Box Office Guru Wrapup: Avatar Continues Its Run In 2010

Summary

Over the first weekend of 2010, moviegoers still had their minds on the year 2154 as James Cameron's futuristic 3D adventure Avatar easily remained number one for a third consecutive frame breaking records and smashing the $1 billion global box office milestone in the process. With no new releases, the top ten was filled with the same movies as some dropped harder than others while a small handful enjoyed sales boosts thanks to Friday being a holiday for New Year's Day. The Top 20 grossed a scorching $220M kicking off the new decade on the right note. Back to Article

Comments

Grounder At the Movies

TVB Robotnik

Avatar's a smashing success, in my opinion! It's an incredible movie that James Cameron ever made.

Jan 3 - 08:29 AM

The Reaper

Iron Will

I am happy about Avatar cuz this means a sequel is on the way! Ya! They could be greenlighting it at any time. Cameron has stated he already has the story lined up, he just has to write it. The Master is back and better than ever. Can't wait to watch Avatar on blu-ray. It will be the crown jewel in anyone's movie collection.

Jan 3 - 09:01 AM

Andrew W.

Andrew Whitefield

I can't imagine how there could be an Avatar 2. But if anyone knows how to do a sequel it's James Cameron. Just look at Aliens and Terminator 2 for an example of one-upping and out doing their respective predecessors.

Jan 4 - 02:10 PM

the train

Vinnie Oliveri

movie grosses ought to be compared to a baseline value of a movie ticket or dollars. it costs $11.25 to see a movie in san diego. when spider-man 2 came out, a ticket was $10. so the comparing these grosses seems silly to me. with inflation, a movie could do the exact same amount of business as one released 10 years ago but claim to have outgrossed it.

Jan 3 - 09:20 AM

earthbound

Michael Fortner

The early estimate for Avatar is over $68 million for the weekend, so inflation will have no role in the record falling.

Jan 3 - 09:24 AM

thad s.

thad stevens

i absolutely do agree that when an article compares movie grosses the way this one does, that extra information would be pretty useful and interesting.

Jan 3 - 12:03 PM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

the train: That's why they mentioned that while Avatar beat Spider-Man for 3rd week gross, it did also sell more tickets, more than half a million more. The proof of how well it's liked though is also in the drops, and the fact that it's made well over $10 million per day for each day it's been out. Also, remember that Avatar was released in under 4,000 theaters unlike other films like Transformers 2 which see well over 4,000 theaters for their release. Here in Green Bay, it's still selling out, and I'm hearing that's the case in other locations too.

Jan 3 - 04:42 PM

nick d.

nick drabbuh

i think the best thing about avatar is that literally everyone is going to see it. the first time i went and saw it there were 2 65-75 year old women there watching it. they werent there with their grandkids or anything, they actually were there paying money to watch a sci-fi 3D movie with blue aliens and mech warriors.

yes SENIOR CITIZEN WOMEN watching a sci-fi 3D movie in the theater

and they loved it

while i would very easily say that i think the dark knight was a better movie, i dont even remember the experience of going and seeing that movie in the theater, whereas i have a good long conversation with someone new almost every day about what a great experience it was watching avatar in 3d

in an economy where in one click away from this page i can download any movie i want, i went and paid money twice to see avatar in the theaters, i know quite a few people that normally dont go to the movies have also gone and seen it twice, and i know a LOT of people that are already waiting to buy the dvd box set with 3d-glasses

avatar really wasnt about the writing, the acting, the dialogue. you were COMPLETELY drawn into the world by the directing and camera work i think unlike any film ive ever seen before, and that was with what? 99% of the movie being cgi?

thats NEVER been done before, and cameron succeeded even with the 65 and over FEMALE crowd

Jan 4 - 08:53 PM

DKUK

Derrick Wong

Here in China, there's huge buzz about this movie. When I went to the cinema here, the theatre was full and that was during the daytime when everyone is back at work; as for the evening shows, well they were rammed. Alot of people in China want to see the movie in the cinema for the experience, cos they can't replicate it by buy their 5 yuan fake DVD. I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks records even here in China.

I heard that had to delay the opening in Avatar here because some think, they didn't want Chinese films' BO being affected by Avatar during the peak holiday period. ;o)

Jan 4 - 09:08 PM

earthbound

Michael Fortner

This is the weekend preview from Thursday, not the weekend wrap-up.

Jan 3 - 09:23 AM

earthbound

Michael Fortner

Hey! Now it isn't. They made me look like a fool. I am so very sad.

Jan 3 - 04:50 PM

earthbound

Michael Fortner

Jan 3 - 09:24 AM

whoooop

whoooop ruiz

I wonder if haters will show their faces from now on... ;)

Jan 3 - 09:35 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Of course they'll show their faces. Coming up with new ways to demean the success of this movie is their pastime. And if we keep feeding the trolls they will have no reason to leave.

Avatar is an amazing success, regardless of its box office performance. But the stellar numbers are merely icing on an already impressive cake.

Jan 3 - 09:53 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

"Coming up with new ways to demean the success of this movie is their pastime."

Agreed. The 1.02 billion in 17 days has presented a bit of a pickle to the haters. But, like a turd you can't flush, trust me...they'll keep coming back to stink up the forum!

Jan 3 - 11:27 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Jan 3 - 09:53 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

"Coming up with new ways to demean the success of this movie is their pastime."

Jan 3 - 11:27 AM

Justin k.

Justin k

Avatar will remain very strong for another month.
Lively Avatar fansite: www.Naviblue.com

Jan 3 - 09:57 AM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

It costs 11.25 to see a movie for 1 person? We don't even pay that much here in Washington after 4pm. Why should they count for inflation just because they rape you were you live?

Jan 3 - 09:58 AM

inactive user

Jared King

I saw "Avatar" on Wednesday. The theater was packed, the movie was in 3D, and my mind was blown. I had healthy doubts about it. And it still stands, never take hype seriously, even if the movie rocks. If I wanna see a movie, I don't need the Internet to tell me how cool it looks. And if I don't, the hype machine won't make a difference. That being said, "Avatar" does live up to the promises it made. It's not perfect, but it's a damn incredible sci-fi. 9/10.

Jan 3 - 10:34 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

I heard that in AVATAR 2 "the white man" will team-up with the "blue tree-monkeys" to fight off a bunch of PREDATORS!!!!! ha ha ha ha
AVATAR is the BEST RACIST MOVIE to date--I loved it!!!!!!!

being "part savage" myself and actually having heard "the white man" refer to Iraqis and Afghanastan peoples as "savages" (and worse)

I WAS OVER-JOYED to see "the savages" (the na'vi") actually FIGHT BACK and "STICK IT TO 'THE MAN'!!! //

AVATAR's too "anti-American" and polarizing to be Best Picture . . . but JAMES CAMERON IS THE BEST DIRECTOR!!!!

AVATAR . . . best racist movie ever/having both "savage" and "white man" ancestry/blood in my veins; AVATAR hits the nail on the head

"blue tree monkey savages" !!!!!!
GIOVANNI RIBSI as PARKER is the BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR OF THE YEAR
Giovanni CAPTURED exactly what "the white man" thinks about what "the white man" thinks about us "savages"
ha ha ha ha ha . . . AVATAR . . . . I LOVE IT!

Jan 3 - 10:38 AM

Armond? Is that you?

Dude...the shoe totally fits...

Jan 3 - 11:23 AM

Stark Industrialist

Daniel Morris

I think that definitely has to be Armond in disguise. I mean, in his review he talked about how the movie's all about the white man's need to assuage his racial and sexual (sexual?!?) guilt. What a complete moron.

Jan 3 - 11:44 AM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr.: How is the movie racist? I don't get people saying that. I think calling Avatar racist is a ridiculous statement.

Jan 3 - 04:46 PM

rwaunlea

Dave K

Gordon Franklin you dont get it. The movie is racist because as with all 'blockbuster' hollywood movies, the natives are pretty much dumb and helpless until a white man joins their ranks and presto, he organises them into an effective force.

The white man wins again and stereotypes are further reinforced!

And T45red the haters have an easy line. Its the 3D effect people are shelling out tickets for, not the movie itself. Avatar was always going to clean up at the box office, cinema was at risk in recent years and was desperate for a new "thing", and they got it.

Jan 4 - 12:09 AM

T45Red

Mitchell Nash

I doubt it was just the 3D effect that is getting people to come see the movie. It's become an event film. Yes, I too had beef with the story and I'm not saying it's the greatest or anything special, which it isn't. It just works well enough for me with this movie [I enjoyed it more the 2nd time watching and the story seemed to fit better in the realm of the world].

Still, you can't neglect that its having an amazing box office run. Having a 3D/largely CGI film doesn't mean that it would hold so well and do so well at the box office [compare it to other 3D/CGI movies]. It's getting strong word of mouth and awesome box office because its an experience, not solely because its 3D.

Also, I wasn't going to comment about the movie being racist, but I will anyway. When I viewed the movie I didn't see anything racist being portrayed. The Na'vi aren't dumb and helpless. They're very spiritually bound and connected to their surroundings and their planet. Also, they're warriors, so they're not helpless. Its just our technology was far more advanced than theirs.

Independence Day was 'racist' against the human race because we were too 'dumb and helpless' to defend ourselves against an advanced alien race. Now, while we didn't get an alien on our side to help fight, we did use their own advanced technology against them to defeat them in the end.

Jan 4 - 02:25 AM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

rwaulea: Seriously, you're playing that racist card?! You mean because of the fact that the natives trained Jake teaching him their ways, really teaching him to become a man, and he wanted to be apart of them so bad that he did everything he could to go against his own kind and save them that the movie is racist! The fact that Jake found their way of life so much better than his old life speaks for the Na'vi and against the white men he came with. Your statement shows ignorance.

Jan 4 - 06:34 PM

Johnny D.

Johnny Dee

What are you wasting your time on here for? Don't you have someone's tree to blow up?

Jan 5 - 04:31 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Thanks for reminding me, I'll be sure to list you as my accomplice when the tree police take me in :)

Jan 5 - 04:36 PM

Paints Hz Shirt Red

krookedlegs Eagle Tail

i wouldnt lower myself to call my people savages.

Jan 3 - 11:02 AM

Armond? Is that you?

Dude...the shoe totally fits...

Jan 3 - 11:23 AM

Stark Industrialist

Daniel Morris

Jan 3 - 11:44 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

"Coming up with new ways to demean the success of this movie is their pastime."

Jan 3 - 11:27 AM

MountRussmore

Russ Reilly

Went to see Avatar for the 2nd time yesterday with the kids. What struck me in the almost-full theater was the demographics- there were a lot of older couples, groups of women, a healthy amount of racial and ethnic diversity, all coming out to see this sci-fi movie. This certainly explains the big numbers- and if that doesn't qualify Avatar as a cultural "phenomenon", I don't know what would....

Jan 3 - 11:33 AM

Stark Industrialist

Daniel Morris

Jan 3 - 11:44 AM

BatsInTheBelfry

Derek Meadors

Finally saw Avatar (in 3D) yesterday, it was a sold out show and we had to get there over an hour early for good seats. Now, I've been on the fence about the movie since I heard of it, and while I won't say it's the best movie ever, or even in my top 10 for the year, it is a movie that MUST be seen in the theater. I liked it, I'm glad I saw it, and I'd recommend others to see it. It's very heavy-handed at times, and the dialog could've used another run-through, but the experience is something you can't recreate on home video, no matter how nice of a setup you have.

Jan 3 - 11:57 AM

Avatar S.

Avatar Sucks

I registered for these boards just so I could express how bad Avatar is. Aside from the beautiful look and amazing special effects of the film, it is a terrible movie. Terrible screenplay, terrible dialogue, terrible acting, zero character development and no nuance. I was literally bored to tears for the first hour. There were so many plot holes and lapses in logic that I don't know how anyone with half a brain could stand it.
Honestly how does Cameron get away with making a terrible movie and we all praise him but we all hate Michael Bay for making the same type of movie? In all honesty, I enjoyed Transformers alot more than Avatar. At least Transformers had Meagan Fox.

Jan 3 - 11:57 AM

Well hello there Cutler!

You're becoming the Time Lord of RT, CaptainofTeamLoyalty/Cutler/Avatar.

Come on.

SUBTLETY dude! Subtlety!

When the only person on RT who praises Michael Bay's Transformers over Avatar is Cutler...you've got to work on your Alt a little more effectively.

Now...hurry along and log back on as Cutler to continue your transparent ruse!

Jan 3 - 04:10 PM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

Don't Tase Me Bro: I didn't think about that before I commented. If I would have taken a second longer to write my post it probably would have occured to me that that was Captain.

Jan 3 - 05:00 PM

earthbound

Michael Fortner

"Registered for these boards just so I..." sounds a lot like "Got banned for trolling and created a new account just to..."

Jan 3 - 04:54 PM

T45Red

Mitchell Nash

So, again, these weekend averages are low for Avatar. It's not going to make $56 million. It'll be more than that. I do realize, though, that these are estimates from earlier in the week. Anyway, I want some Avatar haters to come onto this forum and explain these box office numbers to us.

Jan 3 - 11:57 AM

thad s.

thad stevens

i am just mystified by people who get their dander up hating a movie, fer chissakes! get a life already. i enjoyed 'avatar'. do i think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, etc? no, but it was a lot of fun and that's what movies are supposed to be: entertainment. period. these folks, if they weren't screaming about 'avatar', it'd be something else. this sort of stuff gives their crappy lives some meaning, i guess.

Jan 3 - 12:02 PM

Avatar S.

Avatar Sucks

I agree: movies are for entertainment. But if you were entertained by Avatar then maybe you're tge ibe who has the problem.

Avatar is terrible.

Jan 3 - 12:06 PM

thad s.

thad stevens

what's wrong with people like you who honestly seem to think that only YOUR opinions count? it's really sad.

Jan 4 - 08:58 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Thad S. you are aware that what you say also applies to you, yes?

You're expressing your view that people should just loosen up and enjoy a movie. You criticize others who, to paraphrase, act as if only their views count, and yet you seem to be wanting everyone to change their standards for enjoyment to yours.

My standards of enjoyment of a movie are likely different than yours. I express my views, but I don't beat up others because they don't agree with me. I personally prefer smarter movies than the average fare, and that lends to my sense of enjoyment.

Jan 4 - 03:34 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

But does it have to be an either/or proposition?

I enjoy rich, complex story telling as well as dense plotting, top notch acting and dramatic dialogue. I also enjoy lobster and brandy.

But sometimes I enjoy pure cinema...which can be purely visceral. Just as I sometimes enjoy a Big Mac and a Coke.

One does not have to choose between just one or the other...so why make the argument that you can't?

I mean really, the only films you like are densely plotted?

You don't like Star Wars?

Jan 4 - 05:56 PM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

"Others, in contrast, may like very simple movies, and not care for good acting, good storylines, but care more for action, quick-cut editing and lots of CGI, and that's their prerogative."

...and some may like both smart movies and simple movies, or a combination of both. Of course I realize you didn't say one had to like one or the other exclusively, but the implication is there. One can enjoy simple movies and still care about good acting and storylines, it's a question of whether or not one can tolerate weaknesses in some areas in order to enjoy other aspects which are more effective. I love action movies; I'd certainly prefer if they were well acted and have engaging stories in addition to good action, but if either of those two areas are lacking it does not necessarily preclude me from liking the movie at all; if the action is effective enough, I can tolerate some shoddy acting or a simplistic story.

Off on a bit of a tangent (but still pertaining to mykalrose's comment), does anyone really like quick-cut editing? I do like action and impressive visual effects, but the quick-cut thing has always bothered me. I sometimes wonder if anyone actually likes it or if it just happened to be featured in a few movies that were successful and so more and more directors started using it, incorrectly believing that audiences actually appreciated it.

Jan 4 - 07:42 PM

T45Red

Mitchell Nash

ColinTheCimmerian

I can appreciate the quick-cut editing so long as I can still see what's happening and going on in the fight. I appreciate it when it's done correctly and makes you somewhat feel the high octane adrenaline of the situation, or almost puts you in the situation, but I also highly dislike it when it's done excessively and when it's not done right.

The Bourne Ultimatum was the best example that I remember seeing, although that was almost borderline too much [they won an Oscar for best editing by the way]. I 'almost' couldn't tell what was happened during the fight scenes and that's not because I'm a lazy viewer. I'm pretty good at picking up on what's going on when I watch a movie I enjoy [which I why I didn't really like the action in Transformers 1 or 2 since I didn't care enough to try to keep up lol].

Quantum of Solace tried replicating this and I don't think they did a good job of it. I felt that even though there was more action in QoS then in Casino Royale that Casino Royale's action was far superior.

That's just my two cents.

Jan 4 - 07:50 PM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

Good to know T45Red, I figured there had to be some people who liked it, guess it's just not my thing. I haven't seen Bourne Ultimatum, but I did see Supremacy and didn't care for the quick cut editing or shaky cam there at all (which is a large part of why I didn't see the third one, actually). I assume you think it was done better in the third one? I may check it out sometime.

I'm sure the technique can be used effectively sometimes, but I think it's really easy to abuse and use incorrectly, which is probably why I don't care for it; more often than not it doesn't seem to work all that well, in my opinion.

Jan 4 - 08:31 PM

thad s.

thad stevens

no, you are wrong and being very simplistic to boot. i don't mind if other people don't enjoy avatar. i have nothing invested in the movie and honestly don't imagine that any one movie can be all things to all people. but when i say i enjoyed it, why on earth would someone feel compelled to explain to me that i am somehow wrong for having enjoyed it? that's the thing i find inexplicable: the near obsessive desire of some people here to insist that anybody who likes avatar is wrong for doing so. understand? that's what a lot of people here keep doing over and over. i have never in my entire life told someone who likes a movie that i didn't like that they were wrong or dumb for doing so.

Jan 4 - 09:15 PM

Michael W.

Michael Wilson

Sliced bread was always overrated... I enjoyed Avatar more than bread, I have to admit.

Jan 3 - 05:16 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office