Away We Go Reviews

½ June 13, 2009
Was never going to be a movie for me - couple in their 30's (she looking way older), discover they are about to become parents and go on a road trip to find a new home to bring up the baby.
I really hated the portal of the parents as selfish for moving away to fulfill a life long dream. The couple came across as way more selfish for not being happy for them.
Some of the other women in this were not convincing either. One still breast feeding her toddler (okay, I realise there women who do this, but all the other stuff as well?) and the "perfect" mum who goes pole dancing to deal with her sadness over miscarriage.
The guy dresses like a dork all the way through this and looks about 20. The vagina line made me cringe too, plus the opening scene. Just two people you don't want to think of in that context!
It has its nice moments, it's not all horrible, and I'm glad I got to see it, but it's certainly not a movie I ever want to see again.
½ July 22, 2012
Sam Mendes' 'Away We Go' is a new, refreshing step for the director that is very welcome. He and his actors create a perfect sense of pathos and charm that captures the viewer. John Krasinski exudes quirk and carries most of the comedic work in the film, while Maya Rudolph seems to perfectly ground his eccentric character. Both are the reason this romantic comedy exceeds all expectations.
½ November 9, 2009
Not your usual slice-of-life fare, Away We Go is an honest, genuinely-felt and genuinely funny film about a moment in which the world opens up, and any decision can be made, with the catch being that the decision regards where to raise one's child. There are parts that will make you laugh out loud and others that may just break your heart as you follow the young lovers around America (and briefly, into Canada!) on their search for the perfect home. Ably acted - almost underplayed - by both Rudolph, whose character stands firm in her rejection of marriage, and Krasinski, well-cast as the latent romantic, the movie's a little squishy around its edges, but it's very easy to feel these characters, and to enjoy the varied characters - bit parts for great actors - they visit along the way. Well worth seeing once.
½ July 2, 2011
Very darling. Some sweet-as-fuck moments like the fruit tree story and the stroller chase. I also really dig the awkward juxtaposition of sad and erotic in Melanie Lynskey's dead-eyed pole dance after her character suffers her fifth miscarriage.
½ June 24, 2011
Mendes proves he's capable of something other than high drama with this adorably "dramedy." Krasinski and Rudolph are both solid, but it's the supporting cast that make the movie worth your time.
November 20, 2010
Director Sam Mendes may never reach the abundant award winning heights of "American Beauty" again, but he's proved along the road (Revolutionary and Perdition included) that he can still deliver the goods. This is a change of direction for him altogether but it's still a fine addition to his growing catalogue of family dramas.
Burt (John Krasinski) and Verona (Maya Rudolph) are expecting their first baby. When Burt's parents, the couple's sole reason for moving to their current non-descript town, decide to leave the US, the couple go on a trip cross-country to find somewhere to raise their child.
When the film opens we are given a introduction to the solid relationship that the two main characters share, as while performing oral sex on his partner, Burt candidly talks about the theory of different vaginal flavours due to menopause or pregnancy. This duly recieves a slap in the face mid-performance, and thankfully for us he was talking about the latter. So then begins the journey of Burt & Verona as they mould the future of their family. John Krasinski and especially Maya Rudolph are a delight as the two endearing parents-to-be. In fact all the performances are appealing and subtly real and the whole cast pitches in. The real highlights though are the eccentric characters on our protaganists travels, mainly Alison Janney as the witty and offensive ex-colleague and Maggie Gyllenhaal as the free spirited sister. They are particular standouts in an exceptional cast. Despite mainly being a humorous road-trip, it's peppered with some wise and wonderful scenes and has some moments of heartbreaking realism. The soundtrack is also filled with wonderful gems of music and despite it's style, it's missing only one thing...a Nick Drake song.
Mendes has equipt himself well once more and delivered an unusually heartwarming and quite lovely little film.
cosmo313
June 6, 2011
Mendes does Alexander Payne (lite)...and the result is actually not too bad. It's really kind of refreshing and necessary given the content and tone of his previous films. I liked all of those, but one is allowed to stray from their norm once in a while. In fact, I think it might be kind of necessary at times.

This is a nice little indie dramedy that, even though it might come off as a bit smug or possibly to sappy at times, and has an ending I didn't completely buy, is a nice little piece of entertainment that features some great moments, boasts terrific performances from the two leads and the notable array of supporting players, and made me feel a little less cynical, but not oblivious to reality.

It might be a tad meandering at times, but I never actually got bored or anything. And it is weird to think that Mendes helmed this, but I don't think this will be a black spot on his career. If you want to see a 21 st century film about pregnancy that isn't overflowing with gross out humor and profanity, or chock full of wittiness and teen speak, then this might be a film for you.

Also, even though I hate to use the word hipster, it is a look that fits Krasinski well, what with his beard, glasses, and shaggy hair.
deano
June 4, 2009
"Are we fuck-ups?" asks Maya Rudolph's Verona of her boyfriend, John Krasinski's Burt. It is, despite the raw language, a poignant moment in a film full of them, as these 30-something soon-to-be-parents consider their lives and how they're going to cope with the impending arrival of a baby. They have a cardboard window, she reasons: they must be fuck-ups.
It's odd that a film about two people wanting so desperately to do the right thing can be so alienating.
When they are on the cross-country trip around North America, as the visits start mounting up, it's hard not to feel like a guest at a dinner party where everyone regales you with advice until you want to tell them to shut up. Eventually this undoes the solid work by Krasinski and Rudolph, who convince as the loving couple searching for a home - although so self-contained and insular is their relationship that, at times, watching them can be a distant experience. It's a shame, for this is a story with its heart most definitely in the right place.
½ September 13, 2010
This was such a nice movie. I just finished watching this and I feel like I am in chick flick heaven. I am a big fan of John Krasinski (yes, I love the Office), so I am sure that helped alot. I think his humor is just adorable, and I thought that this movie was just adorable. Kudos to the music in this movie, also. Just an all round funny, touching movie.
½ July 2, 2009
A disappointingly boring, too quirky dramedy which centers on a young couple (John Krasinski, Maya Rudolph), who are preparing to have their first child, and their desire to find the perfect home for where to start their young family. This film, almost inexplicably, just didn't do it for me. I love most of the cast (big fan of Krasinski, Daniels, Gyllenhaal, O'Hara, Janney, and Gaffigan), but a lot of the characters in the story feel forced into place, with somewhat annoying two lead characters the movie expects us to care about. Certainly not a horrible movie, as it does have some nice touches and the ending (although obviously predictable) feels genuine enough, but it doesn't bring this movie to "slightly above-average territory". The performances from the most part are good, but the Maggie Gyllenhaal family belongs in some other movie.
April 4, 2010
Amazingly good! The casting was superb, the relevance to youth tactful, and the message of family both beautiful and comically perfect.
August 28, 2010
A sweet, sensitive and funny road movie with great performances and a wonderful soundtrack. A film that is both heartwarming and as sharp as Mendes' previous works - and the whole scene with Maggie Gyllenhaal in Madison is just priceless!
ajaymuthecooldevils
July 25, 2009
I love Sam Mendes work and I love John Krasinski's performance before, but I didn't understand why I can't like this movie... I know that Sam Mendes directs another movies that different from his movies before, and that was good... And John Krasinski gave more drama performance that a comedy performance that he usually gives, and that was good too... But still I can't like this movie like their other work before... The story is simple, a couple are having a baby and they are trying to find the right place to gave a baby born and to raise their baby, so they flew across the U.S.A. and visit their old friends to find the place they exactly wanted to raise their baby... Maya Rudolph gave a good and strong performance as Verona, while Maggie Gyllenhaal shows a short but good performance as LN... The other cast did okay too, but maybe it's just the flow of this story that makes me a little bored... Overall, it's a good movie and lovely one, but it just bored me so I can't gave this movie a higher rating than just an average movie...
hunterjt13
August 8, 2010
There are a lot of so-sweet-I-shit-chocolate moments in this film, and the undeniable chemistry between Rudolph and Krasinski charmed me. But the story has issues. First, there is little lasting conflict between the two protagonists, and the conflict that they eventually try to develop comes out of nowhere. Second, even I know a couple normal people, and if I wanted guidance on parenthood, I would probably see my normal friends before I visit the militant feminist. In other words, some of the supporting characters are too outlandish; it is as though the filmmakers didn't think their main protagonists could carry the film. This is not to say that the film isn't memorable and sweet: "No one is in love like us." Aww.
maxthesax
½ August 3, 2010
at first glance this film can be dismissed as a humerous bit of fluff; however, looking past the obvious you can find a serious thread about what it really means to be bringing up a child.

I've seen so many instances in real life where the compelling urge is to breed and carry on the lifeline; giving no real thought to what it is that you are getting yourself into. This film should be required watching to all who wish to procreate.

Aside from the aforementioned cautionary tale, you have set pieces using different locales as backdrops, which allows the supporting charactors a chance to shine. Allison Janney is hilarious as the brash friend who apparantly has no filter between her brain and her mouth. Maggie Gyllenhaal is equally fresh as a quasi-zen intellectual who is a arrogant elitist underneath.

Where the film really comes into focus is in the final third where the expectant couple travel to Miami to help a brother whose wife has just he and their 6 year old daughter - a really nice scene at the table when the brother says that his wife has destroyed any chance of his daughter having a normal life.

This scene is followed by a wonderful one where the expectant couple make vows to each other while side by side on a trampoline; which leads to another nice scene the next morning where the expectant mother is sitting under an orange tree telling a poignant memory of her father.

Overall this is well acted, honestly filmed and has a nice story arc. It is hampered a bit by its own format; having a bit too much of a set stance to really truly shine - but it is a worthwhile watch regardless.
½ June 24, 2010
If you've just had or are expecting a baby and or babies, Away We Go will increase your anxiety tenfold. John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph play an expectant couple trying to figure out where to start their family and with each encounter with their assorted nutjob friends and relatives, they get unintended advice as to what not to do. As great as Krasinski (who's really starting to wear on me) and Rudolph were together, its the supporting performances that make Away We go. Alison Janney was a pleasantly discomforting nutjob (Jim Gaffigan as her husband didn't hurt either) but Maggie Gyllenhaal stole the show in one of the most rage-inducing performances I've seen in my life. She made Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List seem likable. Director Sam Mendes as always did a great job directing and whipped up some beautiful imagery but like I said, if you've got a kid on the way, for the love of God, DON'T DO IT...!
½ January 28, 2010
This movie was so cute, sweet, and funny. I loved it! There were a couple of hilarious scenes.
½ January 31, 2010
It was really cute. The characters were likable (except for the ones who weren't supposed to be), and it had a pretty cool soundtrack. Sam Mendes excels at capturing the human-interest story. My only complaint was that it could be a bit slow at times.
½ July 3, 2009
Probably the quirky gem of 2009, "AWAY WE GO" is just one of those satisfying little films that if you connect with it (and it's characters), you'll be left feeling very rewarded as the credits roll. I connected with it...

AWAY WE GO is one of the best films of 2009. A very welcome stylistic change for Sam Mendes.
DerekA101
½ December 27, 2009
Away We Go is a cute, spunky romance film that deals with the issue of pregnancy out of wedlock, which is very similar to Juno. This time around, our lovely couple's are in their late 20's, early 30's and are madly in love (just not married or engaged due to some ridiculous anti-marriage sentiments). Upon realizing their situation, Burt and Verona set out on a road trip across country to discover the ideal place to raise a child. Along the way, the two discover more about themselves then they ever imagined.Newcomers John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph deliver strong performances. Jeff Daniels, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Catherine O'Hara also appear in supporting roles. Krasinski and Rudolph have an undeniably infectious chemistry together. Their an ideal couple that people can connect with because they're not an over-glamorized, stereotypical Hollywood couple. They're both average looking with noticeable flaws... it's nice to see average people on screen falling in love. I loved Gyllenhaal and O'Hara's portrayal of their characters... but both were drawn up to be too cartoonish. The scene's with them were humorous, but still served to cheapen the film. This film has a lot to say about relationships, and it serves to teach a valuable lesson. A sweet and touching rom com that is a bit more sophisticated than Juno, but fails to be as impressive. It is still worth your time though.