Bad Ass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Ass Reviews

MANUGINO
½ May 16, 2012
They messed with the wrong senior citizen.

Not a great or bad movie. It's a movie that could had evolved on something much more thrilling but if you just want to relax with nothing too complex to mess around with your head it's a nice movie. At times there were funny moments but not cliché moments of catch phrases that you would see in action romp movies. The script is fairly basic but if you expect it be really sophisticated then you chose the wrong genre. I would consider it better than Machete and recommend if you just want to watch it as a popcorn action flick and have a few laughs.

Decorated Vietnam hero Frank Vega returns home only to get shunned by society leaving him without a job or his high school sweetheart. It's not until forty years later when an incident on a commuter bus (where he protects an elderly black man from a pair of skin heads) makes him a local hero where he's suddenly celebrated once again. But his good fortune suddenly turns for the worse when his best friend Klondike is murdered and the police aren't doing anything about it.
PantaOz
½ August 23, 2012
This action movie is a homage to 1970's Vigilante films such as Dirty Harry & Death Wish... and the director Craig Moss did probably as much as he knows with the really poor screenplay by Elliot Tishman. Starring Danny Trejo - who was very suitable for the role - with Charles S. Dutton and Ron Perlman - who could be replaced by anyone, this was just watchable.

The story of a decorated Vietnam vet Frank Vega (Danny Trejo) was done poorly even for an action movie standards! They could do so much better if they finished and polished a little bit work they've started. A war veteran returns home only to be shunned by society, leaving him without a job or his high school sweetheart... ok... sounds familiar... or after forty years an incident on a commuter bus, where he protects an elderly black man from a pair of skinheads, makes him a local hero... heard of that?... his best friend Klondike is murdered and the police aren't doing anything about it... enough! If you like what you've just read - check it out! But do not expect shinning in any department...
March 24, 2012
At times it's hard to tell if the director is making another one of his fifty character epic films. While some stuff was intentionally bad, I don't believe he was shooting for something this illogical and cheesy. I had a handful of laughs, but this was mainly just a cheesy disaster. I even was excited for this film, my want to see, reads:

"Looks like an even better version of Machete I'm excited for this one".

Psh, not even close. At least Trejo is in the crap film.
½ August 20, 2012
Danny Trejo! I really can't say enough about this man. He has had a huge rise in popularity over the past decade. Mostly due to his likability and overall awesomeness.
Bad Ass is not he best movie. But, it is really fun to watch. Somewhat violent and never dull. Trejo just keeps churning out these cool performances and while this may not rank up there, with his other films. Bad Ass is still worth your time.
January 13, 2014
Let's include everything from a youtube video and use it as a theme for a film...

Wait... it has to have terrible dialogue and a battle with buses.

Of course... sounds like a brilliant idea.
August 29, 2012
This movie is exactly what you'd expect. It's not to be taken seriously. It's quite similar to Machetà (C). Just be willing to sit back and let reality fly out the window for an hour and a half.
½ September 29, 2012
They based a whole movie around a short video of a real-life incident.. Some thug on a bus threatens an old man. The old man ends up giving the punk a beat down. The rest of the movie is a made up account of the old man's life as he goes about town, kicking ass vigilante style. I loved it.
August 17, 2012
I don't want to compare this with Machete, but some of the same sort of cheesiness was present at times. I did find this to be more enjoyable overall if we are doing a comparison(I mean Danny Trejo is the lead so it's hard not to do so). On a side note I loved the 'I am a motherfucker' shirt he had on at the beginning, hah!
August 10, 2012
This movie was a lot of fun. Like Gran Torino with the seriousness toned down a bit... and more fake blood.
July 17, 2012
I love Danny Trejo, and I love movies where corrupt pieces of garbage get the shit kicked out of them, but I don't love movies with odd pauses and shitty dialogue. I don't know why, but there were spots in this film where you'd think Danny was making his first appearance in a high school play. He's better than that, so I'll chalk it up to bad editing or poor directing from a guy who'd previously never directed anything but a few parodies. With more effort, this could have been much better, but as is, it's still fun and entertaining, and the bad guys still get beat up by an old bad ass.
½ July 15, 2012
Way unbelievable, caricature people, terrible dialogue. It'd be a great YouTube video, and Danny Trejo is likeable enough... but eye-rollingly stupid.
½ July 4, 2012
Whether intentionally or not this movie is VERY funny. There are scenes that remind me of all the old 70's vigalante movies. A bar scene in Walking Tall, only here someone else is carrying the big stick. All through the movie he goes around getting taunted by varied antagonist like the Death Wish movies (which there is a refernce to) only instead of shooting them he kick there ass Billy Jack style. There is at the end is a bus chase that is hilarious...
May 4, 2012
Danny Trejo plays Epic Beard Man!!!! Not to be missed for all fans of action comedies. Bonus - Ron Perlman and Roc Dutton. Blows away Machete and Gran Torino. You won't be disappointed.
½ December 30, 2015
Love the spaghetti gangster stuff, Danny is a 71 year old Jason Statham. Imagine 25 years later ... when you are on social security and bored and a Nam vet ... why not. Every bit as good as a senior citizen James Bond.
December 17, 2015
It starts pretty much the way you'd expect it to and is mostly enjoyable, throwaway entertainment. But the climax with the bus chase scene? What the hell? It was like somebody accidentally spliced the climax of the Arnie/Bellushi movie Red Heat into Bad Ass. Seriously, I've never seen that happen in a film before and can't imagine what the director was thinking in doing so.
½ December 4, 2015
worst fight choreography, dialogue and acting i have seen in the last few years. this movie is the equivalent of a hairy, unwashed ballsack,
May 9, 2015
Crap writing, crap acting, crap directing and WAY TOO MUCH political correctness!
March 27, 2015
Very enjoyable and I liked the mostly realistic action. Contains a solid story that never swerves and Danny Trejo was a good cast choice. I believe it would've made good money if it was put in theaters.
May 24, 2014
Funny in a cheesy B-movie kind of way - but watchable for sure.....