Babylon 5: The Lost Tales - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales Reviews

CloudStrife84
½ December 10, 2007
Babylon 5 has always been one of my favourite series in the sci-fi genre. It may not have had the same budget as other such shows, but what it did have was great dialogue and writing, with intricate plotlines and engaging political drama. In fact, it's no stretch to say that script-wise, it's one of the best shows ever to grace TV. It's just too bad that it was so overlooked, because B5 was unfortunately met with a lot of undeserved prejudice, even by myself, before I gave it the chance that would turn my opinion around completely.

Anyhow, with the release of this fresh new movie, I was happy to see that the legacy of B5 still lives on, however unsure I was as to what to expect from it. Without going into too much detail, I was both disappointed and pleased with this particular production. The writing remains as good as in the series, but the two stories presented here were of very different quality. The first was quite predictable and dismal, whereas the second was pretty much B5 at it's best. So in the end, it left me a little conflicted. It was still good overall though and as a fan of the show I was amazed by the transformation from its low-budget style to something that now looks more up to date, with high quality CGI and a much more improved production design. I truly hope they make more of the same, so that the franchise may live on for a long time to come.
½ December 19, 2011
I *love* the original B5 series and wanted to really defend this, but I can't! I *am* a religious man and "Over Here" is extremely hokey. "Over There" is a little better, but still too much of a moral play for me - reminded me too much of Number 1 of StarTrek TNG season 1. I do hope the future stories will be better. Well, at least Bruce and Tracy aged well (unlike Shatner and crew)...
January 8, 2009
This has two parts of the story. I liked the second part better than the first. It was nice to see Babylon 5, the station, in high definition. The station looked awesome. I wish they would hurry up and make the second installment.
September 24, 2007
After B5: The Legend Of The Rangers, I had a rare doubt concerning Straczynski's ability to further his masterful vision. Thank God, he obliterated that seed of doubt with the first installment of The Lost Tales. Your batting average is secure, J.M. This work is absolutely gorgeous, both in it's imagery and it's story, which does nothing but continue to add positively to the already expansive and well-established B5 universe. The actors may have lost some years but none of their fire. Likewise, the three newcomers are stellar in their roles. I was also very impressed by the depth and emotion of the religious aspects of the first half-story, considering J.M.'s well known atheism. I guess it doesn't take a fundamentalist to write a good religious story. If they are anywhere near as good as this one, then I am very anxious for the other installments to be released.
½ June 23, 2008
I finished the B5 series recently and am trying to watch all the movies. this came first before all the others - thanks BlockBuster Total Access for messing up the order. Strange to go from 10 year old CG in the series straight to this one - but I love the updated looks. Interesting stories, one about a demon possession in space. Cool concept, a little theologically off, but bonus points for ScFi tackling a Christian subject and actually making the Priest look like a good, decent person.
½ May 17, 2008
The Lochley story was a little boring, but I really enjoyed the Sheridan one. I'm also shocked that the budget wasn't a little better for this one. JMS better take WB up on the offer for a feature film soon.
October 3, 2007
[font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000]2007 US Director: J. M. Straczynski & Sara Barnes[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000]Score: 6[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=4] I will admit that it was fun to see some new stuff come out of the [i]Babylon[/i][i] 5[/i] universe! This direct to home release gives us a look at how things are going a decade after the end of the series. We get what amounts to two ?episodes? that pretty much play as one short film. Herein lies one of the things that brought its score down for me. Neither plot, with the exception of being in and around the station Babylon 5, have anything to do with each other. If this really were two separate episodes that wouldn?t be a big deal. This is released as, and plays as, one movie though. We get the B5 version of [i]The Exorcist[/i] followed by Sheridan and Galen the ?Technomage? playing a game of political cat and mouse around an assassination bid against the 3rd in line for the Centauri Throne.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=4] As I said, taken separately they are both interesting stories, but when played back to back and passed off as one movie, it just doesn?t flow well. As always the special effects are really well done. I liked the new ?Valen Class? ship, it was pretty cool looking. The music score was all right. The acting was not too bad either. The Galen character was sent in a bit of a dark direction compared to the one we got to know on the spin off show [i]Crusade[/i]. If you are a [i]Babylon[/i][i] 5[/i] fan you will love this one just for the fact that we got something new. General science fiction fans will find it mildly interesting at best, especially if you don?t know the background story of the series.[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[font='Times New Roman'][size=4][color=#000000]Notes: N/A Suggested Age: 8+[/color][/size][/font]
October 1, 2007
My only complaint really is that it wasn't long enough... and there was no Delenn or Londo or Garibaldi! The Sheridan/Centauri Prince storyline was really really well done, though, I loved it. You can always count on Sheridan to do the right thing, that's why we love him.
½ August 25, 2007
2 unrelated shorts from the B5 universe, one sucks, one doesn't. "Over Here" is about Lockley dealing with a man possessed by a demon who wants to be exorcised. I'm not a religious man, but I do like me a good movie about the subject now and then. This isn't one of them. It's cliched, badly shot and the acting is very sub-par. The resolution is very hokey and nearly made me turn off the DVD as I watched it. The second story, "Over There", is about President Sheridan being asked by Galen, a tecnomage, to assassinate a young Centauri prince who in 30 years will destroy the Earth. It's an interesting story where we get to see Sheridan actually thinking about turning back into the warrior he used to be... cold, distant and heartless, and then realizing that he's evolved since then and that's not who he is anymore. The cast is solid, as are the FX and storyline.

A mixed bag... even for a casual B5 fan like me.
July 31, 2015
Watched this tonight, and all the magic of the series returned. I understand why Michael wants to save this for a movie, but I so miss that magic. Two episodes were not enough.
December 10, 2012
What can I say, I just love these movies
½ December 19, 2011
May 25, 2011
This movie is basically just two episodes of TV series and the 1st episode is not that good. Luckily the latter episode is quite ok and helps to keep the whole package at adequate level.
½ September 13, 2010
I actually enjoyed the first story (the possession), but I don't believe that it has any place in the B5 universe. The second story is just a rehashed theme from the show, done up with considerably less plot, although I enjoyed Galen's and Sheridan's interactions. Overall, this just fails to add anything whatsoever to a series which was already neatly tied up some years ago.
½ January 18, 2010
Because film contains two short films, short review for both:

Over here (Lochley story) is complete waste of time and resource. It tells religious themed story of demon, and priest who is supposed to cast him out. And then there is Lochley, and it all takes place in Babylon 5. Nothing to do with overall storyline of B5. And take off Lochley, and B5, it would just another dull short film. 1 star.

Over there (Sheridan and Galen story) is completely another thing. Here we have actual story that connects to B5 canon, and most of all, feels like B5. It references to some other characters, and developes appearing characters. Story is simple but works, too bad budget is so thight that sets are minimalistic and it's mostly just talking. Short and little minimalistic little story. I wish this would have been whole movie, 1 and half hours long. 3½ stars.

Overall feels like couple of webisodes, or short films, that they are. Just skip first film, and watch second for fun, but if you wan't good B5 movie, watch older ones. Or watch series again.

So, stars? 1+3½=4½ and divide that with 2... 2.25. I'll give it 2½.
½ January 30, 2010
still love this stuff
½ December 26, 2009
Goof for hardcore B5 fans, not for anyone else.

The cast is watered down a lot, and the sets are near non-existent, but the essence of the stories are still true. Hopefully they make a few more of these, but all odds are on they won't.
December 8, 2009
A tribute to the fans and actors of one of the greatest TV Sci-Fi series ever made.
½ August 22, 2009
Flash forward about a decade from "In the Beginning". Time changes everything.....Babylon 5 was an epic masterpiece, but there is such a thing as beating a dead horse. By the time this was made two of your main actors in this series are gone, Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar) and Richard Biggs (Dr. Franklin). Towards the end of the Babylon 5 series a was made by the character Lorien, who said that there comes a time when the the older races must step aside and let the younger races take their place in the galaxy.....Babylon 5 needed to do this long ago.....its time had passed by the turn of century, shows like Battlestar can take their place. Please let one of greatest sci-fi shows of all time pass in peace.....
May 9, 2009
Weak stories, uninteresting characters and pretentious dialogue - definitely smacks of a money-making venture. One for the fanboys only i'm afraid!