• R, 1 hr. 32 min.

86% The Knick: Season 1

Bad Teacher Reviews

Conner R

June 24, 2011
Bad Teacher is almost exactly what it promised to be. While it's not the counterpart to Bad Santa or Bad Lieutenant, it definitely has that vibe at times. I was sort've surprised that it wasn't all that vulgar, but that became a strength at times. The ways they found to make Cameron Diaz's character mean and uncaring were creative to say the least. Kid friendly humor from Lucy Punch's Ms. Squirrel was so much more funny than it would've been with profanity. It delivers on having completely nutso characters doing terrible things and scarring children mentally. The main attraction here is obviously Cameron Diaz and her rockin body. She's incredibly talented when it comes to comedy and this has got to be one of my favorite performances from her period. She just seemed to know this character so well and knows exactly how to make situations funnier. What's really cool about Bad Teacher is that it has an ability to actually find meaning and purpose within the comedy. It actually has a lot to say about education, relationships and people in general. While it might not have you dying in your seat, I think it's a genuinely well made movie that will definitely be easy to watch again and still enjoy just as much.
Anthony L

January 8, 2014
Bad Teacher isn't a good film, in fact it's pretty horrid. That said, I still didn't mind it so much and I even laughed out a couple of times. It's the characters that are likely to offend, people in the teaching profession won't be happy either but then that would be taking the film far too seriously - something that shouldn't be done.
Daniel P

July 3, 2011
To my unfortunate surprise, I found this film excruciating to watch, and terribly unfunny. With the exception of Justin Timberlake, I thought the acting was good and the story believable, but there was something missing here - mainly, the characters seemed really inconsistently written, to the point where, from scene to scene, I wasn't always sure I was still watching the same movie. I understand that we weren't supposed to like Cameron Diaz's, but midway through, the story seems to decide it does want us to root for her after all and changes in tone. Too bad. If this movie had really gone for it, it could've found Bad Santa territory.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

June 7, 2012
They couldn't fine someone else to play the part of the Bad Teacher, I mean Camernon Diaz is way past her prime as an attractive high school teacher, more of a want to be attractive, but looking more like a washed up New Jersey Soccer Mom. This is not a kids movie by any means. Pretty trashy, but I rest assured that parents that let there kids watch the simsons will find nothing wrong with this film. 1 1/2 stars
Raymond W

April 24, 2012
Bad Teacher is sometimes actually quite funny, and at other times it had me chuckling at how utterly stupid it was. The acting for the most part felt really overdone, but I did enjoy watching Jason Segel, Lucy Punch and Phyllis Smith. Cameron Diaz was pretty good, but her character was just too annoying to be likeable. Bad Teacher could have been so much better and funnier, and squanders it's potential with some truly horrible dialogue and some really awkward moments.
Dan S

February 25, 2012
A sometimes hysterical satire on the teaching crisis in America, detailing the life of one messed up individual (Cameron Diaz) and how she keeps skating by while attempting to marry a rich man in hopes that she will never have to work again. As said, it is an occasionally very, very funny film, sporting a monster of a performance from Diaz who turns in some of her best work in quite some time. However, the premise starts to wear thin by the halfway mark, and the remaining half of the movie feels like filler material instead of organic story-telling. Still, the first half of the film has some sharp dialogue and well-developed characters that fit nicely into the story. Definitely not a film for everyone, Diaz's character is a beast of vulgarity and immorality that no child should ever receive lessons from in life.
Cynthia S

May 16, 2011
Bad Teacher. Not so great movie. Even this talented cast couldn't help the lame storyline.
cosmo313
cosmo313

April 6, 2011
Elizabeth Halsey is a gold-digging, foul-mouthed teacher who half-asses her way through her job and would rather spend her time drinking, smoking pot, and relying on a man's money to get her through life. When her fiancee dumps her, she's forced to return to the teaching job she thought she could leave behind. While there, she starts lusting after an attractive substitute who comes from a wealthy family and decides to start raising money so she can get a boob job to make her more desirable and hopefully become his main squeeze.

Right off the bat, this film starts to draw some mild comparisons to Bad Santa, though here the concept of a down and out vulgar loser isn't taking to the fullest level, and there's also no real sense of heart or emotional connection. Instead the film comes off more like a cheeky farce, and more like a feature length SNL type of skit.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the film really isn't all that funny or interesting. There's a couple of moments that are actually pretty funny, and a handful of chuckle worhy instances, but for the most part the laughs just don't work and it feels like they wussed out in the raunch department, which is silly since they did get the go-ahead for an R.

Luckily, Cameron Diaz gives a passable performance, and the car wash and dodgeball scenes are two of the better moments. Segel and Lennon are both also notable for their decent performances, but the three of them are really the only ones who seem to be attempting to create genuine characters as opposed to Punch and Timberlake who really come off as phony caricatures, and Smith who basically rehashes her role from The Office.

The film's not awful, but it's really a missed opportunity. I wasn't bored, but I wasn't blown away. I did dig Elizabeth's choices of movies she shows to her class, and, while the film is kinda blase, it will do in a pinch if you're really bored, the weather sucks outside, there's nothing else on, and you're not expecting something great but still need to occupy 92 minutes of your life in some way.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

December 27, 2011
three stars
thmtsang
thmtsang

December 25, 2011
Funny movie about a bad teacher. Cameron Diaz is a gold digger who gets dumped so she has to work as a teacher. She cheats to win a bonus, steals from the kids' fundraising car wash and gets off with a teacher (Justin Timberlake).
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

June 5, 2011
Bad Teacher was just stupid, nothing more, nothing less. After being dumped by her fiancee, Elizibeth (Cameron Diaz) has to come back to her teacher job which she hates, and she is horrible at it. Amy Squirrel (Lucy Punch) is a hyperactive crazy teacher and starts to suspect Elizibeth of Drugs and cheating on the State Test. But the main plot is about after Elizibeth gets dumped, she meets Scott Delacorte (Justin Timberlake) a sensitive and rich guy who Elizibeth thinks will take care of her and buy her whatever she wants, but he recently got out of a relationship with a girl with large breasts, leading Elizibeth to think she needs breats implants, and she will not rest until she gets the money to pay for them, using even her students to ge her way. The plot is so boring and pointless it made me mad, nothing happens for and hour and a half, but its so slow it seemed like 2 hours, you could describe the plot as "a teacher wants to nail Justin Timberlake so she needs new boobs." Cameron Diaz is doing a new character in this, and in a way, its a good new change for her. Justin Timberlake is the show stealer here, he is funny, weird, and perfect for his role he was given. Jason Segal is a really funny guy, but they only use him in a few scenes, which was stupid because he is a hilarious guy. The comedy is the main problem with the film, it is at least 25 minutesper laugh, I am not kidding you, there is one hilarious scene with Cameron and Justin having non-penetrative sex, and that was the funniest part in the film, other than that there are a few chuckles every 25 minutes and the we sit there bored out of our minds. I didn't enjoy Bad Teacher, but I overall did like most of the cast, except Lucy Punch, I have never liked her.
Emile T

June 25, 2011
Some lines are pretty funny, but the whole is an insult to the viewer's intelligence from start to finish. This has a bad screenplay, a bad direction worsened by bad editing and bad cinematography and the only decent performances are from supporting roles (and I am not talking about Justin Timberlake). When you can point at all of the scenes that felt like they were specifically added to make up for its inconsistencies and its stupid plot, the whole project should have just been aborted...
blkbomb
blkbomb

November 28, 2011
Elizabeth Halsey: Did you know I walked in on him trying to fuck his dog? Peanut butter everywhere.

"She doesn't give an "F"."

I liked Bad Teacher. Despite all the bad things I had heard about it, it turned out to be a pretty funny little movie. Nothing special, but I wasn't expecting anything special. The movie has a great cast and a cool, if not entirely original plot.

A teacher tries to get with a man that can take of her. She is a gold digger looking for that special someone who has everything she wants; namely a sick car and a huge bank account. She is constantly going after a rich substitute teacher, and fighting off the advances of an average gym teacher. She also has to deal with a more than energetic super teacher. Like I said, the plot isn't original, but it is extremely fun to watch.

Cameron Diaz is the reason to watch this movie. She gives a funny performance as the Bad Teacher. I wish this movie had been made 5-10 years ago when she was crazy hot. Don't get me wrong, she is still banging, but damn, her in this role a few years back would have been awesome. The rest of the cast is great too. One of my favorites, Jason Segal is in the film and I'll watch anything he is in. Justin Timberlake and Lucy Punch are also fun to watch.

I didn't really like where the movie went towards the end, but I'm willing to forgive plot mistakes because it doesn't really matter with a movie like this. The movie is what it needs to be and that is a funny, entertaining and highly watchable comedy. It didn't make any promises of being more than that.
Tim S

November 15, 2011
Ugh. This movie is awful. Definitely needed more Jason Segel. And Justin Timberlake is absolutely atrocious in this movie as if his entire part was a really, really, really bad SNL skit that seems to never end. I laughed a couple of times but those were also the same parts in the trailer that were funny.
Nicki M

November 11, 2011
Really enjoyed this movie. Yes, Cameron's character is pretty vile for most of it, but I found her amusing and it was funny in a black way. It's not often you see a character in a movie this shallow and self obsessed, I really quite liked her style, although i wouldn't like to come across her in real life! What a b#%^*h. Haha.
This reminded me a lot of a female Bad Santa. It is even set over Christmas time!
Justin Timberlake I could of well done without. He puts me off anyhow, but that dry hump scene - yeech! Jason Segal plays the same character he always plays.
If you have a black sense of humor, or just want to watch Cameron looking fabulous - this is the movie for you!
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
This film is messed up on so many levels. Any teacher who drinks, does drugs, swears liberally, etc. in front of her class is much more than just a bad teacher.

The story tells of a gold digger (Cameron Diaz) who is dumped by her fiancĂ (C)e. While in search for another man, she teaches. (But she still can't help but to badly influence her class!)

If that plot sounded shallow, good for you, because there is a very loose amount of plot here. The good it could have been is sadly overrun by countless vulgar (and typically not even funny) jokes. If you want to see a good Justin Timberlake film, go rent THE SOCIAL NETWORK.
Josh L

November 1, 2011
Starts off well enough thanks to a fiery performance from Cameron Diaz who spits out gross humor and naughty bits like she does it all the time, but by the end of it I was underwhelmed. It started off as a good premise and had the laughs going for awhile, but it overstayed its welcome and eventually became pointless and boring. It's only funny the first and maybe the second time you do something, but if you repeatedly do it then it becomes repetitive and stale. There was no creativity and freshness by the half way point. Not a good sign.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 16, 2010
Cast:Cameron Diaz, Lucy Punch, Jason Segel, Justin Timberlake, Phyllis Smith, John Michael Higgins, Dave Allen, Jillian Armenante, Matthew J. Evans

Director:Jake Kasdan

Summary: Cameron Diaz stars as Elizabeth Halsey, a scheming and coarse-tongued middle school teacher who gets dumped by her wealthy boyfriend and rebounds by sinking her claws into a handsome substitute teacher (Justin Timberlake).

My Thoughts: "This is a type of comedy where you keep waiting for the laughs to come but they never do. I enjoyed Cameron Diaz in this vulgar raunchy character, but I didn't find the character funny, just highly unlikable. None of the character's were very likable besides Jason Segel, who seemed to be the only funny one in the film. Inappropriate behavior and a raunchy dialogue doesn't make a great comedy if the script fails to be funny. I guess some will enjoy this and other's will find it a less then average comedy like myself. Disappointment and a waste of a rental is my feelings after seeing this film."
Scott G

October 27, 2011
Obviously 'Bad' doesn't describe this film, disgraceful cuts the grade more like.