Back to the Future Part III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Back to the Future Part III Reviews

July 24, 2013
The third installment of Robert Zemeckis' fun-filled time-travel franchise tones down on its futuristic charm, and though different in many different ways, still is able to provide a fun ride for its audience. Back to the Future Part III presents Fox and Lloyd once again in their strongest form, possibly, in the entire series. 4/5
The Gandiman
November 30, 2012
Entertaining and well put together but nothing special. Unlike the original entry, "Part III" doesn't warrant a repeat viewing. You watch it once, you're amused and there's no need to watch it again - or remember anything about it.

It's not a bad film, it's one of the better "Part III" in the grand scheme of things. It's an extraordinary showcase for Christopher Lloyd - and the Western plot works better than "Part II"'s future plot. It could have used a bit more originality. Instead it just takes the earlier films construct and adds Western clichà (C)s to it.

This final installment of the "Back to the Future" trilogy is a good wrap up it just not one that warrants a second watch.
December 12, 2011
The final installment of the BTTF trilogy is ultimately a disappointment, but an extremely enjoyable one.
½ February 7, 2012
This last film in the Back to the Future trilogy is the most unrealistic of the three, but the story is much better than Part 2. The whole point here is to have fun, not to be scientifically accurate or believable, so enjoy the crazy ride for what it is.
movieguru12
February 19, 2008
In this final installment Marty must make sure that Doc does not get shot in the old wild west in the year 1885 & to make sure that Marty doesn't die as well. They succeed & Doc gets married to Clara Clayton & they have two kids named Jules & Verne after the famous writer of 2,000 Leagues Under The Sea. Doc comes back to 1985 as well as Marty & Marty goes back & wakes up Jennifer. This was another good Back To The Future Film :) :) :) :) :)
DreamExtractor
March 16, 2011
Better than second but still doesn't live up to the first. Cool, interesting, and a cool sendoff to the trilogy, and a great production for the movie, Wild West setting was cool, even though I probably would have picked like a cooler era in time.
July 31, 2011
Not what I expected from this one, but still liked it. Great series! I would recommend all three if you haven't seen them already.
TheDudeLebowski65
May 23, 2011
Third entry in the Back To The Future trilogy is a Western of time traveling proportions. Though the weakest one of the three, Back To The Future III is still a fun, adventurous ride with Marty McFly and Doc Brown. This third film is filled with an intriguing idea.that has Marty and Doc Brown traveling to the Old West in 1885. After the events of part II, Marty McFly travels to a pioneering Hill Valley. For a third film, Back To The Future Part III is a good entry, There are things that could have been done better, but director Robert Zemeckis ends his time traveling saga on a high note. One thing that works well for the film is the change of pace and different atmosphere to the first two. The fact that the film is taking place during 1885 makes it very appealing. You have brand new characters played by the same actors and it adds a lot more flavor to it's story. The film has a good blend of comedy and action, everything you'd expect from a Back To The Future film is here, but it's slightly toned down. The film is still a lot of fun and highly amusing, some people may not enjoy this third entry as much as I did, and it's understandable. Like I've said many times while reviewing trilogies, by the third entry a film franchise can loose its fire. But thats definitely not the case with Back To The Future Part III. Robert Zemeckis has made a fine film thats very funny, action packed with all the usually wacky characters And more. A wonderful finish to one of the best trilogies in cinematic history.
Movie Monster
½ March 28, 2011
I don't have a favorite "Back to the Future" film. I find it hard to put them in order from best to worst because they're all just funny, well crafted, exciting films that have an extremely high entertainment value. All great things must come to an end, even "Back to the Future". Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale end their world-famous franchise in a fine and pleasing manner.

Part 3 puts Doc Brown and Marty McFly back in action as they head to the Old West in the year 1885, one hundred years before the events in the first film. They are there to get rid of the beloved DeLorean. Have you seen how much trouble the time-traveling automobile has put them in? They must also battle Biff's outlaw ancestor, Buford Tannen, and rewrite history along the way. Marty also meets his ancestors.

"BTTFP3" has a completly different feel to it due to the change of the setting. The scripting and story used in this entry make it feel like a loose Old West remake of the first film. The running gags (i.e. "What are you? Chicken?" gag) are changed to go with the setting. Many think that this is the worst in the series but whoever says that can go jump off a cliff. Part 3 is a great film with lots of memorable material.

I actually choose the two sequels over the first film. This is one of the better films in the series yet I still can't say which is the best. I also find the comedy element of the films distracting. Why's that? The plot and structure of the events conveyed in the trilogy can be confusing to me. While I try to figure that out, I get lost in the humor. But the movie is undeniably funny. The ending is very perfect but a bit anticlimatic.

"Back to the Future 3" is just an amazing conclusion to a great series that has an awesome moral: the fate of the future is in our hands. My rating may be too high but thats my opinion, suckas!

"I do my killing before breakfast."
December 7, 2007
Did not love this. First one was a classic, second one acceptable, third one don't bother.
I should add that I really hate westerns in general, so that doesn't help my overall impression, but even in spite of that felt that this one is a fail. I really hated the Irish McFly family for a start, so stereotypical and cringeable. And I found the schoolteacher uncharismatic (I can't even remember her name, that's how good it was!).
On the plus, most of the original cast returned, although Elisabeth Shue and Lea Thompson are sadly wasted here.
If you like westerns, perhaps you might be more kindly inclined to this, but I personally was not impressed, and the only reason I have rated it this so highly is riding on the good work done on the previous two and the likability of (most) of the cast.
½ November 27, 2010
I really liked the narrative of this one, seeing them in the old western times however it was quite predictable and cheesy with the bit at the end. But this is American.
theunknownhobo
½ November 16, 2010
Just as good as the two that came before it.
CloudStrife84
½ April 12, 2007
My least favourite in the trilogy, but good fun nonetheless and highly entertaining. A nice conclusion to one of the best film series ever made.
September 25, 2010
Could not have been concluded any better than this. I have been a huge fan of the Back To The Future series, and I actually think that this film matches up to the skills of the second. Back To The Future part III takes a weird turn to the western times, and when trouble comes on the horizon one last time, Marty McFly and the Doc are back on the job! They need to travel back in time to save the Doc from his sudden death, and return back to the future before the train drives by. It's another brilliant movie. The perfect way to end with the right emotion and fun entertainment! One of the greatest trilogies of all time!
½ July 21, 2010
the first two movies were really great. this movie isnt nearly as good as the first two. its not a bad movie but its not great. C+
June 19, 2010
In the past five years or so, Part III has been my favorite because it has the most heart. Doc falls in love, and his and Marty's roles reverse. Mary Steenburgen is the lovely and geeky counterpart to Doc Brown, a man who probably can't find a soul mate in the modern era. Now after seeing all three again, I think they're all on an equal plane.
3niR
½ June 12, 2010
This was really entertaining!
½ June 13, 2006
After the somewhat messy second film ending in a cliffhanger, the final film of the trilogy gets back on track rather quickly by sticking to the 1885 Western setting for the most part. The references to the original film are still there and it's fun to follow the characters you've started to love for another adventure. The film is a little slow somewhere in the middle, but the exciting and spectacular finale more than makes up for it and closes the trilogy very satisfyingly. It's still nowhere near the original's league, though.
FilmFanatik
½ January 12, 2007
3rd in the succession, and the least of the sequels. This one just moves really slow and doesn't seem to be as interesting or exciting as the sequel before it. It definitely has soom good stuff in it and is worthy to be in the series, but it's not my favorite.
November 23, 2009
Nowhere near the caliber of parts I & II, but still a fun movie with redeeming qualities. This installment did get a lot more banter between Marty and Doc Brown and some classic moments with Mad Dog Butannen. However, the western plot line was a giant letdown and didn't fit at all.