Avatar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Avatar Reviews

April 2, 2016
I love it! I can never get enough of the movie, and i watch it all time! Still not tired of it.
March 30, 2016
Thought the story might be right out of Pocahontas, Avatar is a milestone in cinema, and provides action and effects that will stay above and beyond for many years to come.
½ March 28, 2016
Too many special effects and boring plot that you have seen before. Not gonna lie the movie has stunning visuals, but it isn't the best script.
March 28, 2016
Sure, the plot is simple and somewhat cliche - but the sheer likability of the cast of characters and the magnificent visuals help bring an added dimension to Avatar - along with some masterfully crafted world building.
October 24, 2009
Ground-breaking effects and 3D. The only thing letting it down from a full five stars is the storyline, which has been ripped staight from Pocahontas (sp?).
January 18, 2010
Brilliant movie but the
March 27, 2016
I love this movie because of how anti-oppression it is, specifically how serious it's message is about that, as if it's the opposite of the Fast & Furious and Die Hard movies.
March 9, 2012
In fact, a landmark for the sci-fi, Avatar has definitely one of the best special effects ever made and brings a great experience for those who watched the film. James Cameron has excelled this time compared to blockbusters, years of production have made a brilliant film Avatar.
March 1, 2010
several years into the making and this movie soared. very original and probably james cameron's best movie next to titanic. this year's must see
July 13, 2012
Awesome movie, can't wait to see it again..
March 25, 2016
One of the greatest films of the modern day. It is mainly hated by those who have only seen the first 20 minutes or disliked that it was in 3D. It has a compelling story line and character development. Should be seen before its judged based on common views.
½ November 23, 2012
this movie takes you to another world...
March 23, 2016
Would sooner have blue balls for 1000 years than watch this again.
½ March 22, 2016
Yeah, I guess it looks nice.
March 22, 2016
Look, the story is nothing new and Cameron's creativity is lacking vision. I just loved learning about and watching the Naavi.
August 22, 2012
Well that's an epic in every sense of the meaning! I don't get the point of blaming the weak story. It was a very well written one. They created a new culture and even a new language. Wonder if Cameron could top this with the sequels as he did with the Terminator 2 but I really doubt it because the part of being introduced to this new world and culture wouldn't be as engaging as it was here.
The extended version was a lot more fun and included scenes vital to the movie and its impact which drove me to change the rating from a 9 to a 10. I hope the production studios do not make the mistake again by dictating Cameron the run time. He already does his job perfectly, so leave him do what he does and don't ruin the movie by cutting on the run time.
March 16, 2016
Avatar had a lot of potential to be amazing. It is still very good, but many argue against it since it ripped off Pocahontas/Dances With Wolves. Plots from previous movies or stories have been used and re-used over and over again and we don't complain about many of them being ripped off. Shakespeare has been redone countless times and there is something new with each retelling of his work. With the retelling of Dances With Wolves via Avatar we have a Dances With Wolves for a new generation. Unfortunately, some of the dialogue and plot points are terrible, but shut your brain off and it's a fun experience.

Let's look at the world of Avatar. It's a moon of a planet in another galaxy that seems to bring our fantasies to life with foreign lifeforms beyond our imaginations - monkeys with four arms, crossbreed lifeforms that seem to combine horses with zebras, giant flying creatures that we could probably only compare to pterodactyls, and the list goes on. The plants in this universe are strange and beautiful in their own way as well. Everything on the moon seems to have a blue or green tint to it, practically force-feeding the audience the idea that this world is supposed to represent a sort of Eden. The most notable factor of this world is the human-like creatures labeled as the Na'vi can literally connect with many of the animals as well as their sacred tree through a link that ironically resembles the way digital technologies connect in this day and age. Such a world and the connection between the natives and nature preach heavily for environmentalist movements. Finally, we have to remember this world was created with digital rendering, and the world is nothing short of beautiful.

Disregarding the elaborate world-building involved in this film, the movie is filled with cliches, cheesy dialogue, and one-dimensional characters. Let's look at various ridiculous aspects of Avatar. The name of the mineral the United States businessman (played by Ribisi) is looking for is Unobtainium. Surprisingly, that is not a joke. The head of the military sanction is a one-dimensional character set out only on destroying the Na'vi since they're "savages" (according to his cheesy monologue at the start of the movie) and so that his superiors can get their hands on the Unobtainium. He trusts Sully and believes he will report to him since he used to be a marine and makes a promise to get him his real legs back - that is before his use of the Avatar allows him to enjoy running again. Dialogue coming from this character as well as from Sully and even Sigourney Weaver's character are laughable at moments, making us ask why Cameron didn't consult many co-writers.

What this movie lacks for in quality of writing, however, it makes up with heart. The ideals the Na'vi strive for seem like they have been forgotten in the real world today, and they are what draw us and Sully to them as a community. We cheer for Sully and the Na'vi in the climactic battle within the film which lives up to other great action sequences in recent years even if most of it is CGI, though this film requires heavy use of CGI throughout, so why would the action be any different?

Avatar is good; it cannot be labeled terrible simply because it takes plot points from Dances With Wolves, but it does lack quality based on its disregard for good dialogue and some underdeveloped characters.

3.0/4.0
January 21, 2010
Nice take on an old subject of indigenous people fighting back against industrial culture.
½ January 14, 2010
Not as impressive after watching a second or third time. Still..pretty good, for what it is.
½ March 13, 2016
This movie was fantastic! One of the greatest advancements in movie technology with a great story and special effects that will blow your mind.