Awake Reviews

thmtsang
½ March 19, 2008
Psychological thriller about a wealthy guy (Hayden) who is awake during his heart surgery. He hears the surgeons plot how they are going to kill him. But why? There are many twists to the movie which keeps it interesting. Good plot but very graphic and gorey, not for the faint hearted! Good cast.
October 3, 2010
This film begins with an extreme story and injects you with emotions about life and love. You feel the pain of Hayden Christiansen's character as he is about to have a heart transplant. As they put him to sleep, he somehow does not quite fall asleep and he cannot move, but he can hear and feel everything that is happening to him during the surgery. It is a very interesting premise and it is executed pretty well and kept me on the edge of my seat, but the main problem with this film is that you are focussing on everyone around the main character, instead of the main character himself, while the main character is the only character to like in the entire film. This film becomes a huge mess by the final sequence. I felt the pain halfway through and was having real sypathy for the characters, but after the climax I just lost interest and really did not care what was happening anymore. This film began with promise, but spun out of control and is just above the line of failure. I still enjoyed it, but it should have been so much better!
Clintus M.
½ April 28, 2011
Awake is a far-fetched thriller set against the backdrop of a phenomenon called anesthesia awarness. I didn't care for the casting much: Jessica Alba as the sexy schemer, Terrence Howard as the sympathetic friend yet murderer, and Hayden Christensen as Clay Beresford, the young, rich lead. He's tedious and uninteresting, and I never bought off on him at all. Lena Olin as the mother gives the strongest, most complex performance. Also, a cinematic device was employed using commentary from an anesthetized state and near-death limbo as if body and spirit are separated. This movie couldn't work without it, yet it rings of complete fiction. There are surprising twists, yet the whole thing is never convincing and at least somewhat preposterous.

The medical suspense is real enough but this pill is difficult to swallow. Its mediocre; a promising idea and stylish yet ultimately disappointing.
bbcfloridabound
January 5, 2008
This movie enforces what I have learned in life. The only women you can trust and count on is your Mother. The rest will lie, cheat and stab you in the back no matter how many times they say I love you and trust me. 5 Stars
3niR
February 15, 2010
Hated when the girl cheated. but overall this movie was nice. The story, acting, everything. Not mind blowing. But not that bad either.
ScoopOnline
December 13, 2009
July 11, 2009
This is a film I may not have watched, but happened to see enough of on cable which grabbed my interest. It's a psychological thriller that tells the story of a young man(Hayden Christensen) undergoing heart surgery while experiencing "anesthetic awareness" leaving him awake yet paralyzed throughout the intense operation. While he's "under", you learn there's more going on than routine surgery, and his wife's(Jessica Alba) intentions are indeed quite dubious.
I think this film will particularly interest and send some chills through those who are familiar with the surgical procedure, but will be of interest to anyone who is up for some realistic horror.
movieguru12
December 8, 2007
Another good thrilller.
½ December 6, 2007
Yeah, okay, it was a bit silly,(and the voice overs really were OTT), but it was reasonably short at 80 minutes, and it did keep me on the edge of my seat late at night!
January 5, 2009
I was afraid that this was going to play too heavily on the gimmic of the "anesthic awareness". In the end the overall story was a satisfying mystery.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ November 28, 2007
"Every year, one in 700 people wake up during surgery. When they planned her husband's murder, they never thought he'd be the one."

Jessica Alba, Hayden Christensen, and Terrence Howard star in first-time director/screenwriter Joby Harold's nerve-jangling psychological thriller about a man who experiences the frighteningly common surgical phenomenon known as "anesthetic awareness," in which those laid out on the operating table remain acutely aware of what is going on around them despite remaining completely paralyzed and unable to cry out for help. When a successful young man (Christensen) goes under the knife and realizes that the anesthesia hasn't quite done its job, the horror quickly sets in as his worried wife (Alba) waits anxiously and a terrifying drama unfolds in the operating room.

Review
I was expecting it to be a bad movie but in the end, it turns out the movie got to me. The plot is pretty solid, character development isn't cluttered and the acting wasn't half bad. Well, except of course Hayden Christensen who as usual gives his worst; even voice-over jobs and he's still bad, horribly bad. Jessica Alba gave an above average performance but that doesn't matter really, she's so pretty to look at you couldn't even care less to her dialogs. Terrence Howard and Lena Olin both gives convincing performances. Although some things tend to be a bit overdone overall though, Awake is a finely executed crafty little thriller thanks to heavy set act pieces of Howard and Olin and a well done directorial effort from Joby Harold.
puffchunk
November 30, 2007
As much as I hate Hayden Christensen, this movie was pretty freaky. As if the situation itself wasn't frightening enough (especially cause it actually happens to people), on top of that you have disgusting images of open heart surgery to look at. Jessica Alba on the other hand, gives you something to distract yourself with in the mean time. It was a bit annoying at first to hear him narrate his pain, but the writers found a good way to get past that obstacle soon enough.
November 30, 2007
A fairly good thriller if very predictable and seriously lacking in any tension or suspence. Quite gory surgery on show and the actors do a good job just far too obvious an idea really but still worth a watch.
½ April 9, 2008
much better than i expected
July 5, 2008
If you can accept the farfetched premise, this is actually a pretty absorbing thriller. Awake is based on the condition anaesthesia awareness, which means you feel everything in the surgery after injection, even though your body is totally paralyzed. Creepy huh? And executed effectively! Then because that concept isn't scary or tense enough, enter a murder plot. The idea that all these doctors would be involved in this plot to kill Hayden Christensen and how they think they are able to get away with it takes a lot of suspension of disbelief. But again, it's intriguing and there's even a twist I didn't see coming. Running at a brisk 85 minutes, Awake will keep you just that.
thefog1331
November 27, 2007
Brisk little thriller that more times than not delivers its punches. Even Christensen, who I despise, turns out a decent performance although I wonder if it might have something to do with the rest of the cast being solid actors especially Lena Olin who is still looking pretty darn hot.
deano
July 1, 2007
Average psychological thriller about a man who experiences the frighteningly common surgical phenomenon known as 'anesthetic awareness'. But there was something interesting to find out the mystery and betrayal between the man's best friend and his wife. This is the first time I ever saw Jessica Alba played as a bitch character.
May 8, 2008
At first didn't know what to expect from this movie but after watching it, it was a nice surprise. Its a very well made thriller with unexpected twists, full of suspense, mystery action and adventure, the only thing that fail for me was the ending, I expected a little more from it. The story about a man (Christensen) undergoing heart surgery while experiencing a phenomenon called "anesthetic awareness," which leaves him awake but paralyzed throughout the operation is original and interesting. It has a good cast, Hayden Christensen delivers a very good performance, Jessica Alba Was good but a little weak. Terrence Dashon Howard role was great and his acting was a real surprise. In conclusion, the movie is nothing out of this world but still enjoyable and worth to see.
WrenchLT
April 30, 2008
An interesting plot idea ruined by the lead actor. Hayden Christensen can't act, he wasn't very convincing at all. But it was the very true phenomena of "Anesthesia awareness" that makes this an unpleseant, but interesting viewing - being conscious and able to feel pain during surgery whilst supposedly under general anesthetic is sure to make your skin crawl! Besides this the plot does hold a couple of unexpected, surprising plot twists which will catch you out. Overall it's good, but not as good as it could have been.
½ March 17, 2008
This was a grat suspenseful dramatic movie with intense scenes and excitement. The twists were plentiful and greatly recieved. The only fault is the beginning wasn't very gripping. Sam is such a bitch. I hope this never happens to me!