"Babel," "Departed," And A Few Surprises Lead Golden Globes Nominations

Summary

"Babel"'s back in the game as this year's Golden Globes nominations were announced, including many expected Oscar pics -- and a few smaller surprises. Back to Article

Comments

downwithstarbucks

kevin andersen

[b]half nelson?[/b]
ryan gosling had the best performance of the year (that i've seen - can't say i've seen leo in blood or will in pursuit yet). sad he gets denied here

Dec 14 - 02:59 PM

245_trioxin

thomas carter

I think any song out of the tenacous d movie or even idlewild should have been nominated. i mean if three 6 mafia can win an oscar ya know?

thomas of the living dead

Dec 14 - 03:20 PM

Enemy

Roland Eimer

Unfortunately, the Golden Globes are a joke and probably the worst awards show artistically; just nominating the most popular/most talked about movies and especially TV shows, generally.

Dec 14 - 03:46 PM

the_shadow

Zayed Khan

that's certainly true, but it looks like they've hit a new low this time around. the year has not been as bad for movies, as some these noms would seem to suggest.

Dec 14 - 03:56 PM

the_shadow

Zayed Khan

Dec 14 - 03:56 PM

dagreenman18

Brian Lorenzo

to be fair, the Globes have gotten better with more indie films, but their still garbage compared to the Oscars. speaking of which, is Jon Stewart hosting again this year? god i hope so, it was the best Oscar night i've seen in the longest time.

Dec 14 - 05:13 PM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Please tell me those drama noms are a joke! I'm sure "Bobby" was typo that was supposed to read "Letters from Iwo Jima" or "Flags of Our Fathers."

Dec 14 - 06:09 PM

Instructo

Bryce Marrero

globes wont decide much in terms of oscars this year....btw someone asked if jon stewart is hosting again...he is not..ellen degeneres will be hosting (although i wished it was jon he did a good job)

Dec 14 - 07:31 PM

lavatory love machine

juan carlos petruchi

at least the golden globes didn't give a best pic award to crash

the oscars?? now that's a joke

Dec 14 - 08:10 PM

Mike

First Last

Agreed! Well-said! After last year the Oscars became a major joke.

As for the Globe noms:

Great for Maggie G. Woohoo! [b]Sherrybaby[/b] looks great and she looks great in it. I was so hoping she'd be nominated. Love her!

Great for Ferrell, Meryl, Annette, Emily Blunt, and Gustavo Santaolalla (I hope he wins).

With Maggie's nomination I can't say I'm disappointed at all. There are some good ones. A little surprising though they chose to ignore Ryan Gosling for [b]Half Nelson[/b]. Leo shouldn't have gotten nominated for two in the same category. Oh well, at least it should cancel him out for winning because it will divide the votes for him between the two movies. Will Smith shouldn't be nominated. At least he won't be at the Oscars. I just hope Maggie's nom carries over to the Oscar noms, and I also hope they expand [b]Sherrybaby[/b] a bit now.

Since they decided to go with some younger talent this year, such as Emily Blunt, it's totally unfair that they looked over Ellen Page for [b]Hard Candy[/b].

I disagree highly with the person who said it hasn't been a crappy year for movies because it has been. It's one of the worst in ages by far. I haven't rated a movie higher than an [b]A-[/b] yet. It doesn't look like any movie this year will be able to get a perfect rating from me.

Dec 14 - 10:54 PM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

Hate to break it to you, but Will Smith most likely will get a Best Actor Oscar nom. It's been on a lot of insider prediction lists and this GG nom only helps his chances.

As for Hard Candy (which I loved), it's too unnerving of a film for the Golden Globe or Oscar types to give it any cred.

And this year hasn't been terrible at the movies (look at '03 for a more recent example of a blah year excluding Mystic River, LOTR and Lost in Translation), and the end-of-year selection looks mighty promising. (With Letters, Pan's, Dreamgirls, Venus, Painted Veil and Curse of the Golden Flower)

Dec 15 - 01:16 AM

homeimp

Rob Wills

[b]Don't quite agree.[/b]
Sorry. The win for Crash over BM was one of the best choices Oscar has made recently.

Dec 17 - 12:00 PM

CannibalPenguins

Jaja Jaja

The Queen deserves best picture.

Dec 14 - 09:05 PM

Mike

First Last

Agreed! Well-said! After last year the Oscars became a major joke.

As for the Globe noms:

Dec 14 - 10:54 PM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

Dec 15 - 01:16 AM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

Dec 15 - 01:16 AM

danpanic19

Daniel Rockwell

The Globes and the Oscars are a totally different show! This year the Globes do seem a little weird! Tossing in nominations for less mainstream films like Babel, and then having nominations for people like Will Smith, who in my opinion is not a good actor!

Leo better win for one of his roles, because he is a great actor with a bad wrap!

THE ONLY THING I AM WANTING MORE THAN ANYTHING IS MARTIN SCORSESE BETTER TAKE BEST DIRECTOR AT THE GLOBES OR THE OSCARS! It is a long time overdue!

Dec 15 - 01:51 AM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Marty won the Golden Globe two years ago, so he's not so overdue here. And as directing goes, Eastwood scored much more of a feat with either of his films than Marty in terms of pure directing. I know everyone thinks Marty deserves more awards than he's taken over the years (and I agree), but honestly, look at the movies that they are actually nominated for this year. Marty could have directed a movie like "The Departed" (which I liked, don't get me wrong) in his sleep. Eastwood's sweeping epics show much more growth and emotional power as a filmmaker. The fact that neither was nominated for best drama (which will prove to be an embarasment for this academy as it has and will be nominated - and probably win - almost every other major picture award) alone should mean Eastwood wins this category by default.

Dec 15 - 07:29 AM

Kudos Mooney

Jeremy Mullins

you totally raped the "!" button.

Dec 20 - 04:20 PM

yony

yony dagan

BEST MOTION PICTURE ? DRAMA - as it seems like Babel is going to take the award but wont be surprise if The Queen will take it

ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE ? DRAMA- Helen Mirren

ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE ? DRAMA - probably Forest Whitaker

BEST MOTION PICTURE ? COMEDY OR MUSICAL- probably Dreamgirls but there is a chance for Borat

ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE ? COMEDY OR MUSICAL- Meryl Streep

ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE ? COMEDY OR MUSICAL- Sasha Baron Cohen

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM- Happy Feet

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM- Letters from Iwo Jima

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - Jennifer Hudson

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - Brad Pitt or Eddie Murphy I say Brad

BEST DIRECTOR- I want Clint to take this award ,but people says Scorcese

BEST SCREENPLAY- The Queen

Dec 15 - 07:26 AM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Dec 15 - 07:29 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

I can't see "Babel" winning any major awards at the Oscars this year. It seems too "foreign" and "heavy" for the dreary Academy members. I think Best Picture will be either "Dreamgirls" ("Chicago," anyone?) or "The Departed". Clint has a chance but maybe the Academy is tired of heaping awards on him. Scorsese IS certainly due to win an Oscar. I think this is his year--but then I said that last year. The GG are nothing more than a party. Has anyone ever seen members of the "foreign press"? Who are these people anyway? The only think that saves the GG is the separate categories for Comedy/Musical movies and performances.

Dec 15 - 07:30 AM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Agreed.

Dec 15 - 08:28 AM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

Also agreed.

Babel isn't going to win anything big. Maybe score, but that's it.

Dec 15 - 11:56 AM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Agreed.

Dec 15 - 08:28 AM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

[b]The Usual Suspects & Ostrich Syndrome [/b]
"And A Few Surprises Lead Golden Globes Nominations"

Ha -- that cracks me up. These awards shows are staid and predictable... Hollywood likes to self-promote itself as pushing the envelope, thinking outside the box, but they're so smack-dab in the middle of an enclosed, lead-coated three-foot thick steel cube that they don't even realize it.

Dec 15 - 08:35 AM

CMPunk>you

Chris Cook

"smack-dab in the middle of an enclosed, lead-coated three-foot thick steel cube"

Wow, how look did it take for you to come up with that gem? Sad.

Dec 15 - 11:34 AM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

Probably as long as it would take you to use a spell-checker.

Dec 15 - 01:09 PM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

Also agreed.

Babel isn't going to win anything big. Maybe score, but that's it.

Dec 15 - 11:56 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I'm happy about The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, Ferrell, and Depp. Flags of our Fathers wasn't really any better than Bobby, so I disagree with that. And Crash was a great film that deserved Oscar.

Dec 15 - 12:54 PM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Uhh... did you see either of them?! That statment, though you'd be entitled to your opinion, leads me to believe you haven't. Regardless, "Flags," and even more so "Letters" which is already winning many best picture awards have gotten far more raves than "Bobby," which overall has been pretty much panned (though I didn't hate it, it was interesting, but could have, should have, been better). I do agree about "Crash" though. All the "Brokeback" bitterness can end any time now people...

Dec 15 - 07:08 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Yea I saw them both, I wasn't saying that I loved Bobby, because I didn't. It's just like you said, it was interesting but should have been better and I also felt that way about Flags. I really am looking forward to seeing Letters from Iwo Jima, which hopefully I will like more than both of the above movies.

Dec 16 - 11:31 AM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Fair enough. I just think if you put them side by side, "Flags" is obviously the better movie. Regardless of our opinions, I just think "Bobby" is sort of a ridiculous choice since it really has no critical acclaim, especially when compaired to "Letters" which seems to be one of the front-runners for a best picture Oscar and it doesn't even get A GG nom (?!). And what does, presumably in its place? "Bobby," which is largely considered a disapointment. I guess I just don't get it. But nominate Clint himself for two directing awards, but not either of those films? Come On!

Dec 16 - 12:46 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Letter's is in a foreign language so acording to the Golden Globes it's not eligible for best picture, that's why it's up for best foreign film.

Dec 17 - 12:30 PM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Yeah, but that - and "Apocalypto" in that category too - is wrong. If the language the movie is in or some of its filming locations is what makes it a "foreign film" than almost all movies would technically be foreign films. Most all US movies are filmed in Canada or somewhere over seas. These two are still American films like any other, but just so happen to be subtitled. The foreign category is for movies made and released in other countries that Hollywood has nothing to do with.

Dec 17 - 01:10 PM

lavatory love machine

juan carlos petruchi

if an action movie or comedy would have so many imposible coincidences on the plot like crash, we would say that it has a very stupid and arbitrary story, but it seems that if a drama if filled with plot points as likely as one in ten million chance to happen, it's just fine we should name it best movie of the year

Dec 15 - 07:51 PM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Couldn't you say the same about the romantic aspects of "Brokeback Moutain." If it were about a straight couple you'd have "Sweet November," or any number of romantic films that end with tragedy that critic, and the public, generally ignore. I liked "BM," but for everyone to rip "Crash" for its contrivances and praise "BM," when if you think about the story, if it weren't about homosexuals we probably wouldn't notce anything so Earth-shatteringly different about it to say it warrants an Oscar.

Dec 16 - 09:38 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday