Awards Tour: Complete Oscar Winners List

The Hurt Locker wins Best Picture and Best Director

The Hurt Locker wins big with wins for director Kathryn Bigelow and Best Picture honors. The night also saw Oscars go to Hollywood veterans Sandra Bullock and Jeff Bridges. See the full list of Oscar winners below! And thank you to everyone who participated in our first ever Facebook chat and kept us company all night on Twitter!

Best Picture

Coraline (94%) - French Roast
Fantastic Mr. Fox (92%) - Granny O'Grimm's Sleeping Beauty
The Princess and the Frog (83%) - The Lady and the Reaper
- The Secret of Kells - Logorama
Up (98%) - A Matter of Loaf and Death
Best Original Screenplay Best Adapted Screenplay
A Serious Man (87%) District 9 (90%)
The Hurt Locker (98%) An Education (95%)
Inglourious Basterds (88%) In The Loop (93%)
Up (98%) Precious (91%)
The Messenger (90%) Up in the Air (90%)
Best Art Direction Best Cinematography
Avatar (82%) Avatar (82%)
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (66%) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (83%)
Nine (37%) The Hurt Locker (97%)
Sherlock Holmes (68%) Inglourious Basterds (89%)
The Young Victoria (75%) The White Ribbon (86%)
Best Costume Design Best Documentary Feature
Bright Star (83%) Burma VJ (96%)
Coco Before Chanel (65%) The Cove (96%)
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (66%) Food, Inc. (96%)
Nine (37%) The Most Dangerous Man in America (100%)
The Young Victoria (75%) Which Way Home (100%)
Best Documentary Short Best Editing
- China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province Avatar (82%)
- The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner District 9 (90%)
- The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant The Hurt Locker (97%)
- Music by Prudence Inglourious Basterds (89%)
- Rabbit a la Berlin Precious (91%)
Best Foreign Language Film Best Live Action Short
Ajami (Israel) (83%) - The Door
El Secreto de Sus Ojos (100%) (Argentina) - Instead of Abracadabra
The Milk of Sorrow (Peru) (86%) - Kavi
The White Ribbon (Germany) (86%) - The New Tenants
Un Prophete' (France) (97%) - Miracle Fish
Best Makeup Best Original Score
Il Divo (92%) Avatar (82%)
Star Trek (94%) Fantastic Mr. Fox (92%)
The Young Victoria (75%) The Hurt Locker (97%)
- Sherlock Holmes (68%)
- Up (98%)
Best Original Song Best Sound Editing
"Almost There" from The Princess and the Frog (83%) Avatar (82%)
"Down in New Orleans" from The Princess and the Frog (83%) The Hurt Locker (97%)
"Loin de Paname" from Paris 36 (59%) Star Trek (94%)
"Take It All" from Nine (37%) Inglourious Basterds (89%)
"The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart (92%) Up (98%)
Best Sound Mixing Best Visual Effects
Avatar (82%) Avatar (82%)
The Hurt Locker (97%) District 9 (90%)
Inglourious Basterds (89%) Star Trek (94%)
Star Trek (94%) -
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (20%) -

Comments

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Nice to see District 9 and Up benefiting from the expanded category this year. They would have been shut out otherwise. Star Trek would have been a more logical choice (see what I did there) than A Serious Man, but I guess the Academy was over their Sci Fi quota with Avatar and D9.

Feb 2 - 06:04 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Yeah, Star Trek would have been asking too much. Still, best Oscar noms I can remember in a while.

Feb 2 - 06:16 AM

Bed Head

Ekaterina Kutznetsova

BigBrother, I think that, as the second commenter noted, it was a pretty easy/obvious year nominations-wise (as there were precious few worthy candidates to choose from).

Though Julianne Moore ("A Single Man") was totally "hosed". Maggie Gyllenhaal and Penelope Cruz?! Are you funking kidding me?!

Feb 2 - 06:23 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Sorry Second Suitor...I mean poster, you were posting while I typed. Otherwise I would never have dared disagree with you.

Feb 2 - 06:31 AM

Sandman1968

First Last

Maggie Gyllenhaal's nomination was the only thing that kept me from blowing my brains out after "The Blind Side" got a best picture nomination. She is terrific in this terrific movie, and has been deserving of some Academy love for years. She was completely ignored for "Secretary" and "Sherrybaby", which was criminal on two counts. She won't win, but finally some notice for her continued greatness!

Feb 2 - 08:26 PM

Clayton T.

Clayton Thomas

I completely agree, I was absolutely happy with her surprise nomination. She is a very talented actress.

Feb 2 - 08:30 PM

max n.

Max Newlin

I liked Star Trek and A Serious Man but A Serious Man was waaaaaay better

Feb 2 - 02:40 PM

max n.

Max Newlin

I liked Star Trek and A Serious Man but A Serious Man was waaaaaay better

Feb 2 - 02:40 PM

Bed Head

Ekaterina Kutznetsova

Not to "sound like a broken record", but ...

I suppose it's only fitting that the worst year* in recent memory (cinematically speaking) be capped off by the most anticlimactic Academy Awards telecast of all-time.

I mean, is there even the slightest doubt that "Avatar", Cameron, Bullock, Bridges, MoNique, and Waltz will win?

The answer, sadly, is no. There's not. Despite the fact that only two of those (at most) are (even remotely) deserving.

The Academy was clearly unable to locate even five legitimate candidates in most categories. Perhaps it might have been preferable to just leave several slots blank, instead. (To prove a point.)

It's all quite depressing, actually.

* Even worse than 2008.

Feb 2 - 06:16 AM

Tyler S.

Tyler Schwab

Uhm yes, there is major doubt if Avatar will win. If there is any justice in the world it won't win. Even People who loved it (i.e. Roger Ebert) would be sad to see it win. While 2009 was inconsistent it did bring us some wonderful films: The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, Up, District 9.... so all in all its not that bad of a year

Feb 2 - 08:17 AM

Akira D.

Akirajd Dumont

First of all, you have a terrible attitude, Bed Head. Quit complaining.

Second, it's not a for sure with best pic considering Avatar won the Golden Globe and Hurt Locker won the PGA.

Same with the Director, Cameron aint a shoe in either considering Bigelow won the DGA-same with Hurt Locker for Best Pic at the DGA.

Also there are always suprises within the main catagories, it's never a shoe in year, coming from a guy who's watched the Oscars since 1994.

Feb 2 - 01:00 PM

Bed Head

Ekaterina Kutznetsova

Well, apparently, "Akirajd D.", you weren't watching too closely LAST YEAR ... seeing as the favorites (according to Vegas odds-makers) won in EVERY single major category.

Feb 2 - 01:10 PM

ecko s.

ecko shishihu

there is a reason you are called bed head, because you must have been sleeping during those films, because those were great films.

Feb 4 - 05:54 AM

rexchex

rex herman

I would love ro see Sandra win.....IF MICHAEL ORR WOULD BLINDSIDE HER AT THE PODIUN FOR MAKING HIM LOOK LIKE A RETARD!! oops, sorry....specially challenged.

Feb 6 - 01:53 PM

Cencula04

Andrew Swayfun

Ya you really called it. I am kinda curious if you have seen half of the best picture nominee movies. I as well as most people felt confident that Hurt Locker would get the credit it deserves. You should get out more and hear other peoples opinions before making such terrible conclusions.

Mar 8 - 01:19 AM

Kyle W.

Kyle White

Well guess you were wrong

Mar 8 - 04:38 PM

Feb 2 - 08:26 PM

Clayton T.

Clayton Thomas

Feb 2 - 08:30 PM

David M.

David Miranda

I think Avatar should of only been nominated for technical awards, not for best picture! I think The Blind Side, Avatar, and A Serious Man were wrong choices for best picture. I mean what about Star Trek, or (500) Days of Summer??!! I'm also kind of upset over the best actor category with Morgan Freeman's nomination. Don't get me wrong he is a good actor, I just feel like he was only nominated because he was portraying Nelson Mandela.

Feb 2 - 06:21 AM

Jim C.

Jim Cameron

man that is mad korny. u think star trek was better than avatar? zoe saldana made star trek watchable, thatsa bout it

Feb 2 - 09:52 AM

Cory

Cory B

Really? How about Chris Pine, Karl Urban, Zachary Quinto, a great script, fantastic action sequences and visual effects, and sharp direction from JJ Abrams?

Feb 2 - 09:55 AM

Feb 2 - 08:26 PM

Clayton T.

Clayton Thomas

Feb 2 - 08:30 PM

psycho_jack

Steve H

i was hoping 500 days of summer wud get some sort of nomination (at least in the screenplay category) :( but still nice to see UP nominated in best picture race and District 9 as well

Feb 2 - 06:26 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Feb 2 - 06:31 AM

bingo007

navaneetharan kamaraj

up isnt half the movie WALL-E is.it shouldnt have been nominated.and TF2 and 2012 should have been nominated for SFX rather than D9.i dont think budget should be a factor for nominations.

Feb 2 - 06:32 AM

Andrew V.

Andrew Vuocolo

What are u talking about. In that case D9 would have still been nominated. It had a small budget as well. And the effects were the best all year, till avatar open up in theaters...

Feb 2 - 07:36 PM

Costigan

spencer strausbaugh

Star Trek, 500 days of summer, Fantastic Mr. Fox instead of Blind Side Avatar, and An Education and I would be happy with the best picture category.

However I am not. Blind Side? really? What an overblown piece of crap.

Feb 2 - 06:39 AM

Other

rgr etes

I agree that Morgan Freemans nod and Matt Damons seem almost forced because of the material they were portraying. I am happy to see "Up" made it into the Best Picture category...finally breaking the mold. I'm also glad to see Jeremy Renner get a nod for Best Actor, he's finally getting his dues'. Overall I'm pleased with the noms this year.

Feb 2 - 06:39 AM

Easter In The Batcave

Alex Sallas

Star Trek should definitely have been nominated for Best Picture, although I'm happy to see Inglorious Basterds nominated.

I thought The Blind Side was pretty good, but not really Best Picture of the year material.

Avatar will definitely win for Visual Effects and has a pretty good shot at Best Picture too. It will be between James Cameron and Quentin Tarantino (coincidentally, two of my favourite directors) for the Best Director award. Christoph Waltz will undoubtedly (deservingly) win the Best Supporting Actor award.

Feb 2 - 06:41 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

so am I

Feb 2 - 06:32 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Up obviously won Best Animated film, since it made it to Best Picture.

Great to hear District 9 getting a lot of nominations, it needed some attention after it was snub at the Golden Globes.

I say this year's nominations are a big improvement over the previous ones because it's mixed with movies from entire 2009 instead of the ones from the end of the year.

Feb 2 - 06:45 AM

Christopher

John Smith

Up for best movie!

Feb 2 - 06:47 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

As long as Avatar, and obvious others, don't win, it's all good. Though I love to hear Cameron rant if Avatar does not win any category.

-"District 9 for SFX?! Bull****! My mother****** movie had 3D! 3D!!!"
-"(Any Movie) for Best Picture?! F***, my movie made BILLIONS!!!"
And so on and so forth. Feel free to continue.

Feb 2 - 06:58 AM

Greg L.

Greg Loesch

Do you really think Cameron cares if he doesn't win those awards? He's said many times in interviews he did NOT make Avatar for critics, as he was through trying to please them. In fact, if you saw the Golden Globe speech for Best Director, he said that Katherine Bigelow deserved the award, not him. You people can blame Cameron and Avatar all you want but it is the CRITICS who praised it and got it into this position. Cameron made an amazing entertaining film, perhaps not "high art" like some of you elitists seem to require to be a good film, but well above other blockbuster fare of the decade in terms of intelligence, emotions, and wonder.

And let's face it, the fact of the matter is the film that Cameron made could not have been made by any other director. A man who creates new technology to tell a story, and forever changes the industry with said technology, deserves a Best Director award. There was no blueprint for directing Avatar, and in the wrong hands it could have been one of cinemas biggest disasters. So even if Avatar doesn't deserve Best Picture, Cameron certainly deserves the award for directing.

But honestly, the other nominees for Best Picture ain't nothing special either. Up In The Air? Boring movie...if that is the best movie of the year then Hollywood is ****ed. The Hurt Locker was a noble effort, but suffered from no plot, a couple of ridiculous scenes, and not enough character development. D9 was a good movie, but turned into a standard chase action film in the last half. Inglourious Basterds was another good, but not great movie. Too many missed opportunities, and pales in comparison to Tarantinos best. Up deserves best Animated Feature award, no way for Best Picture. Frankly 10 nominees is stupid, who knows what they were thinking.

I do believe that The Hurt Locker is the front-runner for Best Picture/Director, and it will most likely win. The Academy needs to seem relevant by either picking A. A sci-fi film (Avatar) with insane box office numbers, or B. An Iraq war film directed by a woman.

My guess would be B.

Feb 2 - 08:38 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Let me try this again:

Wow. This entire post much encapsulates my thoughts exactly.

Well said dude!

Feb 2 - 10:12 AM

Andrew V.

Andrew Vuocolo

Feb 2 - 07:37 PM

Andrew V.

Andrew Vuocolo

I am so happy to see D9 getting some recognition. I Mean it was defiantly my favorite movie from last year. They should eliminate Avatar because it was just pocahantus with amazing effects and an extra dimension. Seriously a movie should need to have a thought provoking story to win best picture, and there was honestly nothing about Avatar's story that kept me thinking about it after i saw it. But back to D9. This movie really had everything I look for when i go to see a movie. Action, great acting, great story, great character development, great visual effects, great directing, and an amazing ending ( unlike "cough" book "cough" of eli "cough"). But im almost certain The Hurt Locker will win just because it is so relevant to our time.

Feb 2 - 07:44 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Well, "Avatar"'s plot was very engaging, some of the characters really good, and the scale amazing. Seems like enough to me.

Feb 2 - 08:00 PM

Floor Man

Floor Man

@ledawg1138:

Agreed. I find it actually quite hilarious (and somewhat annoying, now) that people are still complaining about Avatar's lack of originality way more than the story itself, which, IMO, is great. Avatar's story is the same as%u2026Pocahontas? Dances with Wolves? Ferngully? Okay, great! I think those are good movies with engaging stories. If I have a choice between all of them, though...hell, I'll take Avatar any day. It's a good story, but told in a way that I prefer and love. And does anyone besides me think that Avatar was beautiful%u2014and, dare I say this%u2014simply FUN? Sheesh.

Feb 2 - 08:17 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Feb 3 - 12:44 AM

Escapefromalcatraz

william thresher

I am a huge (HUGE) Hurt Locker fan, but I too was elated to see D9 getting some love.

Feb 2 - 06:51 AM

DKUK

Derrick Wong

I have to say that UP was overrated and really didn't do anything for me, but I would say Fantastic Mr Fox is much better, more thoughtful and has much better visuals. Don't know where it disappeared to in terms of BO.

Anyway, here's a question cos I don't really know much about how the Academy works....but can somebody explain if Up has been nominated for Best Picture, doesn't that mean it will win Animated Feature cos the others weren't nominated?

And if Mr Fox beats UP in the Animation Feature category (which I hope it does), then shouldn't it in theory, have been nominated in the Best Picture category?

Feb 2 - 06:53 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Yes, it would have been better if they left Up out of the Animation film category for being an automatic win. Although it will be funny if another wins it instead and people will be saying that the other animated film should have been the one for best picture instead.

Feb 2 - 07:02 AM

Devin G.

Devin Garabedian

I was thinking the same thing about Fox. Fortunately, I'm hoping that they're looking at Up as a film that transcends its medium to be a great film, whilst Fox is an achievement in animation.

Feb 2 - 09:36 AM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

DKUK -

Since no one has tried to answer your question, I figured I would take a stab at it. I'm no expert on AMPAS, so maybe someone else can confirm this or point out where I'm wrong if I've made a mistake.

My understanding is that each member in AMPAS nominates in their respective category, so it's the cinematographers that decide who is nominated for Best Cinematography, and so forth. The exception is Best Picture choices, which are nominated by the entire membership. After that, there's a second vote where most of the membership is allowed to vote on each category, which decides the winners. So, yes, your example could happen with Fantastic Mr. Fox winning over Up in the animated category, but that doesn't indicate that it should have been on the Best Picture ballot over Up. Rather it indicates the different make up of the voting body between the first and second rounds. Not sure if I explained it all that well, but there you have it. ;)

Feb 2 - 01:38 PM

C C.

C C

If Up loses Best Animated Feature, that definitely doesn't mean that Fantastic Mr. Fox should have been nominated for Best Picture instead. The only reason Up would lose is if the Academy voters believe that Up being nominated for Best Picture is an award alone, since it is only the second time in history it has happen.

Feb 2 - 02:21 PM

Andrew S.

Andrew Schuessler

I guess you could say that Up's win is it's Best Picture Nomination and the Fantastic Mr. Fox gets the Win.

Feb 5 - 03:57 PM

Monty P.

Monty Philips

The Blind Side really sucked, a lot. Why is it on any list? I watched it in its entirety thinking maybe there was something to it, but no. Just some humdrum garbage if you ask me. I hope the Basterds win, but they wont.

Feb 2 - 06:58 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

-"District 9 for SFX?! Bull****! My mother****** movie had 3D! 3D!!!"
-"(Any Movie) for Best Picture?! F***, my movie made BILLIONS!!!"
And so on and so forth. Feel free to continue.

Feb 2 - 06:58 AM

Greg L.

Greg Loesch

My guess would be B.

Feb 2 - 08:38 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Let me try this again:

Wow. This entire post much encapsulates my thoughts exactly.

Well said dude!

Feb 2 - 08:17 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Feb 3 - 12:44 AM

fresh f.

fresh fresh

I can't believe The Blind Side is up for Best Picture. That is absolutely ridiculous. I dont understand the love for this movie or for Sandra Bullock. It was mediocre at best.

Feb 2 - 07:00 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Feb 2 - 07:02 AM

fresh f.

fresh fresh

Its really an insult to films like Inglourious Basterds and The Hurt Locker to be nominated against The Blind Side. I mean cmon!

Feb 2 - 07:05 AM

n.die.jaedong

William Reznicek

why oh why is inglorious bastards on the list. or the blind side for that matter.

Feb 2 - 09:59 AM

Jessica M.

Jessica M

Fresh F:.. All three of those are great movies >_>

Just hope Avatar doesn't win.. probably will, but that garbage really doesn't deserve the award.

Feb 6 - 08:38 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday