Awards Tour: Complete Oscar Winners List

Summary

The Hurt Locker wins big with wins for director Kathryn Bigelow and Best Picture honors. The night also saw Oscars go to Hollywood veterans Sandra Bullock and Jeff Bridges. See the full list of Oscar winners below! And thank you to everyone who participated in our first ever Facebook chat and kept us company on Twitter! Back to Article

Comments

Bed Head

Ekaterina Kutznetsova

To whoever it was who was crying over what I wrote earlier...

Look, I know you're embarrassed over your horrible, pointless post (which is perfectly understandable), but you really need to just let it go.

So you made a complete fool of yourself (and clearly have no clue what the hell you're talking about) ... so what?

I mean, surely this isn't the first time you have totally embarrassed yourself in public?

And it undoubtedly won't be the last.

P.S. Not loving every single movie doesn't make a girl a "troll", it simply suggests she may be slightly more, um, "refined" than you are.

Feb 2 - 08:29 PM

avatar Avenger

Avatar Avengers

dont get all high and mighty. Avatar was the best film ever made. AVAAAATAARRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 2 - 10:21 PM

Clayton T.

Clayton Thomas

I completely agree, I was absolutely happy with her surprise nomination. She is a very talented actress.

Feb 2 - 08:30 PM

speedracer37

Darin Grant

Now in regards to what I thought of each film in each category:
Best A.F.: Up - a Pixar film...period. Nothing more to say and IS going to win.
Fantastic Mr. Fox - a really great film, but NOT as good as Up.
Coraline - my 2nd favorite a.f. of the year, just in front of Fantastic Mr. Fox (3rd fav.).
The Princess and the Frog - a fine film, but I've seen better.
The Secret of Kells - never seen it, and think that C.W.A.C.O.M.B. was much, much better (even without having seen it, yes.).

Best A.S.P.: In the Loop - never seen, but again very happy that J&J did not get one.
More on the rest in B.P.

Best O.S.P.: The Messenger - haven't seen yet, but heard it was great, although I would have rather had 500 Days of Summer get it, but oh well.
More on the rest in B.P.

Best S. Actress: Penelope Cruz - O.K. here it goes...I LOVED Nine! There I said it. No, it was not as good as Chicago obviously but still a terrific musical and the acting was the strongest point in the film so that P.C. got it is no surprise to me...Marion Cotillard was better but that's no big deal. P.S. You should know that I am a musical theater arts/drama major at the Canadian College of Performing Arts in Victoria and I have been around (seen, heard, sang, etc.) musicals since I was born so trust me when I say I know a good musical when I see one.
More on the rest in B.P.

Best S. Actor: Matt Damon - well, although I didn't think that this was Clint Eastwood's or Matt Damon's best films I still thought he did a great job and can understand why the academy gave it to him.
Woody Harrelson - again, haven't seen the film yet so can't say, but I've heard he gave a terrific performance.
Christopher Plummer - haven't seen it and don't think I'm going to but he probably did a fine job.
Stanley Tucci - I saw The Lovely Bones and admire this film a lot. I thought Peter Jackson was the perfect choice to adapt this great novel and he really did a great job (I thought). It did have some faults and failures but it doesn't override the entire film for me. In regards to Tucci, I thought that that was, besides the GORGEOUS imagery of heaven Peter Jackson brought to life, the best part of the movie so I obviously know why the Academy gave it to him.
Christoph Waltz - No comment, except one of the best performances of the decade (the late Heath Ledger last year gave us the best villain performance in the history of the cinema so obviously not quite as good as him) and if he doesn't get the Award the world will have ended.

Best Actress: Meryl Streep - SUCH an overblown actress (it's like whatever movie she plays in no matter how bad it is, the Academy has to kiss her ***.) who lost her mojo a long time ago in my opinion. But I understand why she got the nomination...she's Meryl Streep.
Helen Mirren - haven't seen The Last Station and don't know if I will or not yet, but think that this nom. should have gone to Emily Blunt for her absolutely dazzling role in The Young Victoria.
More on the rest in B.P.

Best Actor: Morgan Freeman - a great, great actor (we all know he is) who gave a mere good performance in Invictus, but again understand why he got it...he was playing Nelson Mandella.
Colin Firth - an only thought-to-be good actor who gave an absolute stellar performance in one of the best movies of the year.
Jeff Bridges - O.K. let me put it to you this way...if you don't know that Jeff is one of the best but most underrated actors in American cinema history than you've been living under a rock. He gives the performance of his career (which is obviously saying a lot) in this ABSOLUTELY FREAKING ASTOUNDING movie, and he has probably been mailed his LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG over-due Oscar in the mail already.
More on the rest in B.P.

Best Director: Lee Daniels - I very, very sadly have not seen this movie yet but I heard that it is THE if not one of the best movies of the year. So obviously I understand why he would have got this.
Quentin Tarantino - One of the best but most underrated directors in the last...however long he's worked.
Kathryn Bigelow - An amazing, absolutely amazing directorial debut from this FEMALE(!) director. Can't wait to see what she has in store next for us (the audiences of North America, I mean).
James Cameron - Uh..............................no comment.
Jason Reitman - One of my new favorite directors over the last...5 years, I think it is? Oh, and this is his best, again saying a lot.

BEST PICTURE: O.K. well first the ones that i haven't seen yet.
An Education - I haven't seen this yet (sad, I know)but I've heard that it is a fantastic film with an ABSOLUTELY, ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT performance by new british actress Carey Mulligan. Apparently, she is said to become

Feb 2 - 08:31 PM

Andrew M.

Andrew Moore

Yes, Precious is such a powerful movie. I had already read the book, so I knew what I was in for. However, reading it is one thing, reading is usually mor effective at creating characters, and environments in your head.

However, prescious is perhaps the best adaption of a Novel I have ever seen. It left me sick to my stomach at parts, however, in the end, It leaves you proud and a feeling of hope for humanity.

I have read every comment so far, and I am suprised that perhaps only 5 people have even mentioned this movie.

Personally, I liked Avatar, however I feel it is just a throwaway fad. In 10 years it will have as much relevance as Fern Gully.

If you have not yet, please...watch prescious. This is a viscious film, that bares all the ugly truths about just how low our species can go. And how the human spirit can soar, when given a little "push".

Feb 3 - 12:27 AM

Ethan J.

Ethan Jannes

ugh, Kathryn Bigelow's been directing films since the '80s. ever seen Near Dark, Point Break, Strange Days, etc.?

Feb 3 - 06:46 PM

Bed Head

Ekaterina Kutznetsova

Not the greatest showcase of Gyllenhaal's talents though, imo.

At any rate ...

I think what people must understand about "Avatar" is that, like it or not, it's no longer just a mere "movie". It's now a "cultural phenomenon".

And thus, as such, it is quite difficult to envision it losing Best Picture to a film ("The Hurt Locker") that has grossed a grand total of $12.7 million.

BTW, here are the financial numbers for every Best Picture winner and nominee:

Feb 2 - 08:37 PM

Tyler S.

Tyler Schwab

Yes, "Avatar" is a cultural phenomenon, and it has grossed billions of dollars. Its revolutionary way of filmmaking will be remembered, and its visuals will and deserve to sweep the oscars. That being said, this movie would not be a cultural phenomenon if its visuals were not so mesmerizing. If James Cameron did not change his screenplay, it would barely be remembered, it would NOT be nominated for B.P., and it would have grossed at most 300 million (because America loves crappy action movies). Since this is not the case, it is a phenomenon. Let me make it very clear, I am NOT a hater. I enjoyed Avatar. I would give it 3.5/4 stars, which is a very good rating. Still, the plot is very unoriginal, the love story felt forced, and while I enjoyed the environmental message, and the anti-capitalist message, it just didn't combine into a masterpiece. It's good, just not great. I think many "haters" of Avatar have a similar view. It just is annoying that so much of the film's praise come simply from it's visuals, and that (along with its box office) does not warrant a best picture victory. Box office does not affect the quality of a film, so It annoys me that people say that Avatar should win because it has grossed 2 billion dollars. The Hurt Locker (IMO, and a lot of others) is better than Avatar, regardless of box office (and yes I did see it, in theaters).

Feb 2 - 09:36 PM

speedracer37

Darin Grant

So, all the words have been said...now what do I think should win? Here's my 2 cents...
Best Picture: Avatar (YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!)

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow (If it goes to Cameron though I won't be surprised AT ALL!)

Best Actor: Jeff Bridges (Remember they've shipped his Oscar in the mail already...LOL)

Best Actress: Sandra Bullock (Yes, I do think she did THAT well! Just please, Academy, for all of the world's sake do NOT let Streep get it! PLEASE!!)

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz (No contest here...AT ALL.)

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique (haven't seen it yet but she will get it...no questions asked.)

Best Animated Film: Hmm, let me think for a bit...oh, yeah...Up.

Best Original Screenplay: Inglorious Basterds (Remember it's QT's dialogue.)

Best Adapted Screenplay: Up in the Air (But if it goes to either Precious or An Education I wouldn't be surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.)

Well, there you have it...my picks for 2009. But only time (March the 7th to be exact) will tell who or what will actually take home the golden statues.

Feb 2 - 08:45 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Dare I say that I actually think the noms are ok....of course besides The Blind Side. The blind Side for Best Pic? F UCK That! Sandra Bullock for Best Actress? BULL SHlT! and Bullock actually won the Globe. How can anyone think she did better than Gabby Sidibe in Precious?

Feb 2 - 08:51 PM

Clayton T.

Clayton Thomas

I do have to agree to that I think 85 percent of the nominations are pretty great.

Feb 2 - 08:54 PM

Clayton T.

Clayton Thomas

Feb 2 - 08:54 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Carey Mulligan will win this year, there is no way in hell (surely) that Bullock's performance warrants the Oscar more than Mulligan.

Lol Speedracer, I can understand you anti-Streep sentiment, but the fact that the other actresses have to face is that if they want to stop her they have to start being better than her. Plain an simple. To be honest there are not too many out there who could go toe-to-toe with Meryl and come out looking like the better actress.

Feb 2 - 08:57 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Damn, my previous comment should say:

'Carey Mulligan would be more deserving of winning this year'

Feb 2 - 09:01 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Why did The Blind Side get nominated? Same reason Avatar got nominated. People liked the film. It wasn't dark and depressing and it was actually a quality film. So to all you out there whining about its appearance on this list why don't ya'll just shut up and deal with it. It isn't going to win so why do you care so much?

Feb 2 - 09:13 PM

inactive user

Jared King

But isn't the point of this article to talk about, and mostly nitpick, the nominees.

Feb 2 - 09:26 PM

avatar Avenger

Avatar Avengers

the blind side sucked. Its a racist piece of garbage. If you like it you,re a racist. Avatar was de ****z.

Feb 2 - 09:50 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

@Avatard

Pardon my rudeness. You're an idiot.

Feb 3 - 04:49 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

He has started spamming my comments board.

What a child.

Best if ignored.

Feb 3 - 09:56 AM

The Avenger

kenneth kinderman

the blind side was racist garbage. If you like it you are a racist.

Feb 3 - 07:39 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Feb 2 - 09:26 PM

JAKIBA

jk bateman

YOU SUCK BALLS... HAVE A NICE DAY!

Feb 2 - 09:28 PM

Tyler S.

Tyler Schwab

Feb 2 - 09:36 PM

Greg L.

Greg Loesch

C'mon now, Avatar story and characters some of the worst you've ever seen? What movie were you watching? The reason Avatar is making so much money week after week IS because of the story and characters, bottom line. FX can only take a movie so far (see: Transformers, 2012 - huge openings, huge dropoffs). Avatar is resonating with people around the world and bringing people back to see the film time and time again. FX do NOT break box office records. And I really cannot believe people complain about the characters in Avatar...I will easily admit that some were 2-dimensional, but most of the movie was spent developing Jake and Neytiri, with only about half an hour of action tops. That takes some serious balls for a blockbuster film...and really and truly it was more about the romance then anything.

Avatar deserves it for the same reason Titanic did back in 1997 - it's the single greatest achievement in cinema this year (decade?), and it has resonated with an INSANE amount of people.

And I don't know why people are giving Cameron such a hard time. He said countless times he didn't make this movie for critics, and that Bigelow deserved the Golden Globe. He's a humble guy for someone who wrote/produced/directed the two highest grossing films ever, both based on ORIGINAL stories. For f@cks sake, I think you people would be a little cocky if you had that achievement...and you'd sure have the right to.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the other nominees are simply GOOD movies, not GREAT movies. Avatar is not necessarily a GREAT movie when you look at from a "high-art Oscar film critic" point of view, but it is a damn good movie, and overall, a remarkable, remarkable achievement. In the wrong hands it would have been a disaster. It's so revolutionary in every way, yes EVEN story. Think about it, what other film has blue CGI cat-aliens as the lead characters in a live-action sci-fi film, that audiences actually care about. AMAZING achievement.

Feb 2 - 09:36 PM

Tyler S.

Tyler Schwab

Well Transformers just sucked. I said I liked Avatar, It just shouldn't win Best Picture. And people are going back because of the visuals. It has the "OHHHHHHHHH THIS LOOKS PRETTY!" appeal. Every person I've talked to says they want to see it again because, "It looks so ****ing awesome!" I asked all of them if they would see it in 2D and they all responded, "Why would I do that?" If you take away the wonderful 3D visuals, people will actually have to look at the story and realize that it isn't that great. It is quite remarkable in many senses, and the story isn't that bad, its just not oscar worthy.

Feb 2 - 09:46 PM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

While I would never associate the word "humble" with Jim Cameron, I pretty much agree with the rest of your remarks.

Feb 2 - 09:49 PM

Tyler S.

Tyler Schwab

Feb 2 - 09:46 PM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

Feb 2 - 09:49 PM

avatar Avenger

Avatar Avengers

Feb 2 - 09:50 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

@Avatard

Pardon my rudeness. You're an idiot.

Feb 3 - 04:49 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

He has started spamming my comments board.

What a child.

Best if ignored.

Feb 3 - 09:56 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I couldn't have said it better Don if I had written your post myself.

Feb 2 - 09:52 PM

Greg L.

Greg Loesch

A few more thoughts...

The 3D is Avatar is extremely subtle for much of the film...not enough of a presence to be a valid reason for a film grossing over 2 billion. Those numbers only get reached by REPEAT VIEWINGS. You can have the prettiest FX in the world, if your movie sucks, no ones gonna see it again and again. Also, what strikes me as amusing is people seem to look over this point...the FX in Avatar often look so real, they almost cease to be an effect. Much of the movie looks like it could be live-action...like Cameron actually found this distant moon and brought his camera. Very little of the movie is used on whiz-bang action FX like most FX films. For instance, the CGI in Transformers, 2012, GI Joe, Star Trek, District 9, almost exclusively used for action, destruction, and blatant CGI character/human interaction. Sure the Na'vi are CGI marvels, but since most of the film takes place in their world, it quickly loses the feeling of just watching an effect. Most of Avatar in fact just looks like a love story in one of the prettiest undiscovered jungle terrains in the world. You know what other classic sci-fi movie relied on beautiful visuals and FX to tell it's story? Yeah that's right, Kubricks sci-fi masterpiece - you all know the name. But like Avatar, the FX in the movie almost cease to be FX, just beautiful imagery used to enhance the experience of the film. In a way, the film used it's FX to succeed greatly on an artistic level, as many of the most beautiful moments in the film are character interactions with Pandora, and with eachother, moments that NO amount of witty Tarantino dialogue could ever do justice. True cinematic beauty, a rare thing in this day and age.

Basically what I'm getting at, is the reason that movies are great is NOT just pretty FX. It's the way the FX are used to enhance the story and draw in viewers. Avatar is one of the few films to do this, and that's why it is regarded MUCH higher then the Star Wars prequels, Transformers, etc, by critics and audiences. And unlike Avatars CGI blockbuster competition, the story is simple and true. It moves along at breakneck speed (once again, with little action, very surprising), not a single plot hole, or wasted moment. A lot of great ideas are presented in the films, some great meaningful messages, and a lot of poignant moments that many cultures around the world can relate with. It really is a remarkable film, and an absolutely remarkable cinematic achievement. It certainly deserves any award it gets.

Feb 2 - 09:55 PM

A55 Velcro

Bob Bobertson

I am in no way an avatar hater, but you comparing it to 2001 was... just... I don't even know where to start. If you think 2001 was only good because of the visual effects than you best stick with movies like transformers and 2012 and other movies for people with a 2 digit IQ. 2001 made you think afterwords, it didn't try to tell you anything, it didn't try to tell you what was right or what was wrong, in fact after watching that movie I've questioned many things that I find right or wrong (TDK almost did it for me but not quite) and has contributed to who I am as a person, which is why it is one of my favorite movies of all time. The more I thought about avatar after I watched it, the less parts of it made sense and I began to think about all the 2 dimensional characters in a 3 dimensional film. I also thought about all the times when the movie started to preach, which I don't like.

Feb 2 - 11:04 PM

avatar Avenger

Avatar Avengers

Feb 2 - 11:06 PM

A55 Velcro

Bob Bobertson

no one is responding to you, why don't you go join up on one of those avatar super fan sites and troll there so we can discuss the Oscar nominations ok?

Feb 2 - 11:10 PM

avatar Avenger

Avatar Avengers

Feb 2 - 11:13 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Don't feed this troll.

I mean, my god, look at its user name.

It speaks volumes.

Feb 2 - 11:15 PM

avatar Avenger

Avatar Avengers

Feb 2 - 11:17 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You are right about 2001 though it did come with its own gimmick...Cinemarama.

Feb 2 - 11:17 PM

avatar Avenger

Avatar Avengers

Feb 2 - 11:37 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday