Awards Tour: Complete Oscar Winners List

Summary

The Hurt Locker wins big with wins for director Kathryn Bigelow and Best Picture honors. The night also saw Oscars go to Hollywood veterans Sandra Bullock and Jeff Bridges. See the full list of Oscar winners below! And thank you to everyone who participated in our first ever Facebook chat and kept us company on Twitter! Back to Article

Comments

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

Beckham wasn't murdered it was a case of mistaken identity....Beckham shows back up later on in the film, and as far as plot, the movie is more of a character analysis between these 3 men, 2 have short timers disease and are ready to head home and the new staff sargeant pretty much throws any and all rules of engagement out the door. Which is a great scenario for conflict to arise between these men.

Feb 3 - 01:03 PM

dude meister

@ caleb i didn't notice it was beckam, silly me. also props on your participation in this avatar debate, i really appreciate your maturity, and trying to just have a friendly debate, unlike a bunch of those troll out there, props, bro, ahh the message board, a dark, unsafe place, where people engage in arguments about films, then bring in mom/sexuality/penis size/movie hating etc. etc. i really appreciate it man, thanks

Feb 3 - 01:09 PM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

@dudemeister...appreciate it. as far as missing Beckham, its easy to do because he shows up for about 2 seconds before they head out to the bomb aftermath, i had to watch it a couple of times myself.

Feb 3 - 01:16 PM

dude meister

Also i thought whoever played Elridge and Anthony Mackie also were seriously over looked, they gave GREAT performances

Feb 3 - 01:11 PM

Marsha M.

Marsha Mann

I agree...Where the Wild Things Are was brilliant and totally overlooked!

Feb 3 - 01:03 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I agree, even though I enjoyed Avatar. A lot of it sounded like the score from "Glory" (which was also written by James Horner, if I'm correct).

Feb 3 - 01:08 PM

Feb 3 - 01:09 PM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

Feb 3 - 01:16 PM

Feb 3 - 01:11 PM

dude meister

@ marsha: Same here, I love nightmarsh, Physiologically closed off movies, works best in Sci-Fi, Rockwell and Moon were TOTALLY snubbed (GRRRR) Sam Rockwell, I felt, was also snubbed in '02 or '03, not sure for "Dangerous MInd", and the movie itself, He was great, and so was the film! I think he is the most overlooked actors in the awards world, along with Bale for Rescue Dawn, I felt he really deserved a nom

Feb 3 - 01:14 PM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

Feb 3 - 01:16 PM

Adam P.

Adam Paddock

Caleb,

In terms of oscar overlooks or misplaced winners, I agree with their choices about 50% of the time. I definately thought Crash and last years Slumdog Millionaire were great choices. However, movies like Departed I think are way off. If we are talking about originality as a matrix for Best Picture, few people realize that Departed was a knock off of a famous Chinese Triad series, unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment.

Feb 3 - 01:18 PM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

Infernal Affairs

Feb 3 - 01:21 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Oops, my bad Don.

You mentioned Infernal Affairs first!

Feb 3 - 02:40 PM

dude meister

It was actually a remake, and I'm my opinion, a damn good one, I was please with that to be honest

Feb 3 - 01:21 PM

Adam P.

Adam Paddock

You are right, it was a good remake. I am just not a big fan of giving remakes Best Picture nods.

Feb 3 - 01:26 PM

Adam P.

Adam Paddock

I should also add, that Brothers has gotten mixed reviews but few people seem to realize that it is also a knock off of a much better Dutch film.

Feb 3 - 01:27 PM

dude meister

can see where you're coming from, and it is pretty hard to make a good remake these days, my favorite remake has to be Nolan's Insomnia, off a Dutch film, also, great performances from Pachino and Williams, Swank was meh though, gotta say

Feb 3 - 01:34 PM

dude meister

* Damnit! Another correction: 'In, not I'm', my bad; Ialways type fast then post without looking

Feb 3 - 01:24 PM

dude meister

I think it was called 'Internal Affairs'

Feb 3 - 01:24 PM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

Personally I think the Oscar for best picture should have gone to "Letters from Iwo Jima" that year....personally i think the BD and BP oscar for "The Departed" was a long overdue nod to Scorsese, even though I personally feel it was not his best film.

Feb 3 - 01:35 PM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

Agreed on it being a nod to Scorsese, but at least it wasn't one of those hollow wins like Judi Dench winning for Shakespeare in Love when she was in the movie all of like eight minutes. Even if it's not Scorsese's best, he still delivered a solid film worthy of the nom and even the win (arguably, of course).

Feb 3 - 01:46 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Infernal Affairs.

Feb 3 - 02:38 PM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

Thanks, dudemeister and Adam P, both. Good comments, guys. I'm not sure it will ever catch me the way it did you guys, but if I end up seeing it again you've given me some food for thought on what it has to offer. Very cool.

Feb 3 - 01:19 PM

@ don of the dead,
Thanks man, I think you'll notice all this stuff if you really just scrutinize every little plot detail, and like Caleb L. said, the plot is mostly about their struggle dealing with the war, really. Appreciate the shout-out

Feb 3 - 01:28 PM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

Possibly so, though I'll be honest, if a movie doesn't grab me in some capacity in the first viewing, I'm not likely to revisit it. There's just too much other stuff to watch! ;)

Feb 3 - 01:37 PM

dude meister

see you point...i think you should rent it on blu-ray or something, dvd is obsolete know, i'm now calling my dvd collection, my blu-ray collection, it is as howard huges put it, the way of the future, the way of the future ;)

Feb 3 - 01:42 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Tombstonelawdog
Your comment was very amusing especially what your opinion about the Phantom Menace and Avatar, I couldn't agree with you more.

Feb 3 - 01:20 PM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

Infernal Affairs

Feb 3 - 01:21 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Oops, my bad Don.

You mentioned Infernal Affairs first!

Feb 3 - 02:40 PM

Feb 3 - 01:21 PM

Adam P.

Adam Paddock

Feb 3 - 01:26 PM

Adam P.

Adam Paddock

Feb 3 - 01:27 PM

Feb 3 - 01:34 PM

Feb 3 - 01:24 PM

dude meister

I think it was called 'Internal Affairs'

Feb 3 - 01:24 PM

Feb 3 - 01:42 PM

Rishi G.

Rishi Gudka

Feb 3 - 01:32 PM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

@Rishi, was happy about the D9 nod myself......I know it did something right as soon as my wife recommended it to a friend of hers, because my wife absolutely detests Sci-Fi....I had to trick my wife into seeing Avatar by bringing up the fact Cameron made Titanic.

Feb 3 - 01:43 PM

dude meister

same here, caleb L. stoked and totally surprised!

Feb 3 - 01:46 PM

dude meister

aaaah where is cutler? i do miss him and his cutler-isms, don't you?

Feb 3 - 01:48 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

I'll hazard a guess Dudemeister:

Probably banned again. (Try and look at his Pixar profile...curiously emptied of any info...sure sign of a ban). Like a turd you can't flush, he'll be back. He should figure it out that a ban is a ban. But, with his very limited vocabulary it's very, very, easy to see 'who' he is no matter what alt he creates.

I quite like it without him. The forum is...civil and mature. Ah...almost as though real adults are communicating!

Feb 3 - 02:25 PM

dude meister

lol, its hard to convey sarcasm in the written word, i do like ot without him, very much so.
funny comment though, sizzilingg with truth

Feb 3 - 02:30 PM

dude meister

yes and like i said before, an argument about a movie no longer includes: ****ing moms/sexual orientation/empty assault threats/penis size/puberty and so on and so on

Feb 3 - 02:33 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I pretty sure he's banned again too.

I think he was Avatard/avatar Avenger. Those posts are missing as well.

Feb 3 - 02:46 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

"I guarantee Full Metal Jacket gets more repeat viewing than Independance Day"

Perhaps, but only time will tell which films will be classics. Star Wars is a classic with or without the "updated" FX. Wizard of Oz remains a classic despite having 1939 FX.

But does anyone watch Crash anymore? Are people going to watch Slumdog Millionaire in 70 years?

Winning an Oscar for best picture doesn't ensure longevity.

Feb 3 - 03:06 PM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

@DJ I agree with you wholeheartedly, I'm also a huge Sci-Fi buff....but the films you mentioned as classics are not classics because they were carried by great special effects, they had great stories to go along with them.

Feb 3 - 03:10 PM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

@DJ you also mention crash and slumdog millionaire, another statement i happen to agree with....but well done Sci-Fi and war films tend to be watched more repeatedly than other genres so I'm not sure if thats a fair comparison.

Feb 3 - 03:18 PM

The Avenger

kenneth kinderman

No I.m pretty sure he was a maverick genius silenced by the fascists at rottentomatoes. I will avenge his name.
I am the avenger.

Feb 3 - 06:36 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Full Metal Jacket hit like an atom bomb when it came out too.

I'm gonna agree to disagree here. Near Dark has been forgotten by most. (I had to throw another KB film in there)

However, though I wasn't bowled over by it, I hope you are right.

Feb 3 - 02:57 PM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

@dethburger I wouldn't exactly say hit like an atomic bomb, it didn't even make the the top 10 that year for highest grossing films (#1 by the way was that classic drama three men and a baby) nor did it even get nominated for an academy other than best adapted screenplay (The Last Emperor won for that award as well as the BP that year)

Feb 3 - 03:07 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I'm talking on a personal level AND what virtually everyone I know thought of it when it came out...it was all we could talk about.

Did you see it when it opened?

Feb 3 - 04:02 PM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

On the other hand, it's almost like a rite-of-passage to get flamed by him when you first start posting out here. I still have fond memories of our first... well, I hesitate to call it a debate... let us say our first "clash." ;)

Feb 3 - 03:06 PM

dude meister

so do i i man.... so do i

Feb 3 - 03:11 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

"Avatar will most likely win 6 Oscars followed by Hurt locker with 4. Great to see District 9 being nominated for best picture and some other awards. I really enjoyed that movie but its doubtful whether it will win any award. However one thing is sure, no one film will make a clean sweep like Slumdog millionaire did last year. Also this year the Brits have less chances unlike the previous years."

You've pretty much nailed it here dude. I reckon you're probably right.

Feb 3 - 02:21 PM

Feb 3 - 01:34 PM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

Feb 3 - 01:35 PM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

Feb 3 - 01:46 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

Good Friday