83%

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Avatar Reviews

Flucio
July 29, 2014
One of the most creative films ever! With very imagination, a creative screenplay, but a boring story.
Ben G.
March 8, 2010
This is the sort of film you'll love if you like spending your evenings watching elaborate light-shows or Disneyland firework displays on youtube. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Disneyland firework displays, but I wouldn't want to watch one for 3 hours solid.

Avatar is impressive eye-candy, but it's hard to ignore the baffling, directionless cluster-fuck of an excuse for a story.
February 21, 2010
(First viewing - 5/3/2010)
December 1, 2009
Looks like it might be cool
G M.
July 24, 2014
highly overatted, glorified governmetn school nerds and promots silly idea miltary gi are dumb. democrat scifi barf
September 29, 2012
Cameron's return behind the cameras. Having spent years in the creative process, and now having the technology in order to make it possible, his film "Avatar" is now the highest grossing film of all time and it marked the beginning of a new era in CGI and 3D terms.
In the year 2154, humans have consumed every natural resource but found a habitable moon called Pandora. In this moon, we mine a valuable mineral, a unobtanium, but the alien inhabitants, the Na'vi, defend their planet. The company decides to send their security force and some scientist, that develop Na'vi-human hybrids called "Avatars" which can only be operated by genetically match humans, in order to infiltrate the Na'vi with the purpose of gathering information about Pandora's environment. We follow Jake Sully a paraplegic former marine which is send to Pandora to replace his deceased twin brother as an operator of an Avatar.
Having spent years in the creative process, I expected that "Avatar" would count with an original and creative story but I was wrong, it is basically a predictable story about westerns fighting natives but its set up in a different planet with a heavy handed environmental message and it takes elements from a lot of films like Jurassic Park, Return of the Jedi, etc. In the beginning, the film was full of potential but when the Avatars appear in the plot, all that potential is transformed to a National Geographic documentary of Pandora, we get that this world is beautiful but that is mostly what this film offers. The acting is very unbalanced; while some actors give solid performances other just are bland and mediocre at best; there aren't any relatable characters, the character development is all tell don't show and Cameron's trademark suspense is nowhere in this film. What really took years in the making are the special effects and the 3D. Pandora looks beautiful and the Na'vi are so expressive that you never roll your eyes but the special effects are nothing compared to the narrative and characters, just look at Transformers as an example of this.
After giving us great films, Cameron now gives us a mediocre film that couldn't be saved by the amazing special effects. Some people claim that this is a modern classic but it really isn't, which is a shame because this could have been the new "Star Wars". Undeniably is entertaining but that's all it is.
January 21, 2010
Haven't I seen this story somewhere before?...

Like me, you might start to get a sense of déjà vu when watching Avatar, the undeniably epic science-fiction adventure from legendary director James Cameron. Pocahontas, FernGully, and Dances with Wolves are all films that carry the same central story and themes as Avatar, and arguably tackle them better. There's a lot of praise out there for this film and I can see why. You have only to catch a glimpse of it to appreciate its incredible aesthetic and breath-taking world. But is that enough for a film? 4 years ago before its release, it was lauded as the great step forward in cinema - a new dawn in film-making. Now we have hindsight on our side, we can take a look back at what Avatar has taught us about film.

James Cameron is a man who is hard to ignore. His directing credits include such films as Aliens, The Terminator, and Titanic, and his awards shelf must be absolutely rammed. He is a director who seems tireless in the pursuit of innovation in his field, so when 3D resurfaced as a film medium, you could've guessed who would be at the cutting edge. Avatar was filmed entirely using 3D cameras and was therefore meant to be seen in that format. Along with the innumerable masses, I too donned the glasses and remember the experience very clearly. That is to say I remember the stunning visual effects clearly. Today, the 3rd dimension has failed to become an intrinsic part of cinema and I feel that many of us see it deservedly as just another gimmick, yet Avatar stands as a great example of what 3D can achieve when done properly. By committing to and filming directly in 3D, the film displays a palpable depth, creating a window into a realm and drawing you in, unlike some of the horrible retro-fitted 3D nonsense that has come after it. When Cameron goes for an idea, he sticks to it.

Much like its director, it's hard to ignore Avatar mainly due to its stunning visuals. At times it's hard to believe that the world we are witnessing was created inside a computer, such is its beauty and minute detailing. Foliage moves in the wind, light trickles through the trees, and strange creatures move and react with remarkable fluidity. The world feels at once both alien and familiar. I must say however, that the design of the planet never grasped me firmly - it's a neon jungle populated by many-limbed versions of animals, floating mountains, and lanky blue humanoids. Highly advanced performance capture technology was used to (unsurprisingly enough!) capture the performances of the actors for their Na'vi counterparts, thus translating all the intricacies of emotion that the human face conveys. It is yet another tool used to invest you in the world. Avatar is one of the richest visual feasts ever to grace the silver screen, and for that it deserves the awards and praise tailored to that category. Check out the video below for a behind-the-scenes look at the revolutionary technology used during filming.

Avatar cost hundreds of millions of dollars and many years to create, and great care has gone into moulding its look. The same cannot be said of the story and script. As I mentioned earlier, the story is completely predictable and completely bland; you could thrash out the plot just by knowing a bit about the characters and their motivations. At 162 minutes, it is also baggy and over-indulgent, in no way warranting an extended 178 minute cut. The sense of numbing inevitability permeates the script where lines are clichéd and cringe-worthy, most of the dialogue taken up with beating you over the head with explanation of what is going on - Unobtanium? Gee, is that stuff hard to get? With so little to work with, even the best actors among the cast have a hard time making us care about their overblown stereotypical characters; the worst being the grizzled, touch-as-nails commander who is apparently far more resilient than other humans to the potentially dangerous atmosphere on Pandora. He's even got a prominent scar on his face - original eh?

Despite all this, Avatar is still a worthy cinematic milestone. The beauty in its' creation has yet to be surpassed by any CGI in any film to date, and I feel it will remain that way for quite some time...at least until the slew of sequels come along. But all this cannot hide the great flaws in the storytelling. In my opinion, it flounders in attempting to tell a compelling tale and by doing so makes itself merely a spectacle. It stands as a lesson that visual effects cannot carry a film lacking in an engaging story. Don't get me wrong, it is still a good film, but it is an example of an opportunity for greatness missed. It could have been so much more.
April 19, 2013
Wow...James Cameron has the special effects part down pat...story is pretty good, but the movie is pretty long - I thought it was almost over about 3 times
February 8, 2010
Incredible story and immersive, breathtaking world. The story is prudent and depressing. Inspired by our takeover of the Native Americans? Root against humans and for the environment! The 3D enhances the world greatly.
September 22, 2009
Of course you already know it's visually AMAZING. Most of the movie takes place in a world that does not exist...wherein everything you see is created digitally. Avatar's accomplishment is that you forget this fact. Everything, from each blade of grass to the skies and views to the faces, eyes, and skin of the characters looks completely real. The main character states, at one point, that Pandora feels more real than his real life with the other humans. As a viewer you are with him on this.

You can read other reviews for what Avatar does incredibly well...I'm going to continue with things that bothered me. James Cameron is a great "idea man" for movies...he envisioned something amazing and created it. However, he is not a great screenwriter. In movies like The Terminator this isn't a big deal. Even "Titanic" was not ruined by his mediocre ability as a writer. It was still a visual treat and (for most people) a touching love story. For me Avatar suffers from some of the same fate as George Lucas's "Star Wars" movies. Big, sweeping vision...captivating ideas...an overall story arc that is compelling but when you get down to the nitty gritty...the details...there is A LOT to nit pick about. Questions that don't get answered, corny dialog and cheesy names for things. Really you couldn't come up with a better planet name than Pandora? And the whole movie is based around the fact that humans NEED a substance called unobtanium..not sure how that is spelled. Really? Why not hard-to-getium? Impossible-ium?

I'll be honest, I'm hard to please when it comes to a good script and quality acting. I think I was about 60% through "Avatar" before the script started to bother me. I was dazzled...engrossed in the world as I should have been. The story was compelling enough that I was happy being taken along for the ride and not questioning the direction it was going.

However, at that point I started to think. I started to notice I was in a screenwriter's grasp and began looking towards the horizon and wondering where we were going between here and the end of the movie. It's at this point that Avatar runs out of tricks and has nowhere to go but the same place a thousand movies before have. Dances With Wolves. Braveheart. Fern Gully. 300. Visually you're on an alien planet but story-wise you're in a movie you've seen many, many times.

I only say this because at a certain point the movie spoils the momentum it builds...as far as the story and emotions go. There is tragedy but you never cry. There is love but you never feel head-over-heels. There is so much POTENTIAL for this...but the magic never *quite* climaxes enough for a good emotional payoff. The battle is incredible, the love story is beautiful. But there is a *connection* that is missing.

Now...the ONLY reason I care, the only reason I'm critiquing here is because for me Avatar is a solid 4 stars. It's incredible and I'd recommend it to anyone. I just feel a little sad that it isn't 5. You can't go back in time before the thousands of hours of animation and polish...but if you could I think this could easily be a 5 star movie...one of best...with a little work on the script. It needs a little more Shakespeare and little less James Cameron.

If you were blown away EMOTIONALLY as well as visually Avatar would be...well...awe-inspiring well after the screen goes dark.

Pity.
January 22, 2013
The message is far too simple, protect nature, and yes it isn't the most original idea. It does have amazing effects but it was far overrated for it's time, but did play an entertaining, top-notch special effects blockbuster, but not an Academy Award winner I(except for cinematography I suppose).
May 25, 2014
Epic and fantastic adventure with imagination and an important ecological message.
Jordan
May 29, 2010
Its like going to an all you can eat restaurant and making yourself a plate of your favorites foods. There is something for everyone in this film and thats what makes it special. There is a love story, action, effects, sci-fi/ fantasy, 3D, so just take your pick and you will enjoy watching it.
August 27, 2009
After watching Avatar, I felt as though I had completed a momentous Halo session. It was good, and obviously the graphics were pretty spectacular, but once you get past all that spectacle, it's just a Disney movie with sci-fi balls.

Nice try, Cameron, I know you were part of the conception of some of these sci-fi cliches, but you can't use that as an excuse to fill your entire movie with them.
July 15, 2014
Exactly the same story with " Native Indians genocide"
It is how they were massacared and it tells their life style and virtues from the begining..
But, they present the story as if it is unprecedented and it is a totally brilliant fiction.. Who believes?! The blue one of the same shit..
Bryce I

September 24, 2010
It is a Sci-Fi masterpiece in every bit of whatever those words mean. And even though the story is perdictable, and extremely childish, the acting is still believable, and the visuals have reached a stunning point of beauty that I can't even begin to describe.
March 10, 2012
Taking our incredible progression with regard to the animation industry several levels further, Avatar succeeds in making a feature so visually powerful that the ordinary storytelling doesn't take enough away from this remarkable achievement in cinematography.
Charles D. Borg
July 11, 2014
Wow. A visual spectacle that swells with a familiar but tender (well thought out) story. Don't think this is your "KIND" of film? Treat yourself anyway. If you love film, you owe it to yourself. Oh, & see it in IMAX/3-D.
July 11, 2014
James Cameron's astonishing comeback; seamlessly mixes both absolutely groundbreaking visuals and a story with staggering depth.
December 21, 2009
An astounding achievement by James Cameron, but the story isn't really that inventive. In fact, it is ripped right out of the history books (or should I say legends of the history books); but what makes this movie something special is Cameron's ability to capture our imagination and transport it into a new world. Oh, and the visuals were okay too.