Babylon A.D. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babylon A.D. Reviews

November 7, 2015
This was a good movie if you followed the story line. I don't know why the critics were so hard on this movie when the general public appears to have enjoyed this movie. I think that the critics at Rotten Tomatoes movie review are wrong 75% of e time. I think you should wait to see what the over general populations reactions are before you so called movie critics spew of at the mouth about a movie.
September 1, 2015
I've watched it three times. That must mean that I liked it or there wasn't anything on that was more tempting. I haven't bought it yet.
September 10, 2012
Boasting a leading performance from Vin Diesel, Babylon A.D. had enough of a gimmick to capture my hope for a decent action guilty pleasure.

With the film depicting a hip-hop soundtrack against a grey and dilapidated landscape in the intro, Babylon A.D. starts out with an odd tone. It's like the film wants to be a legitimate dystopian science fiction piece and an MTV friendly movie at the same time, and this theme comes and goes throughout the course of the film. Yet ultimately, the concept that it adheres to most heavily is an alternative commercial route where the premise is constructed out of derivative plot elements from every other science fiction movie ever made. It feels like there should be a story at the base of Babylon A.D., but looking closely at it I just found that all the plot points were generic story elements borrowed from countless other films. Director Mathieu Kassovitz attempts to disguise all this under the production values of the film, but even though Babylon A.D. cost a whopping $70 million to make there are minimal stylistic assets to truly boast about. The only consistently impressive visual aspect of Babylon A.D. is the scenery because there is creative versatility in the story locations and they all work towards establishing a convincing post-apocalyptic universe. However, for a film that cost so much this is certainly not the best kind of overblown. Though there are strong production values in Babylon A.D. with beautiful scenery and strong production design, Babylon A.D. does not carry a story which knows what to do with them in the slightest. Babylon A.D. experiences meandering success on the basis of its sense of imagery, but this largely serves as an inconsistent distraction from a story which clearly takes itself more seriously than it takes plot points from other films.
The writing in Bablyon A.D. is truly powerless. Considering that the intro scene depicts Vin Diesel talking English while the rest of the characters around him speak French and this goes on with flawless understanding of each other, it is clear that the script is not a strong basis for what comes next in Babylon A.D.. That proved to be a correct presumption because the story in Babylon A.D. genuinely seems to be a series of familiar generic plot points loosely waved together into a singular script for the sake of pretending that it has a narrative to work with. The fact is that it doesn't, and Babylon A.D. exists as nothing more than a Vin Diesel star vehicle. But like chicken on a poultry farm, he is force fed some of the most generic dialogue available to man. The rest of the cast gets it, but to a lesser extent. Either way, there is nothing in the way of characters in Babylon A.D. since the script adheres to the generic nature of the story so heavily.
Yet surprisingly enough, I found myself impressed by some of the stylish elements of Babylon A.D.. The action in Babylon A.D. is surprisingly versatile. It combines touches of close combat fight scenes with high energy chase scenes and even a touch of Parkour at times with the presence of David Belle, among other things. The quantity is certainly underwhelming which is all the more disappointing considering the quality of the action, but whenever it is on screen the experience is certainly entertaining. In all honesty I did not expect the action to be of such good quality, but as there is a strong balance of practical stunts and CGI in the film which is all captured with strong cinematography and timely editing against the backdrop of powerful scenery, the action in Babylon A.D. is genuinely entertaining to watch. The sound editing is also strong and the musical score is thoroughly atmospheric. Though the film is overblown, the budget is well spent during the action scenes which means that viewers with narrative standards as low as the one delivered in Babylon A.D. should be able to find entertainment. This is where the sense of style in Babylon A.D. hits its high point, and this displays that Mathieu Kassovitz maintains an effective eye for imagery. It's just that he needs a mind for narrative coherence if he's gonna be helming a $70 million Vin Diesel vehicle.
And matching the shallow nature of the screenplay, Babylon A.D. fails to draw on much in the way of success from the cast.
Vin Diesel is a decent lead. I say that as a fan of his whose opinion is wilfully tainted by personal bias because it is obvious that he is no Orson Welles, but he is a good fit for the lead role in Babylon A.D.. Vin Diesel's monotonous line delivery reinforces the generic nature of the script all too clearly, but it is also part of his gimmick so he is able to justify it. And on top of that, it matches the shallow nature of his character as nothing more than a hard shell of a man. Vin Diesel's status as an action hero gives him a gimmick that justifies his casting in Babylon A.D., so he is welcome on board.
The rest of the cast in Babylon A.D. have little to do and make an impact of the same standard. The presence of legendary French actor Gerard Depardieu is also welcome, though condemning him to the role of a generic Russian mobster proves to be one that even he cannot save. Melanie Thierry is stuck with a character always lost in her own mind which seems to be a ploy to distract from her limitations as an actress, but it does not always work. The melodramatic repetition of Charlotte Rampling is also ineffective, though she certainly does make a decent effort.

So Babylon A.D. benefits from Vin Diesel's genial presence and some decent action scenes, but these diminutive elements play second fiddle to a thoroughly derivative story with a generic script that keeps the budget from being spent on anything of value.
July 16, 2013
Sigh...i really had wished i understood what was going on...but then again too...Vin Diesel..2/10
June 25, 2015
ok but sweet vibe like rambo-ish
September 14, 2008
2015-06-04 Vin being Vin, weak ripoff/mashup of Bible story and Terminator
May 17, 2015
I just finished watching this on Netflix. When it started I was like this is going to be one of Vin Diesel's early crappy movies. I was surprised that it was better than I expected. THe storyline was decent although in parts not executed properly. In a nutshell this movie is something like Matt Damon's Elysium movie.
Its not suitable for the kiddies.
The main subject discussed in this movie is Religion, God, Creation and spirituality.
However this movie will not give you the answers you're looking for its Hollywood fan fiction.
You won't gain anything by watching this if your a fan of Vin's by all means..
March 27, 2015
I rate this rotten though I seem to have still showed more compassion than others who rated this much lower! I really expected Vin to carry this one, but if he did at all, he dropped it early on. He seems old and tired which may be intentional, but really hurt the movie in doing so.
March 8, 2015
Decided to give Vin Diesel the time of day after enjoying Guardians of the Galaxy. I got what i'd been expecting all these years, a substandard, poorly scripted, gung ho movie directed at Limp Biskit loving 15 year old boys. It followed the "how to make an action movie" instructions, to the every word. The chase scenes, especially on foot, looked more like choreographed dancing. Corny, not for me. Just another disappointing, dark and damp, degenerate vision of the future
September 28, 2009
Strangely disappointing film, in as much there was some sort of plot for about 70 minutes but the last 20 or so just couldn't work out how, where and when it all happened. Just a real sorry mess.
½ February 28, 2015
Despite the bad reviews, and the hard to watch close up fighting scenes, Vin Diesel is always a pleasure to watch.
½ February 27, 2015
For every sci-fi film that's actually unique, there's about hundreds of other poorly made sci-fi films that claim the pretence of originality, but actually just parade around the same old clichés we've come to expect from dystopian sci-fi. This film, sadly, is no exception, and I say sadly because this film could have been more original. Aside from the general lack of originality, a big problem with the film was that it was paced too quickly. I've heard that the French version is longer, but it's not really my concern. The story was bad, but the characters were even worse. Poorly written, ill-conceived, and cliché-ridden are the only words I could possibly use to describe the film's painfully banal cast of characters. The film itself look terribly dull, almost as though only muted colours seems to exist in the world of this film. The action scenes may have had the most potential, but even they're botched to the point of mediocrity. To be fair, it's not the worst film out there. In fact, if a lot more effort were put into the making the film, it could have been better, but it appears that the film-makers were quite content with a mediocre film that's more boring than watching paint dry.
February 9, 2015
I thought this was much better than the ratings showed. Vin Diesel is his usual persona, but the background and visions of the near future are exceptional. See for yourself.
January 24, 2015
This is one of the worst movies ever. I'm sorry for anyone involved. I'm not sure who did it, but some how this movie really, really, really, sucks. It should serve as an example to film students to meet this minimum mark. Only then could it be a functioning film.
January 20, 2015
Una mezcla de varias pelìculas como Children of Men o Blade Runner ,se queda en el intento , pèsima.
½ January 5, 2015
This was definitely an action-movie, and I thought it was successful as such on several levels (including the acting). I would be interested in seeing a sequel (although that is obviously not going to happen!)...
October 4, 2008
A futuristic sci-fi movie with Vin Diesel in a role where he fits perfect. A bit like Riddick in a way. Story was a just okey i thought and could have been better especially the end. The action part are quite good with some nice chases. Overall a decent action flick with Vin again in good shape.
November 2, 2014
could have been a good movie but was influenced too heavily by American self stroking gimmie a break here New york the armpit of the world would look more like kitomat and vica versa ..people will leave the citys during anarchy
½ September 12, 2014
Great, tough action flick. Diesel in his prime role. Cool futuristic, dystopian story.
January 1, 2011
Stuff blows up. Vin Diesel plays his usual is-he-or-isn't-he hero while Michelle Yeoh takes an odd turn as a near mute third-string character. But really the only thing that matters in this movie: stuff blows up. 11/26/9