Bad 25 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad 25 Reviews

Critique Threatt
December 20, 2012
When I watched Spike Lee's documentary "BAD25", I saw a humble, serious, determined artist at work. Lee uses the talking heads approach and well as much as I admired Jackson as a music artist, I didn't find anything special with what Lee was trying to present with this documentary other then to showcase archival footage fans hadn't seen before. For those hoping the picture will talk of Jackson's personal flaws, won't find it in this documentary. Bad25 is about an artist totally in control of his craft.

One of the archival footage I did admired was watching Martin Scorsese directing Jackson, Wesley Snipes and dance choreographer Jeffrey Daniel for the music Bad. At times I was hoping Lee would show more and more footage of them but the clips is pretty standard and it's no different from viewing a behind the scenes footage one would find on DVD. Before going on set, Wesley Snipes mentions a few words about the character he portrays. Jackson and Daniels practising the dance moves for BAD late into the night and the well known breakdown of Jackson and his dancers addressing Snipes and his posse like preachers setting the wicked straight.

I also admired of Lee showing Jackson's inspirations. From Fred Astaire, Grace Kelly, Bob Fosse, the old gangster pictures of the times, and the Vincent Mineilli film "The Band Wagon". I also admired watching the working relationship between Jackson and Siedah Garrett. Futhermore Tatiana Thumbtzen remembers working with Jackson's in the music vid "The Way You Make Me Feel".
BAD25 also provides inteviews from Chris Brown, Mariah Carey (who was impressed with Jackson's acting skills in BAD), Sheryl Crow, Cee Lo Green, Andre Harell, Thelma Schoonmaker, Richard Price, L.A. Reid, Kanye West, Stevie Wonder, and Justin Bieber. Bad25 is good although the album is probably better.I felt "Michael Jackson's This Is It" set the mark. Shamone.
August 29, 2013
the best film about Michael Jackson art, a must see
½ August 26, 2013
Great documentary ... but I really didn't need interviews from Justin Bieber & Chris Brown. Wtf?
July 15, 2013
Bad25 is going to appeal to the Michael Jackson fan. It casts some much needed light on the creative process the led to the finished "Bad" album. This documentary will not appeal to those who want to learn more about Michael's private life,... especially his eccentricities. It was interesting that the buying of the Beatles catalogue may have led to some of the junk journalism. Some junk journalism was released by people in Michael's group. If this is indeed the case, it backfired badly for Jackson. The documentary is a standard example of a factual documentary, with alot of talking heads. I feel that Justin Bieber, Mariah Carey, Kanye West, Chris Brown and Cee LoGreen and maybe one or two others were unnecessary add-ins. They added little to the story, though with Mariah, it was funny to hear she had two dresses reminiscent of a Thumbtzen dress in the late 1980's. Little things like that are nice to hear, in my opinion. I have grown impatient with the amount of focus on Michael's private life. I'm a scientist, and if I have learned anything, it is this. Outside of science all you have is a court of law, which examines the available evidence. The general public have no right, in my opinion, to judge a person upon junk journalism. I remember in the documentary "The Michael Jackson Story", Seb Fontaine (narrator) pointed out at the beginning of the documentary that "it is easy to forget what all the fuss was about in the first place; it was of course his music". It is really sad that some people have actually "forgotten" why Jackson became famous in the first place. This documentary reminds us of a man driven by passion for music, driven by a passion to surpass himself musically, driven by a passion to entertain. He was a workaholic and he deserves credit for his hard work. It was not easy and few people remember this when they critically examine his music. There was one part of the documentary which fell down considerably. That was the discussion of the song "Just Good Friends". It was considered a "coffee break" between "Liberian Girl" and "The Way You Make Me Feel". I don't understand why. I like it. This documentary will bring people back to the man and his music. Buy the DVD, Watch it and leave your junk journalism down forever.
Critique Threatt
December 20, 2012

½ December 2, 2012
The intriguing footage just about overrides the slow pacing and off-topic discussion.
November 14, 2012
It isn't as insightful and emotional as 'This is It', but 'Bad 25' is an enjoyable and just plain wonderful look into the record breaking 'Bad' album. This movie is Bad, but in the Michael Jackson way.
December 2, 2012
A wonderful look into the making of Michael Jackson's Bad album, celebrating 25 years of "Who's bad?". Spike Lee creates a portrait of a kind, misunderstood man who was a top artist, fully at the top. It features interviews with people who collaborated with him on the album and created the short videos he became obsessed with. A truly astounding look into the one and only King of Pop.
½ November 26, 2012
Leave it to Spike Lee to keep it simple, meaningful, interesting and to the point. It doesn't ask for tears, it doesn't try to capitalize on a tragic ending, it doesn't ask for any reaction actually. It's a breve "come along for a ride" experience that takes you back to a point in time where there was a man working on an album, did his videos and thats it, however to future generations, this man will be more of a myth, a distant legend, nothing you can tell your kids about him will sound believable.
November 6, 2012
GREAT doc so entertaining.
½ September 19, 2012
It doesn't inspire awe and wonder like "This Is It", but works on a more conventional level with a lot of talking heads here. Good for fans, but that's about it.