to "Send a message"?? Puh-lease. We're talking about how the entire film was constructed, directed, produced...etc. Every person involved in that movie put 110% into it. If people seriously think that all James Cameron wanted to do was "send a message", you must have not been really watching the movie. How many people actually pay 15 bucks to sit in a movie theater and judge films on what political bias its trying to force down your throat?
Its a movie and I totally agree with A.O. Scott's comment. I had that same feeling I haven't felt in years.

Jan 9 - 01:42 PM

Ryan Jewell

Ryan Jewell

yea th feeling on one dimensial characters and a disney plot

Nov 4 - 01:11 AM

Anthony C.

Anthony Condelucci

Visually, I was blown away and the story was fine. However, a script that sits in a desk for a little over a decade probably could have used a little more revision. Don't get me wrong, it's plot was sound and thoroughly entertaining, but the story's setup has been milked (you cannot deny it). Similar concepts have tarnished it's ultimate outcome. If Cameron wanted to create a true juggernaut he could have cut the cheesiness (not the environmentalist sentiments - which was impressive on a level seldom realize yet - and drama), but the CHEESINESS.
An additional "legitimate" plot-twist and light reconstruction could have boosted it's already astounding replay value. It could have also edged out Oscar competition (Up In The Air and The Hurt Locker). However, leaving Avatar as is makes it more than common movie entertainment. It creates a new and unique experience and, perhaps more importantly, it stands as a revolutionary step in cinematic history. A contemporary cornerstone comparable to sci-fi and epic movies like Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Aliens and Terminator. And of course, it is only fair that it is second to Cameron's "Titantic" in worldwide box office rankings (let's check back in a month to see if Avatar toppled it).

Epic.

Jan 12 - 12:46 AM

Lukemitch25

Luke M

What's funny is the comparisons of Avatar and Disney's Pocahontas are actually more accurate than the whole Dances With Wolves comparison.

Avatar was meant to be a live-action cartoon. Like The Wizard of Oz was meant to be the live-action equivalent of Snow White, Avatar is the live-action equivalent of Disney's Pocahontas. And, there's obviously NOTHING wrong with that.

Anyway, Avatar is the new Wizard of Oz, 2001 and Star Wars. Deal with it, folks.

Jul 12 - 03:44 PM

Tee Bear

Tee Bear

Star Wars, 2001 and The Wizard of Oz are all on AFI's Top 100--Avatar never will be. Deal with that.

Jul 26 - 03:38 AM

Kimi Derousse

Kimi Derousse

OMG!!..I said that EXACT same thing to my son the other day when he asked me why I loved Avatar so much (& watch it a lot..lol) ..I told him that it took me back to my childhood & how I felt watchin Star Wars for the first time!.. truly, Avatar is magical!!

Sep 17 - 07:31 PM

Ap Ghosh

Ap Ghosh

idk how anyone can say they were bored by this film this was an amazing film that represented alot of the current issues going on in our world today. I know people are going to criticize and have there own opinion about what Im saying and I respect that, however in my opinion I feel like this movie truly shows how truly ugly humanity is. And its spot on true. How many of us who watched this movie wished that they could live in a world as Pandora. Cameron did an excellent jobs tickling our imaginations and filling us with emotion as the film went on. Not to mention the 5 star graphics and animation that rivals star wars. Great job James Cameron is officially my favorite movie and dont think Ill get tired of it no matter how many times I watch it.

Nov 23 - 11:41 PM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

the first matrix was the best sci-fi ever made

Sep 14 - 07:52 AM

Cody H.

Cody Halpert

So giant blue monkeys shooting arrows at giant metal suits reminded you of Star Wars, are you sure you aren't thinking of Smurfs Gone Wild?

Oct 4 - 03:43 PM