Critics Consensus: Avatar Is Certified Fresh

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got a strange alien world (James Cameron's Avatar, starring Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana), and a couple on the run (Did You Hear about the Morgans?, starring Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker). What do the critics have to say? Avatar is one of the most hotly anticipated films in years, for a number of reasons: it marks James Cameron's return to fiction filmmaking after a long layoff; its motion capture techniques were the subject of intense pre-release press; and it's the most expensive movie ever made. And now, the verdict is in: critics say Avatar is indeed a visionary picture. Back to Article

Comments

Losingsleep

L T

Just saw Avatar, it's gonna make money... period.

Dec 18 - 12:59 PM

Cutler to the rescue

Ted kruts

Okay Ashron the characters in Avatar are not the most realistic characters ever seen nor is the landscape the most detailed and realistic committed to film. Try again.

P.S. Why am i not allowed to hate this movie yet you guys were allowed to rant over and over and over about how bad Transformers 2 was even though most of you have never seen it? Can you say hypocrite?

Dec 18 - 01:02 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

@The NewHampshire Database
"Ntrost, when are you gonna stop sleeping in the fridge? We get it, you think it's awesome even though you haven't seen it. Quit trying to push your opinion on everyone else."

Dude, what the heckfire are you talking about? I wasn't even saying anything about the film in general let alone giving an opinion about the film. I was questioning someone's thought process & talking about the T-Meter & critcs. I haven't expressed anything of my thoughts on "Avatar". Why are you even on a message board if you can't comprehend what others are saying? Your post is a incomprehensible dunce-like injudicious statement. Get thee to a nunnery.

Dec 18 - 01:03 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Bed Head, it depends. $85 million is an outstanding opening for December. In fact, it it makes that much it will beat I Am Legend for all-time December opening. (I Am Legend made $77 million). Then it will have the Christmas Holiday to make more money, since it's only real competition will be Sherlock Holmes. I think it will do well over Christmas because, certain people's assertions aside, this is a movie families will go to see. I think it will have good legs due to positive word of mouth. Will it be the overall box office champion of the year? Hard to say, but it should do quite well for itself. The budget people keep tossing around is inflated because much of that was put into developing the technology and, as an R&D, can be a writeoff for the studio (or Cameron's company, not sure who footed the bill)

So, $85 million is a potentially disastrous opening, but I predict the movie will have great legs and perform well for several weeks.

Note these are just my opinions and should no way be construed as fact or gospel.

Dec 18 - 01:06 PM

Bed Head

Ekaterina Kutznetsova

Oh, okay, Ashron. Thank you so much for the detailed answer. And what you say seems to make a lot of sense.

Of course, then again, this might be the most-heavily hyped/advertised December opening ever, as well.

So, still, I can't help but wonder if 20th Century Fox (and Cameron) are suddenly second-guessing scheduling so close to "The Squeakuel"?

Just joking!

Sorta.

Dec 18 - 01:14 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I gotta agree with Ashron Bedhead, James Camerons movies don't always take the traditional path to blockbustery i.e. they don't always have huge openings then gradually fade to nothing. I think Titanic didn't hit it high tide til it's 4th or 6th week. Given Titanic was a freak of nature, but the fact remains that with Cameron it's more often about legs than opening.

Dec 18 - 01:34 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

lol. Sure thing, bro. No sparkles for you.

But look here, grown men don't play when it comes to their bladders, right? And let me put it like this, I had to piss for an hour n 1/2 watching Avatar last night. Now way was I trying to miss a moment of it!

Allow me reiterate what I earlier said in a harsher tone (lol), anyone who dares to say Transformers 2 was anywhere near this film's level of achievement needs to be slapped in the face with an iron glove.

Dec 18 - 01:11 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

LOL @ Matanuki...that's why I intend to go into the movie fully dehydrated!

Dec 18 - 02:40 PM

Bed Head

Ekaterina Kutznetsova

Just joking!

Sorta.

Dec 18 - 01:14 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 18 - 01:34 PM

Thats No MooN

joshua zimmer

RT ryan which one of you guys are always on preston and steve

Dec 18 - 01:28 PM

Cutler to the rescue

Ted kruts

Really ashron please explain why little kids and families would see it? Are you insane?

You are right Matanuki, the CGI in Transformers 2 is sooooooooooooooooooo much better than the CGI in Avatar. You fail again.

Lets see obviously it is going to win this weekend but next weekend is tricky. The guys and gals and families will want to see Sherlock Holmes, the kids will want to see Alvin and Princess and the Frog and Sherlock Holmes, the film crowd will want to see Nine, Up in the Air, SHerlock Holmes, Women will want to see Nine, older people will want to see Its Complicated. Avatar will be lucky to be number one two weeks in a row.

Dec 18 - 01:31 PM

Cutler to the rescue

Ted kruts

Oh and does it suck to know that New Moon might make more money opening weekend than Avatar, the movie that will change cinema forever?

Dec 18 - 01:32 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

You really didn't like Avatar Cutler? I'm a bit surprised by that. I thought it was the same kind of movie as Transformers 2 only a bit more cohesive in its plot. It had spectacular visuals and epic battle sequences and a simple plot. I get the dislike for the anti-military tones, but ya gotta remember it's a work of fiction and in the context of the directors film it was totally believable and I think even people who support the military would agree that abuse of power as depicted in Avatar is not a good thing and not really the ideals that military institutions SHOULD stand for, though in history they often have.

Dec 18 - 01:39 PM

Paints Hz Shirt Red

krookedlegs Eagle Tail

I just seen it, great movie and bad *** cgi. Cutler i would recommend going to see the film if your still gonna bash it for bad cgi.

Dec 18 - 01:43 PM

Devon B.

Devon Barnett

Oh does it suck to know Avatar is going to make its money back?

Oh does it suck that DrManhatten destroyed you in this forum on every single one of your points?

Oh does it suck that you still haven't been able to PROVE your quote from Fox and Jim Cameron for claiming Avatar is "god's gift to cinema"?

Oh does it suck that you still CANT prove that A PERCENTAGE, ANY PERCENTAGE for that matter--of the 96% of top critics who gave Avatar a positive rating were bought off by studios?

Oh does it suck to know that Avatar's tech has ALREADY changed the future of cinema...with RIDLEY, SPIELBERG and P. JACKSON committed to use it for their own film projects?

Oh does it suck to know that no matter how much you want it...no matter how much you need it...no matter how much you beg for it...AVATAR's critical overall approval rating is in no danger?

Oh does it suck to know that you are universally a joke on all-things Avatar on this forum?

Oh does it just suck that you CAN'T answer EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE?

Dec 18 - 01:51 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 18 - 01:34 PM

rt-ryan

Ryan Fujitani

That's No Moon, I'm not completely aware of all the different shows he does, but you're probably thinking of our editor-in-chief, Matt.

Dec 18 - 01:35 PM

Cutler to the rescue

Ted kruts

Well it will need some hell of legs to make up for its somewhat lackluster first weekend. I mean it has a ton of competition coming up and now a days movies are not kept in the theater as long as they used to be.

Dec 18 - 01:37 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Cutler, feel free to name me any other movie where the characters and environment have looked as lifelike.

Oh, that's right, you can't yet because you haven't seen the movie. Well when, and if, you do, then tell me something that looks better. And don't say Transformers, those were machines. The effects in Transformers were amazing, no question about it. But they were machines which are (relatively) easier to do. Tell me a movie where humanoid creatures have such life-like eyes, where you can actually see veins and muscle movement and translucency in the skin. The closest I can even think of is Gollum.

And I don't have a problem with you hating the movie. That's certainly your right and everyone's entitled to their opinion. I would be willing to bet we like a lot more of the same movies than we don't.

But not liking something doesn't give you the right, and I don't know why you feel the need, to s**t on everyone else's opinion and their enjoyment in the film. They like it, you don't. Leave it at that and don't feel like you have to be a twit and go HAHAHAHA all the time. You have valid opinions and I don't mind having a debate with you, but when devolve into name calling and the "I'm right/you're wrong" mentality, then it just becomes an exercise in futility and I have no interest in continuing a discussion. I have a feeling I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

Dec 18 - 01:37 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 18 - 01:39 PM

Cory

Cory B

~Why am i not allowed to hate this movie yet you guys were allowed to rant over and over and over about how bad Transformers 2 was even though most of you have never seen it? Can you say hypocrite?~

Cutler is really reaching here. Transformers 2 was the highest grossing film of the year. More people went to see that movie in the theaters than Star Trek or Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Hate to break it to you, Cutler, but odds are most people on this thread HAVE seen Transformers 2.

Dec 18 - 01:42 PM

Paints Hz Shirt Red

krookedlegs Eagle Tail

Dec 18 - 01:43 PM

Cutler to the rescue

Ted kruts

Hmmm Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park 1,2,3 , Harry Potter franchise, Star Trek, The Star Wars prequels, etc. Do you want me to continue?

Big Brother i refuse to see Avatar since it does not look entertaining at all, i am not going to waste 14 bucks to see it, or 24 bucks if i want to see it in the nice theater. The anti-military thing is always around in Camerons films, he is a radicall douche that has no idea what he is talking about. You remember when he did a documentary where they thought that they found Jesus's tomb? He went on and on about how it is fact and how he is correct and when historians proved him wrong he failed to admit it. He is an egotistical tool.

Dec 18 - 01:46 PM

Rick Blaine

Max Salling

If you have a problem with James Cameron, go ahead and nominate him for biggest douche in the universe. Hell, it worked with John Edward. But I don't see what this has to do with Avatar. I'm going to reserve judgment until after I've seen the film, and I suggest you do the same. You may or may not be right about the effects and the quality of the film as a whole, but I don't understand how your arguments hold water when they are based on trailers.

Dec 18 - 02:50 PM

Cutler to the rescue

Ted kruts

Dec 18 - 01:47 PM

Cory

Cory B

Really Cutler? You think so? I doubt it. A lot of the people here liked the first one, and have said so in the past. You're saying "They didn't see Transformers 2" like it's a fact. It just isn't. Check out their profiles. I'll bet a few of them have full reviews of Transformers 2 posted.

Heck, the whole movie's on Youtube, so even the Bay haters could see it for free.

Dec 18 - 01:56 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

"Most people on this board did not see T2 because of their irrational hatred of Bay."

Are you making up facts again? You've made up so many on this forum alone...dude...you should just log off for the day and give up commenting on Avatar threads, because it's actually getting embarrassing. That's not a malicious demand...it's a suggestion out of pity. Please consider it.

First, to claim "most people on this board" did not see it...is 100% Grade A ignorant.

How would you ever claim to know?

I saw it. I saw it three times (mostly because my son liked the machines). I even reviewed it for the local paper here in England. My co-workers saw it.

I assure you there's nothing irrational about not liking Transformers 2 or Michael Bay.

Dec 18 - 02:07 PM

Devon B.

Devon Barnett

Oh does it suck to know Avatar is going to make its money back?

Oh does it just suck that you CAN'T answer EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE?

Dec 18 - 01:51 PM