64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales Reviews

CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

December 10, 2007
Babylon 5 has always been one of my favourite series in the sci-fi genre. It may not have had the same budget as other such shows, but what it did have was great dialogue and writing, with intricate plotlines and engaging political drama. In fact, it's no stretch to say that script-wise, it's one of the best shows ever to grace TV. It's just too bad that it was so overlooked, because B5 was unfortunately met with a lot of undeserved prejudice, even by myself, before I gave it the chance that would turn my opinion around completely.

Anyhow, with the release of this fresh new movie, I was happy to see that the legacy of B5 still lives on, however unsure I was as to what to expect from it. Without going into too much detail, I was both disappointed and pleased with this particular production. The writing remains as good as in the series, but the two stories presented here were of very different quality. The first was quite predictable and dismal, whereas the second was pretty much B5 at it's best. So in the end, it left me a little conflicted. It was still good overall though and as a fan of the show I was amazed by the transformation from its low-budget style to something that now looks more up to date, with high quality CGI and a much more improved production design. I truly hope they make more of the same, so that the franchise may live on for a long time to come.
ejhypno
January 8, 2009
This has two parts of the story. I liked the second part better than the first. It was nice to see Babylon 5, the station, in high definition. The station looked awesome. I wish they would hurry up and make the second installment.
September 24, 2007
After B5: The Legend Of The Rangers, I had a rare doubt concerning Straczynski's ability to further his masterful vision. Thank God, he obliterated that seed of doubt with the first installment of The Lost Tales. Your batting average is secure, J.M. This work is absolutely gorgeous, both in it's imagery and it's story, which does nothing but continue to add positively to the already expansive and well-established B5 universe. The actors may have lost some years but none of their fire. Likewise, the three newcomers are stellar in their roles. I was also very impressed by the depth and emotion of the religious aspects of the first half-story, considering J.M.'s well known atheism. I guess it doesn't take a fundamentalist to write a good religious story. If they are anywhere near as good as this one, then I am very anxious for the other installments to be released.
elfqueenmelian
October 1, 2007
My only complaint really is that it wasn't long enough... and there was no Delenn or Londo or Garibaldi! The Sheridan/Centauri Prince storyline was really really well done, though, I loved it. You can always count on Sheridan to do the right thing, that's why we love him.
shwanzi
August 25, 2007
2 unrelated shorts from the B5 universe, one sucks, one doesn't. "Over Here" is about Lockley dealing with a man possessed by a demon who wants to be exorcised. I'm not a religious man, but I do like me a good movie about the subject now and then. This isn't one of them. It's cliched, badly shot and the acting is very sub-par. The resolution is very hokey and nearly made me turn off the DVD as I watched it. The second story, "Over There", is about President Sheridan being asked by Galen, a tecnomage, to assassinate a young Centauri prince who in 30 years will destroy the Earth. It's an interesting story where we get to see Sheridan actually thinking about turning back into the warrior he used to be... cold, distant and heartless, and then realizing that he's evolved since then and that's not who he is anymore. The cast is solid, as are the FX and storyline.

A mixed bag... even for a casual B5 fan like me.
December 10, 2012
What can I say, I just love these movies
Todd S
October 3, 2007
[font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000]2007 US Director: J. M. Straczynski & Sara Barnes[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000]Score: 6[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=4] I will admit that it was fun to see some new stuff come out of the [i]Babylon[/i][i] 5[/i] universe! This direct to home release gives us a look at how things are going a decade after the end of the series. We get what amounts to two ?episodes? that pretty much play as one short film. Herein lies one of the things that brought its score down for me. Neither plot, with the exception of being in and around the station Babylon 5, have anything to do with each other. If this really were two separate episodes that wouldn?t be a big deal. This is released as, and plays as, one movie though. We get the B5 version of [i]The Exorcist[/i] followed by Sheridan and Galen the ?Technomage? playing a game of political cat and mouse around an assassination bid against the 3rd in line for the Centauri Throne.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=4] As I said, taken separately they are both interesting stories, but when played back to back and passed off as one movie, it just doesn?t flow well. As always the special effects are really well done. I liked the new ?Valen Class? ship, it was pretty cool looking. The music score was all right. The acting was not too bad either. The Galen character was sent in a bit of a dark direction compared to the one we got to know on the spin off show [i]Crusade[/i]. If you are a [i]Babylon[/i][i] 5[/i] fan you will love this one just for the fact that we got something new. General science fiction fans will find it mildly interesting at best, especially if you don?t know the background story of the series.[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[font='Times New Roman'][size=4][color=#000000]Notes: N/A Suggested Age: 8+[/color][/size][/font]