Away From Her - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Away From Her Reviews

November 1, 2015
I watched a beloved relative fade away suddenly and gradually from this disease. Why do the film at all? Go to a local nursing home and visit the afflicted. This is pure fiction wrapped in a cloak of syrupy sentimentalism.
October 29, 2015
the leads r the fuel that makes this pic about alzheimer's disease
½ October 2, 2015
What a great directing debut from Polley and Christie is award worthy in the way she treats her character......BRAVO.
May 29, 2015
A husband's devotion to his wife is tested when she suffers from Alzheimer's and must go to a nursing home.
A slow, sensitive, and deeply affecting drama, Away From Her features wonderful performances by its leads and Sarah Polley's steady directorial hand. Julie Christie is wonderfully tragic, beating Julianne Moore to this punch a long time ago, and Gordon Pinsent, whom I've never seen before, positively carries this film. Grant is flawed - his flaws sometimes hijacking the plot - but he also seems like the type of husband that we might all wish we were or had. And the ending ... well, it's subtle and lovely and very sad.
Overall, with all due respect to Still Alice, Away From Her is one of the best films about Alzheimer's.
May 20, 2015
Emotional, painful, frustrating journey.

The story of a woman who is put in a home after she develops Alzheimer's Disease, how her and her husband cope with with this, and how their relationship is affected.

Very sensitively told, making for a very emotional movie. Maybe too sensitively done: the film moves incredibly slowly. Every scene is drawn out to breaking point. Plus there are some incredibly frustrating turns of events, which add to the irritation.

However, the level of engagement with the characters is high enough for you to sit through it all.

It's not a perfect movie, far from it - for the reasons mentioned above and the lack of a punchy or profound ending - but is watchable and endurable.
½ February 27, 2015
Beautifull and sweet to see once ...about euh..........Alzheimer
½ February 17, 2015
This is a moving and deeply emotional portrayal of the onset of Alzheimer and how it impacts a couple. Cinematography is beautiful. There are though certain problems with plausibility and 3/4 of the way through, Polley takes the film in an unnecessary direction adding zero value.
December 11, 2014
Loved it, initially was skeptical about the movie with two oldies as the lead but 20 minutes in and I was hooked. Great acting and superb direction but the best part is the crazy story which is about a lady having Alzheimer and shifting to care centre while her husband wants her to stay home. There are layers and layers of emotions which are very complex to comprehend. At the end was not sure what to make of it - Wonder.
December 6, 2014
It's a nice movie with nice performance and ironically the ones that didn't get Oscar nominations stood out the most to me, Gordon Pinsent and Olympia Dukakis. Christie did a nice job too but I really loved the scenes between Dukakis and Pinsent.
April 23, 2011
I didn't like it at first, what with the ugly soft-focus and anti-septic lighting, self-consciously writerly dialogue that probably worked better on the page, and the muffled, musty tone and pacing. It loosens up after the first act, though, and eventually won me over. It turns into a charming, compelling, character-rich, and profoundly sad film.
½ November 19, 2014
Wow, this was a pretty moving movie. I'd read the short story, but the movie is much stronger, which has a lot to do with the excellent casting of Julie Christie. Really, every expression that crossed her face was so believable and authentic, and it was heartbreaking to see her constantly wavering between recognition and confusion. Olympia Dukakis wa a good choice for Marian, too.

I also enjoyed some of the elements that were added, like the occasional humor to lighten the atmosphere (for example, when Fiona pretends to not remember something, then says "just kidding," and more notably the man at Meadowlake who narrates everything happening around him).

I could really feel for Grant throughout the movie. Whenever he'd approach Fiona, I'd cringe a little, knowing that him acting like her husband would confuse her, and even make her angry in some cases (the "just...don't" was heartbreaking), yet I could completely understand why he'd act the way he did. And then it ended on that perfect bittersweet note, with her remembering him and them sharing one peaceful moment together (though I kinda felt bad for Aubrey, waiting for her in the background).
October 6, 2014
This movie was so heart touching to me. I love how educational it seems to be and how it shows that everyone with Alzheimer's act completely different and also showed how it impacts the other loved one. They'll have their days where they remember pretty much anything but then a day where they're zoned. I wanted to see it because I'm a nurse the runs an assisted living just for Dementia/Alzheimer's and one of the saddest thing in the job is when one of my residents can remember I'm from Missouri that we talked about 2 months ago but can never remember his wife of 55 years. Everyone should see this and just feel the impact and how interesting but yet sad this disease really is.
½ August 29, 2014
Grant (Gordon Pinsent) just wants to be with his wife of 44 years, Fiona (Julie Christie). But Fiona knows and accepts that dementia is setting in, and she's losing herself. This Canadian film by first-time director Sarah Polley captures Grant's struggles to come to terms with Fiona's journey into senility.

The acting in this simple tale based on an Alice Munro short story is powerful and compelling. The staging and cinematography, however, are odd at times. There are some beautiful scenes, but there are also some scenes that either contain ambiguous symbolism or outright continuity errors. Although the story seems to cover at least a year, all the scenes are shot in winter; characters are always bundled up in heavy coats and scarves. Cross-country skiing is a recurring motif. It's as though Polley is experimenting with different camera and lighting techniques on her first feature, so there is an inconsistent feel to the visuals.

Still, this is a proud Canadian film that is touching and heartfelt.
December 4, 2011
really reminiscent of atom egoyan's films, which in my opinion is NOT a compliment, at all. though to be fair, this wasn't quite as bad as an egoyan film, but it was pretty close. i think this "canadian" filmmaking style is just something i personally don't connect to and so that influences the way i evaluate films of this style. i understand that this is a "style" , but to be honest, it just looks like sloppy, self-indulgent filmmaking to me, and the only thing that keeps me from writing these filmmakers (egoyan/poley/every other "canadian" filmmaker) off as completely incompetent is that they somehow seem to have a fan base. this film in particular, was inexcusably dull, and i think that's because it, like every other canadian film, lacked drama and heart. nothing was pushed to the limit, everything was ordinary, the characters went to the brink of conflict and just backed off, spending the DRONING length of the film just talking about how they felt instead of showing it. i also thought the alzheimer's disease wasn't portrayed very realistically - the character seemed to conveniently forget and remember to serve the plot, to the point where it really felt like the character was consciously pretending to have alzheimer's to punish her husband. the other characters also suffered, because they weren't able to establish their relationships/motives - we had no idea how anyone felt about anyone else or why they acted the way they did, so all their actions seemed forced, artificial and purely to serve the rather non-existent plot. the dialogue of course didn't help at all, since the characters spoke in incoherent, cryptic riddles that were supposed to be deep and profound, but in actuality just made the characters even more superficial and less human. i was unable to empathize with any of these characters because i didn't believe that any of them CARED about what was happening - they said some cryptic words, walked around, cross-country skied (which must be one of the most visually boring sports ever) but none of it seemed to lead to anything. the movie inched along at a glacial pace, but it also felt unfinished because nothing happened. i don't know - maybe i'm just not equipped to understand the art of this type of canadian filmmaking, but i think at the core of it, if a film can't make you feel, it's failed as entertainment and as art.
July 14, 2014
I loved the husband's dedication to his wife even when she seemed to be treating him the opposite way. His love for her even went to the extent of reuniting her with her newly found companion. How we all wish for someone like him.
February 18, 2008
Perhaps the saddest movie I have ever seen, and it would not have been affecting without the amazing lead performances. One caveat, I get a little perturbed when one actor gets lauded due to the fact that they have the "glory" role, when the movie is truly held together by the other actor doing the heavy lifting. Julie Christie deserves all accolades headed her way for her work, but Gordon Pinsent deserves the same. Without his understated performance,we wouldn't be affected. We're saddened by Fiona's tragic fade away, but by seeing it through her loving husband's eyes, it's wrenching.
September 17, 2007
Gordon Pinset is the Canadian DeNiro - without all the mob movies, ok he is the Canadian Robert Duvall.
½ April 15, 2014
I found myself tearing up within the first fifteen minutes of watching this touching and painful story. It hit pretty close to home. Julie Christie's performance was incredible.
April 9, 2014
Amazing to watch, at a certain age. Beautiful and caring. Great performances and thought provoking