Avatar Reviews

½ April 25, 2015
When dissecting Avatar and granting it that overly-important numerical "score" that's ultimately going to carry more weight than a commentators' words, one must determine just how much of an impact on that number the special effects and the overall scope and grandeur of the film will have up against the decent but recycled and clichéd storyline that leaves audiences emotionally frigid and wanting something better to fill the void and make this into an all-time great movie. Certainly, one can see that Avatar is an important and destined-to-be prominent film through the rest of the history of the medium not only as a clear-cut fan-favorite but also as a hallmark visual effects movie that will be remembered alongside the likes of Star Wars, The Last Starfighter, Jurassic Park, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Toy Story. Where those pictures succeed, however, is where Avatar lags behind. Each of those films are carried not by their effects but by their stories and all of the emotion and power they bring to the table. Their special effects are undeniably impressive and serve as milestones in cinema history, but for all the dazzle they're but supportive elements to a greater whole. Avatar overwhelms audiences with spectacle but underwhelms through its lack of novelty, absence of thematic import, and shortage of raw emotion, even considering that Cameron's film tries to incorporate the latter two but to lackluster results. The film runs cold despite a strongly-beating heart and plenty of blood and energy flowing through its blue veins, and the result is a dazzling achievement of special effects that should have been so much more.
March 7, 2010
An amazing, inspiring film that made me resent having to return to the real world. the effects are like nothing I've seen before, especially in 3d. This really is a must see movie!
½ April 14, 2015
To quote a James Cameron movie, "It's very pretty Bishop but what am i looking at?" That sums up my opinion of this terrible film. It's visually stunning, and showcased what one could do with four years and $310 million dollars. With that kind of time and money ANY film will be very pretty. Now i want to point out, I watch anime, so the creature designs weren't all that innovative, which sucks because i know JC watches anime so i expected a less eurocentric approach to creature design. It's like they're in Westeros and not on Tattooine. May be i just know of the tube worms he referenced for the flowers. I watch and read sci fi so why are the Na'vi so human? Two eyes, ears, hands, feet, etc. They even fornicate like humans. That only leaves story and plot... What is this the first time liberal white guilt resonated with you? A sci fi tale about the evils of imperialism! Something you should have learned after 13 years of public and or private education. What did we not see Apocalypto? Dances With Wolves? or Ferngully? And why was the sci fi setting needed to tell this tale? But I mentioned story and plot so, "Brace yourselves; winter has come." What is unobtainium, why did they need it, why was it only found there and why couldn't they ask the Na'vi nicely for it? They have the skills and technology to clone an alien body and upload a human mind into it, but not the technology and skills to simply use military might to impose their wills upon the Na'vi. Why not resort to the military option in the first place? They didn't have real time communication between Earth and Pandora so this would be the easiest cover up in human history. And that door swings both ways, why didn't the Na'vi use force? They were fierce enough combatants that the humans did just invade, so why tolerate these creatures that can't breath the atmosphere (NEVERMIND THAT SCENE WHERE Colonel Miles Quaritch RUNS A KILOMETER WHILE HOLDING HIS BREATH AND ENGAGING IN A FIRE FIGHT!). The sad sad way the legendary dragon rider story was told to foreshadow Jake Sully's return to grace in the face of his betrayal of the Na'vi is the exact moment I stopped thinking it was a good movie, and when it happened (AND THEY FOLLOWED JAKE BECAUSE OF IT!) WAS THE EXACT MOMENT i COULD NO LONGER RECOMMEND THE FILM. Now we get to the 45 minute action sequence that is almost the end of this film. Did anyone truly believe they were about to see the humans massacre the Na'vi with flamethrowers and machine guns in this PG-13 movie? Mind you the Na'vi could only win with Jake's strategy and Trudy Chacón's chopper back up, which brings me full circle to why didn't either side resort to military force in the first place? And that question of how long can a human be exposed to Pandora's atmosphere without suffocating comes up again. At 162 minutes long you'd be shocked to know it's not quite over. Now Jake gets transformed into a real Na'vi and leaves open the doors for sequels. That will be about the exact same thing this one was about. More evil humans come to rape and pillage Pandora. It's too long, too simple, too cliched, too predictable, and too expensive to recommend, and 90% of it is downright insulting to my intelligence. No wonder they spent an additional $150 million dollars on marketing. Given it's length, the amount of time and money spent on it, and the marketing tsunami I expected something much better than Ferngully on Endor. That's why I call it Crapatar...
December 20, 2009
Loved this movie. Such an engaging story. While not particularly very deep, or thought provoking, it's still captivating. Between it's beautiful visuals, interesting cinematography, and the perfect amount of action/suspense/conflict, this movie is a must see for anyone who appreciates a good film with a great message.
½ April 10, 2015
the history is to simple. I must admit that the visual effects are good.
½ April 10, 2015
The story, while facing notable similarities with "Pocahontas" or "Dancing with Wolves" mostly due to its transcendentalist theme, is both superbly told and highly entertaining, Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana's performances are outstanding, but, above all, what really makes the ambitious "Avatar" another epic film for James Cameron are the innovative special effects that bring the vast and intriguing world of Pandora to life.
June 12, 2012
absolutely beautiful
½ April 4, 2015
This film is a prime example of cgi over original plot. A yawn-some and unimaginative story pared with sub par acting by half of the cast makes it another half assed at the alien angle. Thank you James Cameron! (sarcasm)
½ October 19, 2009
I saw Avatar in 3D, and now I kinda want to see Avatar not in 3D, because it's quite distracting at first, comes off as a gimmick, and you have to get used to it before you immerse yourself in the movie.

Anyways, I saw it, and I'm sure the comparisons have been made already, but it reminded me of Fern Gully, and The Last Samurai, and Dances With Wolves, and Warcraft 3 (maybe I'm the only one who will make that connection), and half a dozen older references, all with a glossy CGI coat. Just the latest in Hollywood recycling a basic story but making it bigger and better. But, it is damned entertaining once it takes off from the boring 40-minute setup. So, if you want to see an old story done really well and really pretty, I'd say see it, but you won't be blown away by anything but the visuals.
April 2, 2015
Brilliant, flawless and visually stunning.
½ April 1, 2015
This movie was not a favorite. It was very slow and felt like a 4 hour movie maybe even longer. Artistically it was cool but thats pretty much it
½ July 3, 2011
Avatar is a 3D benchmark program married to an early script of Pochahontas. It's a Walt Disney movie and the way it is colorful and fun only underlines the fact how family friendly it is made to be. The story is about war and extinction, stuff like that is not colorful and fun. Yes, it is a wonder of computer technology, but technological wonders happen every day, just look at your 50 gigs pendrive smaller then your thumbnail, since when do we credit that as art?

I do not find avatar a particularly bad movie, but as a general piece of filmmaking it is not worth more praise than any avarage Disney vehicle and the way it pushes cinema towards becoming a 3D entertainment park is not something I regard as being a benefit to human kind.
November 13, 2012
very good movie in 3D good visual plot not anything done before
March 16, 2015
An overproduction that transcends the boundaries of science fiction with a beautiful cinematography, extraordinaries visual effects and a very good script but.. is not the film of the decade. 8/10
May 26, 2010
It's hard not to think that the plot and wit of this movie wasn't compromised to make the special effects and visuals even better and better.
Take those away, and you have a mediocre film that shoves its message down your throat, with a plot that's no where near original.
March 13, 2015
it lived up to the hype i really enjoyed it, its heart felt and touching well worth you time
½ December 10, 2011
great fantasy/sci-fi movie!!! :)
June 30, 2013
-IGNORE THIS "OUT OF FIVE" RATING
2/4
While dispatched on a mission to a moon, a marine is torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home. A visual feast, but writer-diector Cameron's weak story is full of flaws. Superficial, and clichéd beyond belief, but unlike other simple story lines, this one goes on far too long. State-of-the-art effects can only do so much with a script this hackneyed. Contrived dialogue doesn't help.
½ January 21, 2012
This movie just works for me. I know the plot is derivative, but I can't help but get invested in it. It may be Pocahontas in space, but the way the story is told here is more fun than it was in Pocahontas.