Back to the Future Ride Now a Thing of the Past

And now we've got that Huey Lewis song stuck in our heads...

If you've been waiting for just the right time to hop in Doc Brown's eight-passenger De Lorean and help him bring Biff Tannen to justice, it's no longer as simple as heading to Universal Studios Hollywood -- as of 9:00 yesterday morning, Back to the Future: The Ride took its last passengers on American soil.

It was a ride whose time, arguably, had come and gone -- though enormously popular at both Universal Studios theme parks during the '90s, it was running at half capacity for months before shutting down in Florida earlier this year. Though its closure in Hollywood came with a little more fanfare -- including a chance to win an '81 De Lorean and an appearance by Christopher Lloyd, who seems to be making a pretty good living out of showing up at conferences and in commercials as Doc Brown -- the parks needed to make room for Universal's latest adventure, The Simpsons: The Ride.

Fortunately for Back to the Future fanatics who absolutely must experience the ride again, it's still running in another location. Unfortunately for most of those fans, that location is in Japan.

The new Simpsons ride -- which will, like its predecessor, use screens to create a simulator effect -- is scheduled to open next spring.

Source: Yahoo! News

Comments

MovieSamurai

j _

I worked at the one in Hollywood and there were some good times. If only I could go back in time and ride it one more time.

BTTF Ride Operator for life!

Sep 4 - 03:55 AM

DaHypr1

Jim Huete

that ride was sooo sweet, even though it was pretty out-dated. This must be the one in california because they took out the one in orlando back in march

Sep 4 - 04:41 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

I guess to enjoy the ride from here on in we will literally have to go back in time.

Sep 4 - 05:34 AM

CoffeeHulk

Chad Bailey

Sweet, I live in Japan.

Sep 4 - 05:45 AM

Sora Freak

Allen K

I'm going to miss it =(

Sep 4 - 06:15 AM

motionpictures

Brian Johnson

I've never really cared for those project screen rides that ultimately don't go anywhere but rather simply tilt and shake the compartment while the movie does all the work. Like the Star Wars ride at MGM Studios ... So I guess I won't miss this one, or bother with the Simpsons one.

Sep 4 - 07:25 AM

witherwings

Jamie Lynn

That Star Wars ride makes me sick every time. And the BTTF ride... I was five, I think. So I don't remember it too well.

Sep 4 - 07:56 AM

Bear45

Eli Thomas

That ride SUCKED! Well, maybe not at first. But the more the years went by - the more rough and painful it got. You'd walk outta there all beat up, feeling like you just got robbed for all your possessions. That whole dinosaur scene scared me as a kid though.

But yeah, it was definately time for it to go.

Sep 4 - 08:58 AM

The Tony Show

Tony Pagano

I agree about getting beat up. I loved that ride as a youngster, but riding it again a few years ago was painful, like getting slapped around for 10 minutes.

Either the ride got rougher or I got older.

Sep 4 - 10:21 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

I never got to go on that ride, yet I live down the street from Universal Studios. I've only really been to City Walk for some reason and not on the rides.

Coincidentally, I saw a Delorean this weekend. And my friend's girlfriend's dad owns one. Awesome.

Sep 4 - 09:28 AM

The Tony Show

Tony Pagano

Either the ride got rougher or I got older.

Sep 4 - 10:21 AM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

Time to make BTTF IV and bring in that nifty time machine train from the end of Part III.

BttF is the best trilogy ever in terms of its ability to deliver three films that are each worthy installments on their own while contributing to a larger story. If I'm not mistaken, it's also the very first trilogy to start out as one film with two sequels filmed back-to-back. Unlike Matrix Trilogy or Pirates Trilogy, however, BTTF delivers consistent goods. All three are great and highly underrated as the American classics they should be considered.

I didn't get to ride the ride, but I'll miss the opportunity. (Unless I go to Japan someday. That won't happen soon.)

Sep 4 - 10:41 AM

Demonknight

Juan Carlos Cavazos

It definitely would be sweet to see another BTTF... but without Michael J. Fox, it wouldn't be the same...

Sep 4 - 11:43 AM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

so, how about we give einstien, doc's dog, a solo flick where he goes

bak to the early 90's and saves, one of my favorite actors, christopher lloyd's career

before it crashed. poor chris now his highlights are only doing stupid commercials but

hey at least he's out of t.v. hell- the sitcom, stacked, starring pam anderson was

mercifully cancelled. love ya pam but please keep your deadly acting skills away from

real legends like christopher "taxi's rev. jim" lloyd!

Sep 4 - 12:09 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

DarthWonka, have you ever heard of lord of the rings trilogy? hey, i

loved back to the future and its sequels were good but c'mon, how many movie franchises

have a better three consecutive feature films to itself. lets see- Indiana jones

franchise, the first star wars trilogy, lord of the rings trilogy, the bourne movies

the first three harry potter films and hell in my personal opinion the first three

rocky movies were all better three movies than back to the future trilogy. sorry,

didn't mean to start this sort of thread but darthwonka has placed the back to the

future franchise a little too high on the movie mantle.

Sep 4 - 12:21 PM

GoldbergsVariations

Z Gold

"BttF is the best trilogy ever..."

Uhhm, don't take this as a flame, but its simply not.

Sep 4 - 12:48 PM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

I said it's the best trilogy ever in terms of consistency. All three films contribute equally to the trilogy in a way that it's hard to compare each of the individual installments because they each give something unique to the whole. I love all the trilogies/series that Couch Tomato mentioned, but they all have their weak installments (either the second or third movie.) BTTF doesn't have this problem. I'd rank SW and LotR higher in terms of overall entertainment value, but Jedi and Towers were weak links. I love all six "Rocky"s, (the first and sixth being the best of them), but, as we know, they got repetitive.

Sep 4 - 01:37 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

well, said, darth! even though i disagree, your fine love of all great

movie franchises makes me respect and like your persona; decision after all on B.T.T.F.

man, does it say how lazy i am that have to initialize movies, huh? star wars wins

because its the easiest to type, there thats a good comment, right;)

Sep 4 - 01:51 PM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

The story in the ride was fun, but the ride near the end in Florida (I went last year), ran kind of rough, smacking you back and forth in the car. It was also rather cramped, not being very comfortable. Sounds like its about time for the retirement of it. (Though I really liked the BTTF films).

Sep 4 - 11:31 AM

Demonknight

Juan Carlos Cavazos

Sep 4 - 11:43 AM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

so, how about we give einstien, doc's dog, a solo flick where he goes

real legends like christopher "taxi's rev. jim" lloyd!

Sep 4 - 12:09 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

so, how about we give einstien, doc's dog, a solo flick where he goes

real legends like christopher "taxi's rev. jim" lloyd!

Sep 4 - 12:09 PM

kiddo

Paulo Arago

Thank GOD. Every time there's a tourist in our house, I have to go to Universal Studios with them and I have to ride this every time. It makes me dizzy every time.

Sep 4 - 12:15 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Kiddo, what exactly is it your avatar is doing there? Looks a little...suspicious :-)

Sep 4 - 03:00 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

DarthWonka, have you ever heard of lord of the rings trilogy? hey, i

future franchise a little too high on the movie mantle.

Sep 4 - 12:21 PM

bobdebicker

Ben DeVictor

that was a sweet ride, but then i rode the spider-man 3-d ride and i was like "that was way awesomer." yes...awesomer.

Sep 4 - 12:21 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

and i know all the rocky haters are a comin but remember on this very site

rocky 2 and back to the futur 2 got 68% freshness approval ratings and the third

installments had back to the future narrowily beating rocky 3 72% to 67%. loved

both franchises just my opinion but just giving some facts if someone brings on the

rocky hatred, still overall i will miss the ride and wonder what the hell the

simpsons ride will be. are the riders going to jump over springfield gorge or

something?

Sep 4 - 12:27 PM

GoldbergsVariations

Z Gold

"BttF is the best trilogy ever..."

Uhhm, don't take this as a flame, but its simply not.

Sep 4 - 12:48 PM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

Sep 4 - 01:37 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

well, said, darth! even though i disagree, your fine love of all great

because its the easiest to type, there thats a good comment, right;)

Sep 4 - 01:51 PM

Warheart1188

Tim Higginbotham

It's very sad. I grew up watching the trilogy and going to the Universal park here in Orlando, FL to go on the ride every other summer and now it's definitely over here in America. It will always be my favorite theme park attraction. :(

Sep 4 - 01:30 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel