Bad Ass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Ass Reviews

MANUGINO
½ May 16, 2012
They messed with the wrong senior citizen.

Not a great or bad movie. It's a movie that could had evolved on something much more thrilling but if you just want to relax with nothing too complex to mess around with your head it's a nice movie. At times there were funny moments but not cliché moments of catch phrases that you would see in action romp movies. The script is fairly basic but if you expect it be really sophisticated then you chose the wrong genre. I would consider it better than Machete and recommend if you just want to watch it as a popcorn action flick and have a few laughs.

Decorated Vietnam hero Frank Vega returns home only to get shunned by society leaving him without a job or his high school sweetheart. It's not until forty years later when an incident on a commuter bus (where he protects an elderly black man from a pair of skin heads) makes him a local hero where he's suddenly celebrated once again. But his good fortune suddenly turns for the worse when his best friend Klondike is murdered and the police aren't doing anything about it.
PantaOz
½ August 23, 2012
This action movie is a homage to 1970's Vigilante films such as Dirty Harry & Death Wish... and the director Craig Moss did probably as much as he knows with the really poor screenplay by Elliot Tishman. Starring Danny Trejo - who was very suitable for the role - with Charles S. Dutton and Ron Perlman - who could be replaced by anyone, this was just watchable.

The story of a decorated Vietnam vet Frank Vega (Danny Trejo) was done poorly even for an action movie standards! They could do so much better if they finished and polished a little bit work they've started. A war veteran returns home only to be shunned by society, leaving him without a job or his high school sweetheart... ok... sounds familiar... or after forty years an incident on a commuter bus, where he protects an elderly black man from a pair of skinheads, makes him a local hero... heard of that?... his best friend Klondike is murdered and the police aren't doing anything about it... enough! If you like what you've just read - check it out! But do not expect shinning in any department...
March 24, 2012
At times it's hard to tell if the director is making another one of his fifty character epic films. While some stuff was intentionally bad, I don't believe he was shooting for something this illogical and cheesy. I had a handful of laughs, but this was mainly just a cheesy disaster. I even was excited for this film, my want to see, reads:

"Looks like an even better version of Machete I'm excited for this one".

Psh, not even close. At least Trejo is in the crap film.
½ August 20, 2012
Danny Trejo! I really can't say enough about this man. He has had a huge rise in popularity over the past decade. Mostly due to his likability and overall awesomeness.
Bad Ass is not he best movie. But, it is really fun to watch. Somewhat violent and never dull. Trejo just keeps churning out these cool performances and while this may not rank up there, with his other films. Bad Ass is still worth your time.
March 27, 2015
Very enjoyable and I liked the mostly realistic action. Contains a solid story that never swerves and Danny Trejo was a good cast choice. I believe it would've made good money if it was put in theaters.
May 2, 2014
One line summary: Corruption, beatings, and felonious assaults abound.

----------------------

In the first arc, Frank Vega narrates his life. His early days on a farm, the time in Vietnam, returning to find his sweet heart married to someone else, no one willing to give him a job, starting a hot dog stand, but not branching away from that.

Then we hit the defining event. Two neo-Nazi fools roust an older black man on a bus. Frank decides to stop them instead of letting the other old man get hurt. He becomes a local hero of sorts. Three months later, his mother passes. His friend from Vietnam, Klondike, moves in with him.

Mayor Williams announces a program to clean up Los Angeles, or at least parts of it.

Klondike goes to buy some Camel cigarettes. Sebastian and Terrence, two young low-lifes, are waiting for him. He beats the hell out of them, but they shoot him in return.

Frank interrupts a convenience store hold up. He sees fairly quick action on a case where an Anglo is killed in a robbery. He gets angry about the lack of progress on Klondike's case. He starts investigating on his own. His methods are more than a bit brutal.

The mayor and Panther have an agreement, and Frank gets on their radar. From his investigations, Panther is on Frank's radar. Amber and Frank get a bit friendly.

Frank gives Officer Malark (who did many a ride-along with Frank) a copy of the thumb drive that Klondike gave him for safe keeping. Will Frank's trust prove well placed?

Will Frank catch to Klondike's killer? Perhaps more to the point, will he deal with Panther?

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 8/10 Reasonably good.

Sound: 6/10 Between OK and uninspired.

Acting: 7/10 Dutton, Perlman, Page, and Trejo were fine. Patrick Fabian and Joyful Drake were OK, and I liked John Duffy. The minor players were interchangeably useless.

Screenplay: 5/10 This could have been better. I liked the actors by and large, but their lines were not all that good. I found it impossible to believe that a single thumb drive was of any importance. One of the late chase sequences made no sense at all. If Danny Trejo is to have a love interest, perhaps a lady over 50 would be more likely.
January 13, 2014
Let's include everything from a youtube video and use it as a theme for a film...

Wait... it has to have terrible dialogue and a battle with buses.

Of course... sounds like a brilliant idea.
August 29, 2012
This movie is exactly what you'd expect. It's not to be taken seriously. It's quite similar to Machetà (C). Just be willing to sit back and let reality fly out the window for an hour and a half.
½ June 9, 2013
½ February 10, 2013
Life has a way of kicking you in the ass.

Frank Vega is a Vietnam vet who is sick of violence in his neighborhood. One day he takes matters in his own hands on a bus and ends up on youtube. He becomes a local legend and receives notoriety and fame beyond his wildest dreams. When one of his friends is killed in gang violence, matters will need to be taken into his hands again.

"Why do all you Mexican's drink that shit?"
"What should I be drinking, malt liquor?"

Craig Moss, director of Breaking Wind, delivers Bad Ass. The storyline for this picture is very mediocre and takes the urban legend in an interesting direction. The action scenes were just okay and probably could have been better. The acting was mediocre and the cast includes Danny Trejo, Charles Dutton, Ron Pearlman, and Joyful Drake.

"I just came from the liquor store. Looks like you wiped your ass with those guys."

I watched a preview for this on joblo some time ago and was excited to see it. I do enjoy watching Danny Trejo for the most part and found the first few action sequences in this picture entertaining; however, the story got stale, extremely unrealistic, and a bit painful at times. Overall, this is an average action picture that is worth viewing only if you are an action genre junky.

"This might sting a little."

Grade: C
½ January 15, 2013
½ November 13, 2012
76%

They used the bus scenes from RED HEAT! Anyways, it's good to see Trejo get another movie to himself. Nice fanny pack.
October 12, 2012
I really enjoyed this movie. Anyone who is a fan on Danny Trejo has to see this movie. The effects were pretty cool and I could follow the story line, which I also found a bit intriguing. I could watch this movie over and over again. It's on Netflix right now, so go, watch it, enjoy it, and don't forget to rate it. :)
½ September 29, 2012
They based a whole movie around a short video of a real-life incident.. Some thug on a bus threatens an old man. The old man ends up giving the punk a beat down. The rest of the movie is a made up account of the old man's life as he goes about town, kicking ass vigilante style. I loved it.
August 25, 2012
A very bland and generic revenge action film with very poorly choreographed fight scenes and sloppy dialogue. On a side note, Danny Trejo looks like Osama bin Laden in this film.
August 17, 2012
I don't want to compare this with Machete, but some of the same sort of cheesiness was present at times. I did find this to be more enjoyable overall if we are doing a comparison(I mean Danny Trejo is the lead so it's hard not to do so). On a side note I loved the 'I am a motherfucker' shirt he had on at the beginning, hah!
½ December 30, 2015
Love the spaghetti gangster stuff, Danny is a 71 year old Jason Statham. Imagine 25 years later ... when you are on social security and bored and a Nam vet ... why not. Every bit as good as a senior citizen James Bond.
December 17, 2015
Wasn't expecting 5 star quality but was pleasantly surprised.
December 17, 2015
It starts pretty much the way you'd expect it to and is mostly enjoyable, throwaway entertainment. But the climax with the bus chase scene? What the hell? It was like somebody accidentally spliced the climax of the Arnie/Bellushi movie Red Heat into Bad Ass. Seriously, I've never seen that happen in a film before and can't imagine what the director was thinking in doing so.
½ December 4, 2015
worst fight choreography, dialogue and acting i have seen in the last few years. this movie is the equivalent of a hairy, unwashed ballsack,