Slumdog's Danny Boyle Wins DGA Award

Summary

Danny Boyle takes home another win for Best Director from the Director's Guild of America -- could Oscar gold be just around the corner? See who else was nominated this year in our full list of nominees and winners. Back to Article

Comments

akatsuki

Wen Sheng Cheak

Great to see Danny Boyle win.
This should be the real best director list for oscars. I am rather certain Slumdog will get the top honors for oscars.

Feb 1 - 04:59 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Well surprise, surprise, another award for "Slumdog". I bet they're getting tired of his stuff. Well, he better make it last till the Oscars. He'll win, we all know it. I'm glad to see "The Dark Knight" at least being nominated. The Oscars are showing they just don't have the balls of other award ceremony's.

Feb 1 - 05:57 AM

Cory C.

Cory Clark

I just saw Slumdog on Friday night and was really impressed. Danny Boyle is an extremely talented director and storyteller and is completely deserving of these awards... I won't be at all surprised if he wins best picture at the Oscars.

Feb 1 - 06:50 AM

Sarang B.

Sarang Brahme

Being from India it's a great pride and honor to have this film receiving so much of glory and awards. I think Danny and his team has captured the right emotions and picture of a boy with big dreamz. Thums up all the way....

Feb 1 - 10:17 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Best Picture will be between Slumdog and Milk, it's gonna be really close, but I'm going for Milk.

Feb 1 - 11:35 AM

Nathaniel

Julian DeBerry

Milk doesn't really have a chance. Slumdog is most likely going to win. The only competition it really has is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Feb 1 - 12:38 PM

Nathaniel

Julian DeBerry

Feb 1 - 12:38 PM

underoath18

Mitch Jones

I wonder what the discussion for reality tv was like. Who sits around and seriously considers the direction for a show like America's Next Top Model? It would hurt me to be a director and give credit to a show with Tyra Banks on it.

Feb 1 - 12:41 PM

mrdanny

danny hannon

cheers to Danny Boyle. His movies always have such great stories and he has a true love for developing characters. Ive enjoyed all his movies. (yes, even "Sunshine")... Slumdog will sweep!!

Feb 1 - 02:54 PM

ZiGyStRdUsT

Carlos Monino

Danny Boyle is amazing

Feb 1 - 06:48 PM

BrokebackYoda

Jake Rooney

I read things like this and I honestly can't tell what you people are high on when you say "Slumdog Millionaire" was a good movie. I would rather have had "The Day the Earth Stood Still" get nominated for Best Picture, and I hated that movie. "Milk" will win because by the time the oscars roll around people will have had enough of this pretentious piece of junk. Saw "The Reader" today. The Academy must be high too. MILK!!!!

Feb 1 - 10:08 PM

Peter C.

Peter Chelsom

Slumdog stands out because it is not a vehicle for Oscars and other awards; it is just a great film by a great director who has no need to point to his own brilliance during our watching of it. Bi-product: it will win. Personally I'm sick of too much "look at me" this season and not enough great films. I'm DGA, WGA and Academy and I'm saddened that Gran Torino did not get a good enough look in. A small film that has just passed $111m domestic. Wouldn't that make it the other "little film that could" for chrissakes???!!! Anyway, the point of this is to congratulate Danny Boyle on a totally deserved win.

Feb 1 - 10:41 PM

BrokebackYoda

Jake Rooney

Um no. That's EXACTLY what it is. The movie says nothing new. Dannydog Boyle has made ONE good movie. "Trainspotting". Fox is a bunch of greedy little buggers and you know they saw this film as a sure Oscar contenter. Just like "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Juno". Again, two over-rated movies that the Academy nominated because of their "independent" status. Its total crap. If "Slumdog" wins it will be the next "Chicago".

Feb 2 - 07:38 AM

Peter C.

Peter Chelsom

...the next Chicago. Meaning?

Feb 2 - 08:52 AM

Rishi G.

Rishi Gudka

I'm glad the majority of the comments agree that Slumdog is truly a fantastic movie on all accounts. Such movies only come once in a blue moon and it would be great if it sweeps the BAFTAs and Oscars just like it has sweeped most of the other award ceremonies this season. Congratulations Danny Boyle, can't wait for your next movie!

Feb 2 - 10:45 AM

Peter C.

Peter Chelsom

...the next Chicago. Meaning?

Feb 2 - 08:52 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

I agree that "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Juno" were not worthy of their nominations, but "Slumdog" is a fantastic movie. It would be very deserving were it to win.

Feb 2 - 09:58 AM

Rishi G.

Rishi Gudka

Feb 2 - 10:45 AM

Zippedychick

Amanda Willis

My writing about film class is doing a lot Danny Boyle films this semester so by the end I'll have seen four more of his movies. I saw Millions the other day and loved it, Boyle really does know how to direct children, its pretty cool. And I'm very excited for Slumdog Millionaire to be getting all these awards. It's a very touching movie and visually spectacular a lot of the time. I really hope it wins all the Oscars. And In Bruges because that was honestly my favorite movie of 2008. :)

Feb 2 - 11:17 PM

daveinboca

dave inboca

Bruges was my favorite movie of the year before I saw Slumdog, so I guess Danny-Boy Boyle has got the vibe as far as my Irish eyes are concerned! Slumdog is a jump over the moon as far as flicks in the last decade are concerned and I think you have to be totally contrarian not to get hooked on this amazing awesome flick. I have been to Bombay twice and Mumbai three times since! The famous lake of sewage near the airport was shown by a taxi driver as one of the wonders of Bombay! Is it still there? Or did they make another lake just for the Mumbai shooting of Bombay?

The Hindus raiding the Muslim neighborhood was very searing & the murder of Jamal's mom terrible. Danny B. left out the pigs the Hindus let loose---that would be too realistic, as would be Muslims retaliating by beating cows in Hindu neighborhoods, India is the COMPLEAT trip from an FSO who's been to 50 countries.

Feb 13 - 12:58 PM

daveinboca

dave inboca

Feb 13 - 01:02 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast