Awards Tour: Complete Oscar Winners List

Summary

The Hurt Locker wins big with wins for director Kathryn Bigelow and Best Picture honors. The night also saw Oscars go to Hollywood veterans Sandra Bullock and Jeff Bridges. See the full list of Oscar winners below! And thank you to everyone who participated in our first ever Facebook chat and kept us company on Twitter! Back to Article

Comments

universalguru

Justin Platts

I have to admit that I'm fairly pleased with the 10 choices overall. I was holding out hope that 500 Days of Summer would make it but the buzz has died down to just about nothing. Another July film killed before it had a chance. I haven't seen The Blindside and have heard good things overall from most, but a few negatives here and there thus I reserve my opinion of it kicking any other films out. I'm stoked that Up and District 9 made it, though also disappointed Crazy Heart didn't make the cut either. Overall not too bad. I rather like this nomination format better. Definitely makes for less argument and less chance for another the Reader from kicking out another the Dark Knight (though I liked the Reader ok).

Feb 2 - 10:01 AM

Billy N.

Billy Nawrocki

Does anyone else feel that "The Road" got snubbed? At least in the Best Actor category? Or even Adapted Screenplay? Or Score? Or anything? One of the best movies I saw this year. And 500 Days should have recieved a nom also.

Feb 2 - 10:03 AM

morgan w.

morgan work

Gordon, you've perfected the art of comment ranting.

Feb 2 - 10:04 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

i think he is embarrassed by how wrong he was lol

Feb 2 - 10:06 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

@ don't tase me bro, since you left no reply, don't know who you were talking to mind explaining, thanks dude and ps are we friends? if not i'll add you

Feb 2 - 10:08 AM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

Very interesting build up to the Oscars this year, but some of the noms are just laughable.

The Good

The Hurt Locker: Seen this movie twice, in fact after i viewed it the first time, I had to search out every movie Kathryn Bigelow directed just to see some of her past work....very deserving for its PGA and DGA win....this movie deserves to win BP and BD, more people need to go out and see it. (yes i can tell you there are many innacuracies to the movie but its refreshing to see a movie on the current war that deals with just a good story and good characters without any kind of underlying political bias)

Inglourious Basterds: Best ensemble cast absolutely, loved this film from beginning to end, argueably Tarantinos best film, Waltz deserves the oscar.

District 9: Would be my vote for best original screenplay too bad it wasn't nominated for it, maybe not best film though, regardless the film is original, well acted and well written, its nice to see it up there for BP.

A Serious Man: Coen Bros. Theres my Bias...need I say more.

The Bad.

Avatar: saw it loved the CGI...but I couldn't help but feel embarassed while i was watching it, I got a group of friends together to see it in the theatres, if i wasn't laughing i was cringing in my seat line after line....the story is truly awful and chocked full of cliches....if this picture wins purely on special effects and box office, you might as well throw Transformers 2 up there in the nominees.

Vigo Mortensen: Why?!.....loved him in The Road, was really hoping for a best actor nod here.

Feb 2 - 10:12 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Let me try this again:

Wow. This entire post much encapsulates my thoughts exactly.

Well said dude!

Feb 2 - 10:12 AM

Splitter

Matthew Burge

See, Academy... you wouldn't have had to do this if you hadn't thought your **** smelled better than everyone else's and gave a BP nom to Wall-E and/or The Dark Knight last year.

Feb 2 - 10:13 AM

dicjones

alan whittaker

D9 was my favorite movie I saw this year. If my wife wasn't with me that night, I would have gotten back in line and seen it again. Glad to see it getting some recognition.

I like the 10 movie format, how many Pixar movies would have been in this category had they done this 15 years ago.

Feb 2 - 10:16 AM

brunomen

Bruno Mendes

Glad to see they finally decided to have 10 nominations for Best Picture. It was really unfair to have 10 nominations for Best Screenplay and only 5 for Best Picture. That made it possible for "Up" to be nominated for Best Picture, the only animated movie to be nominated since "Beauty and the Beast".

The Academy has never fully appreciated the quality of superb animated movies, in my humble opinion. Otherwise, "Beauty and the Beast", by far the best picture to be released in 1991, would have won the Oscar for Best Picture.

Feb 2 - 10:30 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

That's because the Academy hates children. Spread the word.

Feb 2 - 10:33 AM

Chris W.

Chris W

Okay... Armond White hated seven out of 10 of the best picture nominees. The only Best Picture nominees he liked were The Blind Side, A Serious Man and The Hurt Locker...

So since Armond liked The Hurt Locker does that alone kill its chances at the Oscars? Can Armond actually end up giving a positive review to a best picture winner? ;)

Inglorious was my favorite film of the year and I'd love to see it sweep its awards. Unfortunately, I feel it will be lucky to take home a two statues. Waltz for sure and possibly a screenplay award.

(500)Days of Summer should have snagged a best picture nomination over The Blind Side.

Great to see District 9 finally get some recognition.

Feb 2 - 10:31 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

That's because the Academy hates children. Spread the word.

Feb 2 - 10:33 AM

Mister_Prophet

Will Massaro

The Hurt Locker, District 9, Inglorious Basterds, Up, and Fantastic Mr. Fox are the only ones up there that deserve to be, imo.

Feb 2 - 10:33 AM

JAKIBA

jk bateman

sherlock got snubbed big time! Robert Downey jr wins the golden globe and then doesnt even get a oscar nom! there are more best pic noms than ever and there is all this bs! hurt locker and district 9 are the only respectable noms in that catagory! I'll check online to see if Christoph Waltz wins for best supporting actor and to see if avatar loses (shouldnt even have been nominated, its just a reboot of the fern gully franchise) but i will not watch the lame *** oscars!

Feb 2 - 10:38 AM

Al M.

Al Maki

Meryl hasn't won for over 20 years? How can she be tired of winning. I'm sure she's very tired of being nominated and not winning!

Feb 2 - 12:59 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Here are my Predictions:

Best Picture: AVATAR or HURT LOCKER. (It's really down to either one of those pictures. Whoever wins best director isn't going to see their films win best picture; it's between Bigelow and Cameron). And people should stop complaining about this category...imagine if they DIDN'T expand it this year? Twice as much complaining? Probably.

Best Actor: Jeff Bridges. He's been nominated 4 times! It's his turn already!

Best Actress: Sandra Bullock. Call it money, call it gravitas, but this lady has made Hollywood a lot of dough in her career...and if they did it for Julia Roberts, they'll do it for Bullock. After CRASH she showed she wasn't a 1-trick pony. Do I adore her full-body (erm, heh-heh) of work? No. But her win in this category won't rock too many boats. Streep is probably tired of winning, Mulligan has a full career ahead of her, Mirren too has already won...and Gabourey Sidibe is a one-off performance. Oscars more often than not reward careers...and Sidibe (for the moment) doesn't really have one beyond Precious.

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz. (But Tucci is really, really past due for something).

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique. (Probably because I think when you nominate two actresses in the same category from the same film they tend to cancel out each other. After that the field gets pretty slim...and Mo'Nique seems obvious for me).

Best Director: (See above on Best Picture)

Best Animated: Fantastic Mr. Fox. "WTF???" You say? Well, Pixar may have screwed 'up' here...they agreed to have their film enter 2 categories. And the competition for Best Animated is the strongest it's been in years. The Academy may want to shake things up a bit and not just be seen as predictably handing Pixar another statuette... This year the nominations in the animated category are a lot more diverse than before, so I think on those merits 'Mr. Fox' may be the upset.

Feb 2 - 10:43 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

@ Dont Tase Me Bro - Good, interesting choice of winners, I think I have given up 'choosing' winners after being disappointed so many times over the years lol.

Feb 2 - 10:48 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

You make some solid predictions yourself Wolf...but yeah, I wish I had a crystal ball. (Then I'd call my bookie)!

Sorry Dudemesiter for the 'vague' post...hopefully I've corrected it.

Feb 2 - 10:54 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

yep you have, thanks, have a good one :)

Feb 2 - 11:11 AM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

I think this is a pretty accurate assessment on how the oscars are going to go, my only disagreement is about wether whoever wins best director cannot win best picture, considering Avatar won the Golden Globe, but not a single award from any of the major guilds and "The Hurt Locker" won the producers guild and directors guild award....and if producers aren't about box office numbers, i don't know who is?, I can see BP and BD both going to "The Hurt Locker"...that and the fact the actors make up the largest voting block in the Academy, I highly doubt they will vote for Avatar for either category and the directors and producers already have made their choice clear.....I'm curious how thw writers guild will vote?

Feb 2 - 11:01 AM

Don of the Dead

D Dark

Hey, Tase! Good to see you out here fightin' the good fight. I think your picks are probably spot on, though that Fantastic Mr. Fox pick is a big gamble!

Feb 2 - 01:51 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Cheers Don!

And I'm 100% with you for the Rockwell snub. MOON was a stroke of genius.

It never fails: Every year the Oscars COMPLETELY ignore a classic. (2008's HUNGER was a major, major oversight. Watch that film and tell me Fassbender deserves unanimous snubs).

I think PIXAR has rolled the dice on UP in 2 categories. It isn't going to win Best Pic. And the Academy might feel that being nominated for Best Pic is its own accolade and may give voting attention to the other films in the Best Animated category.

I could be wrong of course. Time will tell.

Feb 2 - 05:02 PM

JAKIBA

jk bateman

YOU SUCK BALLS... HAVE A NICE DAY!

Feb 2 - 09:28 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

@ Jim C - Mate, you need to calm down. Gordo is a pretty harmless even if he may annoy you with his crazy off the wall style rants. Also I am at least one person that actually cares about my own ancestors and slavery, so I am not sure your about your argument that 'it happened 140 years ago and nobody cares anyway' has any weighting or is fair at all.

On another note, I would like to echo most of the sentiment of the majority of the posters in this forum;

- It is awesome to see D9 receiving some nominationos, however I think I would have preferred to have nominations for Neil Blomkamp &/ or Sharlto Copeley. There is no doubt they deserved them but I think their exclusion and the inclusion of D9 on the BP list is a slight reflection on how the Oscars sometimes trys to balance things out (so to speak).

- JGL & (500) Days of Summer, Sam Rockwell & Moon and I think my fav. Brit movie Fish Tank should maybe have been considered. Although I am probably forgetting a few others, those movies stand out most as some of the best of the year (IMHO).

- BP Battle, this could really go either way and it does not have anything to do with a movie deserving the award. People like to think that this might just be a 2 horse race but has everyone forgotten about the politics involved? The Hurt Locker would seem to be the perfect winner but would the Oscars be showing support for the War? Avatar is a B.O. sensation but does it have the emotional depth and complexity of the other movies? There is the George Clooney factor, which I think elevated Up in the Air to a much greater profile than it might have deserved (though I could be wrong). (This is for you Cutler) There is Up, a BP award for an animated film could usher in a new era for the awards now couldnt it? And of course Inglourious Basterds.

- Best Actor SHOULD go to either Jeff Bridges or Jeremy Renner, however I have the same feeling this year that I had when Mickey Rourke went up against Sean Penn. It should go to either of those two but the love for Clooney might just get him there...

Feb 2 - 10:43 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

okay; I'm seeing AVATAR as if its satirizing the politics of AMERICAN FOREIGN RELATIONS---
To illustrate:
the zombies in GEORGE A. ROMERO'S DAWN OF THE DEAD collectively served as an allegory of the psyche fueling AMERICAN CONSUMERISM; AMERICAN-CONSUMERS who seem to buy everything in sight whether they need it or not, and the zombies seem to want to eat everything in sight whether they're actually hungry or not.

The HUMANS in AVATAR represent the DICHOTOMOUS conflict of American Foreign policy--one side of AMERICA wants to DESTROY and another side of AMERICA wants to protect and maintain foreign cultures and habitats.

Feb 2 - 10:43 AM

ninja13

daniel metzger

Holy crap! District 9, Avatar and Up all nominated for Best picture! I love all those movies, I don't think there's ever been a time where three movies I've seen got nominated for best picture, let alone, movies I think should win. I may actually watch. Although it's probably down to Up and The hurt locker, I'll be rooting for District 9!!!

Feb 2 - 10:44 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Feb 2 - 10:48 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Sorry Dudemesiter for the 'vague' post...hopefully I've corrected it.

Feb 2 - 10:54 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

yep you have, thanks, have a good one :)

Feb 2 - 11:11 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Would have liked to see A Single Man get a nom for best picture. Odd that with the expanded format this classic oscar fodder got excluded.

Feb 2 - 10:52 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast