Avatar Reviews

October 12, 2015
Avatar is so good on so many levels. A rare case in which a fantasy film as so much depth to it.
October 9, 2015
Pretty colors, vaguely ethnic wailing.
March 3, 2015
Unoriginal, full of clichés, the characterization was very poor, but it has amazing CGI. Totally overrated.
½ December 20, 2009
This is a very conceptual movie where a we are the approaching aliens.
It reflects on a lot of earth history and human morality. And it is also a very beautiful movie.
½ September 26, 2015
of course you are making 3 more of these, sigh
½ January 11, 2015
Eye dazzling visuals backed with some political & spiritual references, this is James Cameron beauty. You may not notice but this film will last for many years to come not only as box office top earner but also as major cult film. "This is our land" This is a universal message well delivered. A message for peace was overlooked by the academy such a shame!
September 24, 2015
It's nice to look at. That's pretty much it.
September 21, 2015
Avatar is a visually stunning film. The basic plot is that old, corporate white guys are destroying the planet and the environment out of greed, so they must be stopped. Oh, and the environment is a living organism or some such nonsense. So if you can buy the heavy handed, hyper-environmentalist premise, or at least look past it, and just enjoy the visual spectacle, you'll probably enjoy it. But all in all it's a fairly shallow visual treat, not worth more than one or two watches.
August 30, 2014
We could compare Avatar to the story of Dances with Wolves until we're blue in the face.
½ September 13, 2015
This movie just sucks nothing compared to district 9, watch that movie instead. Just don't watch this shit. I don't understand why it got a 83 a 48 seems right.
½ September 7, 2015
Barring the by-the-numbers story, James Cameron's "Avatar" retains a supreme amount of imaginative prowess, accentuated by superior CGI/mo-cap work and a knockout score from James Horner.
September 3, 2015
Though I don't think that Avatar can be considered horrible, I don't think that it can be called great because of it's predictable story, characters that are not that well developed, and some of the special effects that don't hold up very well in my eyes.
September 1, 2015
Visually brilliant but the storyline of humans looking for natural resources are evil and the indigenous natives are purely righteous beings is anti-colonial hippy b.s.
August 31, 2015
Maybe here just an "it's trash".
August 31, 2015
This movie deserves five stars because I haven't seen it in years but still decided to come back here and say that, though it wasn't miraculous from a story-telling standpoint, it is one of the most memorable movie-going experiences in my life. The imagery is transcendent.
½ January 1, 2013
I can honestly say I have not seen anything like it on a visual level, but the characters are boring, the motivations don't make sense, and plot is unoriginal.
June 19, 2010
(Extended Edition)

One of my favorite movies, and the extended edition makes it even better. The extended edition adds a lot of extra character development for Jake and Grace, which I think helped the story a LOT, even though I think the original was amazing as it was. While the story at its base level is nothing new per se, it's the execution of that story that makes it so memorable and moving. I think I may still watch the theatrical version on some rewatches for a couple reasons though: The extended version doesn't come in 3D (at least, not yet) and this movie is probably the best 3D movie in existence, and also due to the length. However if a 3D Blu-ray of the extended edition comes out I will probably end up preferring that one. But if you like Avatar and haven't seen the extended version, I HIGHLY recommend it.

August 23, 2015
The only thing going for this movie is visual spectacle, and that just isn't enough to make this a good movie. The lead, Sam Worthington, isn't a particularly good actor (this also shows in the Clash of the Titans remake and it's sequel). The actors you'd expect something from, such as Sigourney Weaver and Zoe Saldana, give surprisingly mediocre performances. The actor that made the most impression (and unsurprisingly the most entertaining) is Stephen Lang playing the hammy Colonel Quaritch.

The plot is rather dull, and naming the MacGuffin of your movie "Unobtainium" is a huge lack of creativity (and just too far of a suspension of disbelief).

James Cameron has always been renowned for his remarkable visual effects (and this hasn't changed with Avatar), but his movies used to have so much more than that.
October 6, 2012
Although the general idea has been done before, Avatar is nevertheless spectacular to watch. The CGI is incredible and the liveliness of the characters helps to make this movie a real Oscar contender.
July 1, 2013
Even if you think the storyline has been done to death, this film is technically brilliant and groundbreaking.