Box Office Guru Wrapup: Avatar Takes Sixth Consecutive Weekend

Summary

James Cameron's latest juggernaut "Avatar" became the first film since the director's own "Titanic" to rule the number one spot for six straight weekends as it once again steamrolled over the competition topping the charts by a wide margin. Three new films without 3D trips into outer space opened to mixed results with the thriller "Legion" leading the way in second place with a solid showing. The family comedy "The Tooth Fairy" saw mild business in fourth while moviegoers ignored the drama "Extraordinary Measures" which landed in seventh. Films with major Golden Globe wins all witnessed small declines. Back to Article

Comments

Gabriel H.

Gabriel Hernandez

I meant "end of discussion."

Crud.

Jan 25 - 09:13 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I wouldn't underestimate the drawing power of Mel Gibson. Edge of Darkness looks like a good movie with good actors in it. Wouldn't shock me if it put up close to 40 mil opening weekend and Avatar will be down to about 30-32 mil. Even so, amazing run by Avatar and Cameron, top two grossing films of all time. Wow.

Jan 25 - 09:35 AM

John D.

John Doe

Mel Gibson disgusts me.

Jan 25 - 11:50 PM

Jonas M.

Jonas Meriwether

"Despite it being a different movie climate now, people will still go see a movie, a lot, if they deem it worth their time."

and that is exactly what they are doing with Avatar. So there is no need to complain about it or to try to make Gone With the Wind and The Dark Knight sound more impressive. You act is if the filmmakers shouldn't be proud of themselves for its box office gross. You referenced Box Office Mojo and said it's 26th all time in ticket sales.

and you easily forget that most movie chains only have 1 or 2 digital projectors. What's more, most of these digital projectors are placed in a medium sized auditorium. My local theater has two digital projectors in auditoriums that seat nearly 2 hundred. The 3 biggest auditoriums which only show film prints seat 4 hundred. It does also have an IMAX which seats about 300.

Jan 25 - 09:40 AM

Stepping Razor

@Jonas M. I think you're projecting your own feelings upon me. I never said that the filmmakers shouldn't feel proud of what they've done with Avatar. In fact, there were others times where I've stated that this is not a knock on Avatar the movie, but it's addressing the issue of how to place achievement in the proper context.

I've said more than once before that, yes, total gross should be taken into account, but so should ticket sales. My "constant harping" about taking into account ticket sales is in response to those who are arguing more than simply total gross in rather simplistic fashion. What exactly does it mean to be No. 1? If a big movie that comes out now doesn't make more money than older movies, that's a problem then. With ticket prices much higher now, big-hit movies should make more money. It's simple math, really.

More people saw Titanic. We can't make Avatar bigger than it actually is. Yes, it made more money, and it very well should have. But to truly be bigger than Titanic, which is what people are arguing, it needs to sell as many tickets. When Titanic was out, there were also plenty of things to "distract" people, so that point is moot.

Jan 25 - 01:03 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Just to add another note to this Gordian Knot discussion. If you go based on ticket sales alone than don't you have to take into account the larger number of people alive and seeing movie's these days as well as expansion into the global marketplace and ease of travel which would enhance the achievements of movie's like GWTW and Sound of music which were made when there were a lot less people, a lot less theaters and a lot less people dragging a donkey 12 miles to and from in a driving snow storm (Such is my understanding of travel during the time period according to first hand accounts from my Grandfather). You damn kids with your fancy Avatar's and video games and your Rotten Potatoes. If we had Rotten Potatoes in my day we'd a eaten'em and we'd a liked it. We'd a loved it!!!

Jan 25 - 02:09 PM

Stepping Razor

@Bigbrother. I wasn't saying that we should look at ticket sales alone. I've been saying that ticket sales should be used in addition to total gross to get a better view of a movie's total success/achievement.

Same goes for how many theaters a movie played. There are smaller budget movies that don't get the marketing and widespread play that such movies as Avatar receives, but people will drive a county or more away to see them.

Anyway, to look at ticket sales alone would be just as shortsighted as to look at total grosses alone.

My main point is, when people start saying Avatar's bigger than Titanic, I have to disagree. Titanic was quite the recent phenomenon, and it's not being beat by Avatar as of yet. Even if Avatar makes more money than Titanic, it would still take more mileage for it to truly beat Titanic on all corners.

That's not to take away from Avatar's successes. It's obviously a hit in many places around the world. That's nothing to sneeze at. My point is, people are really blowing it out of proportion at the moment. They seem to be too caught up in the moment.

I'll use a sports analogy here. Kobe Bryant of the Lakers is a great player, hard to argue against that. But for people to say that Kobe's better than Michael Jordan, I can only think that they didn't see MJ in his prime, and that they're too caught up in the moment, the emotion of what Kobe's doing now.

Jan 25 - 02:25 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Just to add another note to this Gordian Knot discussion. If you go based on ticket sales alone than don't you have to take into account the larger number of people alive and seeing movie's these days as well as expansion into the global marketplace and ease of travel which would enhance the achievements of movie's like GWTW and Sound of music which were made when there were a lot less people, a lot less theaters and a lot more people dragging a donkey 12 miles to and from in a driving snow storm (Such is my understanding of travel during the time period according to first hand accounts from my Grandfather). You damn kids with your fancy Avatar's and video games and your Rotten Potatoes. If we had Rotten Potatoes in my day we'd a eaten'em and we'd a liked it. We'd a loved it!!!

Jan 25 - 02:09 PM

Jonas M.

Jonas Meriwether

the way you bring up the same point over and over makes it seem as if you want Avatar's box office gross to not be impressive. When you keep doing that, then you are trying to take something away from Avatar's success.

but I do see that you agree it is shortsighted to look at ticket sales or total gross separately. I think it's more fair to compare Titanic's ticket sales to Avatar. Metaphorically speaking, Gone With the Wind is in the paleozoic era of films. It was the king of its time and we absolutely can't compare it to anything that comes out today.

and you haven't addressed the lack of digital theaters in America. Do you not think that is a factor at all? If all theaters were digital then Avatar wouldn't still be selling out by this point, but it might have reach 6 or 7 hundred million by now.

Avatar has a ridiculously monster gross. It's pretty difficult to blow it out of proportion. I haven't seen anyone say it's gross makes Gone With the Wind look like nothing. That would be stupid if someone did.

Jan 26 - 12:23 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

@ cinescribe, your take on the movie mirrors mine at almost every point. Good minds think alike!

@Mathew, Tombstone beat me to the punch. I don't think it's as simple as people driving to the theater and not seeing anything on the marquee and deciding to watch Avatar just for the hell of it. Avatar's grosses for the past few weekends have broken records for January films.

Jan 25 - 09:48 AM

Liam Tigh

Kevin Reider

To all the Avatar haters: at least Transfomers:Rotf didn't break Titanic's record.

Jan 25 - 09:48 AM

inactive user

Jared King

C'mon! He was so bada$s!

Jan 25 - 09:52 AM

JC Martel

JC Martel

AVATAR can suck a D*ck. ***** that cartoon !

Jan 25 - 11:34 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 25 - 02:09 PM

Jan 25 - 02:25 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I saw Avatar on Saturday, and for the most part I loved it. I enjoyed the opening scenes, and I did think the script was subpar at some points, but it got a bit better as the movie went along. The basic story isn't original (it's Dances With Wolves meets Pocahontas), but it's presented in a way that allows you to enjoy the story anyway. I saw it in 3D, and while at times it was gimmicky, the effects were mind-blowing during the battle scenes and the scenes showing the forests/waterfalls, etc. I thought that the third act of the film was by far the most enjoyable; I and everyone around me were all hooked to the screen. I actually came to care for Jake Sully and the other characters throughout the course of the film. Oh, and btw, I'm anything BUT an Avatar fanboy. Honestly, before the film came out, I started to dismiss it as looking like an overhyped waste of time. Boy, was I wrong.

mykalrose--I honestly think the Avatar is better than Titanic for the most part. Titanic isn't a bad movie, and I do enjoy watching it (for the effects and for making fun of it), I've always felt like it was WAY overhyped. I definitely enjoyed Avatar more, and I feel like it is the better movie. As a matter of fact, it might be Camerons's best (though I probably need to give T1 and T2 another viewing). I'm one of the few who enjoys the original Terminator slightly better than T2, though.

Jan 25 - 02:39 PM

Stepping Razor

@Mr. Dufresne, I'm also one of the few who thinks the original Terminator is better than T2.

It had more of a slight noir feeling to it, and benefits from having a smaller budget than its sequel -- the focus can be more on the plot events, the human dynamics and the relationship between Sarah and Kyle.

The sequel is corny at times, in bad ways, and there are things that could have been handled better, such as the new, improved and buffed out Sarah Connor. She came off as more cartoon than real person, so much so, Arnold's performance as the cyborg seemed more human.

I think people need to step back from the CGI overload and realize that movies were made just fine prior to the computer-driven graphics, and that no matter how great CGI can look, it still isn't more important than the movie basics. Using CGI has taken center-stage in too many filmmakers' movies (ahem, George Lucas, ahem). What I liked in the Lord of the Rings movies is that CGI was pretty much used only when they couldn't otherwise make such things in real life, or it was highly impractical.

Anyway, it seems like the CGI usage in Avatar was pretty much all necessary, but I still wish there was more of a focus on the story, not the visuals.

Jan 25 - 04:31 PM

SmokingAce

Blake Jennings

Duh it took the 6th week. That's because all of the other movies out are freaking horrible!

Jan 25 - 04:23 PM

Jan 25 - 04:31 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

@John D. Well, then you might as well be ready to have a broken heart, because Avatar will be nominated. Will it win? Don't know, but the odds are pretty good.

And I'm going to flat out say it and let the flames fall where they may. I actually liked Avatar better than The Hurt Locker. That's right, I said it. Call me a child, call me an idiot, whatever, but that's how I feel. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate Hurt Locker, but as a piece of entertainment, Avatar was much better. (Now as a film with actual substance, that's a different story)

I think part of my problem with HL was that I was led to believe it was an action film. It is not. It is a drama that has a few action segments in it. I found the parts that weren't incredibly tense (and there were many) fairly dull. It also seemed a bit disjointed.

But hey, I know I'm probably in the minority on this one (at least on these forums) but at least I have the strength of my convictions.

Jan 25 - 04:48 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

You're a childish idiot.

I withdraw my comment. I see your point. The trailer for The Hurt Locker was a little misleading. Although if they're putting up Best Picture nominees like Avatar then please do the right thing and give Saoirse Ronan a best actress oscar.

Jan 25 - 06:34 PM

Ron K.

Ron Kraft

Liked Avatar, glad to see it earn so much money, cant wait for 2 and 3 (if they happen, of coarse). I didn't think it would top the money charts, but apparently some people did. ^_- you were right, we were wrong. Now, cmoon #2!

Jan 25 - 04:55 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

You're a childish idiot.

Jan 25 - 06:34 PM

JS

j s

Not the end of discussion. GWTW is damn impressive and it should be noted when it comes to the number of ticket sales. I wonder though, how many tickets did GWTW sell during it's original run in theaters back in 1939? Then, I'm curious to see if that number is anywhere near the 78 mil tickets sold that Avatar has tallied thus far. On top of that, I'd like to see how many tickets were sold in each of GWTW's releases in the span of however many years.

Original run of GWTW ticket sales vs Avatar total ticket sales. After that's known, then it'd be the end of discussion, Gabrial H :-)

Jan 25 - 07:00 PM

John D.

John Doe

Mel Gibson disgusts me.

Jan 25 - 11:50 PM

John D.

John Doe

Sorry, I just had to say it. I understand it was completely non-constructive and a waste of everyone's time.

Jan 25 - 11:55 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast